Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*
Koivunen it makes me really happy to see you guys trying to work things out with that big 'ole fluffy Malabear because OMG he has the softest eyes and sweetest face and I want to bury my head in his fur! Good luck!

X-posting from nonsense thread, my dog is so primitive she only comes in CMYK

30 / 52 color me happy by sabarika, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

Alright, I'm pretty new to this thread but I have some pretty serious questions for anyone who could possibly help. My roommate bought a husky from a pet store a little over a year ago. That was her first mistake because he's terribly inbred and dumb as a box of rocks. She made the mistake of not doing any kind of research into the breed and as a result we now have a terribly trained 50 pound dog on our hands. We got lucky in that he's never chewed shoes or furniture, but he's a jumped and way, WAY overly hyper.

It's HER dog, and he stays in the basement with her (it's her room) but he doesn't have a kennel. The bathroom is his kennel. I know she doesn't walk him enough, but is there anything I can do for the times I'm actually around to make him... I dunno, less hyper, or at least less jumpy? For never owning a dog, he seems to listen to me, but that's in part to me knowing I need to stay calm and that yelling/getting upset doesn't really get you anywhere.

PS I love everyone's dogs on here :3

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Try looking into calmness training. This video by kikopup is a good primer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wesm2OpE_2c It is really essential that he has an outlet for his energy though. If she can't walk him as much as he needs then she needs to look into a dog walker because a 1 year old husky has boundless energy as you probably know.

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

It's not even that she doesn't have the time, she's just lazy, and I don't have the time (no, he's not mine but I feel bad for him). She went in looking for something small to keep her company because she took the year off, but came back with a 4 month old husky. He can be a sweet dog but most of us (other roommates and neighbors) don't want to be around him. I'll definitely look into that and see if I can do anything.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

If I get a chance to get to a computer later I'll give a better reply, but I just wanted to mention that my husky is nearing 11, and he's still bouncy and energetic. :shobon: As much as the dog needs an outlet for energy and to be taught self control, he's still a husky and will always be more bouncy and energetic than most dogs.

Like I said, if I can later I'll write more. You're going to need to learn not to reward pushy "rude" behavior. Hopefully you can work with him, though, and bond in the process. :)

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Goliath is awesome and I want to squash him.

I took out my actual camera (instead of my cell phone) tonight to get some decent pictures of Quaffle. He was apparently very disappointed in me (also note that he crosses his paws like A Gentleman):

Mr. Droopy Sadface here, further disappointment in me:

The last thing you see before The Lick:

But then he had to go ruin everything with this pose:

I'm excited because I never manage to get a picture of him with his ears unpricked. They're set so low. On the last picture, one's set like human ears. :3: They're so dumb. One day I'm going to photoshop Hrafn's or Nikita's ears on him and see what that does to his appearance.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Quaffle is lovely. :3: And that looks like a very boopable nose he's got there.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
We brought Goliath home today! Not regretting this decision for a second. He has been exploring the house, running up and down the stairs, had a good sniff around the backyard, and is currently sleeping on the twin mattress in the spare bedroom after his big day.

He did so well today. There was an adoption event where they brought a bunch of animals into a warehouse and there were free treats and pictures with Santa, etc. We put him into his new collar and harness and he stood with us while we filled out the paperwork. There were a bunch of other dogs around, and he actually seemed excited to interact with them. He would sniff their muzzles and when they walked away he would bark excitedly. I'm not sure why the previous owner said he was afraid of other dogs, he did really well today. I think the amount of people there might have been a bit too much stimulation, but he did very well when other people petted him, and several small children petted him and he did just fine. He was just looking for attention and pets, it was pretty cute.

He did SUCH a good job in the car, too. I sat in the back seat with him but it wasn't really necessary. He hopped in and laid down, and he would occasionally sit up to look out the window, but he was completely calm and stayed right where he was supposed to.

He's been going up the stairs, lying down on the bed, coming back downstairs, looking at us, and going back up. We've gone up and cuddled him and sat with him on the bed. Doesn't seem to be a fan of his rawhide or his Kong yet, but I'm sure he'll accept treats once he's feeling more comfortable. We live in an old house, and we can hear him walking around upstairs, it's pretty cute. :3

Anyway, PICTURES. (Ignore the state of disrepair that our house is in, we bought it as a fixer upper and are currently in the process of remodeling the entire place.)

How did this giant bear-wolf get in my kitchen?

