Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Any chance of the price on the TF101 keyboard dock dropping soon? I was interested in maybe getting one but at least on Amazon they're still $120+, despite Asus having already put out a couple of better tablets. Then again, I guess the original Transformer isn't much older than a year so perhaps it's too early for a price drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

C-Euro posted:

Any chance of the price on the TF101 keyboard dock dropping soon? I was interested in maybe getting one but at least on Amazon they're still $120+, despite Asus having already put out a couple of better tablets. Then again, I guess the original Transformer isn't much older than a year so perhaps it's too early for a price drop.

Check eBay. There are plenty of used ones buy-it-now for less than $100.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I think I have finally had it with the poo poo performance of the stock TF700. Is there any compelling reason not to move to cm10 for this device? Will I lose any interesting functionality similar to the stylus stuff baked into the Note 2, etc?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I don't have any firsthand experience with your tablet, but CM10 and really most custom Roms go way way better on tablets. Things almost always go wrong with radios, calling, MMS, camera, that kind of fancy stuff. A tablet mostly has to worry about Wi-Fi and audio which are a lot harder to mess up. I put CM9 on a Nook Color a long while back and even as an alpha it was fine.

Edit: there is an official CM10 nightlies xda thread, I don't see any deal breakers in the known issues: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1957660

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 12, 2012

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The last time I tried CM10 a while back it was still pretty rough, but CleanROM is a decent measurable improvement over stock.

However, if you aren't already unlocked I'm not certain if it's worth losing the warranty to mess with these roms.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

low-key-taco posted:

However, if you aren't already unlocked I'm not certain if it's worth losing the warranty to mess with these roms.

Asus is pretty lenient with software hacking.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

low-key-taco posted:

The last time I tried CM10 a while back it was still pretty rough, but CleanROM is a decent measurable improvement over stock.

I haven't unlocked yet, but considered it.

If I have the extended warranty through Best Buy, I'm guessing the only downside at all to unlocking the bootloader is losing OTA OS updates?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Crosspost from the Rooting thread, but maybe someone here might know a solution:

So anyone root a Kindle Fire HD? I'm following the drat guides on xda (laff) and I can't actually post on their draconio-fascist forums (laff) because of some moderator "Iron Fist" (laff) movement to lower "pointless posting," and I've run into a snag that I can't find the solution for anywhere in their threads or on android forums, though I apparently am not the only person with the issue...

I grabbed their Kindle Fire ADB Drivers and the install just kicks out with an error saying Install failed with no explanation. I have the Android SDK all setup, I even did the manual install where you pull the support packages off Amazon's own server, it's all there, but the Composite ADB Driver isn't showing up at all in my Devices, and the installer thing still isn't working. I tried to manually wipe the driver, then enter in the VID_1949 info into the the usb_drivers.inf, then manually update the driver and point it to that directory, which is about as close as I've gotten to it recognizing something, but it errors out of that saying it FOUND the ADB Composite Driver, but then it says Access is Denied and I can't install it. I rebooted Win7 into Admin mode and tried again... same error.

What the gently caress. How is this so loving complicated, and why the gently caress is it refusing to work for me? So annoying.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Kynetx posted:

Asus is pretty lenient with software hacking.

I don't know where you got that from. They were voiding peoples warranties if they even remotely detected that it was rooted. Heck, they tried voiding a guys warranty because he had rooted, but he was trying to send it in because it the glass was broken.

Every OTA update they did, they tried their best to make it so you could root the Transformer Prime. At least that has been my experience and my observations with only the Transformer Prime.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 12, 2012

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

uapyro posted:

If I have the extended warranty through Best Buy, I'm guessing the only downside at all to unlocking the bootloader is losing OTA OS updates?

Yep, and that isn't such a bad thing considering the OTA updates have broken a few things before (I think the newest update fixes the HDMI problems they introduced though).

I'm pretty sure the Asus warranty is done if you unlock because at this point the only way to unlock is the official tool which explicitly says your warranty is gone and also deletes some DRM key that they'll be able to easily notice.

I guess that is another caveat, if you are buying movies off the Play store some people have reported issues viewing them after unlocking. Also if you are a Hulu user you may need to use an old hacked copy of the app.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Ozmodiar posted:

Can someone explain how to actually read/interpret Better Battery Stats? I got it to help diagnose what was eating the battery on my N7, but I have no idea what (if anything) it's trying to tell me.

