Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

knowonecanknow posted:

I was invited to my friends Thanksgiving dinner this year and he asked everyone to bring a dish to pass. Well the host can't consume gluten, soy, or dairy which takes away every ingredient I normally cook with. Does anyone have any suggestions for me or recipes for any dishes that would/could go with a Thanksgiving dinner?

Thanks!

In your place I'd probably just roast up a mess of veggies. Possibly using coconut milk instead of cream, if I wanted to braise some brussel sprouts with nutmeg.

One thing that's almost become a staple at my parent's house for thanksgiving is dry roasted parsnip chips. Just thrown in the oven with kosher salt, until almost burnt looking. Deep Frying or a dehydrator would probably make them look better, but when they're a really deep brown I love them.

Rice dishes would work, but I almost never cook with rice so I don't have any ideas handy. Though I did read an article about the "Worst Dinner Guest Ever" (Vegan, lactose intolerant, gluten intolerant, allergic to eggs, and allergic to nuts) and they gave a handful of recipies. One of them being a mushroom risotto. Never cooked any of the recipies listed, aside from the strawberry sorbet, but here's the link otherwise. http://www.thekitchn.com/the-most-difficult-dinner-guest-ever-and-5-delicious-meals-to-feed-them-169102

If not veg*n you could also look at some paleo recipies, though sometimes hard to find something that is actually food and not gimmicky (or 90% bacon).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Doh004 posted:

I just did this last night and it looks like I made a pretty concentrated stock. Would it be unheard of to use it like a concentrate and add water to it to make it last a bit longer?

Nope, that's the best way to do it.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

Jyrraeth posted:

In your place I'd probably just roast up a mess of veggies. Possibly using coconut milk instead of cream, if I wanted to braise some brussel sprouts with nutmeg.

One thing that's almost become a staple at my parent's house for thanksgiving is dry roasted parsnip chips. Just thrown in the oven with kosher salt, until almost burnt looking. Deep Frying or a dehydrator would probably make them look better, but when they're a really deep brown I love them.

Rice dishes would work, but I almost never cook with rice so I don't have any ideas handy. Though I did read an article about the "Worst Dinner Guest Ever" (Vegan, lactose intolerant, gluten intolerant, allergic to eggs, and allergic to nuts) and they gave a handful of recipies. One of them being a mushroom risotto. Never cooked any of the recipies listed, aside from the strawberry sorbet, but here's the link otherwise. http://www.thekitchn.com/the-most-difficult-dinner-guest-ever-and-5-delicious-meals-to-feed-them-169102

If not veg*n you could also look at some paleo recipies, though sometimes hard to find something that is actually food and not gimmicky (or 90% bacon).

Thank you a lot for a very useful post! I'll look into these and sample a few before I decide what to make.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

luscious posted:

okay so I let the "Pho" sit overnight, cleaned the fat off the top, and am now letting it simmer with a new bunch of spices and fresh sliced onions. I tasted it before I added all that and it isn't bad. It wasn't what I was hoping it to be but for a first time it could have been a lot worse.

needs more worms

http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2011/02/pho-secret-ingredients-dried-earthworms-sa-sung-sipuncula.html

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

ugh my "pho" tastes so bad that worms could only improve it. I don't know what the gently caress went wrong but it's really wrong whatever it is.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

They keep referring to them as earthworms, but then mention that they're marine worms. "Earthworm" is not interchangeable with "worm" guys. :colbert:

I do wonder what went wrong with your pho, luscious. Mine is never quite as amazing as what I get at the place up the street from me, but it usually comes out pretty satisfying.

I did once make the mistake of dumping all the leftover ingredients into the broth and tossing it in the fridge to eat later...blegh. The noodles basically dissolved and the whole thing was a big mushy starchy mess. Never again.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

RazorBunny posted:

They keep referring to them as earthworms, but then mention that they're marine worms. "Earthworm" is not interchangeable with "worm" guys. :colbert:

I do wonder what went wrong with your pho, luscious. Mine is never quite as amazing as what I get at the place up the street from me, but it usually comes out pretty satisfying.

