Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sure, friends with a dead person, robots and a god that doesnt exist. Lets just add an eons old entity of indeterminate origin to that mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Don't forget being on civil speaking terms with an unknown number of grim reapers, forest denizens and a classroom full of knuckleheads and joiks.

kirrus
Feb 17, 2011

At long last. Volume Two!
All these gifs are great, and the story.. just.. did not see that coming.

Still.. ermm.. still waiting!
<---

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So is the chapter going to end on Monday with "I honestly don't know." ?

Well I was off by two strips.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
I am so happy to have experienced the last pages of the comic and the thread in real time :allears:

You're all great.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

MikeJF posted:

Would you call the court robots alive, then?

What are we, but machines of carbon and nitrogen and oxygen and hydrogen? We use electricity in the form of electrochemical potential we extract from chemical reactions. Just like a robot, only with even greater efficiency.

I suppose that, say if you consider a bacterium to be alive, but a mere flame (not a fire elemental) to be not-alive, then it would be somewhat arbitrary. It would require a creature to be more than the tendency to reproduce and equalise energy gradients to be considered alive. It would need DNA and proteins and other junk. Self-replicating chemical patterns. It's a difficult definition.

A lever is not alive. A transistor is not alive, and it is a type of lever. A thousand transistors is not alive. Nor is a million. But a billion? A trillion? What if they, together, achieve sentience?

Personally, I'd call the robots living creatures. Simply because they are sentient and calling them "alive" would make it easier to give them rights if you petitioned to the UN or something. I'd call Jones alive too, despite her definition of what's alive, because I think she's seen enough horribleness and people rejecting her and should be included in stuff. Unless she associates "alive-ness" with violence and fear and war and other negative things, but I still consider her a person.

Edit:

Freudian posted:

Zimmy sees all humans as symbolic representations of themselves based on poo poo like fire-mask and robotdeathbird and stuff, right? So the reason she finds Jones so creepy is because she sees a plain human. And she has no idea what the gently caress one of those is.

Wait, has Zimmy met Coyote yet? We know what Coyote looks like through Annie, when she sees him ethereally, but what would Zimmy see? If Coyote exists as the sum of all the thoughts and feelings that humans have had of him, would she gain a glimpse of every mind that has ever contemplated him?

When Zimmy saw Kat in the last story, my thought was that she was seeing more than Kat herself, she was seeing the perception the robots had of her and the belief they had in her - that she is an angel, their angel, and that is what Zimmy was seeing. So if Zimmy met Coyote...youch! That could end badly.

IronClaymore fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 10, 2012

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Do we know if Jones feels emotions?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

IronClaymore posted:

What are we, but machines of carbon and nitrogen and oxygen and hydrogen? We use electricity in the form of electrochemical potential we extract from chemical reactions. Just like a robot, only with even greater efficiency.

I suppose that, say if you consider a bacterium to be alive, but a mere flame (not a fire elemental) to be not-alive, then it would be somewhat arbitrary. It would require a creature to be more than the tendency to reproduce and equalise energy gradients to be considered alive. It would need DNA and proteins and other junk. Self-replicating chemical patterns. It's a difficult definition.

A lever is not alive. A transistor is not alive, and it is a type of lever. A thousand transistors is not alive. Nor is a million. But a billion? A trillion? What if they, together, achieve sentience?

Personally, I'd call the robots living creatures. Simply because they are sentient and calling them "alive" would make it easier to give them rights if you petitioned to the UN or something. I'd call Jones alive too, despite her definition of what's alive, because I think she's seen enough horribleness and people rejecting her and should be included in stuff. Unless she associates "alive-ness" with violence and fear and war and other negative things, but I still consider her a person.

It's a semantic issue, to a degree. I'd just as not all living creatures are sentient and sapient and deserving of human rights, I accept the possibility of something that is those things without having to reclassify it to a life-form. It doesn't make their consciousness any less in worth.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

A student posted:

Well, she seems really nice, and helpful, and even loving on occasion, though she doesn't express these in the normal sort of way.

Do her actions show the presence of positive emotions, or merely the absence of negative emotions? I'm inclined to think if she lacked emotions entirely, she'd just sit there observing and watching stuff happen, both bad and good.

I'm going to go with Eglamore on this one. I don't think he'd love her, if he didn't think she'd love him back :3:

(Maybe she's just extremely reserved? I like to hope that's it.)

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

IronClaymore posted:

Well, she seems really nice, and helpful, and even loving on occasion, though she doesn't express these in the normal sort of way.

Do her actions show the presence of positive emotions, or merely the absence of negative emotions? I'm inclined to think if she lacked emotions entirely, she'd just sit there observing and watching stuff happen, both bad and good.

