Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Montezuma Zubaz
Aug 13, 2010

Houdini didn't die of AIDS! Why do you always say that?
Hey wtftastic: My Sadie went through the same thing this past year. A fortune, two vets, several food trials and a dermatologist later I found that a grain-free diet does a good job at keeping most of her troubles away.

When things start to get out of hand there is a medication called Atopica. It isn't a steroid or antihistamine but acts as a immunosuppressant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Rixatrix posted:

I hope it goes well for you guys. As a hopefully comforting anecdote I can tell you that Pi's allergy issues haven't progressed in the few years he's had them. He started out bad enough the vet thought it couldn't possibly just be allergies since he was so lethargic and just generally ill, but after that initial round of systemic steroids and antibiotics to treat his secondary skin infection in his paws he's been fine with just a diet (i.e. a certain brand of hypoallergenic kibble, not even the expensive hydrolyzed protein kind.) He occasionally needs a topical steroid if his diet hasn't been as strict as it should have, but that's not a big deal.

That's really great to hear. Thanks for all the advice and info you guys- if it weren't for PI I'd have probably just gone "Its fleas :downs:!" and kept applying his topical preventative.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Urgh Quaffle has been chewing on his foot all weekend and it's all red and raw looking between his middle toes. I poked around and he doesn't flinch, and he doesn't limp, so it doesn't seem like it's cut or there's something in there. He has a vet appointment in a couple of hours. I'm hoping it's something simple but if it turns out he has food allergies too I am blaming all of you for even discussing the subject and making it contagious to PI's dogs :arghfist:

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

gently caress I hope not. I know I'm super lucky that even though she's a mix that could be a walking set of predisposition to skin problems, Beck has only ever had two allergic reactions to anything.

I hope everyone's dogs stop itching.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Okay the vet said he didn't think it was a food allergy since the itching seems to be really localized (between the middle toes of his right foot) but that it is very likely a mild seasonal allergy that he doesn't think is going to turn into a major ongoing thing. Quaffle has to take antibiotics and I have to wash his foot with a medicated shampoo every couple of days and he should be all better in a couple of weeks.

Also we had a big discussion about fat dogs and how fat pet dogs all are. Except Quaffle, Quaffle is perfect. And the other perfect PI dogs of course.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Holy poo poo. Petco kicked the gently caress out of Petsmart for black friday ads this year:

http://bfads.net/Petco
http://bfads.net/Pet-Smart

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

WolfensteinBag posted:

Hey! I know a few of you have worked towards certification for dog training, has anyone here gone through Animal Behavior College (ABC)? I'm considering going through their program just for the experience, but I want to know if it's going to be worth it, since we REALLY don't have the money to be throwing around. I just posted this on the APDT message boards, but I thought I'd try you guys, too, since this site is WAY more active:

I'm still four days behind on this thread and need to get ready for work in 30 minutes, so forgive me if this has been resolved.

I graduated from ABC a few months ago and have been training at Petco since April. All in all, I'm satisfied with the education i received, but there is still A LOT to learn.

The internet based portion of the class is really easy. Your practice exam is the exact same as the real test. Do the reading, do the practice test and unless you're a total moron you will pass.

Practical portion can be hit or miss depending on your mentor. Mine was great, my mentor was really open to questions and made sure I knew what I was doing. We had another student join us after my first 6 weeks of mentorship who said her old mentor was horrible.

Basically, you get what you pay for. I have a solid base in +P basic obedience, but there's is so much more I need to learn and certify in before I can start looking at real jobs outside my suburban Petco. ABC also has a short chapter on business skills and I think some of their CE class cover more business related stuff if you're interested in that route.

I haven't gone for the ccpdt yet, so I'll be interested in seeing if anyone has responded to that question.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Holy poo poo. Petco kicked the gently caress out of Petsmart for black friday ads this year:

Sweet! Perfect for PISSmas! :neckbeard:

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Oh my god, plus employee discount= I do not need more fishtanks but its so cheaaaaaaaaap bawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww what do i do :( I want a fluval spec. and chi. and edge.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Soonmot posted:

I'm still four days behind on this thread and need to get ready for work in 30 minutes, so forgive me if this has been resolved.

