Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cirosan posted:

Indeed we were, then life happened and development slowed. The big question to ask is: Is there any reason for CCO to have such a feature when PM already does it? I'm not opposed to making such a thing, but I don't know if there's anything I can do differently enough to warrant the effort.

The only reason that springs to mind is compatibility. PM is basically incompatible with everything under the sun because it modifies so many base forms that are used by so many things; I obviously wouldn't do things that way. But I'm not sure if there's any other way to do it - I'd have to think on it. If NVSE has some sort of GetBaseID feature and if an effect script could detect non-persistent references, that would do it.

Improved performance for a general solution for placed items would be the other reason. Here's Puce Moose mentioning the slowdown in the mod thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Naky posted:

Our crossbow in The Armory has a whole host of crossbow arrows that go with it, among them is a tranq/scrambler type arrows for nonlethally taking out organic and inorganic enemies. You're able to loot them too.
I already use and love The Armory, never found the crossbow before though. I guess I'll go with the gun locker version next time I try a nonlethal run. You guys are the best :)

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
I updated the Remington 870 and M37 Ithaca I did for Arenovalis on Nexus with some new poo poo. Go check 'em out if you liked them. Especially the Remington, it has two new mods.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

The slowdown issue does not surprise me in the least. When you have every single ingestible loaded in memory constantly checking how close the player is, there will be blood.

Here is the script PM uses, for the record. The annotations are my own additions.

short DoOnce
short ran1

Begin OnLoad ; Run as soon as the object enters memory - is "loaded"

if DoOnce == 0
set ran1 to getrandompercent ; Generate a random number from 1-100

if ran1 < aawChance ; If the number was less than the rarity value specified by the user, the item disappears
if aawDebug == 100
showmessage aawDebugMSG, ran1, aawChance
endif

set DoOnce to 1
if GetDistance Player > 175 ; Is the item out of player eyeshot? 175 units is about a yard away; the script won't remove things that you can currently see, though it is possible for an item to be in a room and then suddenly be gone when you come back
disable ; This disables the object from the game world, but does not remove it from memory
markfordelete ; This flags the object to be cleared from memory the next time the system checks - the same function is used for Caravan cards you pick up
endif
else
set DoOnce to 1 ; If the item passed the percentile check, set this flag so that the check is never made again
endif
endif
End

And this script is run by every instance of nearly ingestible in the entire world. We're talking chems, drinks, food, and even some clutter/flavor items - anything that needs artificial scarcity created. Every time you see one of those things anywhere in the world, it's running that script. Yeah, there's gonna be slowdown.

I'll see if I can't think of a better solution.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cirosan posted:

The slowdown issue does not surprise me in the least. When you have every single ingestible loaded in memory constantly checking how close the player is, there will be blood.

Here is the script PM uses, for the record. The annotations are my own additions.

short DoOnce
short ran1

Begin OnLoad ; Run as soon as the object enters memory - is "loaded"

if DoOnce == 0
set ran1 to getrandompercent ; Generate a random number from 1-100

if ran1 < aawChance ; If the number was less than the rarity value specified by the user, the item disappears
if aawDebug == 100
showmessage aawDebugMSG, ran1, aawChance
endif

set DoOnce to 1
if GetDistance Player > 175 ; Is the item out of player eyeshot? 175 units is about a yard away; the script won't remove things that you can currently see, though it is possible for an item to be in a room and then suddenly be gone when you come back
disable ; This disables the object from the game world, but does not remove it from memory
markfordelete ; This flags the object to be cleared from memory the next time the system checks - the same function is used for Caravan cards you pick up
endif
else
set DoOnce to 1 ; If the item passed the percentile check, set this flag so that the check is never made again
endif
endif
End

And this script is run by every instance of nearly ingestible in the entire world. We're talking chems, drinks, food, and even some clutter/flavor items - anything that needs artificial scarcity created. Every time you see one of those things anywhere in the world, it's running that script. Yeah, there's gonna be slowdown.