I'm going to go with Eglamore on this one. I don't think he'd love her, if he didn't think she'd love him back :3:

(Maybe she's just extremely reserved? I like to hope that's it.)

She definitely seems compassionate above all else. To Eglamore, old man Langdon, to the Jones she took her name from. She helped the Cro-Magnon hunt for food. She hasn't appeared to do anything that would outright hurt anyone, ever.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

She definitely seems compassionate above all else. To Eglamore, old man Langdon, to the Jones she took her name from. She helped the Cro-Magnon hunt for food. She hasn't appeared to do anything that would outright hurt anyone, ever.

Don't forget Dr. Disaster!

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Don't forget Dr. Disaster!

Yes! I shouldn't have overlooked the most :3: example of all!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dear Avatar Fairy:

I am still getting weirded out every time I see one of my posts and I miss my parrotfrog and :cry:

E.J.Olmos
Jan 1, 2008

Man marathoning the whole comic a few months back then reading it regularly has ended up being such a good idea.

The evolving art style of this (also scary go round/bad machinery) is really striking when so many years are condensed like that. It must be pretty satisfying to look back at where you've come from and see where you are now.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Shugojin posted:

Dear Avatar Fairy:

I am still getting weirded out every time I see one of my posts and I miss my parrotfrog and :cry:

But you got the best tea avatar!

I hope there's new City Face strips soon and we get a wave of avatars based on him. Not for any particular reason, of course.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah it's pretty much just sudden avatar change disorder, I had the parrotfrog for a few years. I'll get used to this eventually :v:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
This does nothing at all to explain how she can have a lap comfortable enough for Eglamore.

Also, dear Avatar Fairy:

You have too much money.

Give some to Tom instead of blowing it all on avatars.

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

A student posted:

She spent a whole day wearing a party hat. That just isn't something a heartless automaton would do.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

There was also the scene where she was giving out flowers to everyone.

Even though she was trying to force Smitty and Parley together.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Shugojin posted:

Yeah it's pretty much just sudden avatar change disorder, I had the parrotfrog for a few years. I'll get used to this eventually :v:

All I want is for the Avatar Fairy to explain to me how I can make the form accept my credit card information so I can finally purchase one of my own! I have a Bear And Kitten one ready and waiting to go. No matter what I do it tells me I'm inputting incorrect info, even when I know it's all right. Is this at all a common problem or am I cursed?

P.S. I liked your parrotfrog.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
No but seriously Tom, what is she?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Macaluso posted:

Some kind of bug.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Macaluso posted:

A rice-a-roni jabroni.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

Macaluso posted:

Not a robot.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Macaluso posted:

A serial pedophile on a geological timescale :colbert:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

MikeJF posted:

Would you call the court robots alive, then?

They are born, grow, reproduce, and even evolve.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

Macaluso posted:

A really cool dog.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

MoreLikeTen posted:

Nope, just a cougar :heysexy:

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Macaluso posted:

She's one of the best characters in a webcomic called Gunnerkrigg Court, which tells the ongoing saga of a bird called City Face.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Battle Pigeon posted:

I hope there's new City Face strips soon and we get a wave of avatars based on him. Not for any particular reason, of course.
City Face avatars make me happy.

I've liked this set of comics so far; it's deliberately written for the books, and so keeping the punchline for the last two strips in the comments is a pretty good way to amuse the current readers while crafting a very good book.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

More canvases for Thought Bubble, from Tom's tumblr:

Also more of that super-cool blue wall.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Some day I will have one of those City Face canvasses. Someday. :allears:

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

All coyote, all the time. I LOVE Tom's Coyote depictions. I used to live in Kitimat, British Columbia and Haisla art was everywhere. Coyote's colours and style remind me of that so much.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

This one has kind of a 3D thing going on. His canvases are always awesome.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

I know a bison who would disagree.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Also more of that super-cool blue wall.

I like this one a lot. I kind of wish it were a print to be honest.
Though now that I think of it, it reminds me of the Sonic & Knuckles logo.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Parahexavoctal posted:

I know a bison who would disagree.

By 'anyone' I mean specifically human. If psychopomps come for a bug they come for a big-rear end bison, so maybe she has developed a certain philosophy about animal vs. human life that allows for 'necessary' killing. On that note, though, does Jones eat? She gave that bag of candy to Shadow but we've never seen her eat anything that I can recall and she appeared to have no interest in it herself.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

She doesn't breathe or eat.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

MoreLikeTen posted:

Jones was gettin' all up in Earth before there was even grass on the field :mad:

Okay that joke made me feel real gross I'm gonna go think about my life now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I looked it up guys, triple R GEM is

Respirate
Reproduce
Respond to Stimulus

Grow
Excrete
Move

but this was a 7th grade biology class over a decade ago so I'm pretty sure that's not the end-all be all definition.