I graduated from ABC a few months ago and have been training at Petco since April. All in all, I'm satisfied with the education i received, but there is still A LOT to learn.

The internet based portion of the class is really easy. Your practice exam is the exact same as the real test. Do the reading, do the practice test and unless you're a total moron you will pass.

Practical portion can be hit or miss depending on your mentor. Mine was great, my mentor was really open to questions and made sure I knew what I was doing. We had another student join us after my first 6 weeks of mentorship who said her old mentor was horrible.

Basically, you get what you pay for. I have a solid base in +P basic obedience, but there's is so much more I need to learn and certify in before I can start looking at real jobs outside my suburban Petco. ABC also has a short chapter on business skills and I think some of their CE class cover more business related stuff if you're interested in that route.

I haven't gone for the ccpdt yet, so I'll be interested in seeing if anyone has responded to that question.

I'm going to take a completely different route here and say that I don't much care about receiving a CPDT-KA, a CTC, a CTP, or any of the training certs that are offered. As good as they are, I have my sights set on an ACAAB, then a CAAB. Let me 'splain why. Training is just a drop in the bucket when it comes to studying animal behavior. Knowing why an animal Does a Thing requires understanding the physiology and biological mechanisms, the evolution of Canis lupus familiaris, the development from embryo to adult of the species, and THEN be able to apply that knowledge. I would demand my mechanic understand how my car is put together to tell me why it rattles; I want as a trainer and behaviorist to have all of the same knowledge at my disposal. A lot of trainers don't believe you need to know the exact neurochemistry at play in aggression in order to treat it. I disagree. Every case is an individual, who is part of a breed, which is part of a species. I need to know all of it, and if that means investing into a Ph.D. in ethology, so be it.

Disclaimer: This is only an opinion and I do not mean to suggest that any trainer without a graduate degree in behavior and ethology is a bad trainer, just that I want to hold myself to a higher standard and hope to achieve as much someday.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

ButWhatIf posted:

I'm going to take a completely different route here and say that I don't much care about receiving a CPDT-KA, a CTC, a CTP, or any of the training certs that are offered. As good as they are, I have my sights set on an ACAAB, then a CAAB. Let me 'splain why. Training is just a drop in the bucket when it comes to studying animal behavior. Knowing why an animal Does a Thing requires understanding the physiology and biological mechanisms, the evolution of Canis lupus familiaris, the development from embryo to adult of the species, and THEN be able to apply that knowledge. I would demand my mechanic understand how my car is put together to tell me why it rattles; I want as a trainer and behaviorist to have all of the same knowledge at my disposal. A lot of trainers don't believe you need to know the exact neurochemistry at play in aggression in order to treat it. I disagree. Every case is an individual, who is part of a breed, which is part of a species. I need to know all of it, and if that means investing into a Ph.D. in ethology, so be it.

Disclaimer: This is only an opinion and I do not mean to suggest that any trainer without a graduate degree in behavior and ethology is a bad trainer, just that I want to hold myself to a higher standard and hope to achieve as much someday.

I understand why you feel that way but a really, good, comprehensive understanding of the neurochemical basis of a lot of behaviors (and diseases) still isn't really out there, and what is there tends to be done in model systems. Sure we get basic reward and stuff like that, but things like stress, aggression, etc. are, as far as I've read, a lot more tentative and speculative in nature.

For behavior and basic training, I'd be perfectly happy working with someone who wasn't super familiar/ up to date with neuroscience/neurochemistry so long as they were experienced with training.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I have to say the best part about cold weather is that all your pets get cuddly. Sadie is here snoring while being pressed up next to me. I don't care that its only because they are heat-leeches, it is cute :3:

I am a super-sucker for cute though because I threw a towel I needed to wash over a footrest so that I could spot-treat a grass stain and it became Sadie's favorite place ever. I put a blanket there now and a cat bed inside and I swear she spends five hours a day in it.