I'll see if I can't think of a better solution.

Like I said a while back, you could probably open up FO3's "Fallout Wanderer's Edition" and see how they did it (or if they did it differently) since they had an identical feature in their overhaul.

I wasn't even aware of a slowdown issue with that particular plugin until today, and I've been using it on both my desktop and laptop installs, so :iiam:

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Cirosan posted:

Sorry to report that after taking a closer look at Puce Moose's Reduced World Items, it conflicts with both CCO and JSawyer. The reason it does this is because the author attached the script that makes the disappear-sorcery happen to the base form of all affected ingestibles. Generally, tweaking the base form of something is going to make your mod a compatibility nightmare.

drat. Well, I suppose it wouldn't have impacted my current game anyway. I'm at the point where I got 100k caps extra lying around, so a few stimpaks less on a shelf somwhere isn't making a difference.

Also RE: Stimpaks, noticed that NCR rangers are a pretty big source for them. NCR keeps sending those chums after me and each one drops like 2-4. I looted 14 off the last bunch alone.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I could use some help if anyone feels up for it. I just reinstalled and decided to give the Mod Organizer a go, figuring since it made things easier with Skyrim, I'd give it a shot with this as well. But I can't figure out how to get it to launch NV4GB.

Apparently NV4GB needs to stay with a dll file called "fnv4gb_helper", but by launching NV4GB through the mod organizer it loses the dll and throws up an error. Has anyone else experimented with the mod organizer for New Vegas, and does anyone know how to make these two work together?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

As Nero Danced posted:

I could use some help if anyone feels up for it. I just reinstalled and decided to give the Mod Organizer a go, figuring since it made things easier with Skyrim, I'd give it a shot with this as well. But I can't figure out how to get it to launch NV4GB.

Apparently NV4GB needs to stay with a dll file called "fnv4gb_helper", but by launching NV4GB through the mod organizer it loses the dll and throws up an error. Has anyone else experimented with the mod organizer for New Vegas, and does anyone know how to make these two work together?
I haven't personally tried the Mod Organizer with FNV (although I was planning to for a while, probably won't actually bother when it comes down to it), but concensus seems to be that it's less than ideal for FNV and that you should stick with FOMM (or possibly NMM? I dunno).

That said, it seems a bit odd to me that NV4GB would fail in that way when SKSE also needs a .dll but works fine. Possibly because MO is primarily made for Skyrim?

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

Oh, no, I said, "steamed hams." That's what I call hamburgers.
http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/47255

Updated this 870 with chrome and side saddle mods + better cubemaps and all that cool jazz

Oh and a custom sound!

fentan
Aug 3, 2012

As Nero Danced posted:

I've been using Mod Organizer with the 4GB launcher with no problem so :shrug:. Specifically I'm using the NVSE version from the NVSE page, but I'm guessing you are too. I also have my Steam and Mod Organizer folders in the root directory and not Program Files, for whatever difference that might make (probably none). Version is 0.11.5 because I haven't updated in a while.

I've actually found MO to be awesome for Fallout. Maybe because I get thrills from micromanaging clutter textures. But, for example, Capn Beeb's stance animation problem would be instantly troubleshootable with MO. The biggest pain in the rear end you'll face is getting uHud working with it. But after that it's basically perfect.

e: the stuff under Load Mechanism here might be relevant to you?

fentan fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 10, 2012

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Naky posted:

We do our absolute best to not gently caress with any stock weapon or attribute because that's what we hate about other mod collections. We use our own mod-kits for guns we've added, but otherwise we do our best to use stock resources where we can. As for the guns that should use .45, use the Honest Hearts optional esp to add support for those guns in the pack that would use it. They will use the stock .45 ammo with that patch enabled.

And no, I'm not taking screenshots of 400+ weapons. :keke: I try to describe it like this - there is something for everyone in The Armory, but not everything is for everyone and is not intended to be. It's literally just a resource to allow people to roleplay, do gimmick playthroughs, enjoy guns they like from movies/games, or even for the police/enthusiast/military goons to use the weapons they might use every day or on the range.

