Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cock Democracy
Jan 1, 2003

Now that is the finest piece of chilean sea bass I have ever smelled
I think something's wrong with sprint wimax in San Antonio. I've used wimax on my evo 3D in other cities like NYC and Philly, but in San Antonio, I'd get a wimax signal and have completely non-working internet wherever I went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
What do I have to do (other than wait) to get my Note 2 to update so I can get the split screen multi-tasking?

How long should I expect to wait?

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Totally TWISTED posted:

I received an "Unknown" call a few days ago on my Sprint phone. Unfortunately I didn't decide to try and determine the number that called me until after other phone calls had been made and received on the phone. What options do I have for tracking down the number that the call originated from?

It will show up on your next bill, you can view the detailed bill online. It should show up in your call log on the phone also. This is assuming by unknown that it was a number you did not recognize and not a blocked number. If it was blocked you would have have a lawyer and possibly the authorities involved to have a chance in hell to get the number.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Giblet posted:

It will show up on your next bill, you can view the detailed bill online. It should show up in your call log on the phone also. This is assuming by unknown that it was a number you did not recognize and not a blocked number. If it was blocked you would have have a lawyer and possibly the authorities involved to have a chance in hell to get the number.

It doesn't show up in the call log on the phone, well it does but just as "Unknown". I'll keep an eye out for the next bill just in case though.

thenakedflip
Feb 22, 2005

Krime posted:

What do I have to do (other than wait) to get my Note 2 to update so I can get the split screen multi-tasking?

How long should I expect to wait?

Here is a link from XDA forums, someone posted it a few days ago. I've done it and it works well. There are limited apps that are available for it unless you are rooted, then there is a mod you can flash that makes all apps available.

Dropbox link

I had to download to an sd card, and then load it using stock recovery, since I'm not rooted.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

Cock Democracy posted:

I think something's wrong with sprint wimax in San Antonio. I've used wimax on my evo 3D in other cities like NYC and Philly, but in San Antonio, I'd get a wimax signal and have completely non-working internet wherever I went.

Wimax just sucks here, always has. That's why my mind is blown that I get great LTE here. I couldn't get wimax to save my life on my old Evo anywhere but I rarely lose 4G with my SG3, and that's driving from one side of town to the other for work.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sprint has gone to complete poo poo in Omaha over the past couple days.

I used to be able to reliably stream Pandora, now I can't, because it would appear my downstream speed is around dialup speed.

What gives, it used to be half decent barring the absolutely terrible building penetration and weird 1-bar zones scattered throughout midtown, but now it's the trifecta of slow, spotty, and stand the gently caress outside to get signal.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

Sprint has gone to complete poo poo in Omaha over the past couple days.

I used to be able to reliably stream Pandora, now I can't, because it would appear my downstream speed is around dialup speed.

What gives, it used to be half decent barring the absolutely terrible building penetration and weird 1-bar zones scattered throughout midtown, but now it's the trifecta of slow, spotty, and stand the gently caress outside to get signal.

Oh hey, I got my AT&T Straight Talk SIM coming so I'll know how they fare versus Sprint as soon as I can get the Nexus 4. If you want my impressions of AT&T's service, just head to the prepaid thread as I'll talk about it there.

As for Sprint, I can't even look at an e-mail without the data choking on me and even looking at the Awful Betamax app kills the battery because it's always using so much power to load even just text on such a slow connection.

I'm actually getting below dial-up speeds here in Northern Omaha. I'm really not sure what's going on.

As for signal, it routinely is around 0 to 1 bars every day and full bars around 4-6am. I think there are too many Sprint users in Omaha or something. If I stay on 3G for even 3 hours now, I can be sure my battery will be dead by the third hour.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

ThermoPhysical posted:

As for signal, it routinely is around 0 to 1 bars every day and full bars around 4-6am. I think there are too many Sprint users in Omaha or something. If I stay on 3G for even 3 hours now, I can be sure my battery will be dead by the third hour.

Is that how signal even works? I thought that if you're within range of a tower, you should get bars or you shouldn't. The number of people connected to the tower shouldn't have anything to do with it. That's what slow data but strong connections are for.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="409502236"]
Is that how signal even works? I thought that if you're within range of a tower, you should get bars or you shouldn't. The number of people connected to the tower shouldn't have anything to do with it. That's what slow data but strong connections are for.

There was a lot of congestion on Virgin Mobile with data and signal when so many people had the Optimus V so it's possible, I guess.

That and I live right down the street from a tower and still get 0-2 bars every day from 7am to around 3am. I figure most people are sleep by then (except me because of work).

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="409502236"]
The more phones there are connected to a tower, the smaller the tower's range becomes. That's what I've read.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

td4guy posted:

The more phones there are connected to a tower, the smaller the tower's range becomes. That's what I've read.

