Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Sylink posted:

Why does anyone want Condi Rice to run around here? She is a terrible person right up there with Colin Powell with respect to their involvement and inability to stop the bullshit that was the Bush administration.

I wouldn't vote/touch anyone involved in those 8 years with a 8 foot pole.

The discussion is generally who do we think is going to run, not who do you personally want to run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

The discussion is generally who do we think is going to run, not who do you personally want to run.

Condi is still a speculative choice though as most of her friends like Madeline Albright have said over the years that she really isn't a politician, she's a diplomat-foreign policy junky. If she's drafted any more heavily than Christie will be though, she will run, because she tends to view government service as something she'll do if her party needs her. Otherwise I'm sure she's content to move on with her life from the Bush administration.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding
I fully expect the cycle of "WILL CONDI RUN?! (Probably yes!!!)" followed by "Rice Denies any Interest in Running" to continue every single election cycle until approximately 12 years after her death.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

SombreroAgnew posted:

I fully expect the cycle of "WILL CONDI RUN?! (Probably yes!!!)" followed by "Rice Denies any Interest in Running" to continue every single election cycle until approximately 12 years after her death.

Side issue, and it's only come up a couple times regarding Nate Silver, but one effect of this election I wish had come to fruition is that everyone finally realized that beltway punditry is comprised of nothing but the ravings of half-literate paint chip eaters, which we can safely ignore as even less meaningful than astrology and haruspices.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Dang I could easily get behind those 3 things. I wonder how closely Bloomberg is watching the debate in the Republican party. If the Tea Party/Old White Establishment wins the civil war, there would definitely be room in the middle for an independent like him, especially if his buddy Cuomo isn't running.

Bloomberg is a strange creature. I think if he ran in 2016 he would definitely be by far the strongest contender in a general election against a Democrat. Everything I've heard from fellow New Yorkers is he's widely liked for his steadfastness even if people don't agree with his priorities.

A good example would be the infamous Stop and Frisk controversy. He flat out stated that he's priority is to decrease gun deaths, and that any civil liberties being stepped on was a secondary priority to that ("People have a right to live formost"- was his argument). The fact that he didn't go noodly armed at the controversy won him points with minority leaders in the bronx and east new york, even those who were fighting against the policy because civil rights was for them the primary concern.

No one can call him flip-flopping or lacking leadership (in fact, he's too much a leader for a lot people).

However, make absolutely no mistake: He will not get out of the GOP primaries. He's nowhere near what a "real republican" is supposed to be these days. That, and I think he much prefers the direct powers of the mayorial office to the futility of the Presidency. Micromanager is definitely the correct term for him.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Thundercracker posted:

However, make absolutely no mistake: He will not get out of the GOP primaries. He's nowhere near what a "real republican" is supposed to be these days. That, and I think he much prefers the direct powers of the mayorial office to the futility of the Presidency. Micromanager is definitely the correct term for him.

Oh I don't think he'd run in any party's primaries but would instead run as a third party candidate. If the GOP select a Ryan or Santorum-esque candidate, then there would definitely be room in the middle for a third candidate. I just wonder how quickly Bloomberg could build the infrastructure for a presidential run without a party framework

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
In the long run, I think it was a pretty clever move by Christie to embrace Obama. He took a gamble on Mittens not winning and it paid off. Now Christie can set himself up for 2016 as someone who has genuinely not let partisan politics get in the way of taking care of his people and is willing to "work across the aisle". I think, if he could manage to lose some of that weight, that he could also campaign for a "healthier lifestyle" too in the mix - like someone here said, it'd be a good non-threatening talking point. Basically I think Christie is the likely GOP candidate for 2016, he's going to be much more effective than McCain or Romney and has a genuine shot at winning, even though the US economy will probably come back in the next four years and running as a Republican won't be easy. I strongly believe Christie's campaign won't be as dirty as the last two Republican presidential runs.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
On the other hand, I think that Christie's notoriety will fade again once the reality of dealing with the hurricane sets in. Recent celebrity aside, I don't see him as a viable candidate. He's going to run for re-election for New Jersey governor in 2013 (a four year term), which is too early to commit to the 2016 race, and he'll be too busy putting the state back together to do a primary run. Not that he's displayed any interest in the position, nor would he be able to keep up with the demands of a national campaign due to his weight.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 12, 2012

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Rudy couldn't capitalize on a good public image following 9/11. It's not a foregone conclusion that Christie can turn this into anything.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Thundercracker posted:

Bloomberg is a strange creature. I think if he ran in 2016 he would definitely be by far the strongest contender in a general election against a Democrat. Everything I've heard from fellow New Yorkers is he's widely liked for his steadfastness even if people don't agree with his priorities.

