Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah, there's a very specific strategy you need to employ to win that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x!te bike
May 2, 2008

I just realized that screenshot was probably taken an instant before dying. There's no way he could avoid that rocket. The real protip is circlestrafe like a motherfucker.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
You can completely cheat, though. Here's how to do it. If you stay inside the starting room, wait for the cyberdemon to get in one of the adjoining rooms, and then camp on the stairs opposite that room. The demon's rockets will blow up on the switch pillar in the middle; whereas your attacks will fly above it.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
Well, I got further in the game... I got locked in a room?

:smithicide:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Open the walls with the little lights in front of them.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
You should turn aspect scaling on (under [render] in dosbox.conf, set aspect=true). Doom renders at 320x200 in DOS but is meant to be displayed at a 4:3 configuration.

Also consider Chocolate Doom if you want an authentic Doom experience with some modern amenities like scroll wheel support.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:

Kakumei posted:

Open the walls with the little lights in front of them.

Heh, I ran around the room bashing spacebar and somehow missed them both. :downs:

Segmentation Fault posted:

You should turn aspect scaling on (under [render] in dosbox.conf, set aspect=true). Doom renders at 320x200 in DOS but is meant to be displayed at a 4:3 configuration.

Also consider Chocolate Doom if you want an authentic Doom experience with some modern amenities like scroll wheel support.

Guess I'll sort that out to.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

A Sloth posted:

Oh goodness is this your first time playing through? I'm so jealous :)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

WHOIS John Galt posted:

No kidding. What I would give for that experience again :allears:

x!te bike
May 2, 2008

Ah the experience of Doom's mean and spiteful later maps.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

x!te bike posted:

Ah the experience of Doom's mean and spiteful later maps.
That's one of the great things about Doom, it doesn't particularly want you to win.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I like Doom's levels way better than Doom2's. Maybe it's because it's more structured. Or just that gleeful rush of finally playing Episode 2 and 3.

Reive
May 21, 2009

A Sloth posted:

You're playing it for the first time in Dosbox? Are you using keyboard only controls as well? Now if you only just had a dos machine with a half broken CRT that constantly flickered you'd be living the dream!

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
There's actually an Atari emulator out there that introduces color bleeding and noise and other elements of CRT gaming. Maybe there's something like that for Dosbox?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

WHOIS John Galt posted:

Quick question, as somebody who is currently playing through Doom 2 for the first time: is there any way to make the city levels less painful? Playing Doom earlier this year wasn't so bad, but these city levels... they're not difficult (I started playing them to take a break from the ball-breaking difficulty of Scythe2), they're just bland.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

catlord posted:

Quick question, as somebody who is currently playing through Doom 2 for the first time: is there any way to make the city levels less painful? Playing Doom earlier this year wasn't so bad, but these city levels... they're not difficult (I started playing them to take a break from the ball-breaking difficulty of Scythe2), they're just bland.

Skip them? Doom's levels are usually designed to be possible on a pistol start (since before autosaves, you'd restart the level with a pistol and fifty rounds)

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

There's actually an Atari emulator out there that introduces color bleeding and noise and other elements of CRT gaming. Maybe there's something like that for Dosbox?

http://boxerapp.com/blog/2012/10/21/positively-agog/ (scroll down a bit)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

That wouldn't be very accurate for DOOM unless your monitor was really hosed back then. Most of the things you describe are caused by using composite video or an rf adapter to pipe the video to a standard def TV set, and you don't get them playing DOOM on an old PC with a monitor hooked up by VGA!

They'd happen on 80s computers that frequently used composite video of some kind, but not on something that ran DOOM correctly.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah I had a 14'' CTR screen back in the days and never had problems with it (it came with my old 486 DX2) and I replaced it around 1999 with an awesome AOC 17'' that allowed me to play Unreal @ 1600x1200 :c00lbert:

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Wow, that's awesome. It took me hours to get cgwg's CRT shader to work with MAME. Nice to see it's getting bundled with Boxer.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The charmers over at OldUnreal have released v227i of their quasi-official patch for Unreal 1. If you haven't used the OldUnreal patch before, it adds modern renderer plugins, anticheat (Wait, people still play Unreal 1 online?!?), many bug fixes, an improved version of the updated UnrealEd from UT, a new sound system, and a native Linux port. Good stuff, and as close to a source port as we'll ever get for an Unreal game.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

The charmers over at OldUnreal have released v227i of their quasi-official patch for Unreal 1. If you haven't used the OldUnreal patch before, it adds modern renderer plugins, anticheat (Wait, people still play Unreal 1 online?!?), many bug fixes, an improved version of the updated UnrealEd from UT, a new sound system, and a native Linux port. Good stuff, and as close to a source port as we'll ever get for an Unreal game.

While we are at it, linked on the OldUnreal site you can find the hi-res textures for both Unreal Gold and UT. This patch and the textures gives new life to the games!

http://www.unrealtexture.com/ Make sure you use at least the High-end packages (Extreme-end are a bit too much).

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
As one more PSA, Unreal is one of the games released during a particular window in time that can have bad mouse acceleration behavior these days, so it benefits from http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.com/

Edit: although the patch notes this time around indicate that they may have addressed that...

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm getting Doom 3: BFG Edition (360 version).

Will I regret this like I did the first time I bought it? :ohdear:

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

I'm getting Doom 3: BFG Edition (360 version).