I just don't get how that works. Do you mean connected by voice/data/text or just connected because the phone is on and in range?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="409502236"]Is that how signal even works? I thought that if you're within range of a tower, you should get bars or you shouldn't.
Well so now we're getting into what "bars" means.

There's two general ways to discuss signal conditions. The first is an absolute signal (received power) level, measured in dBm. The second is a relative measure of signal-to-noise, for example, Ec/Io.

The reason why signal-to-noise is important is because if you're in a weak signal area, the more noise (other phones) there is, the less understandable that weak signal is. Sometimes that translates to slower speed (as the phone can slow its symbol rate to compensate for noisy conditions), but it's not just a speed issue.

For one, when there's a lot of noise, your phone has to transmit at a higher power, longer duration, or both to get above the noise floor, which consumes battery life faster. It also limits your reception distance and building penetration ability, since again, there's a higher noise floor.

Now here's the fun part. The RSSI indicator ("bars") in AOSP is a function of both absolute received power (dBm) and signal-to-noise (Ec/Io). However, the stock ROM of every non-AOSP Sprint phone that I'm aware is modified so that RSSI shows received power only. So the difference is whether you're holding a Nexus S 4G or not.

There's actually a bit more to the RSSI than that even, because there's separate levels for 1x, EVDO, and now LTE. It's quite a mess. Personally I wouldn't care, except one of the complains that xda folks frequently make against CM is how radio reception is "so much worse" because of the damned placebo RSSI. The numeric levels can be identical between stock ROM and CM but they see fewer bars, and so it must be worse.

Oh, and stock ROMs often actually have more bars (e.g., 6 vs 4). I hate bars.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Is it possible to swap numbers on lines? Put one person who's currently on EPRP on my SERO line and the other number on the EPRP line?

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

bigpolar posted:

Has anyone here upgraded from an EVO 3D to the note 2? I'm considering getting it, but I'm worried about the 3g radio.

I usually constantly stream Internet radio on my phone while I'm working, but I only get 3-4 bars in my office. I don't want to shell out for the note 2 and lose my distraction source.

I was going to go for an iPhone out of frustration for the hardware issues with android phones, but the size of the note 2 is very attractive to me. I used to be jealous of the Dell streak 5 on at&t, so I'm happy to see this size device on sprint finally.

I would encourage you to try the iPhone... You can always sell it and cover the EFT (this early into its life you can also cover what you paid so in the end it won't cost you anything to try it for a month or two).

You'll be shocked at the build quality and support compared to Android phones.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I've recently started having intermittent problems with my EVO 3D, particularly with the touchscreen. Specifically, the bottom portion of the touchscreen becomes partly or completely unresponsive, sometimes the capacitive buttons also give me trouble. Oddly, when rotating from portrait to landscape the unresponsive area shifts as well. I had initially assumed this might be the dreaded dying digitizer, but given that the affected area shifts I'm wondering if it might be a software issue. Should also be noted that a battery pull will fix the issue (for varying amounts of time) and sometimes the problem simply goes away after a while. I bought the phone new and it's never been rooted/flashed with a custom ROM, running stock ICS/Sense.

Ideally I'd like to hold out with this phone until at least May when my upgrade comes. So, is this most likely the digitizer issue? Or is there a possibility a simple factory reset might solve my ills?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh hey, I got my AT&T Straight Talk SIM coming so I'll know how they fare versus Sprint as soon as I can get the Nexus 4. If you want my impressions of AT&T's service, just head to the prepaid thread as I'll talk about it there.

As for Sprint, I can't even look at an e-mail without the data choking on me and even looking at the Awful Betamax app kills the battery because it's always using so much power to load even just text on such a slow connection.

I'm actually getting below dial-up speeds here in Northern Omaha. I'm really not sure what's going on.

Yeah, it was pretty poo poo up there - my girlfriend volunteers at the humane society and right around the time we hit 90th and Blondo or so Pandora had given up trying to buffer.

iceslice
May 20, 2005
Have there been any new updates on the LTE service roll-out, or is it all people posting they have service online? Its pretty frustrating to see "AT&T Now has LTE in your area" billboards when I drive down the road, and nothing from Sprint when you're paying the cash. I'd almost like to jump ship, but I don't want to pay the cash and I like them.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Well so now we're getting into what "bars" means.

There's two general ways to discuss signal conditions. The first is an absolute signal (received power) level, measured in dBm. The second is a relative measure of signal-to-noise, for example, Ec/Io.

The reason why signal-to-noise is important is because if you're in a weak signal area, the more noise (other phones) there is, the less understandable that weak signal is. Sometimes that translates to slower speed (as the phone can slow its symbol rate to compensate for noisy conditions), but it's not just a speed issue.