That being said, we also don't really go for hardcore realism and such other and there are a good number of weapons in the pack that are simply for fun.

Speaking of Stock Weapon replacements, I managed to finally use the coveted ME2 mod. And needless to say, with Police Automaton's mod, I get to now become Shepard and is cool with that.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
So I'm going to try a run with the J.E. Sawyer mod, and I'm wondering how I can get it to play nice with Project Nevada. Do I just need to remove the re-balance mod from my load order, or that and the DLC re-balance .esps?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It depends on which mod you want to be more effective. Whichever comes last will assert the most control over things. If you want to just use J.E. Sawyer's mod, just uncheck PN's rebalance module. I kinda like having access to ti so I can tweak my game on the fly, though it can lead to weird interactions, especially with CCO.

Anyway, i'm gettnig myself a kicking rad new graphics card (660 ti), what are the general recommended/necessary mods for graphical overhauls? And is there a way to download these via bittorrent or anything, because I know that NMC is loving huge and downloading it just normally is begging for errors and poo poo.

EDIT: And I realize pretty much everything in the OP is worth a look, I'm just curious to people's take on stuff and what not.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 10, 2012

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
NMC is pretty much the go-to. I would install the Ojo Bueno pack first, then NMC over top of it, which will replace pretty much every texture. Don't forget Arenovalis' retextures either.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

So I think one of the mods I have installed has broken hacking, now there is only one option on any hacking screen, which is the correct password. I've gone back and tried the game with the last few mods I installed deactivated, but so far the problem is persisting. I don't know why this is bothering me so much but does anyone have any suggestions on how to identify what's causing it?

fentan
Aug 3, 2012

Davoren posted:

So I think one of the mods I have installed has broken hacking, now there is only one option on any hacking screen, which is the correct password. I've gone back and tried the game with the last few mods I installed deactivated, but so far the problem is persisting. I don't know why this is bothering me so much but does anyone have any suggestions on how to identify what's causing it?

Post your load order. Or go into FNVEdit and see if any of your mods are changing Game Setting>iHackingMinWords or iHackingMaxWords.

SpookyLizard posted:

killer graphix

These are all the texture mods I have loaded, but I have a compulsion. I realise most people wouldn't bother going this far. Game looks great, though. It's worth knowing that most Fallout 3 texture mods work for New Vegas, because the paths are the same.

At the very least on top of NMC and WRP I recommend MGs Neat Clutter Retexture, the Bornagain NV ones, Better HiRes Skill Books, and Magazine Redux. The last two just make those things easier to spot in the game, otherwise they tend to look like blurry rubbish clutter next to the NMC textures.

Also, ENB doesn't seem to be popular around here, but I think it makes the game look about 50x better if used right. I'm using my own preset so I can't recommend anything on the nexus, but maybe look at what's available? There's no where near the insane over saturation of presets that exists for Skyrim.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
How many of those are different mods? I've downloaded NMC's large and am now downloading Ojo Bueno. Is Poco Bueno useful with it as well?

Other than that, I'll grab Bornagain, Better HiRes Skillbooks and the Magazine Redux one. Unless UPS delivers on sundays, i won't get a chance to really play with it until monday, but I guess that gives me more time to do research.

EDIT:

Did you get these from the nexus or some other site? Because I can't quite seem to find them on the nexus, though it's entirely possible it's the nexus being dumb. EDIT2.0; Can't find Better HiRes Skill Books, anyway.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 11, 2012

fentan
Aug 3, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

How many of those are different mods? I've downloaded NMC's large and am now downloading Ojo Bueno. Is Poco Bueno useful with it as well?

Other than that, I'll grab Bornagain, Better HiRes Skillbooks and the Magazine Redux one. Unless UPS delivers on sundays, i won't get a chance to really play with it until monday, but I guess that gives me more time to do research.