I did once make the mistake of dumping all the leftover ingredients into the broth and tossing it in the fridge to eat later...blegh. The noodles basically dissolved and the whole thing was a big mushy starchy mess. Never again.

Deciding that it was a lost cause I added a lot of sugar (a lot) and it actually started tasting okay. Definitely not as good as what I'm used to but along the lines of acceptable and at least not 'pour you down the drain in a fit of anger'. So the final product is edible... now I just need to finish it and make another batch using the advice from this thread.

Thanks guys :)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

luscious posted:

Deciding that it was a lost cause I added a lot of sugar (a lot) and it actually started tasting okay. Definitely not as good as what I'm used to but along the lines of acceptable and at least not 'pour you down the drain in a fit of anger'. So the final product is edible... now I just need to finish it and make another batch using the advice from this thread.

Thanks guys :)
Grab a pressure cooker so this whole experiment takes 30 minutes instead of 8h!

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

knowonecanknow posted:

I was invited to my friends Thanksgiving dinner this year and he asked everyone to bring a dish to pass. Well the host can't consume gluten, soy, or dairy which takes away every ingredient I normally cook with. Does anyone have any suggestions for me or recipes for any dishes that would/could go with a Thanksgiving dinner?

Thanks!

I'm a celiac, so have a bit of experience on this one. Favorite Thanksgiving dishes:
Maple glazed carrots (simple, vegan, gf)
Orange juice, brown sugar mashed sweet potatoes (boiled, mashed, juice and cinnamon added to taste, get the as fluffy as possible, sprinkle brown sugar, and broil in a pretty dish to get a little glaze going)
Rosemary, seasalt, olive oil potatoes -

Soy/Dairy/egg tends to be a secondary problem for many celiacs, so you start getting in the habit of cooking vegan stuff if you have any sort of potluck dinners regularly!

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Are cast iron frying pans really that much better than stainless steel? I've always preferred stainless steel myself, but so many people are raving over cast iron. Which is better, and why? Can you cook everything in it, just like stainless steel?

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

eightysixed posted:

Are cast iron frying pans really that much better than stainless steel? I've always preferred stainless steel myself, but so many people are raving over cast iron. Which is better, and why? Can you cook everything in it, just like stainless steel?

They're good for different things. Seasoned cast iron is basically non-stick,stainless is not. Cast iron tends to have better heat retention, but worse heat dispersion (plus it'll take noticeable longer to get up to temperature). Cast iron is much less likely to warp but, given enough thermal shock (or being dropped on a cement floor), can crack. It's generally a bad idea to cook highly acidic foods, like tomatoes, in cast iron.

So the answer? Neither! I use both. When it comes to high-temperature applications or rough and tumble scenarios (camping, etc) or when I need a frying vessel that will maintain heat better after the food goes in, I go with cast iron. For acidic foods, situations where I want the food to stick a bit so I can develop fond for a pan sauce, or when I'm on a schedule and I want that pan up to temp fast, I used my steel. There's really no one-size fits all pan.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

rj54x posted:

They're good for different things. Seasoned cast iron is basically non-stick,stainless is not. Cast iron tends to have better heat retention, but worse heat dispersion (plus it'll take noticeable longer to get up to temperature). Cast iron is much less likely to warp but, given enough thermal shock (or being dropped on a cement floor), can crack. It's generally a bad idea to cook highly acidic foods, like tomatoes, in cast iron.

So the answer? Neither! I use both. When it comes to high-temperature applications or rough and tumble scenarios (camping, etc) or when I need a frying vessel that will maintain heat better after the food goes in, I go with cast iron. For acidic foods, situations where I want the food to stick a bit so I can develop fond for a pan sauce, or when I'm on a schedule and I want that pan up to temp fast, I used my steel. There's really no one-size fits all pan.

