Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Harlock posted:

This game looks really neat. The Saturn got some interesting games. It honestly kind of reminds me of Front Mission: Gun Hazard. Then there's Assault Suits Valken 2 which looks kind of like a Front Mission SRPG.

There's a good reason for that: the Front Mission series was created by Toshiro Tsuchida, who was also the producer on Cybernator/Assault Suits Valken.

He didn't work on Leynos 2, though, and I didn't like it as much as Cybernator. The controls aren't as tight and the level design isn't as interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avant Gardening
Jul 24, 2007
"...And if you wondered what Time sounded like it sounded like water running in a dark cave and voices crying and dirt dropping down upon hollow box lids, and rain."
Can anyone link me to the article discussing SNES emulation (and emulation at large) in regards to how it is displayed on the computer and the different filters that make this "more authentic" ? I've read BSNES's statement about accurat emulation, but they do not discuss the visual aspect beyond rendering (and what certain emulators fail to render) or in terms of output via computer.

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

The Orange Mage posted:

Speaking of hardware near-impossibilities, has that one guy's attempt to create a Sega Neptune-like uber-Genesis gone anywhere?

I started one early this year and haven't had the time to do anything with it. Someday I'll get around to finishing it.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Assault Suit Leynos if I remember right was a strategy spinoff of the Valken series and thus doesn't play like Valken at all.

Speaking of Masaya titles, one Genesis game they made that's worth a play is Wings of Wor/Gynoug. It has some loving weird bosses and enemies. Also I think some of the sound effects got reused in Gleylancer (which is also a really good game)

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005

Zeether posted:

Assault Suit Leynos if I remember right was a strategy spinoff of the Valken series and thus doesn't play like Valken at all.

Speaking of Masaya titles, one Genesis game they made that's worth a play is Wings of Wor/Gynoug. It has some loving weird bosses and enemies. Also I think some of the sound effects got reused in Gleylancer (which is also a really good game)

Actually, Leynos is a predecessor of Valken/Cybernator and is also a 2D shooter/platformer. It came out over here as Target Earth, and it looks hard as balls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqPGfU-Ix7A

It's relatively cheap, too. Looks like I might have to find a complete copy to add to my collection.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Baldrash posted:

Actually, Leynos is a predecessor of Valken/Cybernator and is also a 2D shooter/platformer. It came out over here as Target Earth, and it looks hard as balls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqPGfU-Ix7A

It's relatively cheap, too. Looks like I might have to find a complete copy to add to my collection.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the first Leynos game. I played the US version once and did find it pretty tough.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Artbooks! I love artbooks.

This one isn't an artbook, but it's a nearly 300-page long comic about the making of Dragon Quest.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
So uh yea.... this is what 100 universal game cases look like.

I guess it's time to start printing some covers.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

fatpat268 posted:

So uh yea.... this is what 100 universal game cases look like.

I guess it's time to start printing some covers.

I'd totally be all about that if I had the room to put a bunch of fully cased games.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Awesomonster posted:

Yeah, I don't really read the hardware modding stuff (mainly because I only have so much room in my brain for learnin' and its already filled with shareware from 1995 like a 2000 Games! cd) but I feel like this thread would be empty without it. It's just as much a part of retro gaming as the software is.

Besides, who wants to miss Hamburglar's inevitable descent back into madness when he tries permanently fix a TG-CD and finds that it only works on the first run of them or something :allears:

Hahahahaha

I am trying to make the OP more game talkin', that's why I suggested that tier rating thing.

Going to update the op with other good information like best place to get retro games and other stuff.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ACID POLICE posted:

The only system where I've actually played a majority of the games (not including consoles like VB/Neo Geo Pocket that had a tiny library) is Dreamcast, not including any sports titles. I tend to ignore most American only release titles though since they tend to be sports/movie games.

I have no idea what percentage of released titles I've played or anything like that, but still definitely the Dreamcast. The SNES comes in second place, but I've beaten so few games for that (I've beaten EarthBound at least once a year since I got it though). My problem is that I usually play about a third of most RPGs because I rarely am invested enough to actually finish the whole thing, plus the vast majority of my gaming consists of Street Fighter/shmups/games you can beat relatively quickly like Jet Grind Radio or Bangai-O/Tetris Attack. That tends to be true of most of my games collection as well, which is kind of sparse compared to others in this thread.

e: If anyone has a spare Playstation S-Video cable I would be more than happy to send you $$$ or something fun in trade for one. I can't wait to have PS1 in my collection again :toot: and I'm :swoon: about being able to play Space Griffon VF-9 with readable text. Same with an extra grey PS controller.

I wish you would have told me this before I sent your package out, I would have sent you this for free.

Also sorry I am not multi quoting ; I am running around 24-7 and am cell postin'.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I got a package from THE INTERNET today but I've been too busy with it to post it for you fools

(the game is Ranma 1/2: Hard Battle btw)

i <3 burgler :swoon:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

zari-gani posted:

This one isn't an artbook, but it's a nearly 300-page long comic about the making of Dragon Quest.