For one, when there's a lot of noise, your phone has to transmit at a higher power, longer duration, or both to get above the noise floor, which consumes battery life faster. It also limits your reception distance and building penetration ability, since again, there's a higher noise floor.

Now here's the fun part. The RSSI indicator ("bars") in AOSP is a function of both absolute received power (dBm) and signal-to-noise (Ec/Io). However, the stock ROM of every non-AOSP Sprint phone that I'm aware is modified so that RSSI shows received power only. So the difference is whether you're holding a Nexus S 4G or not.

There's actually a bit more to the RSSI than that even, because there's separate levels for 1x, EVDO, and now LTE. It's quite a mess. Personally I wouldn't care, except one of the complains that xda folks frequently make against CM is how radio reception is "so much worse" because of the damned placebo RSSI. The numeric levels can be identical between stock ROM and CM but they see fewer bars, and so it must be worse.

Oh, and stock ROMs often actually have more bars (e.g., 6 vs 4). I hate bars.

Huh. So my NS4G is getting more signal than it shows?

The Entire Universe posted:

Yeah, it was pretty poo poo up there - my girlfriend volunteers at the humane society and right around the time we hit 90th and Blondo or so Pandora had given up trying to buffer.

Oh, I know you're on an LTE phone now, but a friend of mine says that there's a WiMax signal from the tower on 114th and Dodge.

So if anyone in Omaha on a WiMax device wants WiMax for a bit, could try there.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

Huh. So my NS4G is getting more signal than it shows?
If you were to put a Nexus S 4G and Epic 4G side by side (they have the same radios), the Epic on stock ROM would show more bars, but the actual signal conditions/quality between the devices would be identical.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

td4guy posted:

Just got an email from Sprint. There are gonna be a couple of changes starting on Dec 1. It says that we can opt-in to targeted ads. And that we're already opted into a "Reporting & Analytics Program". We can opt out of that if we want. It looks like each line on your account has to have their preferences individually adjusted.

I've been trying to opt out of this for a while and the website keeps conveniently crashing every single time I do. Website is fine for anything else, like paying your bills or shopping for items.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If you were to put a Nexus S 4G and Epic 4G side by side (they have the same radios), the Epic on stock ROM would show more bars, but the actual signal conditions/quality between the devices would be identical.

Ahh, so the Nexus devices show a more "true" signal then? I wonder how it'll be for the N4 on Straight Talk's AT&T.

Is this the same for iPhones/iPads, do you know?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

Ahh, so the Nexus devices show a more "true" signal then?
I suppose you could say that. In other words, some effort went into making the stock Android RSSI indicator "intuitively" reflect signal conditions.

But phones are complicated beasts with multiple radios and operating modes and that jazz, I don't think any bar-style indicator should be particularly trusted other than as some cursory measure that signal conditions "now" are somewhat better or worse than they "were" a few minutes ago.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I wonder how it'll be for the N4 on Straight Talk's AT&T.
Aside from being a GSM device, I don't see why they'd change the general behavior.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is this the same for iPhones/iPads, do you know?
It's possible the calculation Android uses may actually be standardized (even if it's not followed). I don't know what the iPhone does.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
Smaller update this time, possibly due to the hurricane/storms and outages.

PR/VI (40), Atlanta/Athens (39), LA Metro (36), Chicago (31), DFW (26), SF Bay (24), Boston (19), Houston (16), Baltimore (11), Shentel (11), Miami/West Palm (8), Kansas (7), San Antonio (7), Austin (6), Indianapolis (6), Ft. Wayne/South Bend (5), Washington DC (5), Memphis (4), New York City (4), Delaware (2), Charlotte (2), Raleigh/Durham (2), Riverside/San Bernardino (2), South Bay (2), Jacksonville (1), Nashville (1), North LA (1), San Diego (1)

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
My extra line is up for renewal. It is currently an Optimus, because I wanted to save $10 a month. If I buy an iPhone with the upgrade credit to sell, will the $10 charge be added, or will it only be added if I activate the phone on the line?

Ender.uNF posted:

Smaller update this time, possibly due to the hurricane/storms and outages.

PR/VI (40), Atlanta/Athens (39), LA Metro (36), Chicago (31), DFW (26), SF Bay (24), Boston (19), Houston (16), Baltimore (11), Shentel (11), Miami/West Palm (8), Kansas (7), San Antonio (7), Austin (6), Indianapolis (6), Ft. Wayne/South Bend (5), Washington DC (5), Memphis (4), New York City (4), Delaware (2), Charlotte (2), Raleigh/Durham (2), Riverside/San Bernardino (2), South Bay (2), Jacksonville (1), Nashville (1), North LA (1), San Diego (1)

Are there any sort of coverage maps for LTE?