Spot the cat! (click for big)

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
omg ya'll I just looked at a really awesome house with a big ol' yard and really nice landlords and I'm probably gonna put a deposit down on it tomorrow to move in on the first. :neckbeard: It's got a big backyard (only partially fenced but whatever) and they are totally cool with my MIXED BREED DOG and Boston Terrier. My dogs will finally not have to endure ridiculous rules that make no sense and make them insane and make Moses Stare At Cats all day and then eat Frankie's face. I am sooo excited hnnnngh

PS. Never move back in with your parents, sleep under a bridge instead!!!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Superconsndar posted:

omg ya'll I just looked at a really awesome house with a big ol' yard and really nice landlords and I'm probably gonna put a deposit down on it tomorrow to move in on the first. :neckbeard: It's got a big backyard (only partially fenced but whatever) and they are totally cool with my MIXED BREED DOG and Boston Terrier. My dogs will finally not have to endure ridiculous rules that make no sense and make them insane and make Moses Stare At Cats all day and then eat Frankie's face. I am sooo excited hnnnngh

PS. Never move back in with your parents, sleep under a bridge instead!!!

Wooo! That is absolutely awesome news. Maybe the landlord would be amenable to you fencing in the rest of the back yard? I wonder if Moses will take it like "I'm a great dog, look at this awesome house just for me because I am so great!" or "I did everything wrong and I'm going to rot here" :qq:

I bet moving is going to break Frankie's brain though. It is also a shame about Gumbo (partially because his name is Gumbo).

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

ButWhatIf posted:

The only problem with this is that I'm not going to find a program I can afford working 30 hours a week at Petco. I'm basically relegated to reading what I can.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:ohdear: Did something happen to Gumbo?

I'm glad to hear you're almost out, Super. I hope you get the place. :3: I hope it has a giant tree for Moses to hang off of.

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm glad to hear you're almost out, Super. I hope you get the place. :3: I hope it has a giant tree for Moses to hang off of.

As far as I know, Gumbo has been crammed into the role of "good dog" that means no drive, no barkbark, and will be warming Super's parents' floors for the foreseeable future.

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish
I think Shifty Pony just means it's a shame that Super can't take Gumbo with her to her new place and he will be stuck with her parents.

But also YAAAAAAAAY!!!! for the new house!! I'm really, legitimately happy for you, I can't wait for you to get all moved in with your fiancee and start your happy new life :glomp:

quote:

As far as I know, Gumbo has been crammed into the role of "good dog" that means no drive, no barkbark, and will be warming Super's parents' floors for the foreseeable future.

Replied before I saw this, exactly.

mickeymickey fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 13, 2012

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Just what everyone else said: Gumbo will be a chubby dog puddle.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
Horrah for Moses and Frankie!

uggghhh you guys. A local pet store just recently closed. Its been in the area for many years and it was the closest pet store to where I lived growing up. It is very very very awesome that it closed because it was a horrible place with too many birds in one cage and sold puppies etc etc. It is sort of a big deal because a few months back the owners of the store went bankrupt (or maybe it was the landlord???) Either way the IRS shut it down. Although the store was closed to the public, supposedly the employees still came by once a day to feed the animals, but the evidence is mounting that the animals were abandoned for up to a few weeks. 4 days ago the landlord changed the locks, owners were like "oh well, can't get in to feed the animals not my problem anymore". Landlord enters building, finds lots of dead animals (don't really know what/how many yet). People and rescue groups come in, take in/buy remaining animals. Landlord opens store for a few days to sell off the rest of the crap inside.

My bf and I went by, just to see what they had. I mostly wanted to see it one more time before it was gone. Yes, it was a poo poo hole but some of my earliest memories about animals were from this place.

