Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Rhyno posted:

It goes back to Batman punching out Guy in the 80's. It resurfaced in Rebirth and pops up once in a while. As Guy says "Lanterns and Batman don't mix."

Batman secretly wonders why he didn't get the ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Avulsion posted:

Batman secretly wonders why he didn't get the ring.

Batman's been a lantern like three times in Johns' run.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Rhyno posted:

It goes back to Batman punching out Guy in the 80's. It resurfaced in Rebirth and pops up once in a while. As Guy says "Lanterns and Batman don't mix."
Johnsian literalism at its unironic finest, because of course Batman's gonna have a problem with the guy who shines a light everywhere he goes.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The fact that DC published this will forever make me giggle.

All Star Batman and Robin, #09 I think. Shame Miller went completely bonkers and never finished the thing, so we could see the Goddamn Batman in all its glory.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Rhyno posted:

Which is really dumb, because Batman's problem wasn't with Green Lanterns. Batman's problem was with Guy, because Guy is an rear end in a top hat.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Saoshyant posted:

"drat YOU AND YOUR LEMONADE!"

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Saoshyant posted:

I've seen that page about a dozen times, but I only just now noticed Robin's yellow ice cream cone. Total dedication to loving with Hal.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Is it just me, or is Superman doing a smug "yeah, I'm a badass" thing with his face in the first panel? Is that a new-52 thing? I'm not a big Superman fan, but when I do like him, it's when "smug" is the farthest thing from his mind.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Which is really dumb, because Batman's problem wasn't with Green Lanterns. Batman's problem was with Guy, because Guy is an rear end in a top hat.

Batman was also being pretty rear end in a top hat-ish at the time. Although that might be hindsight speaking, because Guy's Awesomeness Factor has increased pretty dramatically since ye olden dayes.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I remember at least one comic mentioning that Batman didn't like Green Lanterns because they're not afraid of anything, and at least part of his effectiveness comes from making people afraid of him. There's a reason a Sinestro Corps ring tried to recruit him.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Sefer posted:

I remember at least one comic mentioning that Batman didn't like Green Lanterns because they're not afraid of anything, and at least part of his effectiveness comes from making people afraid of him. There's a reason a Sinestro Corps ring tried to recruit him.

I think Hal tells Bruce to gently caress off during Rebirth and then has an internal monologue about how they never gor along because Batman uses fear as a weapon and greenlanterns overcome fear. This was at the point when they were playing up Batman's paranoia after Identity Crississ.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Yeah, Hal and Batman were as chummy as anyone back in the day. Granted, Batman was written as despising any hero who ever made a mistake more than an actual villain for a while, and the whole Parallax thing happened (hence the scadenfreude of Identity Crisis/OMAC). I also seem to recall that there were a few comics back when that implied that Batman preferred Kyle, who he could pretty much boss around in his early days.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Derek Dominoe posted:

I also seem to recall that there were a few comics back when that implied that Batman preferred Kyle, who he could pretty much boss around in his early days.

I like to think that's because Batman is secretly a huge anime fan, putting on the costume and fighting crime allows him to cosplay, like, every single night.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It's at least got to be a treat to have Kyle using the ring to break the monotony of force field, boxing glove, power blast routine.

The ability to make Batman think to himself "that's kinda neat" makes Kyle the most powerful lantern.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

prefect posted:

Is it just me, or is Superman doing a smug "yeah, I'm a badass" thing with his face in the first panel? Is that a new-52 thing? I'm not a big Superman fan, but when I do like him, it's when "smug" is the farthest thing from his mind.
Steel is doing the exact same eyebrow lift and smirk so either they've all zoned out of the conversation and Wonder Woman is doing something entertainingly distracting that we can't see or he's piggybacking on the "I used to be kind-of Superman once".

Sizone posted:

I like to think that's because Batman is secretly a huge anime fan, putting on the costume and fighting crime allows him to cosplay, like, every single night.
Requisite:

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Sefer posted:

Smells like Johnsian revision to me. Batman never had a problem with Hal that I can think of until he went bonkers, killed a bunch of people and tried to destroy the universe. But a somewhat rational "fool me twice" attitude won't work for Johns; Batman has to not like/trust Hal because he's a dick, because Hal is teh awesomez.

(Can you tell I don't think much of Johns's writing on GL?)