Triikan fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 13, 2012

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

There are up-to-date tower maps in the paid section of s4gru.com. And the official coverage.sprint.com maps show projected LTE coverage when the Network Vision rollout is complete at the end of 2013.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

blue.eyed.ash posted:

I've been trying to opt out of this for a while and the website keeps conveniently crashing every single time I do. Website is fine for anything else, like paying your bills or shopping for items.

Yeah, I can't opt out of it either, when I click on the setting it just refreshes the page. Good job Sprint!

Tykoe Corp
Apr 26, 2005

Triikan posted:

Are there any sort of coverage maps for LTE?

I use http://sensorly.com

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B

bigpolar posted:

Has anyone here upgraded from an EVO 3D to the note 2? I'm considering getting it, but I'm worried about the 3g radio.

I usually constantly stream Internet radio on my phone while I'm working, but I only get 3-4 bars in my office. I don't want to shell out for the note 2 and lose my distraction source.

I was going to go for an iPhone out of frustration for the hardware issues with android phones, but the size of the note 2 is very attractive to me. I used to be jealous of the Dell streak 5 on at&t, so I'm happy to see this size device on sprint finally.

I just upgraded from the Echo to the Note 2. At my job using the Echo for Pandora was pretty much useless because 3g would keep dropping out/be super slow, also the battery would drain in about 5 hours. On the Note 2 I can listen to Pandora all day, no buffering, and I still have a ton of battery life left.

Also my Note 2 just received the OTA software update which added the muti-window feature. Pretty nifty, even though I probably won't use it on a daily basis.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Are there any plans for a sprint-branded HTC DNA? I hate the phone options right now for sprint. Seriously. lovely screen with great community, or lovely community support with a great screen and build, or way too old. :argh:

...and so I continue to wallow in my gingerbread OG EVO hell. :cry:

N4...why have thou forsaken me...

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
Can anyone using a Note 2 in an LTE coverage area tell me how their battery life has been? Desperately waiting for this phone on Verizon...wanting to get the best idea possible on what to expect...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

cuedotnet posted:

Can anyone using a Note 2 in an LTE coverage area tell me how their battery life has been? Desperately waiting for this phone on Verizon...wanting to get the best idea possible on what to expect...

Not sure how much you can compare LTE performance between VZ and Sprint, but if its anything like the S3 battery life should be at least all day, if not day and a half.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

Duckman2008 posted:

Not sure how much you can compare LTE performance between VZ and Sprint, but if its anything like the S3 battery life should be at least all day, if not day and a half.

I asked the same question in the ATT boards, however sprint also uses CDMA..

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Have any of you goons in the Wash DC metro area experienced weird service interruptions? Maybe 30% of my incoming phone calls dont get to my phone and 30% outgoing are met with a "busy signal tone."

I am trying to determine whether it is a problem with my old rear end EVO4G (running CM7.1) or a network issue.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

For the 3 people that might care Sprint confirmed they will carry Windows Phone 8 in 2013 http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/13/3639942/sprint-windows-phone-8-2013

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

cuedotnet posted:

Pretty good. I can go two days without charging, easy. I do have it on wireless at home, but 9-10 hours is away at work and such on LTE the whole time. With light use I usually make it to the 64 hour mark, and heavier use will put it around a day. For instance I got it to 27 hours with a total of 4 and a half of the screen on with auto brightness playing a few games and browsing the forums. Granted some might consider that light use.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

ZeroAX posted:

For the 3 people that might care Sprint confirmed they will carry Windows Phone 8 in 2013 http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/13/3639942/sprint-windows-phone-8-2013
Nice!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ZeroAX posted:

Finally. I hope they also release software updates for the Arrive! (doubt it)

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Has anyone had trouble logging in to sprint.com this week? I tried a few days ago, it initally rejects my password, I type it again and it takes me to a page with only the text "We are experiencing processing problems. Please try again later." The URL I'm at at with the error is https://mysprint.sprint.com/adapters-siteminder-aa/LoginWithDevicePrint.do.

Note that this started happening after I did a password reset (I hadn't logged in for months before). I did another password reset this morning, the same thing happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

falz posted:

Has anyone had trouble logging in to sprint.com this week? I tried a few days ago, it initally rejects my password, I type it again and it takes me to a page with only the text "We are experiencing processing problems. Please try again later." The URL I'm at at with the error is https://mysprint.sprint.com/adapters-siteminder-aa/LoginWithDevicePrint.do.

Note that this started happening after I did a password reset (I hadn't logged in for months before). I did another password reset this morning, the same thing happens.

Nope, I can log in, and did so a day or two ago as well.