Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Shmoogy posted:

I admit that I laughed at the ad, but I've been seeing a trend in which companies are almost attacking people in their ads. I don't think that it's really a technique which is going to get people to switch to their product.

I think the key is consumer segmentation (coming from a marketing wonk). You're not going to swing the clueless DSLR market with that ad, you're going to appeal to people that want to take DSLR quality photos without looking like your uncle with his brand new T3i and kit lens. Plus, I think there is something to be said for tailoring your equipment to the work - sometimes a DSLR makes you look like a pro, other times it makes you look like a dweeb.

It's kinda like that Samsung Galaxy S3 ad - they're not appealing to iPhone users, they're appealing to the Android faithful.

edit: But back on topic, is focus peaking on the 5N as useful as it seems for an MF lens shooter? Please say no, my wallet is hurting.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Sony focus peaking is pretty okay, I think it's probably very useful if you buy the EVF.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Radbot posted:

edit: But back on topic, is focus peaking on the 5N as useful as it seems for an MF lens shooter? Please say no, my wallet is hurting.

Hells-to-the-yeah it is. I shoot mostly manual focus lenses with my 5N. I have shot everything from landscapes to roller derby to concerts with manual focus lenses. Focus peaking is the fastest and most effective method of manual focusing that I have ever used whether on film or digital. Unlike rangefinder patches or split prisms, you can both compose and focus at the same time. It's like using plain ground glass but with a kick.

However, the drawback is that while it is fast, it is not pinpoint precise as the peaking highlighting has a threshold margin of error to it which is necessary because otherwise you wouldn't be able to see any of the in-focus highlighting. But if you're shooting on the run and/or moving subjects where close enough is close enough and actually getting the shot matters more than absolutely nailing focus, it's great.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Shmoogy posted:

I admit that I laughed at the ad, but I've been seeing a trend in which companies are almost attacking people in their ads. I don't think that it's really a technique which is going to get people to switch to their product.

The guy getting annoyed at the flash popping up in Auto made me laugh because I've actually seeing someone doing that. Her solution was to hold it down rather than learning anything new about her camera though.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...

HPL posted:

Hells-to-the-yeah it is. I shoot mostly manual focus lenses with my 5N. I have shot everything from landscapes to roller derby to concerts with manual focus lenses. Focus peaking is the fastest and most effective method of manual focusing that I have ever used whether on film or digital. Unlike rangefinder patches or split prisms, you can both compose and focus at the same time. It's like using plain ground glass but with a kick.

However, the drawback is that while it is fast, it is not pinpoint precise as the peaking highlighting has a threshold margin of error to it which is necessary because otherwise you wouldn't be able to see any of the in-focus highlighting. But if you're shooting on the run and/or moving subjects where close enough is close enough and actually getting the shot matters more than absolutely nailing focus, it's great.

THIS.

Focus Peaking is indeed the secret sauce everyone wants. It's not a magic bullet to guarantee razor sharp focus with every shot you take, and the results you get vary according to the qualities of the glass you put in front of it, but it will usually give you something salvageable, if not perfect.

The EVF is a huge factor as well, and it is highly recommended to either spring for the external EVF or get a body with an EVF built in (my recommendation, especially if you need to use flash AND manual focus simultaneously it's not gonna happen on a NEX 5-series body). That being said, you can get great results just using the screen, as long as you can see it to verify focus. As an example, here's a shot I took last winter with the NEX 5n and a Canon FD 50/1.8 just using the LCD for focus check, it's plenty sharp for my needs.

Glasses by Trip Sixes, on Flickr

I've picked up a NEX 6 and the new kit lens and am itching to put it through the paces. My initial impression is that it's everything I liked about the NEX 7 (ergonomics, EVF, built-in flash), with none of the things I hated about it (large files that are still very noisy, not as good in low light as the 5n).

krackmonkey fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 13, 2012

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Radbot posted:

I heard so much praise for the focus peaking feature but when I tried it, I absolutely hated it. It's like I can't compose a picture with all this digital crap dancing in my view. I'm in the minority on this but I prefer zoom to focus.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Amazon has some Fuji XE-1 bodies in stock.

So tempting.

Must...resist.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Amazon has some Fuji XE-1 bodies in stock.

So tempting.

Must...resist.

Same feeling for me. Going from an 18MP camera down to 12MP really hurt my inexperienced composition which can sometimes benefit from cropping. The 16MP sensor on the XE-1 would be a nice bump, and the lack of an OVF isn't as huge a sticking point for me.

Am I missing something incredibly useful in regards to OVF vs. EVF, or is it more a matter of personal preference?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
I've never used an EVF, but from what I gather they can be somewhat quirky but very usable.

I need to resist buying this one because I told myself I was done buying gear for a while. But I really like that camera and what Fuji is doing with this system.

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008
I wish Sony would update the firmware to allow assigning focus peaking to a button. Then you could check focus without all this crap on the screen all the time.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
So the NEX 6 kit is in stores now but I can't get the standalone 16-50 pancake lens until March?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

rexelation posted:

So the NEX 6 kit is in stores now but I can't get the standalone 16-50 pancake lens until March?