New favorite spot.

So handsome!

Edit: I just spent about 45 minutes grooming him. They must have brushed him recently at the shelter because I didn't get a whole lot off his back or sides, but quite a bit from his haunches and leg tufts. Anyway, he was such a good boy. He lay down on the floor and let me brush his side while drifting off to sleep, and then by himself, he turned on his belly so I could do his back, and again by himself turned to the other side, and finally he flipped belly-up and let me brush that. He fell asleep a couple times while being brushed. I also did a quick waterless shampoo since we can't bathe him for ten days and he was a bit stinky, and he did a very good job. Now he is clean and groomed and smells good.

I feel like he has been my dog all along, it just took us a little longer to find each other.

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 25, 2017

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK

This, right here, is one of the very best parts of having a big fluffy dog. I don't get people with dogs like this who don't let them on the bed. You have a giant warm fluffy pillow that can LICK YOU, why wouldn't you take advantage of that? Silly people.

Yay for Goliath! He looks so happy. :D

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

I saw a dog here in Virginia that looked exactly like Quaffle yesterday.

You need to show Goliath who the boss is immediately. The only way to do this is to fill a Kong or cleaned out soup bone with a peanut butter/kibble mix, then freeze it solid.

The next steps are difficult and fraught with danger, so here is a picture guide:

My biggest piece of advice is to be The Place Good Things Come From, but good things should always come with a condition. Nikita here had to go through a small routine of sit/stay, then leave it there on the pad between her paws for a minute while maintaining eye contact with me before getting the command to dig in. As a result she is super excited and hilariously motivated to follow commands when the soup bone comes out AND she will now by default leave something on the floor alone until getting a command to take it.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 11, 2012

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, solid 'wait' and 'leave it' are super helpful for primitive breeds. I mean, they are with all breeds, but more so with prims who can get it into their heads to get into all manner of trouble.

Also malamutes tend to really, really like kids. So teaching them a solid leave it so they don't terrify small children is a good thing.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
The best part about NILIF is that Quaffle has learned that if he wants something, he needs to sit first. We can always tell when he wants something because he very deliberately sits and STARES. :stare: Then if he still doesn't get it, he tries sitting harder. I don't know how you sit harder, but Quaffle sure is trying to figure it out.

Also he is totally the boss of me because right now he is eating a Kong full of frozen yogurt and kibble.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

ahahaha yeah. When Sitka really wants something she bust out her prettiest sit. If she really wants something she runs through her entire repertoire of tricks. If that doesn't work she starts talking at you while running through all her tricks. It is god damned hilarious.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Ohhh man yeah, my Siberian husky does the same thing. Open up a bag of anything or open the refrigerator and she runs up, looks right at you. *sit* No...that didn't work. *lays down* Nope, maybe... *BARK and SPIN AROUND*

The whole time I just stand there watching and thinking "I wish you do it that well when I ask, and you're not getting my pizza."

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Thanks for the tips! I think I'm going to have one more day of treat showers since he's not eating much right now from all the commotion, but the next day he will have to earn his treats. Is that okay?

I'm cross posting some pictures from the Wake Up Your Dog thread (since I can post there now!). More photodumping, basically.

Big sleepy dog.

Hurr.

Fast asleep.

Can barely open his eyes.

"No more pictures."

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Koivunen, if all turns out as well as it seems, you've got basically my dream situation: adopting a chill primitive dog. Amazing.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Older malamutes are pretty chill. Takes them a while to get there but after a bit they pretty much just want to lay around the house and be snuggled.

As for feeding, some malamutes are finicky bitches about food. I don't know what the hell it is. Sitka will go through these phases (generally when its hot or there have been a lot of people) where she doesn't want to eat anything. I have salmon treats from home for those occasions which she loves because salmon is the BEST as far as she is concerned.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Aravenna posted:

Then if he still doesn't get it, he tries sitting harder. I don't know how you sit harder, but Quaffle sure is trying to figure it out.

Psyche has two versions of advanced hardcore ireallyreallywantit sits. One involves her tail vibrating so fast that her butt can barely stay on the floor and the other is an extended sit pretty where there is a non-negligible chance of her falling over backwards as she tries to sit prettier.

Needless to day, they both involve me laughing my rear end off.

RetroVirus
Jun 27, 2004

Koivunen posted:

Dogge spooning. (Sorry about the glob of cat hair, that is left over from my recently deceased cat, it was his favorite spot to sit, and I haven't really been able to clean it up just yet. You know, tangible memories...)

