Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Spedman posted:

Are you guys trying to play Moby Dick on the drums in your changing bags or something? I've never had problems with size (lots with sweat), even loading up 4x5, I think mine is only a medium one.

No, but when I chuck my (regular sized) tank in there, a pair of scissors, trying to wrangle the reel out of the tank then getting my film onto the reel, then back into the tank, all without scratching the film is an adventure. Especially if I've been at it for a minute or two and it starts getting sweaty. I feel like I have maybe an inch of room to work in.

I mean it's no big deal or anything. I haven't managed to gently caress up yet, but I would love a bigger bag. It's a testament to how not a big deal it is that I haven't spent the $20 to buy a bigger one yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ugggggh

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Martytoof posted:

No, but when I chuck my (regular sized) tank in there, a pair of scissors, trying to wrangle the reel out of the tank then getting my film onto the reel, then back into the tank, all without scratching the film is an adventure. Especially if I've been at it for a minute or two and it starts getting sweaty. I feel like I have maybe an inch of room to work in.

I mean it's no big deal or anything. I haven't managed to gently caress up yet, but I would love a bigger bag. It's a testament to how not a big deal it is that I haven't spent the $20 to buy a bigger one yet.

Are you using a blacked out ziplock sandwich bag? I can easily use my 4 reel SS tank inside my changing bag.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

eggsovereasy posted:

Are you using a blacked out ziplock sandwich bag? I can easily use my 4 reel SS tank inside my changing bag.

Maybe you just to try a bigger one, I think mine was like $25.

Yeah totally. It feels really really small. I might be exaggerating a smidge, but not much -- believe me.

I would get a different bag for $20, except it's like $20 to ship anywhere off eBay, so $40 is just a little above my "impulse buy" category.

Even if it is only like a nickel in photography bucks.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Martytoof posted:

Yeah totally. It feels really really small. I might be exaggerating a smidge, but not much -- believe me.

I would get a different bag for $20, except it's like $20 to ship anywhere off eBay, so $40 is just a little above my "impulse buy" category.

Even if it is only like a nickel in photography bucks.

Shoulda thrown one in with your last freestyle order. The one I got from there was pretty cheap and works great for loading stuff onto a reel.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Got blasted in the loving ears by bagpipes at a wedding. I was just burning through a roll of film for fun, wasn't the paid photographer so I was ducking behind the piano to not get in any shots and POW BAGPIPES. I heard sounds that I did not even know existed. Just felt like sharing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bagpipes own. Pictures of bagpipers own. Great shot. I'd maybe crop out beard on the left there, and the top of the photo a little to retain the aspect ratio. Beardo just looks kind of out of place I guess.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Reichstag posted:

Are you absolutely, positively sure about that?
no windows, light sealed door.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Martytoof posted:

Bagpipes own. Pictures of bagpipers own. Great shot. I'd maybe crop out beard on the left there, and the top of the photo a little to retain the aspect ratio. Beardo just looks kind of out of place I guess.

As a Canadian, I love hearing bagpipes. Well, at Remembrance Day ceremonies anyway.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

HPL posted:

As a Canadian, I love hearing bagpipes. Well, at Remembrance Day ceremonies anyway.

As a former Scottish resident, hearing bagpipes wears pretty thin after a while, especially in enclosed urban spaces

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

At first I thought bald santa was wearing a camo shirt. Now I just think it looks like a public bathroom floor.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Some shots from my new to me Bessa R with the Jupiter 8-1 lens, they're a little soft, I think its a mixture of the lens and the film and small format, very glad to have my GW690ii back with some Acros in it.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Spedman posted:

Some shots from my new to me Bessa R with the Jupiter 8-1 lens, they're a little soft, I think its a mixture of the lens and the film and small format, very glad to have my GW690ii back with some Acros in it.

Be advised that Bessa Rs (possibly later Bessas too) are prone to rangefinder calibration issues.
Sometimes that "softness" can simply be an out-of-focus image.
I already had to calibrate mine twice and although it's an easy process, it's a bit of a chore.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Hell yeah my Canonet GLIII QL17 came in and it's a badass little camera. Quiet as heck too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

On the other hand, my Stylus Epic came today and is worryingly loud :tinfoil:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

maxmars posted:

Be advised that Bessa Rs (possibly later Bessas too) are prone to rangefinder calibration issues.
Sometimes that "softness" can simply be an out-of-focus image.
I already had to calibrate mine twice and although it's an easy process, it's a bit of a chore.

I did shoot a test roll to check and it was way out, I did adjust it and also compared it to distances on my ME Super to make doubly sure. I might try some Rollei Retro in it with some Rodinal to see it it's just the film driving me mad.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Spedman posted:

I did shoot a test roll to check and it was way out, I did adjust it and also compared it to distances on my ME Super to make doubly sure. I might try some Rollei Retro in it with some Rodinal to see it it's just the film driving me mad.
Soviet lenses usually need calibration to focus properly on non-Soviet cameras since they were built with slightly different flange distances, so your camera may be fine.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

FasterThanLight posted:

Soviet lenses usually need calibration to focus properly on non-Soviet cameras since they were built with slightly different flange distances, so your camera may be fine.

Hmm, I might do some digging and see what I can find on fixing this, thanks for the tip!

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

FasterThanLight posted:

To be honest this didn't happen to me so far, and I have half a dozen FSU lenses of several manufacturers to use with my Bessa R.

