Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

This is awesome as gently caress thanks for sharing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.
Ran a trackday this weekend. Did the usual tank cam, with a twist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRcJc-JA_ak

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Very nice how much did the gyro setup cost?

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

KidDynamite posted:

Very nice how much did the gyro setup cost?

It was custom built, but uses a contour roam. It was feature on hackaday:
http://hackaday.com/2012/10/26/gyrocam-keeps-the-horizon-level-even-when-the-camera-isnt/

Roughly $500 in parts.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

_Dav posted:

The screen gives me clean air into the helmet (2012 model Speed Triple), I imagine the visor would give me air blast into the face. I also think the visor addition looks like poo poo.

Hmm, interesting.

I have liked the visor on previous gen triples, I presume that will continue on the new one. It just looks unfinished without it, IMO. Hooray for personal preference. :) Wind blast would suck if it's worse than a full naked though.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

KidDynamite posted:

This is awesome as gently caress thanks for sharing.

Seconding that, really good. Thanks.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Revenant.Eagle posted:

It was custom built, but uses a contour roam. It was feature on hackaday:
http://hackaday.com/2012/10/26/gyrocam-keeps-the-horizon-level-even-when-the-camera-isnt/

Roughly $500 in parts.

Why does Jared run a thumb rear brake?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Yes, gently caress E.T.

Detroit117
Mar 28, 2012

Wings Of Steel

Odette posted:

I want a closer look at that funky looking exhaust!

Sagebrush posted:

That's one of the few Harleys that I've seen that doesn't cover the battery, but also has it nicely integrated instead of just a chunk stuck on the side.

:lol: at the square steel extrusion they used as an exhaust, though. Might as well just leave it open.

The exhaust I one of my favorite parts of the bike. I do really hope that the box is some form of muffler, and the pipes run the length of it.

clutchpuck posted:

This looks cool but I can't help but think you could put less work and money into making an old tube frame Lightning look the part; it already works the part from the factory.

Building it out of a Buell would be cheaper, easier, and you would probably end up with a better bike. That being said, I think making it out of a clunky cruiser is much more fun.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Whoa. How would one steer that thing?

From Yemen, tried and true expressions of freedom:

quote:

Uneasy riders: Yemeni motorcycle-taxi drivers protest hard security measures taken against bikers with no registration plates in Sana'a. Photograph: Yahya Arhab/EPA

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/2012/nov/08/picture-desk-live-the-best-news-pictures-of-the-day

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Why does Jared run a thumb rear brake?

He doesn't. He likes his levers angled quite low, so from that perspective it looks like a thumb lever.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Revenant.Eagle posted:

He doesn't. He likes his levers angled quite low, so from that perspective it looks like a thumb lever.

Ahhhh, I see it now :)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Dirtbike running on compressed air out of "standard" (assuming 200 bar, 15 litres) scuba tank. Interesting, although I think the quoted 100km range, 140kph top speed is a tad optimistic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZXVH-r684o

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
That is really loving cool even if it only gets half the range. Too bad a scuba compressor cost more than many bikes...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Whoa...I've heard about it many times, but never thought it was good for more than a few kms. First disadvantage I can think of, available power starts declining right away as stored pressure drops.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
From what info I can find, it seems that the engine used in the bike modulates power via pressure. So that would mean you'd be correct, unless the max pressure (and hence power ouput) of the engine is lower than the max pressure of the tank.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Nidhg00670000 posted:

From what info I can find, it seems that the engine used in the bike modulates power via pressure. So that would mean you'd be correct, unless the max pressure (and hence power ouput) of the engine is lower than the max pressure of the tank.

You'd think they'd have a regulator and run it at a lowish pressure compared to peak tank pressure.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

He said ~140km range, but it sounded like they had it on some sort of dyno or maybe even some sort of odometer. Do dynos factor in the weight of the bike and rider with their resistance? Just freewheeling for 140kms is a lot less impressive, but these are drat cool. Cost aside, would other gases like CO2 be more powerful than scuba gear?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
At least when I played paintball-- forever ago, the pros used nitrogen systems. I believe they operated at a higher pressure, and possibly didn't freeze out like CO2 guns would when fired rapidly.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

TheDon01 posted:

He said ~140km range, but it sounded like they had it on some sort of dyno or maybe even some sort of odometer. Do dynos factor in the weight of the bike and rider with their resistance? Just freewheeling for 140kms is a lot less impressive, but these are drat cool. Cost aside, would other gases like CO2 be more powerful than scuba gear?