They're all different mods? Unless I don't understand your question. Some of them are from the same mod page, I guess, like the Ojo Bueno textures. Those come in packs though, and I wouldn't bother getting all of them. Objects and Securitron are the only thing NMC doesn't cover. Poco Bueno isn't worth getting for that reason, unless you like the way it looks better than NMC. Ojo Bueno is literally the exact same thing as Poco Bueno, but higher res and modular.

They're all from nexus, but some are from the Fallout 3 nexus. They work just the same.

Better HiRes Skill Books

fentan fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 11, 2012

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

fentan posted:

Post your load order. Or go into FNVEdit and see if any of your mods are changing Game Setting>iHackingMinWords or iHackingMaxWords.

Thanks for the FNVEdit suggestion, looks like Nevada Skies has altered that value to 1, god knows why.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Is there a beehive hairstyle mod at all? I really want to be Amy Winehouse for a while...

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

fentan posted:

They're all different mods? Unless I don't understand your question. Some of them are from the same mod page, I guess, like the Ojo Bueno textures. Those come in packs though, and I wouldn't bother getting all of them. Objects and Securitron are the only thing NMC doesn't cover. Poco Bueno isn't worth getting for that reason, unless you like the way it looks better than NMC. Ojo Bueno is literally the exact same thing as Poco Bueno, but higher res and modular.

They're all from nexus, but some are from the Fallout 3 nexus. They work just the same.

Better HiRes Skill Books

Ah, okay. Thanks.

I was just curious as to how many different mods they were. Because some mods come chockful of .esp files and poo poo. I'm gonna grab the entirety of Ojo bueno and see what I like compared to NMC and stuff.

EDIT: Going through my load order, goddamn does CCO use a whole shitload of plugins. You ever think of condensing them, Cirosan? Atleast the DLC ones.

Man, my Data folder is gonna get loving huge.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 11, 2012

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I finally decided to start playing FNV again, and just finished installing the mods I want. It's crashing on launch, though. Any idea why? I've tried launching both via the default launcher and FNV4GB with the same results, and the error message provided doesn't help me any (but here it is in case anyone else knows what's up).
code:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	FalloutNV.4gb
  Application Version:	1.4.0.525
  Application Timestamp:	4e0d50ed
  Fault Module Name:	FalloutNV.4gb
  Fault Module Version:	1.4.0.525
  Fault Module Timestamp:	4e0d50ed
  Exception Code:	c0000005
  Exception Offset:	0006158a
  OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID:	1053
  Additional Information 1:	0a9e
  Additional Information 2:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:	0a9e
  Additional Information 4:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
  [url]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409[/url]

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
Also, here's my load order.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

SpookyLizard posted:

Ah, okay. Thanks.

I was just curious as to how many different mods they were. Because some mods come chockful of .esp files and poo poo. I'm gonna grab the entirety of Ojo bueno and see what I like compared to NMC and stuff.

EDIT: Going through my load order, goddamn does CCO use a whole shitload of plugins. You ever think of condensing them, Cirosan? Atleast the DLC ones.

Man, my Data folder is gonna get loving huge.

I asked Cirosan about that a while ago... no plans to do that yet as far as I can tell.

I'd love to see it happen though.

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

Oh, no, I said, "steamed hams." That's what I call hamburgers.
http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/48317/

Mauser C96 with two mods, new sound etc. You know the drill :v:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Arenovalis posted:

Gold-plated Mauser :stare:

Excuse me while I think of a character concept amazingly ridiculous enough for this gun.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Crash on launch means you've got an .esp looking for an .esm that it can't find, or you've got an issue in the [fonts] section of your .ini (in regards to DarnifiedUI).

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Crash on launch means you've got an .esp looking for an .esm that it can't find, or you've got an issue in the [fonts] section of your .ini (in regards to DarnifiedUI).
I've double checked the [fonts] section, so it ought to be the missing .esm. Any way to check dependencies I'm not aware of?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Woebin posted:

I've double checked the [fonts] section, so it ought to be the missing .esm. Any way to check dependencies I'm not aware of?

