Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Crion posted:

I see nothing wrong with these instructions. Only with you.

Assembling fajitas has long been a problem for me, I have to admit. At times I've just eaten everything separately. That post was really a cry for help.

e: Ha, what an incredibly unfortunate new page.

Let's discuss Tom Verducci being a jackass.

Synthetic Testosterone will destroy the world.

quote:

One major league scout said he now includes notations in his reports about possible PED use when he sees spikes in performance. He lamented "how dirty" the game has once again become because of the popularity and ease of use of synthetic testosterone.

Well that's...I'm having trouble coming up with any description other than idiotic.

quote:

One head trainer, when asked last month about the popularity of fast-acting synthetic testosterone, replied, "I don't know anything about it." That's the kind of position -- either ignorance or complicity -- that helped put baseball into The Steroid Era in the first place.

This is a good point. I'm sure you wouldn't have excoriated the man if he'd told you everything there was to know about it.

quote:

I argue the rise in usage sends baseball another message: the penalty is far too light. When players calculate the risk-reward ratio, the risk of losing 50 games is insufficient. If the owners and players were truly serious about a clean game, first-time offenders would face a minimum of a one-year ban. Unfortunately, there are no current discussions about amending the penalties.

Lock those fuckers up for life in my opinion. Unfortunate indeed.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Nov 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
This is obviously an acedote but after constantly reading about PED's and both sides of the argument I decided after Melky got popped to start taking a supplement that contains multiple ingredients banned by the MLB and the US Anti-Doping agency for A Future Blog Post (under doctor's supervision) just to personally see how large of an improvement these banned substances give to an average person, let alone a professional athlete. Without spoiling too much (because I obviously want to write this thing and I'm still in the process of working on it), in the past two and a half months since I started, my exercises have improved tenfold (both in quality and length) the recovery time is substantially less, I've lost significant fat while gaining lean mass (from 260 to 235), and my blood pressure has decreased from 130/90 to 110/80. I'm starting to appreciate how much benefit these substances can give, and these aren't even steroids or illegal supplements so I can see why they might be A Big Deal to some

Dick Williams fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 10, 2012

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
That is a really interesting idea, good on you.

Is the supplement something prescribed, or over the counter? Do you mind divulging what your secret muscle juice is or is that giving it away (I am not planning on writing any articles)? I can also say with a fair bit of confidence that you may have gotten similar results without it. How are you planning on accounting for that in your writing?

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 10, 2012

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

Badfinger posted:

That is a really interesting idea, good on you.

Is the supplement something prescribed, or over the counter? Do you mind divulging what your secret muscle juice is or is that giving it away (I am not planning on writing any articles)?

Over the counter and readily available online, I found it YLLS. The main banned supplement is DMAA and a testosterone booster but there's a couple of other goodies in it, I'll probably have it written in the next week or so and then I'm gonna see if anyone's interested in running it

Dick Williams fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 10, 2012

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
Missed your second question, I was in the process of losing weight so I have six or seven months of exercise logs to compare to the past three or so and they're really like night and day. A lot of it could be placebo, some of it might not, but there is a control built in. They'll be pictures and stuff too! I'm really excited about it

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
how much and how long were your workouts before you started taking supplements?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Crazy Ted posted:

Now I'm not saying that Chris Kluwe should shut up and keep his views about Gay Marriage to himself and focus on being an NFL "employee", I'm just saying that he should thank his lucky stars that he hasn't been cut for not shutting up and keeping his views about Gay Marriage to himself and just focusing on being an NFL "employee".
I'm a little surprised none of the terrible sportswriters in this country have said this until now

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

Missed your second question, I was in the process of losing weight so I have six or seven months of exercise logs to compare to the past three or so and they're really like night and day. A lot of it could be placebo, some of it might not, but there is a control built in. They'll be pictures and stuff too! I'm really excited about it

Hopefully you can find a more suitable place to publish what you find than here, but regardless of medium I'll look forward to this.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I CHALLENGE THEE, that's a really cool idea for an article and cant wait to read it.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

Very awesome, questions will be answered!

