Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
You weren't the first and probably won't be the last ;) it's on the list.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Oh wait, we're back to using Awful in the OP? I thought everyone was using Awful S II MAXX, no wonder the update never appeared on my phone.

Edit: I was getting confused, the old Awful still shows up in the app store with the same icon as the new one. I know they're the same app with different owners :suicide:

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 11, 2012

darthbodacious
Apr 6, 2007
remarkably disappointing
Is there a new method for going full screen on iPhone? I thought it used to be triple-tap... and at one point maybe pinch?

All in all a great app.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
It was posted earlier that unpinch to zoom was coming back, I don't think triple tap ever worked?

darthbodacious
Apr 6, 2007
remarkably disappointing
Thanks, I must have missed it.
Glad to see it return; thanks!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Put me in the "in-app browser > safari" camp as well.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Mo0 posted:

It was posted earlier that unpinch to zoom was coming back, I don't think triple tap ever worked?
It worked. I'd like that back since I tend to do everything on my phone with one hand. Right now I have to put my other hand on the screen just for going in and out of full screen. It was nice to just put my thumb on the screen and tap three times.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Put me in the "in-app browser > safari" camp as well.

In-app browser is definitely useful on iPhone, I don't really care either way on iPad due to the three-finger swipe.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Put me in the camp that likes opening urls in the safari app. Viewing an image or a single page in the awful app is fine, but if you end up actually browsing, the full web browser is a lot better for it.

step aside
Sep 21, 2011

xzzy posted:

Put me in the camp that likes opening urls in the safari app. Viewing an image or a single page in the awful app is fine, but if you end up actually browsing, the full web browser is a lot better for it.

That's just it though, if you're going to view an image or a single page it's annoying to have to switch apps when you're going to go right back to Awful in a second. If you're going to actually browse you can use the share button in the in app browser to send it to safari. For me, it's far more common that i just want to quickly view an image or page than want to start actually browsing.

To just view an image link and then close the image:

In-app browser: click link, then close it and you're right back at the thread. Two taps.

Safari: click link. hit tab button, close tab. double tap home button to bring up taskbar, open Awful. Six taps.

It's unnecessarily convoluted if you just want to view an image or quickly look at a page.

step aside fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 11, 2012

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I'd also posit that the majority of links are going to be image links. For websites linked to SA that you might actually want to navigate through (which like I said, would probably be in the minority), the above suggestion of using the share button would be best.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Add a long press option on hyperlinks to open in safari? Or set a default in settings and put the other "Open in..." options on the long press menu?

E: and another thing: when the app used to have the in-app browsing, it didn't let you long press images to copy or save them.

AWWNAW fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 11, 2012

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Would there be a way to open an image in app in an "image browser" and any other link in Safari? Maybe that could be a compromise.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Exellent work, thanks so much :)

Hope you manage to sneak TCC back in in a future update ;)

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
Just a heads up that I'm getting a crash every time I go to open a link within the new Awful app on my ipad.

Edit: also that incoming forums superstar message when posting is a little, uh. Uh.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

myron cope posted:

Would there be a way to open an image in app in an "image browser" and any other link in Safari? Maybe that could be a compromise.

Seconding this. Also make it so you can close the image viewer with a downward swipe like in Facebook.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem
Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but the Go to Page button is covered in landscape mode on my iPhone.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

A weird one: I was trying to use the format shortcut you guys built in when I was typing a reply, but every time I clicked on it (I was trying to use italic formatting, if it matters), it closed that menu and jumped back to the top of my post without inserting the tags. Now when I try it here, it does the same thing as soon as I press "format".

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

ClydeUmney posted:

A weird one: I was trying to use the format shortcut you guys built in when I was typing a reply, but every time I clicked on it (I was trying to use italic formatting, if it matters), it closed that menu and jumped back to the top of my post without inserting the tags. Now when I try it here, it does the same thing as soon as I press "format".
How weird, it was working fine for me and now it's doing the exact same thing.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Chuck Bartowski posted:

How weird, it was working fine for me and now it's doing the exact same thing.
Mine was working great earlier too (when it was first posted about in here). I don't know what changed.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

TransatlanticFoe posted:

Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but the Go to Page button is covered in landscape mode on my iPhone.

I can confirm this as well, on an iPhone 5 with 6.0.1.

