Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Are you buying a second NIC for LACP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

So I'm not very knowledgeable about RAID and was wondering what you guys thought of FlexRAID's RAID-F thing.

I used the trial for storage pooling and it worked very well, but it expired and I'm wondering if I should go for just the pooling license or the pooling + RAID license.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
So with the price of 2TB Reds coming down to a very reasonable level recently, I've been seriously considering expanding my setup. In that I've currently got a N40L with 4 drives, does anyone have any specific recommendations for adding an external enclosure for another 4 drives? Or would I be better off selling the N40L and just upgrading to an actual system that could handle 8 drives natively (well, probably with a SATA PCIe expansion card)?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

DrDork posted:

(well, probably with a SATA PCIe expansion card)?

Isn't that your only option with the N40L too? A single ESATA port won't really be satisfying with 4 external drives.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yeah, I know. The question is if selling the N40L (figure I'd get ~$200) would be worth it to turn around and rebuild an entire system, or if I should just pick up something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111168 and try to find a 4x SATA card that doesn't suck.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Ninja Rope posted:

Isn't that your only option with the N40L too? A single ESATA port won't really be satisfying with 4 external drives.

Even for purely sequential transfers 4 hard drives aren't really going to saturate the bandwidth on a SATA III channel.

Still, it'll probably be cheaper to build an athlon x2 system (cpu+mobo+ram might be doable for less than 150, another 40 for a 300W antec/seasonic, then you get to pick your case and whatever 4-8x pcie SAS/SATA expander card you want, total is probably in the $400 range).

Mr Crucial
Oct 28, 2005
What's new pussycat?

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I used the trial for storage pooling and it worked very well, but it expired and I'm wondering if I should go for just the pooling license or the pooling + RAID license.

If you're desperate to save the money, get the RAID-F license over the pooling. You can always use a poor man's version of pooling and mount drives as folders, the RAID is the most important part of it. I've been using RAID + pooling since it was in beta and once you get used to the idiosyncrasies of the interface it's a decent piece of software. Set a decent schedule for the parity updating and it works well as a set-and-forget, though I can't vouch for its performance during a failure because I haven't lost a drive yet.

Or alternatively, look at SnapRAID (free) or even the parity storage pools in Windows 8 if you're eligible for one of the cheap deals at the moment.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Mr Crucial posted:

If you're desperate to save the money, get the RAID-F license over the pooling. You can always use a poor man's version of pooling and mount drives as folders, the RAID is the most important part of it. I've been using RAID + pooling since it was in beta and once you get used to the idiosyncrasies of the interface it's a decent piece of software. Set a decent schedule for the parity updating and it works well as a set-and-forget, though I can't vouch for its performance during a failure because I haven't lost a drive yet.

Or alternatively, look at SnapRAID (free) or even the parity storage pools in Windows 8 if you're eligible for one of the cheap deals at the moment.

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and got the combined license.

How long did it take before you received your key? I placed the order a few hours ago and haven't gotten anything from PayPal or the dev yet.

Mr Crucial
Oct 28, 2005
What's new pussycat?

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and got the combined license.

How long did it take before you received your key? I placed the order a few hours ago and haven't gotten anything from PayPal or the dev yet.
It might take a day or two. It's just one bloke running everything by himself, he'll process your order the next time he checks his inbox.

One thing to bear in mind, when you get your license there will be some instructions about setting up an account to manage your license keys and activations - make sure you do it. I skipped it and as a result had to get in touch with support when I wanted to migrate my license from one machine to another, otherwise I could have done it myself.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
I have a problem using FreeNAS.

I have a folder that has a lot of large files in it. Multiple hundreds of gigs. When I navigate to this folder, it takes about 5 seconds for the folder to populate in Windows explorer (using cifs) before I can click anything and the green loading bar or whatever it is goes across my windows explorer window as if it's loading something. Now, I have a second identical box that I use just to replicate and when I navigate to the same folder on that machine, it's instant. I have both FreeNAS machines setup identically. What could be the issue?

Here is the green bar loading the folder taking about 5 seconds to populate:

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 12, 2012

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

IT Guy posted:

I have a folder that has a lot of large files in it. Multiple hundreds of gigs. When I navigate to this folder, it takes about 5 seconds for the folder to populate in Windows explorer (using cifs) before I can click anything and the green loading bar or whatever it is goes across my windows explorer window as if it's loading something.