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I challenge thee, I hope you post in here and make a thread. I want to read it

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Deadspin had a nice today about ESPN's infatuation with Tebow. Fascinating to see how the Skip Bayless stuff bled into the rest of the network. And their listing of journalistic gently caress-ups is astounding.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Sara Ganim is going to CNN: http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/11/sara_ganim_who_won_pulitzer_pr.html#incart_river_default

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Please, please usurp Wolf Blitzer, Sara.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

hcreight posted:

Please, please usurp Wolf Blitzer, Sara.

Love posting dis pic.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Hopefully she gets to do some actual journalism and not just "hey here's a dumb non-story that will be forgotten about in 8 hours, what does twitter have to say about it?"

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Blitzer did do some nice work on Skyfall though.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
If they try and turn her into the female Anderson Cooper it will be such a waste of talent.

Anderson Cooper used to be an investigative journalist, FYI.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PSwm73lCS4

Rick Reilly got caught on camera trying to steal the credit for breaking the Big Ben story from Ed Werder and now we got ourselves a slapfight.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
Crossposting from the NCAA thread: In light of the Hope Solo/Jerramy Stevens saga, here's the Seattle Times investigation into the behavior of Jerramy Stevens. This story does what all good investigative journalism should: It gets out of its own way and lets the facts tell the story.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Frot Lesnar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PSwm73lCS4

Rick Reilly got caught on camera trying to steal the credit for breaking the Big Ben story from Ed Werder and now we got ourselves a slapfight.

The local Pittsburgh reporters who had the story earlier than Reilly did are also quite nonplussed.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Mornacale posted:

The local Pittsburgh reporters who had the story earlier than Reilly did are also quite nonplussed.

They forced Ed Werder to delete his tweet.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Crossposting from the NCAA thread: In light of the Hope Solo/Jerramy Stevens saga, here's the Seattle Times investigation into the behavior of Jerramy Stevens. This story does what all good investigative journalism should: It gets out of its own way and lets the facts tell the story.

Shortly after getting married, they were in court, and Hope Solo had visible injuries over an apparent argument on whether to live in Seattle or Florida:

http://edmonds.patch.com/articles/kpd-arrests-football-player-stevens-for-allegedly-assaulting-hope-solo

Good job, Jerramy.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

My jaw hurts from gritting my teeth reading that story. gently caress.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

If they try and turn her into the female Anderson Cooper it will be such a waste of talent.

Anderson Cooper used to be an investigative journalist, FYI.
Not only that, but he got his start in reporting after college as an balls-out crazy independent journalist. He wanted to cover the war in Eastern Europe in the 1990's but wasn't sure exactly how to do it, so he went over there with a bunch of friends and just wandered around the loving war zone filming stories and selling them.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Don't shortchange Anderson Cooper. He hosted the best single season of a competitive reality show ever, The Mole. That's what will be on his headstone.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
This is not sports journalism, but holy gently caress start reading The Innocent Man (Part One and Part Two) from Texas Monthly and don't post again until you've finished.

Crazy Ted posted:

Not only that, but he got his start in reporting after college as an balls-out crazy independent journalist. He wanted to cover the war in Eastern Europe in the 1990's but wasn't sure exactly how to do it, so he went over there with a bunch of friends and just wandered around the loving war zone filming stories and selling them.

Let's play a game. Tell me which of these pieces of information is accurate about Anderson Cooper:

quote:

At age 17, Cooper travelled around Africa for several months on a "survival trip". He contracted malaria on the trip and was hospitalized in Kenya.

quote:

Finding it hard to get his foot in the door of on-air reporting, Cooper decided to enlist the help of a friend in making a fake press pass. Cooper then entered Myanmar on his own with his forged press pass and met with students fighting the Burmese government.

quote:

He later returned to filming stories from a variety of war-torn regions around the globe, including Somalia, Bosnia, and Rwanda.
On assignment for several years, Cooper had very slowly become desensitized to the violence he was witnessing around him; the horrors of the Rwandan Genocide became trivial: "I would see a dozen bodies and think, you know, it's a dozen, it's not so bad."

It's all of them. Anderson Cooper is a complete badass and America is never going to understand this side of him.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

This is not sports journalism, but holy gently caress start reading The Innocent Man (Part One and Part Two) from Texas Monthly and don't post again until you've finished.

Texas Monthly is loving fantastic most of the time. If anybody's seen Bernie, this is the story that it's heavily based on. It's pro click even if you've never heard of the movie.

For some sports content, let's revisit this Rick Reilly turd from the beginning of the season.