Which party are you expecting to nominate Bloomberg to run against the Democrats?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Dusseldorf posted:

Which party are you expecting to nominate Bloomberg to run against the Democrats?

The party of Bloomberg. His net worth is $22 billion. Not all rich people have that much in actual money they can spend at the drop of a hat, but Bloomberg could set aside a cool 1-2 billion if he really wanted to.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Well maybe he could be a third party or he could run as a Democrat in the primaries but he's not getting nominated by the Republicans. He's only a Republican in name now so he didn't have to run in a primary against anyone for the mayoral election. He has horrible politics but he basically fits right in with most national Democratic politicians these days.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Sylink posted:

Why does anyone want Condi Rice to run around here? She is a terrible person right up there with Colin Powell with respect to their involvement and inability to stop the bullshit that was the Bush administration.

I wouldn't vote/touch anyone involved in those 8 years with a 8 foot pole.

The answer to every "Why does everyone here..." question is: go and find me two posts in this thread where someone unequivocally advocated for it. I'll wait.

As for Condi as a candidate, I think the best we can hope for is that someone for the "traditional" wing of the Republican party wins the nomination, rather than one of the radicals or Tea Parties. I was actually really glad that Romney was the nominee this time instead of Santorum or Gingrich because it focused the race on some of the serious policy differences between the two parties rather than becoming a clown show. This meant that Obama advocated for some positions (for example upper class tax hikes) that he would not have had to do against Rick Santorum.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Rudy couldn't capitalize on a good public image following 9/11. It's not a foregone conclusion that Christie can turn this into anything.

Chris Christie doesn't come off as a festering bitter rear end in a top hat though.

I really hate Rudy Giuliani.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Joementum posted:

The answer to every "Why does everyone here..." question is: go and find me two posts in this thread where someone unequivocally advocated for it. I'll wait.

As for Condi as a candidate, I think the best we can hope for is that someone for the "traditional" wing of the Republican party wins the nomination, rather than one of the radicals or Tea Parties. I was actually really glad that Romney was the nominee this time instead of Santorum or Gingrich because it focused the race on some of the serious policy differences between the two parties rather than becoming a clown show. This meant that Obama advocated for some positions (for example upper class tax hikes) that he would not have had to do against Rick Santorum.

You think he wouldn't have proposed/campaigned on tax hikes for the rich if his opponent had been one of the loons?

Boijoina
Oct 9, 2012

richardfun posted:

You think he wouldn't have proposed/campaigned on tax hikes for the rich if his opponent had been one of the loons?

He wouldn't have needed to, imagine an Akin-esque rape chat falling out of sweatervest or jowlies mouth. Election over. Instead of 47% we would have gotten "babykiller!"

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

richardfun posted:

Obama probably wouldn't even have showed up for the debates if it was Santorum.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

notthegoatseguy posted:

The party of Bloomberg. His net worth is $22 billion. Not all rich people have that much in actual money they can spend at the drop of a hat, but Bloomberg could set aside a cool 1-2 billion if he really wanted to.

I have to preface this by saying that I literally have next to no idea what Bloomberg's ideologic stances are. That said: I would love to see him run as an independent simply so we could see how far an independent candidate with big-party levels of funding could go nowadays. Perot '92 got, what, 20% of the popular vote? If Bloomberg is less insane (and chose a better running mate) he could net a bit more. My enthusiasm for Bloomberg 2016 would be tempered by whether his candidacy would result in a far-right monstrosity winning because of Democrats splitting their votes, but goddamn if I don't want viable third-party choices.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dusseldorf posted:

Well maybe he could be a third party or he could run as a Democrat in the primaries but he's not getting nominated by the Republicans. He's only a Republican in name now so he didn't have to run in a primary against anyone for the mayoral election. He has horrible politics but he basically fits right in with most national Democratic politicians these days.
No, he's not even a Republican in name now.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
The time is actually pretty ripe for a wealthy third party guy to run, although we'll be in a better position to judge this after 2014. We were just talking about this in one of my electoral politics seminars - fundamentally a third party guy's best shot to make a substantial showing is to sniff out and impending or active factional battle in one or both of the major parties and exploit it. It doesn't take a genius or a wizard to realize that the GOP, while they will do their best to suppress it, has a battle coming. For that matter, the Dems may well too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nonsense posted:

Condi is still a speculative choice though as most of her friends like Madeline Albright have said over the years that she really isn't a politician, she's a diplomat-foreign policy junky. If she's drafted any more heavily than Christie will be though, she will run, because she tends to view government service as something she'll do if her party needs her. Otherwise I'm sure she's content to move on with her life from the Bush administration.