If you copy a file are you getting decent speeds?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

IT Guy posted:

I have a folder that has a lot of large files in it. Multiple hundreds of gigs. When I navigate to this folder, it takes about 5 seconds for the folder to populate in Windows explorer (using cifs) before I can click anything and the green loading bar or whatever it is goes across my windows explorer window as if it's loading something. Now, I have a second identical box that I use just to replicate and when I navigate to the same folder on that machine, it's instant. I have both FreeNAS machines setup identically. What could be the issue?
I have a similar situation. But here that large folder loads almost instantly over cifs/smb and if I copy the same folder to my windows box it takes several seconds to load.
I assume it is because windows tries to create thumbnails of my files if it is accessing a local folder, which wastes all that time.
If on of your machines got confused and started treating your cifs share like a local drive in this matter, this would explain the slowdown.

If you find out how to fix that problem, how to turn thumbnails off, tell me please.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Gism0 posted:

If you copy a file are you getting decent speeds?

~50MB/s read, 30MB/s write

Much slower than it should be. The drives are 4x 7k3000's in RAIDz1

tonberrytoby posted:

I have a similar situation. But here that large folder loads almost instantly over cifs/smb and if I copy the same folder to my windows box it takes several seconds to load.
I assume it is because windows tries to create thumbnails of my files if it is accessing a local folder, which wastes all that time.
If on of your machines got confused and started treating your cifs share like a local drive in this matter, this would explain the slowdown.

If you find out how to fix that problem, how to turn thumbnails off, tell me please.

I don't have any other machines other than Windows but if it comes down to it, I'll setup a Ubuntu machine and test it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

IT Guy posted:

Here is the green bar loading the folder taking about 5 seconds to populate:

Might be some kind of shell extension, though I realize midway through writing this post that you have this data replicated entirely on another box. Do you have some kind of thumbnail views turned on for video files?

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

IT Guy posted:

~50MB/s read, 30MB/s write

Much slower than it should be. The drives are 4x 7k3000's in RAIDz1

I don't have any other machines other than Windows but if it comes down to it, I'll setup a Ubuntu machine and test it.

Hm yeah, though that's certainly fast enough to list a directory. I did find this thread which mentions some settings you can play with but idk http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?5338-Browsing-directories-slow/

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

movax posted:

Might be some kind of shell extension, though I realize midway through writing this post that you have this data replicated entirely on another box. Do you have some kind of thumbnail views turned on for video files?

I guess I could bring my work laptop home and test it with that. It should rule out my computer altogether. I do not have any icon caching going on, I don't think. I am using details view so thumbnails shouldn't be caching. The folder is set for general items too.

I'm rebooting the machines to see if that fixes it, I'm also going to upgrade from 8.04 to 8.3. I'll post back when that's done with the results.

Edit: reboots did not work.

Edit2: I can't get the GUI upgrade to work, it sits at "please wait" and nothing happens in the messages. I guess I'll have to put this off until I get un-lazy enough to do the CD upgrade.

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 12, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ZFS Evil Tuning Guide posted:

Tuning is often evil and should rarely be done.
First, consider that the default values are set by the people who know the most about the effects of the tuning on the software that they supply. If a better value exists, it should be the default. While alternative values might help a given workload, it could quite possibly degrade some other aspects of performance. Occasionally, catastrophically so.

More often than not, lousy performance is due to misconfiguration.
If you suspect you have one, don't be afraid to save your config and completely wipe your FreeNAS installation (ie. leave the pool alone/dismount it before making any changes, then just reinstall FreeNAS from scratch). It's an appliance system, it's kinda meant to be run that way.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 12, 2012

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Update on my issue. I think it may have been my SMART extended tests that were scheduled to run. How long do these take, 4 hours? However, these would stop on a reboot, right? Anyway, I'm not sure exactly what was the issue yet but my folder now lists the contents instantly. I am also back to 112MB/s read and 100MB/s write. :iiam:

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Newegg has the HP N40L for $256 on sale. You know, three days after I ordered it for $320.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Ninja Rope posted:

Newegg has the HP N40L for $256 on sale. You know, three days after I ordered it for $320.

If you've bought stuff from Newegg in the past, never hurts to hit up their live chat support or give 'em a call. They are usually willing to match the price for you or at least give you a credit towards your next order.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I'll try that, thanks.