Any chance for this to be your next project once you're finally caught up on Game Center CX? :v:

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Ambitious Spider posted:

I'd totally be all about that if I had the room to put a bunch of fully cased games.

I didn't have the room either, so I traded in a bunch of dvds I'll never watch again into amazon, and now I have a ton of shelf space. My problem now is trying to figure out where to put this giant rear end box of empty cases.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ACID POLICE posted:

I got a package from THE INTERNET today but I've been too busy with it to post it for you fools

(the game is Ranma 1/2: Hard Battle btw)

i <3 burgler :swoon:

Yessssssss

You better post your thoughts on the digital audio mod! Very curious what you think. :allears:

Edit: I threw in a scart gender changer because I found them incredibly useful.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 11, 2012

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Katana Gomai posted:

Trip report! So I was at the Retrobörse in Bochum, Germany today and while it was pretty much what I expected (picture the commons of a dorm stuffed with people trying to sell old video games), the prices were pretty ridiculous and that means this was the last time I went there. Now I get that stuff costs more when you go to these events and I absolutely don't mind paying for the benefit of seeing the item in person first; however, when I say ridiculous, I mean "60€ for a cartridge only Kirby Superstar that you can get for 25€ on eBay" ridiculous.

This was made all the worse by the fact that I collect boxed and the salespeople there marked those up even more. I could live with that, if their poo poo at least was in good shape, but except for one guy's booth, most of the boxed games were just as hosed up as if I got them online. At least that guy's games really did look nice though, and he charged reasonable prices so I got these for 40€:

I'd rate all of those at Near Mint so I am satisfied. Still, considering that they even charged admission (5€), I'll take my money elsewhere when it rolls around again in half a year.

What's Vicas doing in there?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Angry Video Game Nerd movie trailer finally out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiz95K1ngiI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Looks good for his tiny budget. Seems like a spoof on action movies "what are all these boxes doing here" as he drives through them on the street, and it looks like a "misunderstood comedy" because he's looking for buried E.T. carts in Mexico but authorities think he's looking for an actual E.T. in nearby Roswell.

Thought you guys might like to be aware of its existence.

I'd also love a list of good retro shows for the OP. Only good ones I know of are AVGN, Clan of the Grey Wolf, and Gamester81 (that guy has to be a billionaire with that collection) .

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I'd also love a list of good retro shows for the OP. Only good ones I know of are AVGN, Clan of the Grey Wolf, and Gamester81 (that guy has to be a billionaire with that collection) .

In addition to those, I love Game Sack: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrGameSack

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Video Game Nerd movie trailer finally out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiz95K1ngiI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Looks good for his tiny budget. Seems like a spoof on action movies "what are all these boxes doing here" as he drives through them on the street, and it looks like a "misunderstood comedy" because he's looking for buried E.T. carts in Mexico but authorities think he's looking for an actual E.T. in nearby Roswell.

Thought you guys might like to be aware of its existence.

There should definitely be a link to the Retronauts archive on 1up.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Classic Game Room is pretty good and the guy's voice is fairly mesmerizing.

Also, today's haul:

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

I decided to give retro gaming a try after my parents found my old SNES with copy of FF 2 and A Link to the Past.

The first console I want to buy is a TG-16 and an original Xbox.

This weekend I am going on a hunt! I will be posting pictures, updates, and questions as they come up.

It's made me all tingly in the pants.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Game Center CX is a given, especially since it's being translated by a group from here. It's not super informative, but the entertainment value makes it worth it.

Also, Chrontendo, Chronsega, and Chronturbo are great if you're interested in NES, Master System, and TG16 games that are obscure, underrated, classics, and/or never officially saw the light of day outside of Japan, Europe, and the US. Not every episode of Chrontendo are on YouTube as far as I can tell (the link I gave wasn't uploaded by the guy who makes these), but you can find any that are missing with a quick Google search.

Unused
Aug 29, 2008

:pcgaming:

Katana Gomai posted:

however, when I say ridiculous, I mean "60€ for a cartridge only Kirby Superstar that you can get for 25€ on eBay" ridiculous.

Funny you should mention that, because I just happened to pick up a copy of this for £11 (€13/$17) the other day. I already have a copy, but I can't say no at that sort of price.

I was thinking of just turning it round for a quick £10-15, but every single listing for a PAL copy of this, cart only is going for £45+. It screams of artificial inflation, because I remember checking this only recently and it's been selling for far less. Even on completed listings, people are getting boxed copies for around that price.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

HKR posted:

Also, today's haul:

Is that a Code Name: Viper cart I spy? :allears: Probably the best (and only) Rolling Thunder clone ever made.

