Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Illusion magic is useless?

Maybe if you're a scrub. :smug:

Would've been more amusing if it made Kirito look exactly like Gleam-eyes rather than a giant goat demon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Argas posted:

Illusion magic is useless?

Maybe if you're a scrub. :smug:

Would've been more amusing if it made Kirito look exactly like Gleam-eyes rather than a giant goat demon.

All things being equal, it basically WAS Gleameyes, with slightly different sfx.

Admitted, my own mental image for it had always been Carrot's beast form from Sorcerer Hunters...

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 10, 2012

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
I think my favorite part of the episode was the bit with Yui standing on Leafa's shoulder cheering on Kirito just before his transformation.

Someone should do a gif of it.

Also seconding that Illusion magic is clearly not useless.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Kirito looks like Evangelion when he shouts. Is there a subplot where we find out he is actually a space angel?

Illusion magic should be very useful in a group pvp based game. Think of eve's ewar.

Karate Fairy's kung fu is weak, and also doesn't loop well.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Okay, I am confused about illusion magic.

I figured the goat demon was an illusion which matched with Kirito's sword skills made the Salamadanders freak out. But after the fight Kirito says he felt like he was the demon and didn't even have a sword and instead was eating people and stuff.

So is there more to the magic than just the illusion itself?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Kyoujin posted:

So is there more to the magic than just the illusion itself?
The magic lets you turn into an animal, but what you turn into kinda depends on your combat skills. Fortunately for Kirito, he's poopsocked for the past 2 years, so he gets to be a demon instead of some common low-level mob.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Nalin posted:

The magic lets you turn into an animal, but what you turn into kinda depends on your combat skills. Fortunately for Kirito, he's poopsocked for the past 2 years, so he gets to be a demon instead of some common low-level mob.

What, racial abilities that scale? :haw:

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Thanks, that makes a lot more sense.

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It took me a bit of mental wrangling to understand why Yui would recommend that spell specifically instead of like, a fake corpse spell or something. I mean it didn't really increase his damage potential, just his reach, otherwise it was mainly useful because it scared the poo poo out of the dudes. Which a computer wouldn't understand surely oh wait she's a counselling AI she does not experience fear, but she understands how it affects us.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Gearhead posted:

What, racial abilities that scale? :haw:

What!? In MY Rpg's!? Give me back useful faery fire then! :colbert: For those not in the know, Drow in 3.5e D&D have some Spell like abilities that do nothing but arbitrarily raise their level adjustment; faery fire just makes some harmless dancing flames on the target, it would've been better if it was like fear.

This episode really drives home the EVE comparisons this shows likes to dance with, especially with all that guild drama war chat and territory sovereignty that factions actually have a stake in fighting over. In fact its a little clever, have a big central quest that only you as a faction as a whole can do and then have it so you have to be winning in order to afford to pursue it.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I actually kind of like the interplay between Kirito and his sister. There doesn't seem to be any blatant attempts at romance there, and the back and forth tends to be funny. This episode even manages to go without any horribly forced and gratuitous shower scene, so I quite enjoyed it.

Is it starting to feel like this season is alternating good and bad episodes to anyone else?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Bremen posted:

I actually kind of like the interplay between Kirito and his sister. There doesn't seem to be any blatant attempts at romance there, and the back and forth tends to be funny. This episode even manages to go without any horribly forced and gratuitous shower scene, so I quite enjoyed it.

Is it starting to feel like this season is alternating good and bad episodes to anyone else?

I kind of feel the same way, yeah. I guess that means next week will be a bad episode?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I actually got a laugh out of Krito actually gamin' it up for once with that one survivor from the Salamander attack force. Just the way the whole scene plays out from Krito basically saying GG to the guy and trading for information was pretty funny.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Good episode. I particularly liked the part where Kirito managed to startle the members of the shield wall with his berserker yell. They never got to make fun of Kirito's hilariously over the top combat freak-outs in SWO since he was literally fighting for his life. It's funny as hell though now that he's not, and putting in 180% effort compared to everyone else.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

GO! GO! KI-RI-TO!

Edit:

Nalin posted:

So, episode 19 is out, and it was pretty good. Also, it looks like the first DVD/BD volume is out and it contains something called "Sword Art Offline", which was a pretty amusing 10 minute "news" segment thing. It also has Klein being awesome in it, which is great! They are going to add one of these skits to each DVD/BD release, so I'm looking forward to the next one.

Just watched this. I am very disappointed, it did not solve the mysterious fate of Klein's pizza!

nielsm fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Nov 11, 2012

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

nielsm posted:

Just watched this. I am very disappointed, it did not solve the mysterious fate of Klein's pizza!