The promo code is EMCJJJG98, that should save anyone else digging through their inbox looking for the email.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Ninja Rope posted:

I'll try that, thanks.

The promo code is EMCJJJG98, that should save anyone else digging through their inbox looking for the email.

I only get $30 off for this.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

ShaneB posted:

I only get $30 off for this.

That's the savings pre promo code. You have to register before you can apply the code.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
$272 shipped, thanks for posting! Been waiting for another N40L deal for a while.

NeonLights
Sep 9, 2005
So I'm literally down to a couple of hundred megabytes free on my array of internal and external drives, and having done what feels like a million hours of research I have to just suck it up and pull the trigger on something. My options are either buying something from synology (the 1812 is around $1,000), or building something myself. Having read up on raid z, I'd probably opt for raid z2 with 1 hot spare, with this setup:

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112316
Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131832
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115094
Heatsink: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118003
Memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145357
Power Supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151097
Network: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106036
Controller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-ServeRa...121015265820%26
Hard Drives: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236343 x8

My main concern with any setup is noise, which I am really anal about, so I've tried to minimize it as much as possible. Also I am somewhat concerned about heat. I don't have central air in my apartment and can't really afford to leave my AC on 24/7, so having something that doesn't turn my house into an inferno would be helpful as well. Primarily I just want something that's not noisy and will serve my stuff over my home network. As far as I can tell everything in here is supported by freenas (not 100% sure about the intel on board video). Also I was reading in the freenas FAQ about getting real time alerts about degraded drives or inoperable drives, so would this IBM card do the trick or am I looking at something far more expensive?

Please let me know if I've made any mistakes, or if there is a better option that I haven't seen, and also just let me know which option is best. Thanks!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I'm running a freenas box with a standard desktop i3 and gigabyte motherboard. Most of the time the cpu fan is off and the heat output is next to nothing. Most of the time the load is minimal as it's for write simulation outputs. The volume of traffic would be the same as one or two people watching media continuously.

That box sits under my desk at work and I don't notice the heat output even during summer.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Honestly, the 35w CPU probably isn't worth the extra money and reduced performance.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i5-2500t-2390t-i3-2100t-pentium-g620t_8.html#sect0

The actual difference between the 35w and 65w CPUs is less than 1 watt at idle and maybe 5 watts under a normal load.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 14, 2012

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

NeonLights posted:

My main concern with any setup is noise, which I am really anal about, so I've tried to minimize it as much as possible. Also I am somewhat concerned about heat.

Also I was reading in the freenas FAQ about getting real time alerts about degraded drives or inoperable drives, so would this IBM card do the trick or am I looking at something far more expensive?

I just put together a rig with the same case and memory. It just finished running memtest for 48 hours and I couldn't even tell the thing was on. Granted I have a couple of other computers running nearby so it's hard to tell. I can't comment on the airflow and heat yet, but I will soon.

Got 5 of my 6 drives already, just waiting on the 6th from amazon..

You actually don't want a "better" raid card as those will interfere where ZFS will want to be a total control slut. Freenas can easily be configured to alert you when there are problems right through the web interface.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

What's the correct RAM for the N40L/a decent deal on it?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Krakkles posted:

For my N40L I went with the Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 1333 ECC: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139262

Pretty sure it was because somebody in this thread suggested it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

NeonLights posted:

So I'm literally down to a couple of hundred megabytes free...Please let me know if I've made any mistakes, or if there is a better option that I haven't seen, and also just let me know which option is best. Thanks!
First, you can get the WD Reds for $10 less at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Red-Hard-Drive/dp/B008JJLZ7G Easy way to save $80.
Second, get an i3-2100 instead. 35W vs 65W won't make a lick of difference outside a laptop, so you might as well get the one that's cheaper AND has more headroom in the off chance you actually need the CPU to go past a 50% load.
Third, if you're really that concerned with noise, pick a case that's intended for noise abatement, like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139012 Or if you want to be awesome, this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133188 (I have this one and it's absolutely HUGE, but uses 200mm fans and ends up being very quiet because of it).

