Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

eXXon posted:

It's more stickhandling, receiving passes and general hockey sense that's an issue.

I would agree with the third thing for sure. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fun fact: an idea to fix a development problem I've been having with a project I'm working on popped into my head when I was sitting on the bench between shifts tonight. The problem has been bugging me for about a day and a half. When I get home, I spend five minutes to try the fix out and sure enough it works.

So what I'm trying to get across here is that hockey can solve all problems.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

xzzy posted:

So what I'm trying to get across here is that hockey can solve all problems.

Yeah I had a cold and I skated it out on tuesday, Hockey, the Best Remedy.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
My favorite way of getting cleared out of the crease has been by this giant dude, he was like 6'4 and huge. He literally picked me up and skated me out of the crease and then set me back down, I had one foot touching the ice. (I'm 5'6, 170lbs). There was nothing I could even do but laugh

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

xzzy posted:

Wrestling in front of the crease is probably one of my favorite parts of playing defense. I may be a poo poo skater, but I have kickass balance and I can't remember the last time someone was able to put me on my back.. incidental or otherwise. Super tiring but it's fun.

Uh... don't you like intercepting passes and rushing up with the puck and/or making a clean, crisp breakout pass, getting it back at the point and unleashing a wicked slapshot?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

eXXon posted:

Uh... don't you like intercepting passes and rushing up with the puck and/or making a clean, crisp breakout pass, getting it back at the point and unleashing a wicked slapshot?

Spoken like someone who gets put on his rear end at the top of the crease :smuggo:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

It sounds like there is more contact in our no-contact co-ed ball hockey league than your ice hockey league, exxon.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

eXXon posted:

I find getting the puck off a dude's stick a lot more fun than intercepting passes on defense, though stopping a 2 on 1 by breaking up the pass is pretty cool. Breakouts, yeah, that's cool. Wicked slapshots? If I have to, though I'm better served shooting a hard low snapshot or wrister if I'm being honest.

Basically...

Pleads posted:

Spoken like someone who gets put on his rear end at the top of the crease :smuggo:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I really haven't put any effort into learning to slapshot properly.. part of this is because of time, if I only get a few minutes of ice time to shoot a puck, I'm going to work on wristers and snap shots.

But the other reason is slap shots just seem dumb. I can see some value in generating rebound chances but other than that they're crazy inaccurate even at NHL levels of play and really only seem to function as a legal means of injuring opposing players.

Is there something I'm missing here? For some reason everyone who plays hockey treats them like the pinnacle of putting pucks in net and I just don't get it.

Subtext: I love playing defense, but hate slap shots. Joining the rush isn't even fun for me, but I enjoy the hell out of screwing up the opposition's rush. Stealing the puck and giving teammates a chance to start a break out feels pretty badass though.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

xzzy posted:

But the other reason is slap shots just seem dumb. I can see some value in generating rebound chances but other than that they're crazy inaccurate even at NHL levels of play and really only seem to function as a legal means of injuring opposing players.

Well, most of the skilled players I see actually getting solid slapshots off from the point take harder slapshots than wristshots, so if you can get it on net in the first place you're better off slapping it. But sure, I would much rather be able to take a pass (especially on the backhand or when they're behind me) and/or take one-time snapshots reliably instead.

Doctor Butts posted:

It sounds like there is more contact in our no-contact co-ed ball hockey league than your ice hockey league, exxon.

I'm not sure how you got that impression but if so then good for you I guess? Or more likely bad for your ball hockey league.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

xzzy posted:

Is there something I'm missing here? For some reason everyone who plays hockey treats them like the pinnacle of putting pucks in net and I just don't get it.

Because I can't shoot a snap/wrist shot half as hard and a slapshot.

Theres nothing quite like ripping a slapper bar down on a rush from the outside top of the circles.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

D C posted:

Because I can't shoot a snap/wrist shot half as hard and a slapshot.

Theres nothing quite like ripping a slapper bar down on a rush from the outside top of the circles.

If you've got a markedly faster slapshot than wrist/snapshot then by all means go nuts (but please if you're at the point shooting through traffic try to keep it low), but in my case, it's not much gain in shot speed for a HUGE loss in release time and a moderate loss of accuracy. So I'll shoot a snapper from the point generally that's got a good chance of going where I want it to go (usually try to put it where someone can tip it) with a quick release.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Topoisomerase posted:

If you've got a markedly faster slapshot than wrist/snapshot then by all means go nuts (but please if you're at the point shooting through traffic try to keep it low), but in my case, it's not much gain in shot speed for a HUGE loss in release time and a moderate loss of accuracy. So I'll shoot a snapper from the point generally that's got a good chance of going where I want it to go (usually try to put it where someone can tip it) with a quick release.

Its significant.

Got a bit of a bomb, ask sellouts.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The Sharks do stuff like this, but the one that one of my teammates went to was something insane like $500-1000 for one day.

They also have a "Shark for a day" or something like that.. Its like $2k(goes toe charity) and you have a pre-game skate and then play against some alumni

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
The Preds camp was worth $50. The back room tour was pretty awesome, got to see all the laundry/locker/film/eq rooms.