Watch eBay for parted out kits.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Radbot posted:

I'd be willing to go for it as I've have good luck with Panasonic stuff, but why choose the GX1 over the NEX-5?

Oh the sony is the better camera its just that m4/3 is better supported with lens selection although that is changing. In any case I just wanted to make you aware of it, since the GX1 is just a drat good camera and it's similarly priced, so if you wanted an m4/3 system it's absolutely the best value right now.

That being said in your shoes I'd go for the Nex too probably.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Olympus has officially announced the 17/1.7 at $499.

Here's a simple review by Robin Wong: http://robinwong.blogspot.be/2012/11/olympus-mzuiko-17mm-f18-review-street.html
And at Pekka Potka: http://www.pekkapotka.com/journal/2012/11/14/olympus-mzuiko-17mm-f18.html

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Hello lens that replaces my 14 and 20.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Daamn I was expecting it to be quite a bit pricier than that. Interesting timing, with Panasonic just dropping the MSRP of the 25/1.4 to $499 as well.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I probably won't get that since I already have the 14mm and I don't seem to use it much at all. Unless someone wants to buy it from me.

alkanphel fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 16, 2012

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Hello lens that replaces my 14 and 20.
That's what I'm thinking. I haven't seen a good size comparison between the new lens and, say, the 20 though. But I'm thinking a slight loss in portability is made up for by having 1 less lens to switch out.

I'm thinking a 17-45 kit is better than 14-20-45. Then I can always add a fisheye or something for if/when I really want something wide.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I got a Nex-3 but I hate not having a viewfinder. I am sort of a n00b when it comes to these sort of things but I have been thinking of going for the x100. I am not really big on photographer, I would like to ease into it and I need a camera that doesn't draw a lot of attention and I can keep in my satchel bag.

I would like to be able to take a lot of photos that blur out the background (aperature?) Is it easy to swap lenses with Fuji? I was hoping maybe going with Cannon so when I switch over to a real DSLR, I could keep the lenses.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Enigma89 posted:

I got a Nex-3 but I hate not having a viewfinder. I am sort of a n00b when it comes to these sort of things but I have been thinking of going for the x100. I am not really big on photographer, I would like to ease into it and I need a camera that doesn't draw a lot of attention and I can keep in my satchel bag.

I would like to be able to take a lot of photos that blur out the background (aperature?) Is it easy to swap lenses with Fuji? I was hoping maybe going with Cannon so when I switch over to a real DSLR, I could keep the lenses.

If you want the ability to change lenses, you'd need to go with the Fuji XE1 or XPro1 - the X100 is a fixed lens (35mm equivalent) that only has a wide angle adapter. You wouldn't be able to use Fuji lenses on a Canon though. Having two systems isn't the end of the world, and the X100 is the perfect camera for taking with you everywhere. The X100 is also kind of an expensive way to "ease into" photography.

A lower/wider aperture would indeed blur whatever isn't in focus, like a portrait background.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Enigma89 posted:

Like what Helicity said above, the X100 is a fixed lens camera, rather than being interchangeable. With mirrorless cameras, there's two different options for view finders, Electronic Viewfinders (EVFs) that essentially show you what you would see in the back of your LCD screen or Optical Viewfinder (OVFs) which are what you would get with a DSLR.

Fuji makes the XPro-1 and the X100 which gives an OVF with actual information in it (like shutter speed, aperture, etc) rather than just being a dumb window with framing lines. There are a few different camera makers that have EVFs built into their cameras now, Olympus' OM-D or Sony's NEX7 are good examples. Depending on what type of viewfinder you would want on your camera would actually narrow things down quite a bit.

e: Seeings as though you want to ease more into photography, it would probably be in your best interest to go down to a camera store and try a few different cameras out.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

http://www.adorama.com/CZPUYS.html

Has anyone here tried these cheap-ish tilt adapters with their mirrorless bodies?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Would an EVF help with sunny days? That is the biggest downfall on my e-pm1. It's hard as gently caress to see what I'm taking a photo of if it's super bright out because of the glare.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Augmented Dickey posted:

http://www.adorama.com/CZPUYS.html

Has anyone here tried these cheap-ish tilt adapters with their mirrorless bodies?
I've used one with my NEX. It's a nifty way to spice up photos but once you get past the novelty of it, you'll probably find yourself using it less and less. If you're particular about weight and bulk, be aware that they are a little heavier and bulkier than plain adapters because of the extra parts, but not by much.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

TLG James posted:

Would an EVF help with sunny days? That is the biggest downfall on my e-pm1. It's hard as gently caress to see what I'm taking a photo of if it's super bright out because of the glare.

Absolutely, though it's basically the same thing as looking at the LCD screen but through a hole.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I don't really understand the point of EVFs for modern digital cameras. What are you getting out of them that you wouldn't from just looking at the screen? Especially considering how nice articulated, bright LED screens can look.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

eXXon posted:

I don't really understand the point of EVFs for modern digital cameras. What are you getting out of them that you wouldn't from just looking at the screen? Especially considering how nice articulated, bright LED screens can look.