I'm sure it's pretty common but I thought I should mention it.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Should I buy a Yashica Electro 35? You have 7 minutes to convince me for/against

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

GWBBQ posted:

Should I buy a Yashica Electro 35? You have 7 minutes to convince me for/against

Con: I don't like how it feels in my hands. Lens is too far to the right. Focus ring is really annoying to find because it has like 3 set bumps that you have to find on an otherwise smooth barrel.

Pro: Awesome lens. Pretty quiet b/c copal shutter.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Your hands aren't my hands so I bought it for $21.01 shipped. Next up: Zeiss Ikon Contaflex

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

buy a pentax me super, tia

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-ME-Super-w-Case-50mm-Lens-Lens-Cover-/190748456262?pt=US_Vintage_Cameras&hash=item2c697e7546

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Fade by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

I'm still not too big a fan of FP4, but it gets better as the format gets bigger.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

atomicthumbs posted:

I'm still not too big a fan of FP4, but it gets better as the format gets bigger.

I like it for portraits.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...
So i just developed some Pan F in Rodinal 1+100, with Kodafix as a fixer and the parts of the film that aren't in the actual frame (except for one frame, which is weird) are all weird and yellow. what could this be?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

whereismyshoe posted:

So i just developed some Pan F in Rodinal 1+100, with Kodafix as a fixer and the parts of the film that aren't in the actual frame (except for one frame, which is weird) are all weird and yellow. what could this be?

Did you use a yellow filter? :radcat:

Seriouspost: What do you mean parts that aren't in the frame? Like even between frames? or just along the edges?

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

8th-samurai posted:

Did you use a yellow filter? :radcat:

Seriouspost: What do you mean parts that aren't in the frame? Like even between frames? or just along the edges?

Itts only between frames and very slightly on one frame. Ill take a picture. I'm guessing I didn't wash well enough or my hypo clear is bad or something, but I tried snipping a piece off the end and refixing / re washing and it persisted. The fixer was brand new and cleared a snip of film in like a minute so I don't think that was it.

e: might as well just edit this in. Do any more experienced nighttime photographers have tips on exposure? I way overexposed a lot of my shots last night, as previously stated was using pan F because that was all i had left, b&w wise.

This had to be pulled from the depths of hell in the scanner, it was a 5 minute exposure at f/11. Probably could have done about half that and been okay. although i did order a bunch of tri-x so i can just push it to oblivion and use normal shutter speeds

whereismyshoe fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 10, 2012

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

whereismyshoe posted:

e: might as well just edit this in. Do any more experienced nighttime photographers have tips on exposure? I way overexposed a lot of my shots last night, as previously stated was using pan F because that was all i had left, b&w wise.

how to be sure when using a high-contrast film like Pan F: stand in the light and incident meter, or meter the lit areas +1 to +3 stops, depending. Also, bracket

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

whereismyshoe posted:

Itts only between frames and very slightly on one frame. Ill take a picture. I'm guessing I didn't wash well enough or my hypo clear is bad or something, but I tried snipping a piece off the end and refixing / re washing and it persisted. The fixer was brand new and cleared a snip of film in like a minute so I don't think that was it.

This had to be pulled from the depths of hell in the scanner, it was a 5 minute exposure at f/11. Probably could have done about half that and been okay. although i did order a bunch of tri-x so i can just push it to oblivion and use normal shutter speeds

How are you metering?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

http://www.thenightskye.com/wp-content/images/film-exposures-at-night.pdf

I've found that to be a pretty good rule of thumb for night photography.

We're now gold!?

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

dukeku posted:

How are you metering?

I wasn't. I just kind of looked at the scene, said "this seems about right" and went for it. Although I decided that night photography is something I really enjoy, so a meter is in the very near future.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Trip report:

Mod 54 reel owns. Needing 1000cc of Diafine and only having 850cc mixed up does not own. I used HC-110 instead.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

whereismyshoe posted:

I wasn't. I just kind of looked at the scene, said "this seems about right" and went for it. Although I decided that night photography is something I really enjoy, so a meter is in the very near future.

Well, there's your problem.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
f/45 and be there (freezing your rear end off at 6 am)

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

dukeku posted:

Well, there's your problem.

Ha, yeah, you live and learn. reciprocity isn't quite the monster i thought it would be. re: meters i should probably just buy a pentax digital spotmeter right?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

whereismyshoe posted:

Ha, yeah, you live and learn. reciprocity isn't quite the monster i thought it would be. re: meters i should probably just buy a pentax digital spotmeter right?

if you really really want a spot meter maybe. I'm really happy with the gossen digisix that I just bought, being reflective instead of spot hasn't been an issue at all, and incident metering is swell.

Tunnelman
Feb 28, 2010

aaag air flow
I mixed some Kodak rapid fix for paper use which requires half the solution and then the rest water to complete a gallon, the film instructions are to use all of the solution and then make up the difference with water. Would I be able to still fix film with the half solution fix? It would just be like twice as long right? It's been forever since I've done this stuff.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Tunnelman posted:

I mixed some Kodak rapid fix for paper use which requires half the solution and then the rest water to complete a gallon, the film instructions are to use all of the solution and then make up the difference with water. Would I be able to still fix film with the half solution fix? It would just be like twice as long right? It's been forever since I've done this stuff.

Sounds right. The safe way to check would be to just put some film in the fixer and see how long it takes to turn clear (I think it's double whatever time that is to fully fix).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I just picked up an AE-1 on Ebay last week and ran a roll of cheap Kodak gold through it. Any idea if my camera is causing these lines to appear on top?