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Ghostlight posted:

Steel is doing the exact same eyebrow lift and smirk so either they've all zoned out of the conversation and Wonder Woman is doing something entertainingly distracting that we can't see or he's piggybacking on the "I used to be kind-of Superman once".

That's Cyborg, not Steel. And yeah, they're all :smug: as hell that this newbie Lantern loving knows he can't take any of them except maybe Batman. It's not often someone that the top tier of DC heroes is after just says "gently caress it, there's absolutely no way I am gonna fight you guys because you'll each tear me a dozen new assholes."

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

(Titans #15)

Panels like this are why I miss the old Teen Titans.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Sizone posted:

Wasn't there a panel where Batman detects the Martian Manhunter's disguise because he used a character name from Sailor Moon?

The subtext, of course, being that Batman prepares for all situations by sitting around and watching anime all day.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

theflyingorc posted:

Wasn't there a panel where Batman detects the Martian Manhunter's disguise because he used a character name from Sailor Moon?

whatsabattle in the last thread posted:

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007
In case anyone was wondering, it's a giveaway because Rei Hino is secretly Sailor Mars.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Igiari posted:

In case anyone was wondering, it's a giveaway because Rei Hino is secretly Sailor Mars.

Thanks. I never got what he was talking about. :tipshat:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I was just thinking how great it would be if that actually was just some Japanese newspaper editor and Bruce Wayne is actually a bit racist.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
I didn't know the Sailor Moon thing, but there's another give away. Hino is a surname and Rei is a feminine forename, and while it's in the correct order when speaking in Japanese, they always switch them around when they're speaking English. It would be like going around pretending to be French and telling people your name is Dubois Phillipe.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Yeah, but Clark is the one giving the introduction, and he is assuredly not a Japanese citizen.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
What? Why would someone flip the names back around again to the Japanese-style order when that person would have introduced themselves in the Western-style order? Unless the conversation is supposed to be in Japanese, it would sound weird to anyone familiar with Japanese names. Literally no one in Japan uses the Japanese-style order when speaking English, it's drilled into them repeatedly in standardized English curriculum in junior high school.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Because Clark Kent is not a native Japanese speaker

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

CapnAndy posted:

Because Clark Kent is not a native Japanese speaker

Why does that matter at all?

"Hello, Clark Kent, my name is Rei Hino"

"Nice to meet you Hino Rei, you see I am switching your name around because that's what you Japanese do, isn't it? Boy I sure do love speaking in English this whole conversation."

<It's a good thing this Clark Kent fellow can't understand Japanese or he'd know I am muttering about how racist he is in Japanese>

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
J'onn is hardly a native Japanese speaker either. And he obviously took the name from some anime he watched anyway.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
I remember Millar - who wrote that scene - mentioning that he'd asked a Japanese speaking friend for a name that translated to "Poet of Mars," which was J'onn's old profession. Apparently his friend played a prank on him.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The other thing is that "post funny panels" is also "post funny panels" in Japanese.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

To get things back on track here is a panel from Wolverine and the X-Men #20 without context.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Cassa posted:

Scarlet Spider is great and you should all maybe check it out because I think you might like it?

Scarlet Spider #1

This man speaks truth.

Scarlet Spider #6

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Today's The Amazing Spider-man strip.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

JediTalentAgent posted:

Then you get Peter going around and using his powers to become the greatest chef in New York City to live up to the lesson she taught him before her death: "With wheat flour comes wheatcake recipes..."

I would loving read this.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Cassa posted:

Scarlet Spider #1

Did he straight up kill that driver?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Today's The Amazing Spider-man strip.

God, I love Newspaper Spider-Man more than any other Spider-Man.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

God, I love Newspaper Spider-Man more than any other Spider-Man.

They need to have Peter excel at this janitor job. Like, after being a shutterbug and lab geek and TA, he finds his life's calling.

"Parker, great work! It's so clean in here I'd swear you even cleaned the ceilings!"

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Avengers Assemble #9

Hulk and Tony try their hand at recruiting fellow Avengers to help them win a bet.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Terror Sweat posted:

Did he straight up kill that driver?

Just really badly injured him. But Houston loves him anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Waterhaul posted:

Avengers Assemble #9

Hulk and Tony try their hand at recruiting fellow Avengers to help them win a bet.

Aaaand I totally love that artist. Who is that?

• Locked thread