Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyeglass_prescription

Reading that will give a far better explanation than I ever could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

b0nes posted:

Also can an individual get in trouble if they post pictures of people in a hospital online? My aunt took photos of herself and some of her patient friends and posted them on Facebook, then her sister who works in a hospital said she had to take them down because she didn't get permission to post the photos and they were HIPA violations and she could get in trouble. I know maybe on a etiquette level maybe it isn't right but legally? I know people who work in hospitals can't do this.
You would need the patient's permission to take and post the pictures.

Which if your aunt is friends with them they probably gave her that permission. But the problem comes from the perception of a possible HIPAA violation that posting pictures like that creates. Or instead of problem I should say annoyance of having to deal with accusations of violating the law and proving that you had permission etc etc. So it's probably best to just not post them.

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

Totally TWISTED posted:

You would need the patient's permission to take and post the pictures.

Which if your aunt is friends with them they probably gave her that permission. But the problem comes from the perception of a possible HIPAA violation that posting pictures like that creates. Or instead of problem I should say annoyance of having to deal with accusations of violating the law and proving that you had permission etc etc. So it's probably best to just not post them.

This is not legal advice, of course, but as I understand it, HIPAA only affects covered entities. As long as the aunt is not one, HIPAA doesn't really have any teeth.

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/coveredentities/index.html

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
People have a tendency to toss "OH no! HIPAA violation" around a lot, because if you work in the field, it gets drilled into you six ways from Sunday that "Any potentially identifying material", transmitted or shared, digitally or through analog means, could possibly violate HIPAA.

If you work for insurance or medical research the HIPAA training can take weeks, but it boils down to "Don't give anyone anything that could identify a patient unless you have written permission to share said data with a trusted entity (other insurance agent, medical professional, etc.)"

I know where I worked that if a spouse called in asking about details on the account, if they were not the primary insured, and they were not listed as having control option on the account, I could not even provide the phone number on the account by their say so alone. But I'm derailing.

In short, if your aunt is friends with the people she took the pictures of, and the only people appearing in said pictures is your aunt and said friends, she's probably fine. Chances of any hospital getting in trouble for a couple friends taking staged pictures is approximately nil. Keep in mind all the people who take pictures of babies in hospitals. Aunts, uncles and grandparents are not being brought to justice for HIPAA violations by the dozens for snapping baby photos.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

lotor9530 posted:

This is not legal advice, of course, but as I understand it, HIPAA only affects covered entities. As long as the aunt is not one, HIPAA doesn't really have any teeth.

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/coveredentities/index.html
Reading this post and the one below it and then re-reading the original question. I think I mis-read, b0nes if your aunt doesn't work in healthcare (like I thought she did) then it is certainly* not a HIPAA violation.

*IANAL (just an EMT)

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
My mother is fixing to open her own restaurant and wants me to setup the security for it. There is going to be a bar in the establishment. She wants to keep a month worth of video if it financially feasible, but one week would do it.

If someone to redirect me to some helpful resources and/or possibly a thread on SA for this type of stuff would be helpful.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Under my phone insurance, I can drop a cell phone on a rock and break it, and they'll replace it.

I can drop the same phone into a toilet and they won't replace it because it was damaged due to water.

Why is water damage handled differently from all other damage?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Golbez posted:

Why is water damage handled differently from all other damage?

Plastic is slippery when wet, so you are most likely to drop your phone when you are around water in the first place. It's also a really convenient excuse to deny a bunch of returns since high humidity will trigger the sensors these days. Risk management and profitability: they explain everything insurance companies do.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
Not sure where else to ask this but...

Could someone please download "innounp037.rar" from this link and host it on Dropbox for me for like an hour until I can download it? I don't think this is breaking any sort of rules. It would be really helpful to me. It's not a virus or anything, just an unpacking tool thingy, Thanks!

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Is there some sort of legend for Google Maps that tell you what the different colors represent in map view (not in satellite view)?

For instance, the area of a city is a light shade of grey, but there are other shades of gray on unlabeled areas. Also, dark green represents national or state parks, but what are unlabeled light-green areas?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Brady posted:

Not sure where else to ask this but...

Could someone please download "innounp037.rar" from this link and host it on Dropbox for me for like an hour until I can download it? I don't think this is breaking any sort of rules. It would be really helpful to me. It's not a virus or anything, just an unpacking tool thingy, Thanks!

What kind of file is it then?

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

Eggplant Wizard posted:

What kind of file is it then?

It's an installation script. You don't even have to unpack it really. I just can't download from that website at work, but I know Dropbox works fine.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Brady posted:

It's an installation script. You don't even have to unpack it really. I just can't download from that website at work, but I know Dropbox works fine.

Nothing to see here!

Experto Crede fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 13, 2012

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

Thank you so much man, I really appreciate it.

Edit- Downloaded!

LiterallyAnything fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 13, 2012

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Brady posted:

Thank you so much man, I really appreciate it.

Edit- Downloaded!

That'll be :10bux: :colbert:

Kidding! Enjoy whatever that is

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
My girlfriend recently moved from Japan to California for an internship. I'm still living in Japan. We found a place online where she could rent a room in a house at a decent price.

Problem: The owner is an rear end in a top hat. He always follows her everywhere (outside the house as well), stops her every time she leaves her room, goes on racist rants, and apparently had a hissy fit when she said she wanted to buy a car.

There are also apparently cameras all over the house and another person living in the house suspects that there are listening devices too and plans to move out.

We're looking for another place for her to move to that she can afford.