Even though its intended as a developer tool, try Dr Power instead since its information hierarchy is a lot simpler/clearer than the BBS kitchen sink approach.

That said, it's not really normal to have to babysit the N7 on power. So if an app doesn't turn out to be the culprit and your Android OS stat isn't abnormal (seems like some are seeing battery drain on 4.1.2), then I'd err towards exchanging the device.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I rooted my Nexus 7 yesterday (with the unpleasant surprise that it wiped my tablet, but it took me only a hour to get back to what I had before). Since Google pushes the 4.2 update out today apparently, do I need to load it manually via zip-File in CWM or will the OTA still work on a rooted device? My only other Android device - my Samsung Galaxy S2 - runs with CM10 so the question never appeared there, as CM10 does their own OTA updates.

Edit: Nevermind, AP posted a helpful guide on how to update to 4.2. It's really a great update.

Decius fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Nov 13, 2012

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Nexus 7 4.2 OTA rolling out.

Manual download link for the impatient: http://android.clients.google.com/packages/data/ota/google_nakasi/094f6629314a.signed-nakasi-JOP40C-from-JZO54K.094f6629.zip

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Is the Nexus 10 sold out already? There was a small window where you could buy the 16gb, but the 32gb never went online it seems.

Edit: Welp, this might get a little difficult for German customers then.

AlexF fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 13, 2012

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

AlexF posted:

Is the Nexus 10 sold out already? There was a small window where you could buy the 16gb, but the 32gb never went online it seems.

Apparently their poo poo is sold out within 20 minutes according to the phone thread. G+ is trending to watch for 9am PST.

I think they had about 10 devices of each for sale.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What is the best way of getting one? I wasn't going to get one until the end of the month, if that matters.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Gyshall posted:

What is the best way of getting one? I wasn't going to get one until the end of the month, if that matters.

If they do the same thing as the Nexus 7, then driving to your local Staples store is your best bet.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

IT Guy posted:

If they do the same thing as the Nexus 7, then driving to your local Staples store is your best bet.

I picked up a 16GB from Staples a couple days early. It was listed in stock on their site, and I just drove there and bought it. The guy had no idea of a release date or anything. He had them in a case behind the counter.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Loaded the 4.2 update on my N7 this morning. So far so good. I love the idea of the multiple users, since my kids like to play with my N7 and keep loving up my save games.

If the multi-user thing works well, I'm going to really push the wife toward an N10 rather than another iPad.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart
So does anyone know anything about when the Nexus 7 with HSPA will be available, or did they sell out already and I missed it? The website changed to have one of the options with HSPA and "AT&T", but clicking on it leads to a "page does not exist".

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_16gb
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_32gb_hspa_att

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Yeah, so this has been one hosed up launch for Germany. All devices sold out after 20 minutes, server crashes (how can something like this happen to Google? They basically ARE the internet.) and not even a chance to preorder the next batch. Not cool, Google :(

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Google loving up a product launch? Why I never

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

smilingfish posted:

So does anyone know anything about when the Nexus 7 with HSPA will be available, or did they sell out already and I missed it? The website changed to have one of the options with HSPA and "AT&T", but clicking on it leads to a "page does not exist".

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_16gb
The UK store has it available right now. I realise that doesn't help you, but it does exist.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

Tunga posted:

The UK store has it available right now. I realise that doesn't help you, but it does exist.

Maybe this means I need to wait 5 hours or something. Thanks, bro.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
They took off the lock screen short cut for Google Now in 4.2.

What the gently caress Google? Some consistency would be nice.

Edit: lol they made the onscreen buttons do it from the lock screen instead. Good lord. "4.x - Guess the feature set!"

Edit again: hahahaha you basically have two notification shades now depending on where you drag down from; left or right. Except there's no visual cues telling you that's what it's going to do. Just spent a good 5 minutes wondering why the gently caress I was dragging it down and randomly getting either my notifications or settings toggles.

Google is now XDA.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 13, 2012

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart
Okay, so now there's a page for the Nexus 7 with HSPA in US play store; it includes an AT&T SIM card but is still unlocked.

Not available to buy, of course. Just a "notify me when this is available" thing.