The bf works for a local news station so he has been updating me on what's been going on. It is frustrating at the moment because not enough info is available (and credible) to be reported on yet. The facebook comments are definetely a thing. I know some of what is being said from people that are helping with the animals are probably true, but the majority of the comments are "my dog came from there it died of parvo why didn't anyone do something" or "[local animal control/welfare] knew about this I called 3345 times a day to tell them about how terrible this place was for 10 years its their fault this happened". I basically started calling everyone an idiot because telling them that animal control can't just shut down a store because 1 dog died of parvo or too many birds are in a cage or something. Besides, no one knew this was happening, even the businesses right next door.

The important thing is that many animals are in the care of rescue groups or at vet clinics. My main concern is for the parrots and other birds. There were many macaws, amazons, greys etc and I really worry about their condition. Also, there was a rumor of someone breaking in and stealing a cockatoo?

Story if anyone is interested

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

That loving sucks. I can't believe that someone would just be like oh well, I'm bankrupt, guess I'll just forget about the LIVING loving ANIMALS imprisoned in my old store! I hope the owner gets slammed hard for animal neglect at the very least.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

wrong thread

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 13, 2012

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Soonmot posted:

The only problem with this is that I'm not going to find a program I can afford working 30 hours a week at Petco. I'm basically relegated to reading what I can.

Yeah, this pretty much. We're not in a place yet financially where it's really feasible yet (just bought that drat house), plus I have a lot of courses I'll have to take/re-take, so it's going to take a good decade+ before I get there. I just, y'know, really really reeeeally want to get there. Meanwhile, I'm focusing on absorbing as much as I can from my mentors and honing technique.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

wtftastic posted:

I understand why you feel that way but a really, good, comprehensive understanding of the neurochemical basis of a lot of behaviors (and diseases) still isn't really out there, and what is there tends to be done in model systems. Sure we get basic reward and stuff like that, but things like stress, aggression, etc. are, as far as I've read, a lot more tentative and speculative in nature.

For behavior and basic training, I'd be perfectly happy working with someone who wasn't super familiar/ up to date with neuroscience/neurochemistry so long as they were experienced with training.
I agree with this. Science will probably make progress as we go along like it tends to do, but I'd even go so far as to say it's not going to be possible to know the exact neurochemistry at play when dealing with behavior, at least not anytime soon. Basic neurobiology and behavior are separated by so much "biological noise", that I really don't see the point to bring the minutiae of basic science into practical training especially when it's observing changes in behavior that we should be doing.

This isn't to say I don't enjoy geeking out reading up on behavioral neuroscience, because I do :)

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

If I had my life to start over, I would have gone straight off and studied animal behavior at U of I in central IL. As it stands, though, I "wasted" my education for 3 years getting credits that are too scattered to mean anything, I have a house, husband, and baby, need to work full time, and the U of I program is the only one like it anywhere near. If I worked towards something like that, by the time I got there I'd be retired! Really, the best option for me is to take the experience I've gained, the personal studying I've done, and find a way to best develop on it to where I can really help people. I'm really confident with the dogs and with problem solving creative ways to work on behavior issues, but I really need more coaching working with people and with running a business, and of course I could benefit from working with more dogs.

At any rate, for serious issues, like severe separation anxiety and aggression, I'm fully aware of my limits and that some things you really need a veterinary behaviorist for. Some dogs do way better with medication and I am sure as hell not qualified to suggest a good course of action. I wish I remember who said it, but I was listening to a podcast from a vet behaviorist awhile ago, and she talked about there needing to be levels of professionals (classes, personal trainers, and vets) because it's just not possible for vets to see everyone that just have small, non medical issues to work out at home. I'd like to land somewhere in the middle. :)

Editing to add, I don't want to make it sound like I don't think people should shoot for higher education like you, ButWhatIf! You need people that strive for the most education they can, like that, if everyone "settled" for less, you wouldn't have anyone qualified enough for the big stuff. :)

WolfensteinBag fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Nov 13, 2012

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Shifty Pony posted:

Just what everyone else said: Gumbo will be a chubby dog puddle.