Thanks for the tips. I just found this thread which is going to prove to be helpful too :)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've just made a leek, potato and bacon soup but I've added too much potato I think. Its essentially finished and I'm playing with the flavours and it still needs more salt but its definitely mostly potato. I'm out of leek as well. Anything else I can do to try and make it taste not totally like potato

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
More bacon?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm not sure it would get the flavour through properly at this point. Anyway adding the salt it needs it has sorted things fortunately. Its still very potatoey but not pure potato

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Scott Bakula posted:

I'm not sure it would get the flavour through properly at this point. Anyway adding the salt it needs it has sorted things fortunately. Its still very potatoey but not pure potato

Welp I guess I'll be doing this tonight. I only have a couple of leeks but it should be fine.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Fry the bacon and then a bit of onion as well. Otherwise just do whatever you feel like.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
When cooking black beans, do I just mash some of them and combine them back into the pot to make a thicker consistency? I only tried making them once before and it seemed like they were more watery than thick like I have had in restaurants.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Scott Bakula posted:

Garlic. Lots of it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Iron Lung posted:

Anyone have any good home made vinaigrette/other salad dressing recipes that will keep in the fridge for a week or two? Doing the gluten free thing and getting sick of the store bought stuff.
A basic vinaigrette is just a mix of somewhere between 3:1 and 2:1 oil to vinegar. Just measure them out, put them together, and stir. I tend to mix up vinaigrette as I need it instead of making ahead of time, but it'll certainly keep for a week or two. If you want it to stay emulsified better, just add a little bit of mustard (I just eyeball it, but if you were mixing 3 Tbsp of oil with 1 Tbsp of vinegar, I'd add like maybe a tsp of mustard).

You can add other things to a basic vinaigrette, but if I was planning on mixing up a bunch to use over a couple weeks I'd just make a bunch of a simple vinaigrette and then add other stuff (shallot, garlic) on a per-portion basis.

For oil and acid, I usually use canola with an assertive acid like a red wine vinegar, and a good quality olive oil with (real) balsamic vinegar.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Do the usual warnings with garlic in oil apply to garlic in vinaigrette, too?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

tarepanda posted:

Do the usual warnings with garlic in oil apply to garlic in vinaigrette, too?
Yeah. Keep it in the fridge and don't worry about it.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Wroughtirony posted:

A teaspoon of truffle oil is way way too much. Just use the same amount of regular butter and add a couple of drops of truffle oil. You can always add more if it's not enough.

Yeah it was way too strong. A little goes a long way.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

knowonecanknow posted:

Thanks!

Carrot and swede mash with olive oil and rosemary
Roasted veggies and squash
Cranberry sauce
Hot spiced nuts
Lemon garlic broccoli
Rice
Lots of supplements for the host!

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
Sorry to repost, but can I get some duck recipes? It's a whole bird, but I'm cool with breaking it down, though I'd prefer a good whole roast.

Meeper
Jan 1, 2007
I'm going to make a lasagne for a dinner party in a couple of weeks, and I'm lead to believe that not only is it easier to cook it a day or so ahead and reheat, but this will make it be more cohesive and cut and serve easier. Firstly, is this true, and if so, how long should I put it in the oven for at what temperature to reheat it?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Wotan posted:

Sorry to repost, but can I get some duck recipes? It's a whole bird, but I'm cool with breaking it down, though I'd prefer a good whole roast.

I like to just rub it with marmalade and roast it until it's done, personally.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Wotan posted:

I dry it well and rub the skin with salt and pepper. Then stick it in the oven at 450. I roast for 30 minutes, flip and roast another 15, flip back and another 15. It's usually about done by then, if not just let it go longer. The flipping's mostly for the skin, this way the skin on the bottom isn't too soggy--still not nice and crisp like on top but better. If you have a real oven and a rack you probably don't need to bother.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Meeper posted:

I'm going to make a lasagne for a dinner party in a couple of weeks, and I'm lead to believe that not only is it easier to cook it a day or so ahead and reheat, but this will make it be more cohesive and cut and serve easier. Firstly, is this true, and if so, how long should I put it in the oven for at what temperature to reheat it?