The 90 minute skate session had several stations, and I defintely got something out of it. It was a good amount of fun, and really the fun of being on the Preds ice alone was a thrill in of itself. PS - the Preds ice was pretty soft.

No one seemed to know whether the ticket vouchers would be good next season though.

Anyway, I'll probably do it again if given the opportunity. IT was a lot of fun.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?
We won tonights game 8-4. I got a goal of a 2 on 1 after putting it off the boards to beat the defenseman at our blue line. I still say I had more fun battling for position in front of the net the whole game. I'm a bigger guy(5'11" 240lbs big shoulders) so I enjoy fighting for position with one or two guys trying to push me out or having the goalie hack my legs, that let's me know I'm doing something right and when your team scores or you knock in a garbage rebound it feels pretty good.

I grew up playing center in basketball and even then there was a lot of contact under the net fighting for position and rebounds. I wear way more gear in hockey and rightfully so I expect the positional battles in front of the net to be rougher. Its hockey its fun.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

I'm at work and don't have much time - Can somebody post the link to the site with all the information about different skate hollows and radius stuff. Taking my skates to the guy who does the skates for the pro team in the area tonight.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Zip! posted:

I'm at work and don't have much time - Can somebody post the link to the site with all the information about different skate hollows and radius stuff. Taking my skates to the guy who does the skates for the pro team in the area tonight.

You looking for this??
http://noicingsports.com/combination_skate_radius.html

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Great thank you.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Well I'm stuck being the captain of my team again, and I've already been reminded why I tried to give up that job. Over the years a couple other guys and myself have developed a huge "pool" of players and we usually end up with 2 or 3 teams, one in each division. Currently I'm running our highest level team and I've been feeling really good about the roster I put together, but now I'm stuck dealing with drama as a result. A good friend of mine was signed up for our D3 team but apparently he wanted to play on mine as well-- I had left him off the roster because we have a bit of a waitlist for roster spots and also because frankly he belongs in D3 if not D4. Even though I'm explaining to the guy that I gave spots to people who aren't already playing in other divisions first, he's mad at me because he helped recruit some of the higher level players that are on the squad. Between this kind of poo poo and the constant 'herding cats' BS that I go through trying to get people to reply back to emails about the schedule and whether or not they're properly registered I'm going to go insane all over again. It was a nice few seasons without these poo poo responsibilities while it lasted.

Plus I'm the goalie. I feel so much guilt every time we lose. This roster looks awesome on paper though so these assholes better win me a championship finally for all the grief they put me through.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Well I'm stuck being the captain of my team again, and I've already been reminded why I tried to give up that job. Over the years a couple other guys and myself have developed a huge "pool" of players and we usually end up with 2 or 3 teams, one in each division. Currently I'm running our highest level team and I've been feeling really good about the roster I put together, but now I'm stuck dealing with drama as a result. A good friend of mine was signed up for our D3 team but apparently he wanted to play on mine as well-- I had left him off the roster because we have a bit of a waitlist for roster spots and also because frankly he belongs in D3 if not D4. Even though I'm explaining to the guy that I gave spots to people who aren't already playing in other divisions first, he's mad at me because he helped recruit some of the higher level players that are on the squad. Between this kind of poo poo and the constant 'herding cats' BS that I go through trying to get people to reply back to emails about the schedule and whether or not they're properly registered I'm going to go insane all over again. It was a nice few seasons without these poo poo responsibilities while it lasted.

Plus I'm the goalie. I feel so much guilt every time we lose. This roster looks awesome on paper though so these assholes better win me a championship finally for all the grief they put me through.

Running a team is a thankless job. This season, the guys told me that they wanted fewer players on the roster so they could get more ice time, so I oblige that request and then have about 4 or 5 players cancel at the last minute and I'm only now getting the roster back into decent shape. Also, running the team as a goalie is a bit weird, but at least I know that I always have a roster spot, though that's academic since I'm recovering from my second knee injury this year.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Anyone here play in the Charlotte NC area? I thought there was one Carolina hockey goon. Ill be relocating next year and wondered how hockey was there. Looking around online there's a couple rinks and decent priced leagues.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Fingers McGee posted:

Anyone here play in the Charlotte NC area? I thought there was one Carolina hockey goon. Ill be relocating next year and wondered how hockey was there. Looking around online there's a couple rinks and decent priced leagues.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiScXmeJDaOidDJsWnlTUG5xM2trTmtFai1DQ1pHN1E#gid=0

Zamboni_Rodeo is in Raleigh, but that's like 3 hours from Charlotte.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Oh god how did I forget that, I even filled it out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do you wear a cage? You might have a concussion.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sweet sweet redemption!

After crossbarring 3 shootouts in a row, I buried our third shot to take home the win against one of our biggest rivals last night. We scored on all 3 of our shots and didn't give the other team a chance to take their third. They were mad. Then we drank beers with them afterward.

:feelsgood:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

xzzy posted:

Do you wear a cage? You might have a concussion.

The gear survey we did says he does :ohdear:

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Thufir posted:

The gear survey we did says he does :ohdear:

Oh no I do wear a cage, where am I?