Delivery boy probably ate it.

Anyways I really liked the bit where Kirito and Klein were discussing how scary Asuna used to be.
I especially liked the comment that Kirito had that he thought that Asuna was gonna stab him during the first floor boss meeting.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Myurton posted:

I think my favorite part of the episode was the bit with Yui standing on Leafa's shoulder cheering on Kirito just before his transformation.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Yui continues to be this arcs best character.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yep. It's basically "What would it be like if Navi wasn't annoying?"

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I want a 1:1 scale figure of Yui like this.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

nielsm posted:

I want a 1:1 scale figure of Yui like this.
Kotobukia would be remiss not to.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

"The player and the in-game character are one and the same"

People like Kirito are why I have stopped RPing in WoW, way to take the game so seriously.

Dan7el posted:

Light Novel Spoiler:

Oberon put the keypad inside the cell because:
Here is the actual text from baka-tsuki (Volume 3, Chapter 3):

Asuna continued to put on a sad face. Through the mirror, she could see that Oberon had reached the door and had turned around to glance at her, to confirm Asuna's situation.

The door had a small metal plate with twelve buttons arranged side by side. Just entering the numbers in the correct order would open the door.

It was a wonder how he could still do this kind of troublesome thing instead of just using his administrator's privileges to directly open the door. Apparently, Oberon has his own sense of aesthetics, he doesn't want to bring system related things here. He just wanted to be a fairy king, with an imprisoned fairy queen to abuse.

It was a stupid performance.

Oberon raised his hand, operating in front of the metal plate. From where he was standing, Asuna could not clearly see the details of his action due to system distance effect, so that when he does press a button, she will not know which. Oberon must have also taken this into account, that a cell with such a lock is safe.

This is true, for a direct view of Oberon.

Oberon used Nerve Gear to connect to the virtual world, but his time in the virtual world is limited. Therefore, there are a lot of things that he does not understand. For example, in the virtual world, mirrors do not comply with optics

This is also one of those items that should be on the list of things an evil overlord should avoid.

Did you copy/paste sentences from different paragraphs, or do the novels seriously read like that?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rexides posted:

People like Kirito are why I have stopped RPing in WoW, way to take the game so seriously.

Well he did just spend 2 years of his life playing a game where player and in-game character might has well be the same. :rolleyes:

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Rexides posted:

Did you copy/paste sentences from different paragraphs, or do the novels seriously read like that?

The translation of the early parts of the novels is really, really rough.

Xoidanor posted:

Well he did just spend 2 years of his life playing a game where player and in-game character might has well be the same. :rolleyes:

This is something which will come up again later, but it's also been said that you can tell a lot about what a person is REALLY like from the games they play and HOW they play them. Well. What does it tell you about a person in a full immersion VR game who turns into a complete shitheel?

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

quote:

Especially since in large-scale PVP, activity is conflict-driven.
No ""Evil", no conflict, no game.

The author may have finally given Kirito a flaw, even if he didn't intend it!

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Aureon posted:

The author may have finally given Kirito a flaw, even if he didn't intend it!

I really try not to look at characters as if they were a collection of merits and flaws. It's simply the way he is. Some non-zero part of his identity exists as a person online, it's how he perceives himself and how he models the other people around him.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"

Gearhead posted:

I really try not to look at characters as if they were a collection of merits and flaws.

It's hard to in this show, I'll give you that. One of the categories is entirely missing, and all.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Rexides posted:

I never quite got why people roleplayed in MMO's anyway, the amount of roleplay you can satisfactory get done is a fraction of what is possible in a more personal space multiplayer game, like NWN, but then again the mount of games that are like that are frightfully small.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I only roleplay in MMOs as the bare minimum of having a character name that matches the background and in my internal storyline of the character, but I don't act out with other players in any kind of RP dialogue. I just found it awkward. That's probably not strictly roleplaying by any definition, but in my head it feels like it.

Although if I had something like the NerveGear system, I may get into the role-playing more.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

I never quite got why people roleplayed in MMO's anyway, the amount of roleplay you can satisfactory get done is a fraction of what is possible in a more personal space multiplayer game, like NWN, but then again the mount of games that are like that are frightfully small.

Different tastes, I guess. The huge playerbase is both a bane and a blessing, but in the end it's too much drama to be worth it. Not having much control with who you RP with meant that you sometimes had to deal with people like Kirito who would assume that players are as bad (or good) as the characters they portray because they want to literally live through their in-game personas.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Rexides posted:

Different tastes, I guess. The huge playerbase is both a bane and a blessing, but in the end it's too much drama to be worth it. Not having much control with who you RP with meant that you sometimes had to deal with people like Kirito who would assume that players are as bad (or good) as the characters they portray because they want to literally live through their in-game personas.

