Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Hasn't Onlive been dead for months now?
The whole point of that mess was that they didn't go out of business, they just started up a new one to escape debt and gently caress over their employees' benefits. It's still going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Hasn't Onlive been dead for months now?

Yes and no. I'm just referring to a generic similar service.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Game over. Wrap it up, Wii U-ailures.

And you thought the iPhone killing handheld gaming argument was dumb.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There's got to be a reason console sales have slowed down since the last new console was released six years ago... but what could it possibly be?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Almost Smart posted:

This literally made me laugh:

quote:

Zynga's Neurath, who's worked with consoles and PCs since the 8-bit days, says console makers would do well to act more like nontraditional platforms. A new console dubbed Ouya will launch next year with free-to-play games and a $99 launch price, but keep the focus on what its manufacturer calls "TV gaming."

People still think that's gonna be made? People still think that's gonna be significant?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Of course. It'll be a beast, just like my Phantom.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Japanese site says you can use your Premium cash-back points on anything on the store, including DLC, in case anyone was still worried.

Also, when you compare the prices of Japanese retail games with their download versions there some decent discounts:

quote:

FIFA 13

- Package: 7665 yen
- Download: 7665 yen

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
- Package: 7140 yen
- Download: 6300 yen

Musou Orochi 3 Hyper
- Package: 7140 yen

Nintendo Land
- Package: 4935 yen
- Download: 4935 yen

New Super Mario Bros. U
- Package: 5985 yen
- Download: 5985 yen

Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition
- Package: 6980 yen
- Download: 6280 yen

Assassin's Creed III
- Package: 7770 yen
- Download: 6930 yen

ZombiU
- Package: 6980 yen

Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition
- Package: 5980 yen
- Download: 5480 yen

Post-launch:

Simple Series for Wii U Vol. 1
- Download: 2940 yen

Sports Connection
- Package: 4800 yen
- Download: 4200 yen

Romance of the Three Kingdoms 12
- Package: 9240 yen
- Download: 8000 yen

Hopefully third-party publishers are this free to lower the standard price of their digital games outside of Japan, for both Wii U and 3DS.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

The Japanese site says you can use your Premium cash-back points on anything on the store, including DLC, in case anyone was still worried.

There's a NA site too. http://ddp.nintendo.com/

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So is "The death of console gaming!" gonna be the new "PC gaming is dead!" now? Cause I'm still waiting for the PC one to come true

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Ubisoft planning to put their retail stuff on the eShop too:
http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/9/3623034/ubisofts-wii-u-plans-include-uplay-support-selling-full-retail-games

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So is "The death of console gaming!" gonna be the new "PC gaming is dead!" now? Cause I'm still waiting for the PC one to come true
Just in time for the Steam console to save console gaming!

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Almost Smart posted:

They asked Zynga why games that are not Zynga's games are not selling as well as theirs.

And the article states that consoles arn't selling like the new Iphone therefore consoles are dying. They're also saying that the Ouya is a credible alternative to current console models.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 10, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
That stupid article:

quote:

A first step would be fresher consoles themselves. The Xbox 360 is 7 years old, while the Wii and the PlayStation 3 are both 6.

There seems to be pictures of some new console throughout that article. I wonder who is releasing it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Who remembers that shameful 3DS review by the kid who "grew up on HALO" from last year? It was CNN, too.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

That stupid article:

There seems to be pictures of some new console throughout that article. I wonder who is releasing it.

They're not complaining about releasing new consoles. They complaining that you don't have to re-buy them every year with "upgrades" like the apple consumer electronics.

You see they're not keeping it fresh by routninely pillaging their demographic's wallet every year for a 500 dollar piece of hardware that preforms almost exactly like the last one.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Vaerai Archon posted:

They're not complaining about releasing new consoles. They complaining that you don't have to re-buy them every year with "upgrades" like the apple consumer electronics.

You see they're not keeping it fresh by routninely pillaging their demographic's wallet every year for a 500 dollar piece of hardware that preforms almost exactly like the last one.

Instead they're gonna do it every five years!

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bobnumerotres posted:

Instead they're gonna do it every five years!

Those monsters, they're forcing me to spend that few hundred dollars of money in that 5 year period on games instead. Games that will use 5 year old technology. They dare charge me sixty whole american dollars(with tax). In this day in age I can buy the newest version of farmville for a single dollar which uses newer technology on a platform that's updated yearly.