Well, the whole she's maybe probably gay thing would kill her in any primary race. Especially if the Santorum branch comes out again.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

The Prisoner posted:

The time is actually pretty ripe for a wealthy third party guy to run, although we'll be in a better position to judge this after 2014. We were just talking about this in one of my electoral politics seminars - fundamentally a third party guy's best shot to make a substantial showing is to sniff out and impending or active factional battle in one or both of the major parties and exploit it. It doesn't take a genius or a wizard to realize that the GOP, while they will do their best to suppress it, has a battle coming. For that matter, the Dems may well too.
Bloomberg being Perot without the crazy is either an amazing vision for the future, or something that will have me waking up in a cold sweat from 2014 til November 2016. I'm honestly not sure at this point.

That said, I have a gut feeling that Bloomberg wouldn't do it. It doesn't seem to be his style, and I think he'd be happier with the direct control that mayor of New York City over the 'soft' control of being a third party spoiler. But I don't think anybody really knows besides Bloomberg himself.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Jonked posted:

Bloomberg being Perot without the crazy is either an amazing vision for the future, or something that will have me waking up in a cold sweat from 2014 til November 2016. I'm honestly not sure at this point.

That said, I have a gut feeling that Bloomberg wouldn't do it. It doesn't seem to be his style, and I think he'd be happier with the direct control that mayor of New York City over the 'soft' control of being a third party spoiler. But I don't think anybody really knows besides Bloomberg himself.

Ron Paul(off mic): you won't be mayor forever

He got them to remove the term limits once, they won't do it in perpetuity. He has to go somewhere.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Jonked posted:

He'd also split New York against the Democrats. Not that he's in the can for them, but he doesn't seem like he'd want to do that considering his socially liberal stances.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Well, the whole she's maybe probably gay thing would kill her in any primary race. Especially if the Santorum branch comes out again.

Perhaps, this is the time for the Republicans to get over their lil' problems, and nominate the first allegedly gay black woman for president?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Nonsense posted:

Perhaps, this is the time for the Republicans to get over their lil' problems, and nominate the first allegedly gay black woman for president?

Pretty sure Oprah is a democrat.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Nothus posted:

Kasich has been trying to rehab his image by handing out candy to storm victims and supporting the school levy here in Cleveland. He's still a scumbag that everyone I know, left and right, loving hates. He'll be out on his rear end next election. I only hope that happens before he can sell the state liquor business and the turnpike to his Wall Street friends.

As a resident of Ohio, one thing I can say for certain about John Kasich is gently caress that guy. And now that I've gotten that out of my system, I think you're right, nobody here likes him--hell, he even managed to piss of law enforcement, how does a Republican governor even do that? (Hint: http://youtu.be/KF0_Qe4zNrE). He's clearly had Presidential ambitions in the past (was apparently on the short list for VP in 1996 and formed an exploratory committee for 2000) but now I think he's more into looting public assets for Wall Street and genuinely doesn't give a gently caress about anything else. I could be wrong, though, but hopefully a loss in 2014 will kill any chances of that.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

As a Marylander, I don't know what to feel when I see Gov. O'Malley's name on the list for potential candidates for the Democratic ticket.

I can see Sen. Benjamin Cardin in the Democratic primaries for sure, but not so much Gov. O'Malley. Sure, Question 6 being voted into state law recently happened while he was at the helm, and he approved a similar bill earlier this year back in March, but that doesn't mean that he should be inside the Oval Office.

Now that I think about it, I don't really like the idea of O'Malley being in White House.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

HereticMIND posted:

As a Marylander, I don't know what to feel when I see Gov. O'Malley's name on the list for potential candidates for the Democratic ticket.

I can see Sen. Benjamin Cardin in the Democratic primaries for sure, but not so much Gov. O'Malley. Sure, Question 6 being voted into state law recently happened while he was at the helm, and he approved a similar bill earlier this year back in March, but that doesn't mean that he should be inside the Oval Office.

Now that I think about it, I don't really like the idea of O'Malley being in White House.
A bill so similar, you might say Question 6 was a direct referendum on it.