Use FNVEdit. I'm not sure if it'll crash when that happens, or what, but ti /should/ throw out an error of the helpful variety. Failing, check by hand.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Arenovalis posted:

At this rate the front door of Doc Mitchell's house is going to fly off the hinges and a tidal wave of guns is going rush out and drown everyone in Goodsprings.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Bilal posted:

At this rate the front door of Doc Mitchell's house is going to fly off the hinges and a tidal wave of guns is going rush out and drown everyone in Goodsprings.

At least the early Ghost Town quest will be very easy to do.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I like to think that the Doc is actually a gun collector and everyone keeps stealing the poor guy's poo poo, but he's just too nice to say anything.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Downside of being modular: You have to provide patches for every conceivable combination of mods and/or DLC. I got lazy making merged patches (i.e., one Classic Perks patch for all DLC). I freely admit that the sheer number of patches is ridiculous, and something I should've been more mindful of.

I wouldn't say there's "no plans" to make merged patches so much as it is "I don't know where I would start". My knee-jerk instinct is to simply merge related patches together in FNVEdit, but I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about that as I am with the GECK, and I don't know if it would be that simple.

So here's my first question: Would someone more skilled with FNVEdit be able to tell me if the patch merging would be a viable solution? My second: Assuming it is, would some of you guys be willing to beta test the new merged patches to make sure they work before I include them in a formal release?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Is there a point where you would just assume that everyone has all the DLC like jsawer does?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Cirosan posted:

So here's my first question: Would someone more skilled with FNVEdit be able to tell me if the patch merging would be a viable solution? My second: Assuming it is, would some of you guys be willing to beta test the new merged patches to make sure they work before I include them in a formal release?

Yes to both questions. FNVedit is really just a diff tool and I think a lot easier to use than the CK, but that is because I am A Big Dummy when it comes to CK stuff.

I think the single CCO file/patch thing should assume the use of all DLC, Project Nevada Equipment, and Jsawyer, since that is the best way to play :colbert:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Cirosan posted:

So here's my first question: Would someone more skilled with FNVEdit be able to tell me if the patch merging would be a viable solution?
Yes and it is really simple. Just take each individual plugin and copy-as-override its content into your new merged plugin.
It only gets tricky if individual plugins touch the same content. then you actually have to pay attention to what you're doing and carefully merge things.

cndblank
Nov 6, 2012
I used FNVPlugin to merge the various CCO DR DLC in to one patch just as an experiment (I'm no expert). Using NVEC, PN core, CCO, WMX, and Jsawyer.

Also did all five of the CCO Perk Rebalance.

Got a couple of hours of play in with no problems but haven't started any DLC.

Seems good so far.

I can only image how complicated making all those patches work together.
I think it more than fair that some modders assume that if you are using their level of mods, then you already have all the DLC.

Cirosan posted:

Downside of being modular: You have to provide patches for every conceivable combination of mods and/or DLC. I got lazy making merged patches (i.e., one Classic Perks patch for all DLC). I freely admit that the sheer number of patches is ridiculous, and something I should've been more mindful of.

I wouldn't say there's "no plans" to make merged patches so much as it is "I don't know where I would start". My knee-jerk instinct is to simply merge related patches together in FNVEdit, but I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about that as I am with the GECK, and I don't know if it would be that simple.

cndblank fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 12, 2012

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I'll certainly play test the poo poo out of it for you.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Any idea why my use key and the menus would refuse to work after loading up a old saved game with this loadout?

http://pastebin.com/dR4JKq4W

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

ETPC posted:

Any idea why my use key and the menus would refuse to work after loading up a old saved game with this loadout?

http://pastebin.com/dR4JKq4W

Too many mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

SpookyLizard posted:

Too many mods.

Actually the limit is over 200 .esps for most people.