Krakkles posted:

Whatever quality-brand DDR3 RAM is cheapest. I went with some stuff from Corsair: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145315 and it's been quite happy with it. ECC is supported, if you feel the need for that extra layer of protection. You can do up to 2x8GB, even though the manual says 2x4GB max.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Does anyone have any experience/can point me to any resources that relate to using OS X+Lightroom+ an NAS? My girlfriend is getting into her photography and the 128gb ssd in her MB Air is not really up to the task of storing a lot of RAW shots, she's a bit of a packrat with them and hates to delete so I'm trying to come up with a good solution.

She mainly works from home plugged into a 24" monitor so it's not really a problem to have stuff on an NAS, I'd just like for it to be as seamless/easy for her to access to keep the stress down for both of us. We have a 2tb Time Capsule but that's already almost full with backups from my MBP, her MBA and my movies etc. I was thinking a RAID-1(?) NAS setup would be ideal - she's paranoid about having backups which is cool. I don't really know how Lightroom works but I get the feeling from watching her a bit I can nominate an external drive to import to/access data from

I haven't really thought about budget yet - just trying to get a feel for what the solutions might be, I think 2-3tb should be enough for the foreseeable future - if she can't start deleting/sorting after that she needs help!

Anywho, if anyone has experience/ideas that'd be much appreciated

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

slothrop posted:

Does anyone have any experience/can point me to any resources that relate to using OS X+Lightroom+ an NAS? My girlfriend is getting into her photography and the 128gb ssd in her MB Air is not really up to the task of storing a lot of RAW shots, she's a bit of a packrat with them and hates to delete so I'm trying to come up with a good solution.

She mainly works from home plugged into a 24" monitor so it's not really a problem to have stuff on an NAS, I'd just like for it to be as seamless/easy for her to access to keep the stress down for both of us. We have a 2tb Time Capsule but that's already almost full with backups from my MBP, her MBA and my movies etc. I was thinking a RAID-1(?) NAS setup would be ideal - she's paranoid about having backups which is cool. I don't really know how Lightroom works but I get the feeling from watching her a bit I can nominate an external drive to import to/access data from

I haven't really thought about budget yet - just trying to get a feel for what the solutions might be, I think 2-3tb should be enough for the foreseeable future - if she can't start deleting/sorting after that she needs help!

Anywho, if anyone has experience/ideas that'd be much appreciated

If you want it to be nice and easy, look at the QNAP or Synology device that suits you. And pick up some of the WD Red drives.

EDIT: Remember, RAID is not backups. You'll probably want to invest in some kind of offsite cloud storage to be your second layer of backup.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Just a quick compatibility check: 6x of these will work in an N40L with FreeNAS, correct?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236344

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Yes, it accepts 3TB disks just fine. Incidentally, here is a list of known-good drives.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

IT Guy posted:

Just a quick compatibility check: 6x of these will work in an N40L with FreeNAS, correct?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236344
As long as you do the BIOS flash, yeah.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
ok, some mdadm questions.

I have a 5 drive dual parity (raid 6) array with 3 TB drives using the whole disks (no partitions).
2 failed.
I have replacements.

I can force it to start in degraded mode, BUT I'm having issues adding the new drives.

From the GUI disk manager, if I just hit edit components->add spare it complains the volume is too big for dos partition tables (2TB limit).
If I set it to GPT and then do it, it creates/add /dev/sdb1 which it then says isn't aligned properly.

help
its currently thinking about "--add /dev/md0 /dev/sdb" command for the whole disk, see what that does.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So I know Drobo sucks, but I've been saddled with one at work because everything is terrible and nothing is beautiful.

So we've got a NAS model and the management software (I think) just scans the local subnet to find it, but I'm going to have one on another network in another building for backups (holy moly this is awful) so I'm wondering if there's a way to manage it remotely, or if I have to put a computer on the same subnet to manage it?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

FISHMANPET posted:

So I know Drobo sucks, but I've been saddled with one at work because everything is terrible and nothing is beautiful.

So we've got a NAS model and the management software (I think) just scans the local subnet to find it, but I'm going to have one on another network in another building for backups (holy moly this is awful) so I'm wondering if there's a way to manage it remotely, or if I have to put a computer on the same subnet to manage it?

If it has two nics setup one on the storage subnet and one on the management subnet. If not set up a static route into your storage network and acl it off to only management ips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

When I had a Drobo at work I just plugged it into a computer and setup shares from windows (like a file server). It worked decent enough and was a easy way to tie in active directory.