Sometimes you just don't want to hold the camera at arms length.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
And those nice, articulated screens still can't overpower the sun that's over your shoulder.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

scottch posted:

And those nice, articulated screens still can't overpower the sun that's over your shoulder.
Knee the sun in the groin. That'll give you enough time to run away.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

eXXon posted:

I'd rather have an EVF rather than no viewfinder given the choice. It obviously doesn't bother a lot of people, but I don't like shooting on the back of the LCD in most circumstances.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
I don't really understand the point of real buttons for modern digital cameras. What are you getting out of them that you wouldn't from just using the touch screen? Especially considering how touch screens can be completely flexible.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Buttons are much faster, more ergonomically placed, and feel better.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I'm kinda pissed off at Sony and Fuji for making such good cameras and making me choose between them :argh:

Had a half hour to kill before dinner in Fukuoka last night, so I popped into Yodobashi again. They had the NEX-6, which was pretty nice. The power zoom is OK... I don't hate it as much as I thought I would, but I'd much rather have Fuji's f/2.8-4 zoom instead (I remember there's supposedly a pro-ish zoom coming out for E-mount eventually, although I'm sure it'll be at lollerskates Zeiss prices). No interest in the new wide zoom, personally. I'm tempted to hold out for whatever succeeds the NEX-7, but the back dial on my NEX-3 is almost unusable at this point, and I'm thinking I probably wouldn't be out too much money if I bought a used NEX-7 and resold it whenever the new one comes out.

Seems like Fuji has the edge in glass as well as in image quality (not that the NEX's are bad), but I'd miss the articulating LCD on the NEX dearly, prefer the form factor of the NEX-6 and 7, and I think I'd be OK with a regular zoom, the 16mm for the occasional wide stuff, and a fast prime (non Sony, manual focus) for what I use digital for these days. Based on what they've been doing with their Alpha DSLR's and now with stuff like the RX-1, I think In the long term I also think Sony's going to have the more interesting system, and could see the advantage of selling my Canon stuff and moving to an Alpha DSLR for the occasional pro gig I get down the line, and having the NEX to use those lenses with on an adapter.

They had an RX-1 out that I played with too. It's really nice, but not enough to drop 2.5x what I paid for my car on it :supaburn:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Touch screen controls are horrible for cameras. Controls should be fast and easy to use by feel without looking at them. Touch screens are also too easy to activate by mistake. I ended up disabling the touch screen on my NEX.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Mozzie posted:

I don't really understand the point of real buttons for modern digital cameras. What are you getting out of them that you wouldn't from just using the touch screen? Especially considering how touch screens can be completely flexible.

Touchscreens don't have any tactile response, which is kind of a big deal to many photographers. People like to be able to change basic settings (aperture, sensitivity, etc) without taking their eyes off the subject and with a touchscreen that would never really be possible.

Also, if your screen breaks on a touchscreen-only camera, the entire thing becomes inoperable.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 24, 2012

HystericFactor
Aug 30, 2003
It's time for dim sum.
Clapping Larry
I guess that joke was a bit too subtle.

Even though it's tiny and lovely, I'm still glad I have the EVF on my GF-1. When the sun is bright and glaring, it is really nice to have the scene isolated to compose. And I guess it can save a bit of power not having the LCD on, which is useful when I'm travelling and don't know when I can recharge.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

There is a $50 rebate on the much loved sigma 30mm lens this week as well as some other EVIL deals http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/the-full-mirrorless-black-firday-deals-roundup/

Think I will finally pull the trigger at this price, even though I am still considering moving from Sony to Fuji...

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Can someone break down the difference between a nex5 and the nikon J1 for me? In laymans terms.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Can someone break down the difference between a nex5 and the nikon J1 for me? In laymans terms.

NEX cameras have a big aps-c sized sensor (what most dslr's use), the J1 has a CX sized sensor (closer to point and shoot sized).

You'll probably have an easier time adapting lenses to the nex, but the nikon is pretty solid from tests I've seen too. If you do get a Nikon 1 look for the v1, it's dirt cheap right now and it has the viewfinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
Ufff, close call. I got one of the very first X100s, from before the earthquake, so it is getting old, totally out of warranty, and I bought it from NZ but live in Iceland anyway. The viewfinder shutter just stopped working for no good reason. No drops, nothing crazy happened at all to explain it. When the EVF came on, I got a weird ghosting where anything bright would show through since the shutter didnīt come up. I am one week away from a trip to Italy, so no way I am going to try to get it repaired before then.

Then, I had it on the table to take photos of thanksgiving dinner, and my dog managed to pull it off the table with his tail tangled in the strap (he was on my lap). It was in the leather case, and took a tumble on the floor. Luckily the leather case seems to offer a ton of protection, but I picked it up immediately to make sure it still worked. Lo and behold, the shutter is unstuck now and all works perfectly. Thanks doggy! Not sure I would have had the guts to drop it myself.