How much did you copy of Parasite Eve 2 cost, if you don't mind me asking? The price for it seems to have arisen quite a bit at the retro stores here.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

iastudent posted:

Is that a Code Name: Viper cart I spy? :allears: Probably the best (and only) Rolling Thunder clone ever made.

How much did you copy of Parasite Eve 2 cost, if you don't mind me asking? The price for it seems to have arisen quite a bit at the retro stores here.

PE2 cost $3 and is in perfect shape. Code Name: Viper was $6, which is a dollar over my rule but I figured it'd be worth the shot.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Holy hell, that IS a deal for PE2. Last I saw a copy at the stores here, they wanted $30 for it. I just ended up getting it from PSN due to that.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

iastudent posted:

Holy hell, that IS a deal for PE2. Last I saw a copy at the stores here, they wanted $30 for it. I just ended up getting it from PSN due to that.

This is why I love Deseret Industries and St Vincent Du Paul, because they don't bother to check prices on a lot of stuff before throwing it in a bin. I had to dig through some piles to find it but I knew I scored when I found it.

Too bad PE2 is such a horrible game though :v:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

HKR posted:

PE2 is actually really fun and a decent Resident Evil RPG-lite clone. :nyd:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Harlock posted:

PE2 is actually really fun and a decent Resident Evil RPG-lite clone. :nyd:

But the original Parasite Eve was so much better though, and the story barely has anything to do with the first game. I'm sure the game is better then my memory serves, but when that game came out I was hugely disappointed.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

HKR posted:

This is why I love Deseret Industries and St Vincent Du Paul, because they don't bother to check prices on a lot of stuff before throwing it in a bin. I had to dig through some piles to find it but I knew I scored when I found it.

There actually is a St. Vincent De Paul where I grew up, though the few times I've been in it I've always come up empty for games.

Nonetheless, I may plan a visit there when I go home for the holidays.

Also you watch your whore mouth about PE2. :colbert:

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
About that PS2 sale for Gamestop.com. You get free shipping if you order a certain ammount of games.

I ordered around 26 games and it gave me the option of free shipping.

Neo Contra
WWX Rumble Roses
King's Field: The Ancient City
Road Trip - Used
Gungrave
Unlimited SaGa
Arctic Thunder
Tokobot Plus: Mysteries of the Karakuri
Samurai Western
Robotech: Invasion
Daisenryaku VII Exceed Modern Military Tactics
Disaster Report
Crimson Sea 2
Front Mission 4
Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law
Fight Maker 2
Gungrave OverDose
Raw Danger
Mr. Mosquito
Siren
Nightmare of Druaga
The Mark of Kri
Rise Of The Kasai
Killer 7
S.L.A.I.
Trapt

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 11, 2012

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
My mother was cleaning out the house and found my NES Power Pad, Game Boy (black "Play It Loud" series), and a few other things. Really happy. :shobon:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
^^^

didn't know there was a ps2 sale. Just spent 15 on:

Galerians Ash
devil may cry
trapt
rtype final
mister mosquito
brave
nightmare of druaga
flipnic
shinobi
zone of the enders
stretch panic
x-files:resist or serve

I am a terrible impulse buyer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Why must you all get such wonderful old games on sale for dirt-cheap in the US? :cry:

OSI bean dip posted:

My mother was cleaning out the house and found my NES Power Pad, Game Boy (black "Play It Loud" series), and a few other things. Really happy. :shobon:

The first console I owned was the transparent Play it Loud Gameboy. I even got the version with the transparent case to store games and batteries with it. Best birthday present ever as a kid.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why must you all get such wonderful old games on sale for dirt-cheap in the US? :cry:

The first console I owned was the transparent Play it Loud Gameboy. I even got the version with the transparent case to store games and batteries with it. Best birthday present ever as a kid.

Yeah I think that Gameboy was the last of the "clear electronics" phase though the Gameboy Color had a semi-transparent purple.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Yeah I think that Gameboy was the last of the "clear electronics" phase though the Gameboy Color had a semi-transparent purple.

Gameboy advance had a transparent lavander color as well.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Yeap I'm an idiot.

Gameboy was the only one I can think of completely clear though.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I hit the local stores today and didn't find anything too good. I almost picked up Rad Racer 1 and 2 and a CIB copy of Sunset Riders (Genesis) for $16, but I passed in the end. I might swing by and pick them all up tomorrow because it's weighing on my mind.

Does anyone know what the definitive version of Bart Vs. The Space Mutants is? I remember playing it on the NES as a child, but my local store has a copy for Genesis.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yeap I'm an idiot.

Gameboy was the only one I can think of completely clear though.
I had a Game Boy pocket that was completely clear, don't remember if it was part of that series though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Agrias120 posted:

Does anyone know what the definitive version of Bart Vs. The Space Mutants is? I remember playing it on the NES as a child, but my local store has a copy for Genesis.

It's the one in a trash can.

• Locked thread