I don't think O'Malley has a real chance unless Biden and Clinton retire and he gets the Clinton endorsement.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Nonsense posted:

Condoleezza Rice deserves better than to have the Republican Party nominate her for the Presidency.

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 13, 2012

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I have to preface this by saying that I literally have next to no idea what Bloomberg's ideologic stances are. That said: I would love to see him run as an independent simply so we could see how far an independent candidate with big-party levels of funding could go nowadays. Perot '92 got, what, 20% of the popular vote? If Bloomberg is less insane (and chose a better running mate) he could net a bit more. My enthusiasm for Bloomberg 2016 would be tempered by whether his candidacy would result in a far-right monstrosity winning because of Democrats splitting their votes, but goddamn if I don't want viable third-party choices.
He's basically a technocrat. I think he's a good mayor and I think he'd wilt on the national stage. He's short, he isn't really a natural politician, he'd probably get painted as a New York City limousine liberal, and he'd be 74 in 2016.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Nov 13, 2012

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

greatn posted:

Ron Paul(off mic): you won't be mayor forever

He got them to remove the term limits once, they won't do it in perpetuity. He has to go somewhere.
God, you learn something new every day. I didn't realize the mayoralty had a term limit in New York City. My gut still says that Bloomberg won't run and if anything he'll go for the senator seat since that seems to be the natural progression, but well, Bloomberg.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Comedy Time: who plays the Ron Paul role next (assuming those kids keep organizing)?

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

De Nomolos posted:

Comedy Time: who plays the Ron Paul role next (assuming those kids keep organizing)?
Rand Paul?

Comedy option, LaRouche.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Fabulous Knight posted:

he could also campaign for a "healthier lifestyle" too in the mix - like someone here said, it'd be a good non-threatening talking point.
That's what Michele Obama thought.

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 610 days!

pangstrom posted:

He's basically a technocrat and not a natural politician. I think he's a good mayor and I think he'd wilt on the national stage. He's short, he isn't really a natural politician, he'd probably get painted as a New York City limousine liberal, and he'd be 74 in 2016.

The talk of Bloomberg being anything but an embarrassment in 2016 is silly. The guy is at best considered a mayoral fascist in most states outside of NY.

He is dead in the water with the GOP, and I don't think using his disgusting wealth to buy a campaign is going to endear him to many Democratic voters. The myth of some great “independent” block in America that he could tap into is just that, a myth.

Bloomberg has no future beyond his purchased fiefdom of NYC.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

Jonked posted:

God, you learn something new every day. I didn't realize the mayoralty had a term limit in New York City. My gut still says that Bloomberg won't run and if anything he'll go for the senator seat since that seems to be the natural progression, but well, Bloomberg.

I'm pretty sure that both Schumer and Gillibrand could turn Bloomberg into paste if he tried to run for either of their seats.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

De Nomolos posted:

It very nakedly became a money making sideshow this year and one Ron wants to keep in the family. I think Rand will put an obviously non-serious effort into 2016 just to keep the fundraising train rolling, get himself on TV more, and maybe wiggle his way onto some VP lists. It will be interesting to see if the :evil:ution comes along as many of them hate him.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Joementum posted:

It very nakedly became a money making sideshow this year and one Ron wants to keep in the family. I think Rand will put an obviously non-serious effort into 2016 just to keep the fundraising train rolling, get himself on TV more, and maybe wiggle his way onto some VP lists. It will be interesting to see if the :evil:ution comes along as many of them hate him.

Isn't Rand gaining steam in the Republican party though? He endorsed Romney, but he also criticized him a bit too. He might be more politically viable if he just stays the current course. Might be able to draw in some libertarian nepotism votes as well. I could see the libertarian party moving forward with Gary Johnson or a new guy, and just making sure the nominee pays enough lip service to the great L. Ron Paul Hubbard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Volkerball posted:

Isn't Rand gaining steam in the Republican party though?

The party leadership doesn't trust him, and for good reason. He's been a bit of a gadfly at times in the Senate. I expect he'll have a qualified challenger in his next Senate primary.

quote:

I could see the libertarian party moving forward with Gary Johnson or a new guy, and just making sure the nominee pays enough lip service to the great L. Ron Paul Hubbard.

I don't think Johnson's going to go back to the well with the LP in 2016 and, even if he does, they might not take him. He managed 0.98% of the vote this time. Now granted, that's the LP's best showing ever, but even Nader managed 2.74% in 2000 and the goal is to hit 5% so that you qualify for matching funds. He didn't even come close.

• Locked thread