Your thread and all its pictures of yourself and your cat really made me cry. Hell I am tearing up just thinking about it. Congrats on your new friend, I'm so happy for you!

Goliath reminds me a lot of my big chill primitive beardog. Came shortly after having to put my cat down and just has the doofiest smile. :)

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

RetroVirus posted:

Your thread and all its pictures of yourself and your cat really made me cry. Hell I am tearing up just thinking about it. Congrats on your new friend, I'm so happy for you!

Goliath reminds me a lot of my big chill primitive beardog. Came shortly after having to put my cat down and just has the doofiest smile. :)

I had absolutely no intention of adoption another animal so soon after my cat died, and my boyfriend and I regularly make rounds at the Shelter just for when we want some cheering up, and Goliath just happened to be there. I do think it was perfect timing though. Putting down my cat was the hardest thing I've ever had to do, but meeting Goliath and thinking about him for a week before bringing him home gave me something else to focus on, which I think was good for my mental health.

This morning we went for a long walk through the park in our neighborhood, it was a beautiful snowy day and I should have brought my camera. Next time. Then we took a small road trip down to my boyfriends' parent's house so they could meet their grand-doggy. Also took a walk in the woods down there. He did excellently on the leash today, both with me and my boyfriend leading. We think he may have kennel cough. He will be going to the vet sometime this week for his first check-up, and we'll address his sore hips too. They look stiff when he walks but he doesn't seem to mind, but when he's at home it's like he can't get comfortable, even when he's lying on a mattress.

Anyway, we need some advice. We live in a house with a basement, main level, and upstairs. Goliath won't come downstairs to the main level, even with treat bribes. His food and water dish are down here, but I've only seen him drink water twice after walks. He has only eaten a small bit of kibble.

If we get him on a leash he will follow us downstairs, but we spend most of our time down here and wish he would come hang out with us on his own. As soon as the leash is off he is running upstairs again. Is this something that he needs to get used to and do on his own, or is there a way we can get him to come spend time down here?

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Koivunen posted:

Anyway, we need some advice. We live in a house with a basement, main level, and upstairs. Goliath won't come downstairs to the main level, even with treat bribes. His food and water dish are down here, but I've only seen him drink water twice after walks. He has only eaten a small bit of kibble.

If we get him on a leash he will follow us downstairs, but we spend most of our time down here and wish he would come hang out with us on his own. As soon as the leash is off he is running upstairs again. Is this something that he needs to get used to and do on his own, or is there a way we can get him to come spend time down here?

I think it's too early to tell if this is a real issue or just part of his settling in phase. As long as he is not scared of the stairs (sounds like not, since he will run upstairs on his own) and not having accidents/getting into trouble, then I wouldn't worry about it. He might just want some space and have picked out a safe spot. My dog was the opposite, she couldn't be alone for a second and didn't go off by herself until several months after we got her. A more normal adjustment timescale is probably a few days up to a month.

If he needs to be supervised and you want him downstairs because you need to be there, then you could use a babygate, but I would make sure he had a nice spot he can go to and not be bothered.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Sharing in here, too, because Bubbas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JBXFQgAXTk

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Koji :3:

Wednesday night when I was letting the dogs out before bed Kaidan decided that it would be a GREAT idea to chase a skunk behind our shed, break a fence board into our neighbors your and attempt to kill said skunk. He got a couple of scratches and he got sprayed hard so the last few days have been somewhat of a nightmare trying to clear the stench out of the dog and the house. Windows open and fans running most of the day in the middle of November is not fun.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

RIVALS!!! That is SO funny you just posted, I seriously thought of you this morning wondering where the hell you've been. :3: Poor Kaidan! Must be super hard getting the smell outta all that fur.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Have you all seen this? It's the dog that howls to comfort a baby, but set to auto tune: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISt31VBUSK0

Goliath update: We've had him for a week now, and he's doing really well. He's opened up a lot, more to me than my boyfriend, but he's getting there. He has come downstairs now and follows us around for head pats, and when we're out on walks he does playful things like bouncing around and downward-facing-dog. He's getting along well with the cat, and she lets him sniff her, she'll run in between his legs, and they both come to the door when we get home. It's adorable. He's afraid of loud cars and sudden noises and men strangers, but he just shies away, nothing aggressive. He's been approached by many small children who have patted him and he's done wonderfully. Hardly ever pulls on the leash either, so we ended up getting him the 30 foot retractable kind for when we go to the park. Basically the perfect dog.