Yup. Yesterday it rained, all day, so he spent the whole day (and all night last night, and all night the night before) in his crate because my parents won't let him out in the house unless he's been running around outside all day (or after the way too long for a weird stubby puppy walks my mom takes him on a few times a week) because if he literally does ANYTHING while he's out in the house my mom immediately wigs out about how she can't deal with this because she doesn't have time to watch him and throws him back in his crate or outside. He basically has to come in and pass out in a puddle and then suddenly he's "omg what a ~good~ dog!!" because he's unconscious.

I taught him basic commands and a few tricks but I can't teach him manners because he's never consistently allowed out in the house long enough- so when you attempt to do anything with him he jumps on you constantly, mouths you, and intentionally tries to bump anything in your hand out of it so he can have it. He doesn't listen to "no" because it's screamed at him every time he has a thought, and my mom absolutely WILL NOT give him appropriate things to do rather than just shrieking no in his face when he does a thing. So he's a flurry of knocking things over, jumping on counters, stealing things, chewing inappropriate stuff- he basically has the manners of a 3 month old puppy but he's like...7 months old. It's bullshit because he's a really smart, good dog and he's totally shut down now and refuses to pay attention to anyone unless they're directly cramming treats in his mouth (I am the only one who ever does this) because he has no reason to, the only words he ever hears are "NO STOP, NO, GET DOWN, NO, DROP IT, NO, GET IN YOUR CRATE" before someone impotently swats his butt and crams him in a corner. He's kinda houndy and hard headed but when I work on stuff with him I make progress really fast because he's food motivated, but it goes right out the window when I'm done because it isn't done with him consistently at all.

He spends 90% of his time wandering around the yard with Frankie when Moses isn't outside. If the weather is crappy, like yesterday, he's totally screwed and doesn't leave his crate unless I happen to remember to check to see if anyone remembered he existed all day after I get home from work. And even then, I can't pay *too* much attention to him, because I have my own crazy rear end dog to keep sane and he takes up most of my free time.

They are very good about making sure he gets fed on time (too much) and that he gets taken out to potty regularly. That's it. :geno:

Here's some pics I took of him Sunday now that everyone is aware of his plight!!

He really, really likes to fetch and will politely bring you back the things you throw for him for hours. When I get home early enough I try to sit outside and throw a stick for him for as long as I can, but then Moses starts making GBS threads himself and I have to stop so I can take my idiot manchild of a dog for his zillionth walk/springpole session of the day, while he either acts like I am human poo poo for paying attention to the puppy, or HE is a Bad Dog because I paid attention to the puppy, depending on what kind of meltdown his delicate snowflake brain decided to have that day. :shepicide:

He loves Frankie to death (he is like 50 lbs now and beats him up but Frankie is just like :saddowns::catstare: about it) and on most days he does, at least, get to spend most of the day hassling the poo poo out of Frankie in the yard which is, at least, better than just all crates all the time. I hate that that is going to go away once I move, and I plan on bringing Frankie over a few days a week so he will at least get *some* interaction with a living thing that doesn't involve screaming and the word "no," but that's really not going to amount to much.

My mom thinks everything is fine and he is a good dog and there is nothing wrong with keeping a dog in a box except for when you want to take it out and pet it for 5 seconds/drag it on a 6 mile death march that it is way too young for.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Every time I see his face all I can think is "wanna take that dog rabbit huntin'".

Also: rub his head until it literally falls off his shoulders because goddamn I wish you had a better home, Gumbo, you're too cute to become a puddle. :smith:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

He looks like such a proper huntin' dawg too. :( Poor Gumbo.