Will I regret this like I did the first time I bought it? :ohdear:

I don't know man. With black friday coming up, I'm (assuming) BFG will be pretty cheap. I am VERY tempted to pick it up. :(

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Do you have an Oculus Rift? If not, you will be disappointed again and this time there are no mods to save you.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Apparently BFG Edition changes a lot of random poo poo in the original Doom episodes that come with it. I guess the Red Cross finally sought legal action against them for the red crosses on the stimpaks and medikits, so those have been replaced with ugly, poorly drawn pills. They also cut out the title screens and from what I've heard they also changed the secret levels in Doom 2 for some reason. Are they really that big of a change? No, not really. But it irks me.

What I'm saying is if you're getting it because it comes with Doom and Doom 2, I don't think it's worth it. If you already own them, definitely not. As for the Doom 3 part, maybe if you don't already have it or if you desperately want the changes it makes to the engine, it might be a good idea.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Apparently BFG Edition changes a lot of random poo poo in the original Doom episodes that come with it. I guess the Red Cross finally sought legal action against them for the red crosses on the stimpaks and medikits, so those have been replaced with ugly, poorly drawn pills. They also cut out the title screens and from what I've heard they also changed the secret levels in Doom 2 for some reason. Are they really that big of a change? No, not really. But it irks me.

What I'm saying is if you're getting it because it comes with Doom and Doom 2, I don't think it's worth it. If you already own them, definitely not. As for the Doom 3 part, maybe if you don't already have it or if you desperately want the changes it makes to the engine, it might be a good idea.

They removed all Nazi/Hitler references from the game, and removed the Wolfen Guards
from the game. They are replaced by zombies. Just found out about it.

I think this is a big 'pass' for me. If I really want to play Doom3, I'll pick up the xbox1 versions on amazon.

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001
Hopefully this hasn't been answered in the last few pages, or something I missed in the OP but -

Anyone have any recommendations for WADs to play with Brutal Doom? Friend and I just found out the greatness that is Brutal Doom on Zandronum and need some suggestions. Invasion style maps or more straightforward maps are fine too, anything that will still play ok with Brutal Doom. Suggestions for coop settings or adjustments to make this even more fun are welcome as well. Also how the heck do I get my HUD larger at higher resolutions without resorting to the old school HUD?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Morganus_Starr posted:

Hopefully this hasn't been answered in the last few pages, or something I missed in the OP but -

Anyone have any recommendations for WADs to play with Brutal Doom? Friend and I just found out the greatness that is Brutal Doom on Zandronum and need some suggestions. Invasion style maps or more straightforward maps are fine too, anything that will still play ok with Brutal Doom. Suggestions for coop settings or adjustments to make this even more fun are welcome as well. Also how the heck do I get my HUD larger at higher resolutions without resorting to the old school HUD?

Play Memento Mori 2. Holy hell is it completely great with Brutal Doom. I'm about two thirds of the way through on UV, and it has been kicking my rear end in an awesome way.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Kins posted:

Does this allow for HUD scaling? It's really hard to read certain HUD elements with large resolutions and it's one of the things holding me back from playing.

Actually what I think I'd like the most is if I could have the game render at 640x480 and stretch out to a 1280x960 window similar to what Chocolate Doom does.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

CowboyAndy posted:

They removed all Nazi/Hitler references from the game, and removed the Wolfen Guards
from the game. They are replaced by zombies. Just found out about it.

Wow, really? They gave Wolfenstein the Staatmeister treatment again? That's beyond stupid.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wow, really? They gave Wolfenstein the Staatmeister treatment again? That's beyond stupid.

Apparently they didn't want to have one version for Germany and one version for the rest of the world again. This way they can just sell the same game everywhere.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Yeah, ugh.

I'm still waiting to see if No Rest for the Wicked is any good, I'm mostly keeping DooM 3 around for the Classic Doom remake.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Do you have an Oculus Rift? If not, you will be disappointed again and this time there are no mods to save you.
There will be soon - id are currently sorting out a source code release.

JackMackerel posted:

I'm still waiting to see if No Rest for the Wicked is any good
It's fantastic (and an absolute blast with Brutal Doom), but it doesn't really carry BFG Edition by itself.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
I honestly can't imagine BFG being worth it at any rate, really. Unless it makes some changes to Doom 3 apart from cosmetic ones, there's just no appeal. I attempted to play through Doom 3 once and truth be told, I just could not get into it. Shortly after the monsters finally showed up, I just kind of stopped playing. It's like the complete opposite of fun. Walking around in pitch darkness and shooting a monster when it pops out of a hole in the wall is really, really boring.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's the fact that the monsters don't react when you shoot them. Everything is just so lifeless. They stand, you shoot them with your piddly little machine gun, and eventually they fall over.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

They should just sell No Rest for the Living as DLC for Doom 2 on Steam. It's really great. Worlds better than all of the other levels that make up Doom 2.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I would dearly love to see Doom/2 go through a modern publisher approval process

The commentary on the rejection would be priceless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Only the Doom II titlescreen. Ultimate Doom still has its normal title screen. Apparently, it's because they've based it on the XBLA port of Doom II, which had removed the Brom art piece to replace it with a widescreen thing. But here they're not even using the XBLA replacement pic.

There's a full list of differences here. (As well as info on which source ports can be used.)