We brought him to the vet for his first check-up and he's been put on antibiotics for what might be kennel cough. I took video of it and the vet said it's "reverse sneezing" but the antibiotics are seeming to help. He also has really good range of motion in his joints for being an old dog, so what we thought was hip stiffness may have been related to his recent neutering and soreness in the area. He looks better now.

How do you all feed your dogs? I've read anywhere from a cup and a half a day to five+ cups. He's getting Blue Buffalo for senior dogs. He's at a perfect weight right now so we just need to maintain it. We go for two or three 30 minute to 1+ hour long walks through the park every day, and he does a lot of stair climbing at home. He weighs 70 pounds (a lot less than I thought he would). Right now we're giving him two cups in the morning and two cups at night. Is that too much?

PHOTODUMP:

So majestic. This is in the park that is next to our house.

I wanted to get his curly tail but he put it down for this picture.

Lil' explorer.

Beautiful dog. He loves being brushed, so that's a huge plus.

You have a word?

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Apr 25, 2017

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Such a pretty fluffy boy. :3:

Citizen Rat posted:

Though I have heard of mals who like water. I've just not met one.

Niko loves the water, so long as his paws can touch the bottom.

He's about 135 lbs and gets 5-6 cups per day (Taste of the Wild) but eats it all in one go in the evenings. He does the reverse sneezing thing once in a while too and I've had him for 5 years now, so maybe it's just a thing they do.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Koivunen posted:

How do you all feed your dogs? I've read anywhere from a cup and a half a day to five+ cups. He's getting Blue Buffalo for senior dogs. He's at a perfect weight right now so we just need to maintain it. We go for two or three 30 minute to 1+ hour long walks through the park every day, and he does a lot of stair climbing at home. He weighs 70 pounds (a lot less than I thought he would). Right now we're giving him two cups in the morning and two cups at night. Is that too much?

Asa is 35 pounds, a little less activity (minus playing with cats which may equal it out) and gets 2 cups of Performation (basically Blue, damned similar ingredients, calories, etc - high quality food from our Pet Valu chain) a day. So I'd run with the 4 cups and see how he does - weigh him after a month. If he has lost weight, up it a tickle, if he has gained weight, cut back. If you need to up the amount, do it slowly, I know with Asa when I went to up her amount last summer when we were really active, I gave her an extra 1/2 cup a day and it went straight to her hips :/ Cut that down to 1/4 cup extra and perfect. Lots of calories in that kibble!

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

There is no set amount to feed a dog of X-pounds. Your best bet is to try an amount a little less than what the bag recommends and keep close tabs on your dog's body condition. Lay your hands along your pup's sides and see if you can feel the ribs with a slight amount of palpation, and if you can feel your dog's obliques through the fur. If your dog gets a bit too soft in the mid-section, feed less. Too thin, feed more. It's simple, but it can be challenging to find what works for your individual dog. Primitive dogs tend to have rather slow metabolisms and can normally get by on a comparatively small amount of food. You can also drop by your vet's place for periodic weigh-ins. Some boutique pet stores have a scale too which you can drop by to use whenever you want. If you like how your dog looks/feels now at 70lbs, use that as a marker for the future.

e: It's a pet peeve of mine to have people say that people feed a precise amount to their dog each day. I much prefer to feed based on how my dog is looking that week. As a rule my dog (about 37lbs) gets a cup of high calorie food each meal which is twice a day. Some days/weeks she gets fed more. Sometimes she gets less. I think it's nice to be a bit more involved in your dog's body condition.

a life less fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 18, 2012

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Yeah, we basically have a red Solo cup that Buddy gets 1/2 to 3/4 of every day, depending on his condition. He averages 55lb and is a husky. So, yeah, doesn't take much. Oh, and that's only once a day.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

WolfensteinBag posted:

RIVALS!!! That is SO funny you just posted, I seriously thought of you this morning wondering where the hell you've been. :3: Poor Kaidan! Must be super hard getting the smell outta all that fur.

I've been around still just not posting much :) And yeahhh, it's proving to be difficult. Not fun.