So, decided once I move into our new ~super awesome fenced in actual house~ I'm getting myself a higher drive dog (probably a puppy) I can take on runs and hunts and be my spotter when I'm deadlifting. I'll probably stick with a hound mix from the shelter since there are so many here and they're all gorgeous. :allears: Of course, that won't be for several months, possibly more than a year. Gives plenty of time for me to spaz over ideas though. Lots of hunting area my friends and family are okay with me using once I start training that sort of thing, though.

If there's one thing I love about the southeast, it's all the awesome working animals and livestock. Wouldn't trade hearing hounds bay all night for anything. :3:

Edit: Blue Lacy mixes and feists at the shelters too ffff I better stop looking before I get puppy fever.

Hardwood Floor fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 13, 2012

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I take my dogs to a field that is, TECHNICALLY, affiliated with a local school--but which I've seen kids on a handful of times, literally, over the six years or so I've lived here.

Today a teacher stormed across the field and told me to get out because dog poop!!!! and if I was seen on there again he'd call the police. There's no signs saying I'd be fined or anything, just one saying to 'please refrain from walking your dogs here'.

Sooo now I have to find alternate place to exercise my dumb mutt because we go there usually like 2-3x a day and urgh. The next nearest field is basically a dog park and is where I've had most issues with rude dogs. The next one nearest is like a 20 minute walk away and is almost always muddy and gross :saddowns:

Lmao that what would the police actually do, legally, when there's no signs saying I could get fined and the only sign there is is 'please refrain from walking dogs' not 'no dogs'.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Rixatrix posted:

I agree with this. Science will probably make progress as we go along like it tends to do, but I'd even go so far as to say it's not going to be possible to know the exact neurochemistry at play when dealing with behavior, at least not anytime soon. Basic neurobiology and behavior are separated by so much "biological noise", that I really don't see the point to bring the minutiae of basic science into practical training especially when it's observing changes in behavior that we should be doing.

This isn't to say I don't enjoy geeking out reading up on behavioral neuroscience, because I do :)

Yeah, the mechanisms involved in human behavior and psychological problems are still very much a guessing game at this point so I'm not sure how much I care about a trainer's ability to understand every biochemical process behind behaviors. I expect my vet behaviorist to be up to date on the current research and why they think medications work. I expect a good trainer, especially ones doing behavior consults and private sessions, to understand stress hormones and when a dog needs to see a vet behaviorist. For the average dog with the average owner they just want the dog to not bite the mailman and only pee outside. You don't need a neuroscientist to do that, you need someone that is good at observing behavior and communicating with owners.

Everyone should strive to continue to expand their knowledge base but personally I find it a lot more helpful to learn new training and motivation techniques than about neurotransmitter research. And I say this as someone who has read and done a lot of research on behavior, stress hormones, and neurochemistry.

Congrats on your new place Super! It's too bad about Gumbo but sometimes you just have to worry about your own dogs first.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
This morning I fed the cat his breakfast and he ate some and then went blurkblurkblurk and puked up his food right in his bowl along with the rest of his breakfast. And then he ate it up again. Hooray self-cleaning pukey.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Yeah, the mechanisms involved in human behavior and psychological problems are still very much a guessing game at this point so I'm not sure how much I care about a trainer's ability to understand every biochemical process behind behaviors. I expect my vet behaviorist to be up to date on the current research and why they think medications work. I expect a good trainer, especially ones doing behavior consults and private sessions, to understand stress hormones and when a dog needs to see a vet behaviorist. For the average dog with the average owner they just want the dog to not bite the mailman and only pee outside. You don't need a neuroscientist to do that, you need someone that is good at observing behavior and communicating with owners.

Everyone should strive to continue to expand their knowledge base but personally I find it a lot more helpful to learn new training and motivation techniques than about neurotransmitter research. And I say this as someone who has read and done a lot of research on behavior, stress hormones, and neurochemistry.

Congrats on your new place Super! It's too bad about Gumbo but sometimes you just have to worry about your own dogs first.