General Dog posted:

Crossposting from TFF, since it's kind of dead in here

Rick Reilly- always bold enough to argue a stance that virtually everyone agrees with.

Nice content free Rick Reilly we've all grown to ignore. "Hey Notre Dame, you suck, stop accepting all of the money and praise that the media, which I am a part of, heaps on you annually. No, that's it, I'm offering no solutions or any actual insight on Notre Dame football as an institution or how the press covers them. I'm not even going to weigh in on whether their independence is worth maintaining, how it's gotten them where they are now, or what it means for their future. I'm not going to even mention it it all. I'm just tired of you, Notre Dame because you don't win football games anymore. If you win ten games this year, all will be forgiven, and I'll give you a big 'ol blow job. Love and kisses, Rick Reilly"

Here's Mike Golic's surprisingly lucid rebuttal.

I'm curious to see if he's going to attempt to backpedal on this, ignore it entirely, or attempt to take credit for Notre Dame's resurgence.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 14, 2012

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Yo Rick Neuheisel can loving rot in hell. "Oh one of my players likes to drive drunk and crash into other cars and buildings. I'll sit him for the first half of a meaningless season opener. That'll learn him!" I really hope that Rick or someone in his family gets smashed into by a drunk. gently caress that guy and gently caress Jerramy Stevens.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Guess who wrote a baseball article again :toot:

It's just a rehash of all the arguments for Mike Trout as AL MVP (that mentions WAR a convenient zero times), but he might as well do something between now and the 2014 House races.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Grant Brisbee has penned his masterpiece.

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/11/15/3651732/the-end-of-liberty-baseball-in-america

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Some guy wrote an article trying to pretend that the Lingerie Football League should be taken seriously.

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2012/11/20/3649738/lingerie-football-league

The author at the bottom looks exactly like you'd expect him to look.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Benne posted:

Some guy wrote an article trying to pretend that the Lingerie Football League should be taken seriously.

I'm thinking that article is part of some convoluted, ill-advised scheme to sleep with one of the players.

Also, if the draw is the athleticism of the athletes, why are they all still half naked?

haljordan fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 20, 2012

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT
Oh good

that article posted:

“Sometimes when I drop my shoulder and get hit, there'll be a big spark or a quick shock in my head, like a blue and yellow light,” says Salerno. “I just shake it off and go back and do it again, but it's probably not so good for my brain.”
Probably not, champ.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Post-concussion symptoms suffered all for the glory of lingerie football

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

Declan MacManus posted:

Post-concussion symptoms suffered all for the glory of lingerie football
Well they're getting paid enou-

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Benne posted:

Aaannnddd just like clockwork a Redditor MRA shows up in the comments. Read at your own risk.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Speaking of probable Redditors I guess Pete Abraham is angling at redemption

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/

quote:

Last year I moved my line and decided that unless there was some kind of tangible connection to PEDs, I would consider voting for a player. I changed because of Jeff Bagwell, a guy who sure looked the part of a drug user but was never linked to it. It seemed unfair to exclude him based only on suspicion.

Now I've decided to erase the line completely.

Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, and the rest of the scoundrels will get my vote. I'll look at the players based on their statistical merit, how they compared to other players of their era and to other players in the Hall of Fame. I won't sit at my desk and do Google searches to decide who is clean and who was cheating.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

stuart scott irl posted:

Speaking of probable Redditors I guess Pete Abraham is angling at redemption

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/

For some reason I reaaaaaaallly hate the people who vote for the baseball HoF. I think its because they always want to twist the story and make it about themselves, how they have this "sacred duty" and all this other bullshit.

edit: Like Jay Mariotti, for example. Holy poo poo does he still get a vote?

quote:

I didn't vote for anybody in the baseball hall of fame this year. Ya know why? To me…the first ballot is sacred. I think Roberto Alomar is an eventual Hall of Famer, not the first time. Edgar Martinez, designated hitter, eventually, but not the first time. Same goes for maybe Fred McGriff. As far as Blyleven and Dawson…if they haven't gotten in for years and years I cannot vote them in now."

gently caress. You. Anyone who didn't vote for Cal Ripken on the first ballot should be banned from even watching sports for the rest of their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

"The first ballot is sacred. No one gets in on the first ballot. On the other hand, if you haven't already made it in to the hall of fame, I'm sure as poo poo not going to vote you in now."

what