Also RE: food it varies a ton. Kaidan is a 42 lb Husky who gets ~3/4 cup of wellness core 2x/day.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Hey, rivals. I just got a random tip about killing skunk smell from my friend just now in passing conversation (we're delivering a foster and ran over a skunk just now, haha)

She suggests Woolite, like the gentle detergent for your clothes. It apparently did wonders to get rid of possum spray as well as skunk spray and its gentle on their skin. Good luck, man. I can't even imagine. :(

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Thanks for the suggestion! Luckily my clothes aren't too bad since I changed out of them as soon as I got him inside and started bathing him, but our sheets have a faint smell and I'm sure his bedding smells pretty bad too so I'll pick some up and use it for those. We got some good suggestions on washing it out of him so I've bathed him a few times since the event (as well as using some conditioner stuff to help make sure his skin doesn't dry out too much). So far it's almost completely off of him but if you smell him up close there's still a hint of it there. Thankfully we're at the home stretch and at least now I guess we don't have to worry about there being a skunk in our backyard anymore :v:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

rivals posted:

Thanks for the suggestion! Luckily my clothes aren't too bad since I changed out of them as soon as I got him inside and started bathing him, but our sheets have a faint smell and I'm sure his bedding smells pretty bad too so I'll pick some up and use it for those. We got some good suggestions on washing it out of him so I've bathed him a few times since the event (as well as using some conditioner stuff to help make sure his skin doesn't dry out too much). So far it's almost completely off of him but if you smell him up close there's still a hint of it there. Thankfully we're at the home stretch and at least now I guess we don't have to worry about there being a skunk in our backyard anymore :v:

Don't know if you already tried this, but tomato juice works 100%. We've had more than a few cats/dogs get sprayed, along with farm equipment, and tomato juice always gets the smell out in one, maybe 2 goes.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Could be worse, could be a porcupine! God drat, but my old malamute could not figure out to leave those things alone and it was always terrifying.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Yeah I've heard absolute horror stories about dogs + porcupines. Thankfully the neighbors fixed the fence themselves, but I still need to secure the side of the shed he was able to squeeze through.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

StandardToast posted:

Alright, I'm pretty new to this thread but I have some pretty serious questions for anyone who could possibly help. My roommate bought a husky from a pet store a little over a year ago. That was her first mistake because he's terribly inbred and dumb as a box of rocks. She made the mistake of not doing any kind of research into the breed and as a result we now have a terribly trained 50 pound dog on our hands. We got lucky in that he's never chewed shoes or furniture, but he's a jumped and way, WAY overly hyper.

It's HER dog, and he stays in the basement with her (it's her room) but he doesn't have a kennel. The bathroom is his kennel. I know she doesn't walk him enough, but is there anything I can do for the times I'm actually around to make him... I dunno, less hyper, or at least less jumpy? For never owning a dog, he seems to listen to me, but that's in part to me knowing I need to stay calm and that yelling/getting upset doesn't really get you anywhere.

PS I love everyone's dogs on here :3

StandardToast posted:

It's not even that she doesn't have the time, she's just lazy, and I don't have the time (no, he's not mine but I feel bad for him). She went in looking for something small to keep her company because she took the year off, but came back with a 4 month old husky. He can be a sweet dog but most of us (other roommates and neighbors) don't want to be around him. I'll definitely look into that and see if I can do anything.

Finally have a chance to get back to this with a good reply. I hope you're still checking the thread! It sounds like even though it's not your dog, at least you have a good rapport with him. Knowing how to handle yourself around him is going to do you wonders if you want to teach him to calm down. The biggest hurdle you're going to have, though, is consistency. If you come up with a good system and rules for the dog, is everyone in the house going to abide by them? Is it just you and your roommate? All of your hard work can be for naught if she doesn't do her part and at least do the bare minimum of following the rules.

Case in point. I have this client with a shiba that had no idea what she was getting in to, but caught on straight away with training and needing to be strict/consistent. He might try to push the boundaries, but she always had him sit at the door, never fail, when he left. If her mom picked up, she did the same. The last year or so, though, she started dating this new guy. He's really awesome and loves the dog, but his last visit, I noticed Kobi was a lot more of an rear end than usual. I thought it was odd, until the man picked up. Let Kobi run RIGHT out that door! hahaha Yeah, let up in one spot, and they push you with everything.