I work in a lab that does neuroscience and neurochemistry (I do more methods for measurements/ detection than actual work with the neuro side of things) and that's pretty much what I've come away with. The brain is just this hugely complex and sensitive organ and diseases/ behaviors are probably the result of incredibly complicated and subtle interactions, regulation, and so on. Its not enough just to know what's active in a process, its probably more important to understand how much of neurotransmitter A is present and in what discreet brain region. That's information we have a lot of difficulty in getting (and quite frankly some of the most common methods for getting that info are probably distasteful to people if performed on dogs)and interpreting. Look at the number of hypothesis on Parkinson's and what causes it- people say its all dopaminergic, but there's increasing evidence that its not that simple.

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish
:stare: I found this on my car after I came out of Petsmart the other day:

Note the prominent typo right across the top! The site is still under construction, but I imagine it'll be like Craigslist for dogs, and then the two owners get to share the "profits" of selling the puppies? It's like backyard breeding gone viral :psyduck: I'm sort of tempted to email them and ask what the gently caress they're thinking. Or maybe suggest some catchy slogans to help with their marketing. "MateYourDog.net: Because There Are Never Enough Mutts"

Anyway, have some pictures of Amy to restore your faith in the world.

Sitting like a good girl:

Laying down like a good girl:

Note: no websites were used in the making of this mutt.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

mickeymickey posted:

:stare: I found this on my car after I came out of Petsmart the other day:

[awful]

Note the prominent typo right across the top! The site is still under construction, but I imagine it'll be like Craigslist for dogs, and then the two owners get to share the "profits" of selling the puppies? It's like backyard breeding gone viral :psyduck: I'm sort of tempted to email them and ask what the gently caress they're thinking. Or maybe suggest some catchy slogans to help with their marketing. "MateYourDog.net: Because There Are Never Enough Mutts"

Think it'd be a bad idea or overreaction to contact the ASPCA or AVMA about it, just to let them know it exists? I have an itchy report finger today and the forums are pretty quiet. :saddowns:

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.
Dogs <3 I'm still giddy about our search practice on Sunday. Healy was soooo good and TyTy got to bark a bit, too. (I'm teaching TyTy to indicate subjects by barking before we do anything else.)

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Charmmi posted:

This morning I fed the cat his breakfast and he ate some and then went blurkblurkblurk and puked up his food right in his bowl along with the rest of his breakfast. And then he ate it up again. Hooray self-cleaning pukey.

My cat barfed up his breakfast as I was walking out the door today and I was just like, "meh, guess that'll be lunch." Fatty fat hog cat eats too drat fast.

Brillig
Oct 21, 2008

You know the world isn't fair at all. Titles aren't fairly distributed either. In time you'll learn my son. -2Bit
One of my cats threw up today. So I got my spot cleaner out of the cabinet, cleaned the barf spot, and returned to the cabinet to put the cleaner away. When I opened the cabinet door, a hissing wild beast jumped right at my face. I squealed, she poof tailed and ran away. We scared the poo poo out of each other. It was like a lame horror movie jump scare in real life. :rolleyes:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
It was annual vet visit time for all three cats tonight. Apparently Chaplin has a heart murmur. :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Skizzles posted:

It was annual vet visit time for all three cats tonight. Apparently Chaplin has a heart murmur. :(

:ohdear: Is it an "okay" heart murmur or is it worrisome? The few times I've seen him on here I've always thought he was a really lovely boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
We don't know yet. She said on the 1-6 scale it was a 3. There's nothing else concerning going on with him. She said we could do a blood pressure test or ultrasound to figure it out. I couldn't really afford either one tonight (I do have CareCredit but I try to reserve that strictly for emergencies).

My boyfriend and I broke up recently, actually, so I'll be moving out soon. I'm taking Freya because she was always kinda my cat. Breeze was always his cat and she gets along with Chaplin a lot better than Freya. So I guess it'll be up to him to deal with it. I'll miss that bastard and his morning snuggles. :(

eta adorable picture:

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 14, 2012

• Locked thread