You'd also have to increase the dyno resistance non-linearly with rotational speed to account for the expected wind resistance.

It's a very cool idea, but I can't help but feel like it's even less practical than an electric bike. You can at least recharge a battery pack with nothing more complex than a wall socket and a transformer.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I dug around a bit. The guy's own blog doesn't have a lot of info on how the bike actually works, mostly pictures of the design process.

This seems to be the engine he's using: http://www.engineair.com.au/

And a pretty shoddy video of him riding it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7ZHY8V-UDA

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.
Why does his logo have a tampon?

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Dzus posted:

Why does his logo have a tampon?
He's trying to "pull the plug" on reliance of fossil fuels.

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
I want to be the first person to put a whistle tip on an air powered bike.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Hey peeps! This is An observer, I'm an idiot and can't password recover my other account.

Anyway, yesterday I went for a hike at Muir Woods and saw this bike that apparently came all the way down from alaska:

With a jerry can and everything!

Saw the rider coming out of the forest with high viz warm gear. He looked beat to poo poo.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

http://youtu.be/THOO0Z-gfQI

Like giving children a gun.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ugh, that's really going to be some nasty rash on his tailbone and spine.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

This is always parked in a little strip mall near my house in the same spot. Such a good looking bike.

Someone parked like a complete dong in front of my bike at work the other day :wtc:.
I always back in nicely and often other coworkers and random members of the public will park their bikes/scooters lined neatly up next to me. This dude apparently couldn't be assed to park correctly. His front tire was nearly touching my shift lever (photo doesn't show quite how close he was). When I first drove by in the work truck I panicked briefly thinking someone had crashed into me:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Why would you park like that? What a massive douche.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
This is for sale on my local Craigslist, and it lists specifically that it's "never been off-road"

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Maybe they live in a place where beaches are roads?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

To play Devil's advocate maybe he parked it there for the photo (because it does look a lot nicer/cooler than were it in front of a garage or in the driveway or something) and then carefully rode it out of the sand.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Someone parked like a complete dong in front of my bike at work the other day :wtc:.
I always back in nicely and often other coworkers and random members of the public will park their bikes/scooters lined neatly up next to me. This dude apparently couldn't be assed to park correctly. His front tire was nearly touching my shift lever (photo doesn't show quite how close he was). When I first drove by in the work truck I panicked briefly thinking someone had crashed into me:

Some steaming fat human being in a lovely Ford Taurus with a massive Harley Davidson sticker taking up his entire rear windshield parked nearly diagonally in such a way that I could barely get my bike out of the parking spot, presumably because I have a Suzuki sport tourer. I saw him walking around in his bright orange Harley long sleeve and wanted to punch him in the dick but didn't because I'm above stereotypical Harley-is-my-brand-but-I-am-still-saving-for-one individuals.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Found this guys channel pretty much by accident, if you've ever wanted to know what riding through London traffic is like well, this is pretty representative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hd41WJR-zs

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Found this guys channel pretty much by accident, if you've ever wanted to know what riding through London traffic is like well, this is pretty representative:

my friend has been posting a few of these up on Facebook, but I haven't had a chance to watch any of them yet. I think he commutes from somewhere in southwest/surrey. (Baron von Grumble, not my friend..)

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 12, 2012

grunthaas
Mar 4, 2003

M42 posted:

Hey peeps! This is An observer, I'm an idiot and can't password recover my other account.

Anyway, yesterday I went for a hike at Muir Woods and saw this bike that apparently came all the way down from alaska:

With a jerry can and everything!

Saw the rider coming out of the forest with high viz warm gear. He looked beat to poo poo.

Have you got any hi-res versions of these? That looks very much like an XL250, Ive got one Im going to re-build into something and those pics look like good inspiration.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Thanks for posting - just watched them all, some funny stuff.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

hayden. posted:

This is for sale on my local Craigslist, and it lists specifically that it's "never been off-road"

In Washington, ocean beaches are public roads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Not so sure about the seat (feels a wee bit unbalanced) but goddamn do I love huge tires!