Anyway, the training you're going to want to work on is pretty much making him "ask nice" for everything he could possibly want. In the past it's been called Nothing in Life is Free or NILIF training, but lately I've seen a backlash of using those terms because they've been crossed over to dominance stuff, which is definitely NOT what you want. It's not that the dog sees everything coming from you, so you're dominant over the dog- it's that good things come from you when the dog is polite so the dog learns to listen. Want your dinner? Sit and down. Want to go outside? Sit/stay until you release. Want that toy? Sit nice. See a pattern, here? If you ONLY ever reward the dog for good, calm behavior (this includes attention/pets) than the dog will realize this is how to act. It's not a natural thing for dogs to sit polite like that, it's a human rule that they have to learn.

Remember, the dog can't listen to a command you didn't teach. I see this all the time, and it's even something I have to remind myself of now and again. A dog jumps up and acts wild for attention, and the person tries reasoning with the dog, "Come on, cut it out! Get down! No!" The thing to remember, again, is consistency. Not only should the dog have the same rules for all situations, they need the same commands. If the dog is jumping, what will you call the command to stop? "Down"? Will that command be used to teach the dog to lay down later? "Off"? Is that just off a human, or off the couch as well? "Settle"? This one can be good for a general "calm down" rule. You need to decide what commands you're going to use, and make sure everyone in contact with the dog is using the same terms for the dog to learn it.

Pet peeve of mine, my husband is the more lax one in our family. Since Buddy knows it, he's a lot more rambunctious going out the door. I catch my husband CONSTANTLY telling Buddy to "Sit down." This drives me absolutely crazy, because it's so confusing! Sit=Sit, but Lay Down=Lay Down. "Sit Down"? Buddy gets confused, but my husband gets frustrated that he won't listen!

I hope all this rambling is helping a bit. I just can't stress enough how much consistency is important in ANY dog training, but like 100X so with primitive dogs. Give them an inch, and they'll take 20 miles.

I really hope you end up making progress with the guy. He might surprise you with how smart he is, once you get a little obedience under his belt. :)

Hij
May 29, 2005

Illuminado posted:

Hello Thread! Not sure if my beast belongs here, but I believe so.

We picked him up from our county animal shelter, and he seemed very playful. Vet seems to think he's a JRT & Basenji mix, and his attitude reflects a lot of the independent, 'I do what I want, DEAL WITH IT!' mentality.

He's incredibly intelligent, and has taken to training very well (when properly motivated, usually by kibble). The problem I'm running into now is that he knows what commands mean; sit, lie down, etc., but doesn't consistently react, ie: he'll do it when he feels like it. Going to be taking this up in the training thread...

Ahhhh, Adama (my Basenji) is the same way - he clearly knows exactly what we're saying to him but unless he feels like it's in his best interest, he'll just go about his business. Luckily he's generally so well behaved that we rarely have a problem anyway. Biggest issue is how much he HATES water. Whenever the ground is damp, even if it's not actually raining anymore, it is like pulling teeth trying to get him to go outside to pee/poop. But at the very least, he absolutely won't do it inside anymore. He just cries and whines and runs around all crazy until he's desperate enough to just suck it up and go outside. Silly puppy.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Yet another Goliath update (sorry, I have been flooding this thread recently).

I can't believe how perfect of a dog he is. He is such a good boy, I can't begin to describe how wonderful he is. No luck with teaching him to sit or lay down or whatever, but he is so mellow that I don't think we will actively pursue trying to teach him new tricks. He listens to his name and he comes when he is called, and if we use the right tone for "no" he leaves stuff alone.

We had to rig up a storage bin retreat for the cat's food. She is free fed, and Goliath was eating her food in the middle of the night. We turned a plastic box on its side and taped the lid halfway down so she has to go inside to eat. It's working out so far.

It looks like the snow is here to stay, so we have been taking him to the park just to run around in the snow. He loves it. Have a shaky <30 second video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPIlr2DepfM

It was "shelter pets take over Facebook" day on Tuesday, so I tried to get a picture of the cat and the dog together. Harder than it sounds. Could also be titled "drunk pets."

So silly.

Do you have no modesty?

Edit: Forgot to add that we gave him a bath last Friday. Lots of gray water in the initial rinse. Now he is so soft and silky and smells much better, and we can pet him and not get a film of oil on our hands. He didn't like it very much but he did way better than I thought he was going to do. Some whining and trying to get out of the tub initially, but he did a good job overall.

I love him...

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 29, 2012

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Please flood the thread; Goliath is the best. I want to smoosh him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

• Locked thread