I am outraged! OUTRAGED! :black101:

Seriously though if you're paying full price for a new release you're not shopping right. Most places take off 20-40 dollars by means of giving you a giftcard for that ammount for your next purchase.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 10, 2012

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I read all of that article, let me save everyone time and post the relevant parts:

quote:

Editor's Note: Since 2005, Blake Snow has covered video games and other male-interest topics for some of the biggest names in journalism. He lives in Utah

It goes as you'd expect from there.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
CNN :negative:

Speaking of random outlets covering video games these days, Forbes played the Wii U version of Sonic Racing:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/andyrobertson/2012/11/08/sonic-all-stars-racing-transformed-plays-its-wii-u-multiplayer-trump-card/

tl;dr: He has three kids so the extra fifth player over other versions is nice, plus multiplayer being in seemingly in every mode. Plus he liked the lack of blue shell and lightning bolt :laugh:

And new video showing off some of the Wii U version's features:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7b5h7wthYE

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Forbes is one of the better video game journalism outlets surprisingly.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
[quote="japtor" post="And new video showing off some of the Wii U version's features:
[/quote]

japtor posted:

Added to the OP, thanks.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Probably not huge news, but Madden, Fifa, Assassin's Creed 3, and Just Dance 4 will all be available to purchase this Tuesday. Probably want to get Assassin's Creed 3 ASAP if it interests you.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Isn't CNN the one who keeps thinking the Wii U is just a controller that upgrades the Wii?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Rirse posted:

Isn't CNN the one who keeps thinking the Wii U is just a controller that upgrades the Wii?

Yes, mindbogglingly there was an article saying this a year after the system had been announced.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Blake Snow
The comment section is :psyduck:

Scribblenauts is 30 bucks on PC only, right?

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

japtor posted:

CNN :negative:

Speaking of random outlets covering video games these days, Forbes played the Wii U version of Sonic Racing:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/andyrobertson/2012/11/08/sonic-all-stars-racing-transformed-plays-its-wii-u-multiplayer-trump-card/

tl;dr: He has three kids so the extra fifth player over other versions is nice, plus multiplayer being in seemingly in every mode. Plus he liked the lack of blue shell and lightning bolt :laugh:

I just might pick up this game for the Wii U. Why? I'm really excited about the ability to play 2-player multiplayer with the other one hogging the tv-screen, while the other has the tablet-controller. No need for split-screen! I enjoyed the previous Sonic racing-game, so I have faith in the overall quality of this title, too.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
Some details on the non-game software. Notably:

• Wii mode is just like the Wii's GCN mode (they even have to have a special channel to quit back to Wii U). Additionally, it does seem like you'll have to redownload things. :sigh:
  • The Home menu is a combination of the Wii's and the 3DS', though unlike the latter it doesn't look like you can just browse the applications when suspended. Friend List, Miiverse, eShop, Internet Browser, TVii, and Download Manager are available when suspended; the latter I believe is new, and likely it allows you to keep playing while eShop content is being downloaded, and cancel it if needed.
  • The Miiverse is pretty standard stuff; activity feed, game-specific communities, user-to-user messaging.
  • The Miiverse User Profile (image, presumably translated), which seems to confirm that the NinNet ID is a user-defined name, not a Friend Code with benefits ("willwill" in this example), and is separate from the familiar name ("Will" in this example).
  • Additionally, you can just follow users, instead of becoming friends. Likely this means you don't require mutual agreement, but can't, say, video chat. You can still do a traditional online friend request.
  • The MiiMaker is almost identical to the 3DS version, including the nifty camera feature.
  • eShop seems pretty standard, though it looks like it's going to be Wii U only. All original Wii stuff has to be handled in Wii mode through the Shop Channel.
  • Internet Browser supports up to six tabs.

I'm personally very excited to see a lot of the improvements brought through Miiverse, especially the loss of Friend Codes. I know that's a baby step, but it's a good baby step.

I'm less thrilled about the Wii Mode not even getting the same treatment DSi games got on the 3DS (same shop, don't need separate menu). I was under the impression that the Game Pad had a Sensor Bar built-in around it's camera; surely it wouldn't be hard to make Wii Mode load into the controller instead of the TV? And further, use the Game Pad's controls as if it were a Classic Controller? Or is the Wii's OS stack too messed up to allow that?