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
Played the last game of the regular season last night against a team who poached one of our players by essentially paying for him to play. I guess poach might be a strong term, but it still kind of sucks.

Anyway, I played the game of my life and wound up with 4 goals and 2 assists, but more importantly the team won 11-4 against a pretty solid opponent. It was also pretty cool that I had my daughter there to see it. When we moved up to the D-North division we had some issues with people basically never coming off the floor, but tonight we were pretty firm on 2minute shifts and getting fresh legs on the floor as often as needed.

Only thing that sucked about my daughter being there was I couldn't sub for the next game, whose team only had 1 skater show up.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Ok, time to bring the thread down with another divisive discussion!

I personally wrap my laces around the ankle part of the skate after I reach the top (i.e. around the boot, not the tendon guard). I find this makes the boot a lot more sturdy for me, but it may just be that I started like this and just am imagining things.

I've heard arguments a lot of ways about this. Some guys I know say it does nothing and hurts nothing and just means "I have too much lace". Some dudes say it will destroy my tendon guard and limit my motion (some guys say this is why I have trouble on my outside edges). On the other hand, a lot of people say it's good extra support. What y'all think?

PS - xzzy, some of the guys I play with were talking about their lace bite problems, and one said that one thing that helped him was to not tie up all the way and then tape the poo poo out of the boot. Perhaps that will help you on your quest for a foot that dosn't hurt. I'd recommend getting some of that cloth-tape personally.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've read quite a bit that suggests wrapping or taping the ankle is a bad idea because it restricts flexibility and can actually make you more prone to injury. But on the other hand, lots of people do it without issue so I suspect it's one of those things where you should do whatever's most comfortable.

I've even had some guys suggest leaving the top eyelet empty when lacing up to allow even more ankle movement, which seems crazy to me.

I did a lot of downhill skiing as a kid, and due to the way ski boots work, I tend to like my ankle to be pretty snug. The top eyelets on my skate are the tightest for me, just enough to get a snug feeling around the ankle but still allowing me to move my foot freely.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Well i can say that I was once a big dummy who taped his ankles and the tendon guard on my skates has been torn ever since. I dont think theres a need, and at the same time I dont think it has much of a negative impact if you do it. Well, other than possibly ripping your skates.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You can't tell people to change what they do, but I tend to agree with these two points:

quote:

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/532143-what-are-the-advantages-of-tying-skates-around-your-ankle/#ixzz2CDgxmyos

Temporary Support

New skaters often tie laces around the ankle in an effort to gain additional ankle support and stability. If you're wearing skates that are the correct stiffness for your skill level, you should not need extra support from laces tied around the ankle. In fact, wrapping laces around the ankle when you already have stiff skates can cut down your ability to flex your ankles, which can negatively impact your skating skills. In this instance, the laces reinforce the stiffness of the leather, making them too stiff.

A need for added support typically means that you need to buy stiffer skates. Given the relatively high price of new ice skates, skaters often find themselves wearing broken-down boots until they can afford to order new ones. In this case, wrapping laces around the ankle can give a small amount of added support so you can continue skating while you wait for your new boots.

Accommodate Poorly Fitting Skates

Many casual skaters start the sport wearing hand-me-down skates or boots purchased at sporting goods stores or yard sales. These skates may not fit as snugly as skates purchased from an ice rink pro shop, leading to blisters and discomfort for the skater. Tying the skates around the ankle may help hold the foot more firmly in place in boots that are too large or too wide, which leads to improved comfort and an easier time on the ice.

Also I don't lace the top eyelet because I gotta get dat deep knee bend

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I buy proper-length laces and don't wrap.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Is allowing for ankle flexibility supposed to help skating that much, though? I tend to pronate heavily while barefoot or in shoes so I find that having poor ankle support means on my skates means that I just pronate more and have weaker strides.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

eXXon posted:

Is allowing for ankle flexibility supposed to help skating that much, though? I tend to pronate heavily while barefoot or in shoes so I find that having poor ankle support means on my skates means that I just pronate more and have weaker strides.

Depends on who you ask! I think there's a difference between "support" and "being restrictively tight" however. A properly laced hockey skate gives a bunch of support even though you can move your ankle around.

I like how this guy explains the value of having some freedom in the ankle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed8uE9ApPhs

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

eXXon posted:

It should. You can't get a good toe flick without ankle flexibility.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

coldwind posted:

It should. You can't get a good toe flick without ankle flexibility.

toe flick?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

JetsGuy posted:

toe flick?

Laura Stamm is probably better at explaining it than me:

http://www.laurastamm.net/The-Toe-Flick.aspx

Basically you're using the toe part of your blade to squeeze a little extra power out of every stride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I also pronate, and when I very first started playing hockey it was a pain, but after a while your ankles will get stronger and will make it virtually a non-issue. You might be tempted to tape around your ankles, but it hinders you more than anything and can also lead to injury.

If you're still having an issues, try using a stiffer boot, that way you'll lock in better but you'll still retain that forward mobility. I wear a fairly stiff skate (Bauer One100 previous generation) and I skate with the top eyelet undone for movement, and have no lateral issues.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 14, 2012