Absolutely true for any casserole -- tuna noodle, lasagna, mac and cheese, anything. It's so much richer and better-tasting.

When I do it, I tend to plate it and bake at the original temperature for ten minutes or so. If you bake the entire thing, you should probably let it sit on the counter for 15-20 minutes, otherwise you'll have consistency problems (outside overdone inside cold).

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

I dry it well and rub the skin with salt and pepper. Then stick it in the oven at 450. I roast for 30 minutes, flip and roast another 15, flip back and another 15. It's usually about done by then, if not just let it go longer. The flipping's mostly for the skin, this way the skin on the bottom isn't too soggy--still not nice and crisp like on top but better. If you have a real oven and a rack you probably don't need to bother.

Do you find that you need to bother with poking and scoring to help render the fat or is it overkill?

rkl
Jan 8, 2012

Don't give me a jerkoff handjob.

knowonecanknow posted:

Thanks!

Everyone loves steak.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

Do you find that you need to bother with poking and scoring to help render the fat or is it overkill?

Oh yeah. I haven't made a duck in so long. :negative: I do score the skin too. Don't cut the meat, just through the skin. I've never tried without doing that so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Also of course adjust your times for the duck. An hour total at 450 is usually about right for the ones I get but keep an eye on it. At about 40 minutes you should probably start checking regularly.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 13, 2012

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

dms666 posted:

When cooking black beans, do I just mash some of them and combine them back into the pot to make a thicker consistency? I only tried making them once before and it seemed like they were more watery than thick like I have had in restaurants.

Yes, pretty much always do this.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

How well does cheat's fudge (i.e. the one made with condensed milk) freeze?

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
The first time I cooked duck (when I was quite a bit younger, and experimenting after a decade of being a vegetarian) - I followed a recipe, which said 'put a pan under the duck for collecting the fat' - I had no idea how much this would turn out to be, and was furiously siphoning it off with a baster, afraid of a stove fire. The pan I selected was barely over a cookie sheet, and not up to the job.

And then I threw out the fat, because in my vegetarian ignorance, no one had ever told me that it was basically kitchen gold. Welp.

bosko
Dec 13, 2006
I have a friend who's fairly a beginner cook. He just moved out and he loves all kinds of curry. I'd like to get him a house-warming gift that includes a great book plus some spices. Can anyone recommend a great book along these lines? There's just so many, hard to choose :(

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
How do you guys like to make pumpkin pie? I love pies and the flavor of pumpkin, but the density of it turns me off pretty quikcly. I'd like to experiment with fluffing it up a bit and/or making it creamier. Right now I haven't had any ideas other than whisking cream cheese and some heavy cream into the filling right before baking it; I have no idea if that will work or not.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I am very likely going up to Montreal, are there, like, any particular places I need to go for poutine? I'm not talking fancy poutine, I just mean good.
We're probably already going to go to au pied de cochon for our expensive coma meal, unless there's something that blows it out of the water?

bosko posted:

I have a friend who's fairly a beginner cook. He just moved out and he loves all kinds of curry. I'd like to get him a house-warming gift that includes a great book plus some spices. Can anyone recommend a great book along these lines? There's just so many, hard to choose :(

Forums member Dino has a great book with curries and whatnot. It's all vegan but I'm sure you can toss in some paneer or chicken or something into pretty much any of the curry recipes.
http://www.amazon.com/Alternative-Vegan-International-Straight-Produce/dp/1604865083/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1352827739&sr=8-3

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 13, 2012

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Zenzirouj posted:

How do you guys like to make pumpkin pie? I love pies and the flavor of pumpkin, but the density of it turns me off pretty quikcly. I'd like to experiment with fluffing it up a bit and/or making it creamier. Right now I haven't had any ideas other than whisking cream cheese and some heavy cream into the filling right before baking it; I have no idea if that will work or not.

If you're already adding cream cheese, why not look at recipes for a pumpkin cheesecake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Zenzirouj posted:

Whip a shitload of egg whites and fold that into the batter right before baking.