A little bummed that the pull-for-fullscreen thing isn't there anymore (I think it was in the non-Maxx version?). Going back and forth from iPad to iPhone is a bit jarring, and it was nice to be able to maximize the phone screen real estate.

E: can't get the formatting option to work either, it just pulls up on the screen a hair then disappears.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I think the simplest and most everybody-wins solution to the link opening problem would be, when you click on a link, to just open a menu containing "View in Awful" and "Open in Safari" (and/or other browser) as choices. Or, if the link points to a forum, thread or post, just jump to it in Awful.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I thought pokeyman said the reason for not having/wanting the in app browser was that it was a pain to maintain?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
I'm getting a crash every time I try and open an SA link from a post; anyone else seeing this? I have Chrome installed, if that matters.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp

ulmont posted:

I'm getting a crash every time I try and open an SA link from a post; anyone else seeing this? I have Chrome installed, if that matters.

Ja, same here. I have Chrome too if that's relevant.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

myron cope posted:

I thought pokeyman said the reason for not having/wanting the in app browser was that it was a pain to maintain?

Only in the sense that more code is harder to maintain than less code. If we can do without something, in general I'd prefer to do without.

Doesn't seem like the built-in browser was one of those things. Now I know!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ulmont posted:

Yeah that's my bad, doesn't have to do with Chrome just a failing entirely my own. It's "fixed" in a future release and I'll actually fix it soon I hope.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I think an option of both would be best, maybe on long-press on the link. If someone is linking to a video or an article I'd much rather have it in Safari so that I can go back to the forums and check it out at a later date.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Question Mark Mound posted:

I think an option of both would be best, maybe on long-press on the link. If someone is linking to a video or an article I'd much rather have it in Safari so that I can go back to the forums and check it out at a later date.

I agree. Especially as if it was a YouTube video, it would make Awful run out of memory or something (iPad 2), and the screen would be blank when I go back to the thread. Would have to reload the whole page and find my place again.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

A menu on single tap would be horrible. Single tap = In Awful browser or Hold tap = Open in third party menu makes the most sense to me.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

dirtyfrog posted:

I'm surprised no one else has commented on this, maybe it's only me, but after clicking on any thread in my bookmarks it takes a good 2-3 seconds before anything happens. Old new iPad.

I think this is a perception thing. Previously the app would immediately jump to a blank thread view and fill it in after a few seconds. Now it highlights the thread you tapped and works for a few seconds before going to a thread view and immediately fill it with posts.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's my experience too. The old app isn't faster, it just "did stuff" to hide that data was still loading.

I guess from a usability perspective the old behavior is better, as a lot of people are complaining about it, but in a stopwatch test there's no difference.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I agree. Especially as if it was a YouTube video, it would make Awful run out of memory or something (iPad 2), and the screen would be blank when I go back to the thread. Would have to reload the whole page and find my place again.

I've had this happen too (also on an iPad 2), so count me as another who'd prefer some way to choose in-app or Safari when clicking a link.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Okay, YouTube problems are back, on the new version.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515797&pagenumber=140#post409504325

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

The Dave posted:

A menu on single tap would be horrible. Single tap = In Awful browser or Hold tap = Open in third party menu makes the most sense to me.

I was about to suggest the same thing. This seems like it would be a good approach.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

The Dave posted:

Single tap = In Awful browser or Hold tap = Open in third party menu makes the most sense to me.

Sounds good to me. I think it should be possible to open YT links in the Jasmine app as well.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
You need the ios6 blob pull to refresh thing.

awesomekittens
Jan 26, 2007
oh my god dinosaur
I'm still getting that annoying jump to the top of the page. Seems mainly to happen in image-heavy threads, especially when you scroll to a gif. on further inspection it seems to happen when you scroll down too fast. Like, say, if you're trying to get to the last post on a page.

I know a "last post on current page" button was suggested earlier. Did that make it in 1.8/9? This would be super useful especially since when you post in a thread, it doesn't jump down to your post after submitting, but loads starting from the top of the page.

I like the suggestion to tap for in-app browser and hold for external browser. Maybe it "open in safari" could just be one of the options along with copy URL or whatever?

awesomekittens fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 13, 2012

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is there any way to upload an image from within the app and not have it be square?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Problem: When following a link to another thread from within Awful, Awful crashes to homescreen. (Tried 4 so far)

• Locked thread