I can see your point there.

Though I think a smaller community of maybe a hundred players would be able to function better together than one with roughly thousands of people.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

They function in different ways. I can't possibly imagine walking around a city in a small server and finding people RPing on every corner, or having organizations with more than 5-10 people. I used to be the guild leader of a military-themed guild, and we could pull at least 20 people for events, that would be literally 20% of the server you describe.

And just so that we don't derail this completely, I'd like to think how people who play the kind of immersive games like ALO or SAO view role-playing. Right now role-playing is something that you actively choose to do, because there is a lot of disconnect between yourself and your character (in most games you even see your character from a third person view). But in this anime, you can see and feel whatever your character does, you literally become your character, so you have no choice but to RP to a certain extend, and maybe take some things too seriously.

On the other hand, being an actor means stepping into your role fully, but actors don't end up carrying on the grudges between characters once the play is over, so I don't know why that should happen in a virtual theatre. There are also a lot of things that scream "THIS IS A GAME!", like how you manage your inventory or even the quantification of character skill.

Next episode will probably be the litmus test on how serious the players take their elfgame.

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011

Gearhead posted:

This is something which will come up again later, but it's also been said that you can tell a lot about what a person is REALLY like from the games they play and HOW they play them. Well. What does it tell you about a person in a full immersion VR game who turns into a complete shitheel?

It tells me that this person is probably a goon.

But seriously, SAO and a 'regular' MMO are different. The belief that people show their true colors when in a life and death situation applied then, even if SAO was still considered a game. But who cares when we're playing Alfheim?

Maybe someone could be a dick because they're immature, or maybe they're blowing off steam by being a douchebag because their job sucks. Bottom line: At worst I'd try and grief the poo poo out of someone who was ~serious rp'ing~ because they're obnoxious and this game has no repercussions from dying and at best I'd avoid this person altogether.

I have to admit though, Kirito's battle scream deserves some mad props. :black101:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Berserk Kirito is cool but that whole fight didn't really make any sense. Why didn't Kirito just run past the shield guys with his super speed or toss them out of the way with his super strength to get at the squishy mages? Why did an illusion spell have so many effects that obviously weren't illusory?

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sindai posted:

Berserk Kirito is cool but that whole fight didn't really make any sense. Why didn't Kirito just run past the shield guys with his super speed or toss them out of the way with his super strength to get at the squishy mages? Why did an illusion spell have so many effects that obviously weren't illusory?

It really wasn't an illusion spell, someone explained that before.

He also wasn't in complete control of himself, it seems.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Storgar posted:

It tells me that this person is probably a goon.

Well, yes, and to Kirito.. who has had to deal with murderous bastards who actually killed someone, it triggers his 'This guy might try to poison me and stab me in the junk.' warning.

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011

Gearhead posted:

Well, yes, and to Kirito.. who has had to deal with murderous bastards who actually killed someone, it triggers his 'This guy might try to poison me and stab me in the junk.' warning.

You are correct. But I still don't think that these qualities are anything to revere Kirito for, at least not anymore. What made the previous arc interesting was that people needed to reconcile the fact that the game was intended for fun and then became deadly. People had to adjust to that. If he is still playing the game to survive, then Kirito is not adjusting like he should. What is important now is not that everyone survives (in the game), but that he gathers a group together and comes up with a strategy to beat Dio and save Asuna without any IRL backlash.

Whether or not someone is ~*JUSTICEFUL*~ because of their game actions is no longer relevant and I think reading into someone's character based on their in game actions falls back to being bs. I feel like they've been slowly pushing towards the idea that brute strength isn't enough in this situation and that they need some tactics/strategy.

Then again, this is SAO. I'm sure the novels have Kirito just bust in and hack everyone to pieces. Or overcome some insurmountable obstacle by trying really, really hard.

The fight sequence was pretty close to the novels, but some stuff doesn't make much sense on such a wide bridge. Like that part where he tries to pry the shields apart instead of just running around them.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Storgar posted:

If he is still playing the game to survive, then Kirito is not adjusting like he should.

And thus, you get a glimpse into what this series is actually all about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

post posted:

The fight sequence was pretty close to the novels, but some stuff doesn't make much sense on such a wide bridge. Like that part where he tries to pry the shields apart instead of just running around them.

I'm pretty sure he would have been able to jump over them as well. If flying isn't disabled in those caves (for whatever reason) a flight-assisted jump might also have been possible.

• Locked thread