Mennonites Revenge fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Nov 10, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Wii doesn't have a real OS.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I feel like all the issues with Wii mode would be moot if the Gamepad at least duplicated the TV's display and were interpreted as a Classic Controller, but maybe even that wasn't feasible.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Whelp, I just spotted my first Wii U scalper. On my local craigslist someone is selling his pre-order from Wal-mart for $600. :rolleyes:

I'm finding myself hoping that the Wii U gets off to a PS3 style slow start just so that anyone who does try this kind of stuff gets burned as badly as the PS3 guys did six years ago.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Random Stranger posted:

Whelp, I just spotted my first Wii U scalper. On my local craigslist someone is selling his pre-order from Wal-mart for $600. :rolleyes:

I'm finding myself hoping that the Wii U gets off to a PS3 style slow start just so that anyone who does try this kind of stuff gets burned as badly as the PS3 guys did six years ago.

Friend of mine's sister sold HIS ticket $1000. She then proceeded to tell him that she'd try to get him a normal 8 wii-u with it :v:;

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Random Stranger posted:

If you're not making money off of impatient nerds you are missing half the fun of console launches. I ended up with 2 Wii consoles on release day because I didn't trust either of the places I preordered at and sold the extra one for ~350€ when they launched at 250€ here. No regrets. It works both ways though, if you were dumb enough to buy PS3s to resell you deserve to lose your money.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Katana Gomai posted:

If you're not making money off of impatient nerds you are missing half the fun of console launches. I ended up with 2 Wii consoles on release day because I didn't trust either of the places I preordered at and sold the extra one for ~350€ when they launched at 250€ here. No regrets.

If I had the money I would have definitely picked up a Deluxe on the first day just to sell at an inflated price. I wouldn't have felt guilty either because here in :canada: there are still plenty of Basic's to purchase at some stores. But I got my money late so I just got a Basic for myself.

Aeros Wilhelm
Sep 2, 2011

I have a walmart and a gamestop relatively nearby. My plan is to get one for me then sell the other right there for 450$. Both Deluxe versions.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Germany is weird in that Amazon has been sold out for a while but GameStop and our big retailers (think BestBuy) are still taking preorders. In fact, I have a fully paid one at one of them (I had 400€ left in store credit) and put in another one at a different store that required no money down. If the WiiU becomes as rare as the Wii, I'll just go pick that up as well for a quick buck.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Almost Smart posted:

Given current trends in the industry, I don't think it's at all unreasonable to think that Wii U and the next Sony/Microsoft consoles will be the last consoles (in the traditional sense) that we see.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

FoneBone posted:

Given current trends in the industry, I don't think it's at all unreasonable to think that Wii U and the next Sony/Microsoft consoles will be the last consoles (in the traditional sense) that we see.

Personally I think the future is a mobile phone that you can plug into various shells to use in different ways, such as a desktop computer or a gaming console. I don't think there will be the cohesion required on this front for this to be common by the next generation. I think we'll get at least one more cycle out.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Boten Anna posted:

Personally I think the future is a mobile phone that you can plug into various shells to use in different ways, such as a desktop computer or a gaming console. I don't think there will be the cohesion required on this front for this to be common by the next generation. I think we'll get at least one more cycle out.

There are already Windows 8 tablets out that can play Black Ops 2, you can plug them into any screen via HDMI cable.

Desktop computers will forever offer the most power for your buck, but it wasn't too long ago that gaming laptops were a joke since they cost 2~3x the money for similar specs and weighed as much as a cinderblock. Now you're paying 20~40% more for similar specs on a good-sized, light-weight laptop, and that gap is narrowing with each wave of laptop releases. Tablets are NOT far behind, and smartphones will follow.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O5YTEhlAho Updated nano assault neo trailer.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 10, 2012

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
You kids are cute with your plugging things into things future. :allears:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I wonder if the eyeball computer chips more powerful than today's super computers that we'll all have by 2025 will support distributed computing to play the most taxing games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I wonder if the eyeball computer chips more powerful than today's super computers that we'll all have by 2025 will support distributed computing to play the most taxing games.

Obvious just the screen will be in your eye. Streaming from somewhere. So it's whatever your hooked into.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 10, 2012

• Locked thread