EDIT: Scratch that, it's available to order.

smilingfish fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 13, 2012

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
The HSPA+ model of the N7 is for sale in Canada now

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart
Tried to order HSPA Nexus 7, kept getting errors. Hopefully it's not charging my credit card.

I understand Google's motto is "Don't be evil" but right now I'd settle for evil if it also came with competent.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

smilingfish posted:

Tried to order HSPA Nexus 7, kept getting errors. Hopefully it's not charging my credit card.

I understand Google's motto is "Don't be evil" but right now I'd settle for evil if it also came with competent.

The store's getting hammered because of the Nexus 10 right now, I think. Took a crapload of tries, but I think I got one.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart
Yep, my order just went through.

Time to sell my wifi-only Nexus 7.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

The store's getting hammered because of the Nexus 10 right now, I think. Took a crapload of tries, but I think I got one.

The site is getting hammered because of the nexus 4, the 10 is not that good

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart
If you've ordered something, check and make sure you didn't get charged twice - I did.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ars has discovered that the 32gb Nexus 7 is using faster NAND than the 8gb.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/11/googles-nexus-7-gets-a-fresh-coat-of-paint-for-the-holidays/

It's hard to say how this compares to the 16gb model.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Whenever the store gets sorted out I am planning on getting the HSPA version of the N7, but I notice Google seems to be promoting AT&T for its mobile data. I was hoping to get a TMO prepaid sim to use in it with the 5GB $30 plan (since you only get 100 minutes its worthless for my phone needs).

I see its unlocked but is it still compatible with TMO? I know they are re-farming to 1900mhz but my city won't get that anytime soon; we don't even have HSPA 42 for the regular TMO frequencies. But AT&T HSPA is sprint levels of slow here while I know TMO is above average.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

nickutz posted:

Whenever the store gets sorted out I am planning on getting the HSPA version of the N7, but I notice Google seems to be promoting AT&T for its mobile data. I was hoping to get a TMO prepaid sim to use in it with the 5GB $30 plan (since you only get 100 minutes its worthless for my phone needs).

I see its unlocked but is it still compatible with TMO? I know they are re-farming to 1900mhz but my city won't get that anytime soon; we don't even have HSPA 42 for the regular TMO frequencies. But AT&T HSPA is sprint levels of slow here while I know TMO is above average.

From what I understand, it is compatible, it just comes with an AT&T SIM by default. Call up T-Mobile and order a SIM if you want to use them.

I live in the Atlanta area and AT&T is pretty awesome around here, so I'm not complaining.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is there any sort of summary on what the 4.2 update actually does on a Nexus 7, specifically? Other than the lockscreen widget and the annoying notification shade changes I'm not noticing anything. I certainly was not seeing the Gmail update with pinch to zoom that was supposedly going to happen.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
In case anyone was wondering about the prepaid monthly AT&T data plan that Google is hawking for the N7:

Domestic DataConnect Pass Plans Cost
DataConnect Month Pass 250MB $14.99
DataConnect Month Pass 3GB $30.00
DataConnect Month Pass 5GB $50.00

Literally better to just get a full T-Mobile $30 phone plan and pop the SIM in. I guess if you have poo poo T-Mo reception then maybe it's not too terrible.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

kitten smoothie posted:

Is there any sort of summary on what the 4.2 update actually does on a Nexus 7, specifically? Other than the lockscreen widget and the annoying notification shade changes I'm not noticing anything. I certainly was not seeing the Gmail update with pinch to zoom that was supposedly going to happen.

Android police says pinch-to-zoom gmail should be included.
New Clock + Timer / Stopwatch
New Keyboard w/ swipe
Multi User support
Lockscreen widget
Settings Shade
Expand contract notifications

Not sure what I'm missing. Can't wait till I get home and sideload 4.2 tonight.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

kitten smoothie posted:

Breaks google voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

w00tazn posted:

Android police says pinch-to-zoom gmail should be included.
New Clock + Timer / Stopwatch
New Keyboard w/ swipe
Multi User support
Lockscreen widget
Settings Shade
Expand contract notifications

Not sure what I'm missing. Can't wait till I get home and sideload 4.2 tonight.
The new gesture keyboard is definitely better than the leaked one from last month.

Don Lapre posted:

Breaks google voice.
Working fine here. :shrug:

Edit: Click to call through cell worked as well.