This guy has her passport number, home address in Japan, and work address. She also apparently signed a lease agreement for him with a year, but gently caress that.

We want to get her out of there ASAP to somewhere she'll feel safe and not harassed. My idea is that we find her a place, she gets a (male, hopefully) coworker with a car to come and pick her up with her luggage, then without saying anything, take her to the new place.

She's worried that this guy will stalk her at work or jump her in the parking lot there -- apparently he's just that crazy. He's done it before -- followed her to the bank when she went to get a bank account and wouldn't leave.

She can't just call the police for him being creepy, can she? Plus, she's on an internship visa and has only been in America for a week now.

What the hell should we do?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

tarepanda posted:

Cameras and listening devices in her living area would definitely be grounds for lease termination as it's a severe invasion of privacy. She should definitely tell the police, with photographic evidence, that he has been following her and should probably also look at getting a high quality voice recorder to record any conversations that the owner tries to have with her(IANAL, check California law before recording someone without their knowledge as it may be illegal).

DO NOT just pack up and leave as this would be grounds for the owner to sue her especially if she just stopped paying rent.

Read over the lease and see if there is anything like a grace period or trial period. Some leases have these, some don't, this would be the easiest way to get out of the lease without any legal problems if you're still in the time frame.

If you get can out of the lease because of a grace period, if she sees the owner anywhere near her new residence or place of work and has no business being there she should call the police immediately.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 13, 2012

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

tarepanda posted:

My girlfriend recently moved from Japan to California for an internship. I'm still living in Japan. We found a place online where she could rent a room in a house at a decent price.

Problem: The owner is an rear end in a top hat. He always follows her everywhere (outside the house as well), stops her every time she leaves her room, goes on racist rants, and apparently had a hissy fit when she said she wanted to buy a car.

There are also apparently cameras all over the house and another person living in the house suspects that there are listening devices too and plans to move out.

We're looking for another place for her to move to that she can afford.

This guy has her passport number, home address in Japan, and work address. She also apparently signed a lease agreement for him with a year, but gently caress that.

We want to get her out of there ASAP to somewhere she'll feel safe and not harassed. My idea is that we find her a place, she gets a (male, hopefully) coworker with a car to come and pick her up with her luggage, then without saying anything, take her to the new place.

She's worried that this guy will stalk her at work or jump her in the parking lot there -- apparently he's just that crazy. He's done it before -- followed her to the bank when she went to get a bank account and wouldn't leave.

She can't just call the police for him being creepy, can she? Plus, she's on an internship visa and has only been in America for a week now.

Go to a police station, tell them exactly this. Also, document the cameras all over. I'm almost certain that a landlord can't have cameras facing anywhere but public areas.

Also she should talk to whoever sponsored the internship visa, as they're required to help her be enabled to fulfill her internship duties. This means that they need to make sure that she's properly housed, has transportation, food, etc. The company will be quite concerned about this, as they don't want to lose their sponsorship eligibility. The State Department is VERY concerned about predatory internships.

If the company doesn't put her in front of their lawyer and she's really worried about this guy stalking her (especially at work), then she might also go to a free legal clinic and see about a temporary restraining order.

SlayVus posted:

DO NOT just pack up and leave as this would be grounds for the owner to sue her especially if she just stopped paying rent.

Are you kidding? Get the hell out of there. She can decide whether or not to withhold rent at the end of the month, but she should most definitely pack her poo poo up and leave now. Claiming to the police that this guy is dangerous while simultaneously living there and paying rent for fear of small claims court is a silly proposition.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

SlayVus posted:

Cameras and listening devices in her living area would definitely be grounds for lease termination as it's a severe invasion of privacy. She should definitely tell the police, with photographic evidence, that he has been following her and should probably also look at getting a high quality voice recorder to record any conversations that the owner tries to have with her(IANAL, check California law before recording someone without their knowledge as it may be illegal).

Read over the lease and see if there is anything like a grace period or trial period. Some leases have these, some don't, this would be the easiest way to get out of the lease without any legal problems if you're still in the time frame.

If you get can out of the lease because of a grace period, if she sees the owner anywhere near her new residence or place of work and has no business being there she should call the police immediately.

Well, poo poo. I'm glad I asked. My gut instinct was terribly wrong.

Or terribly right. I do want her out of there ASAP. She'll talk to her boss tomorrow when she goes in to work.

1. The cameras aren't in her room, but they are in other places... would that count as "in her living area?"

2. Usually when he follows her, he's RIGHT ON her rear end under the guise of "helping" her. I personally don't think she should take pictures of him in that situation as it might aggravate things...

The guy never gave her a copy of the lease, so I don't know what it says.

How could she best get out of this situation and terminate the lease due to the privacy violations? She's Japanese, the guy is Japanese or second-generation. Her English is okay for most things, but not perfect, and she doesn't have a whole lot of money and her internship doesn't pay that well...

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 13, 2012

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

tarepanda posted:

1. The cameras aren't in her room, but they are in other places... would that count as "in her living area?"

What "other places"? Having cameras in the bathroom is way different from having them in the stairwell.

tarepanda posted:

2. Usually when he follows her, he's RIGHT ON her rear end under the guise of "helping" her. I personally don't think she should take pictures of him in that situation as it might aggravate things...

Have someone else do it, or do it yourself if you can. (Have her walk out to meet you, say, and photograph the behavior then.) It's not strictly necessary but it will bolster your case.

tarepanda posted:

The guy never gave her a copy of the lease, so I don't know what it says.

She needs to ask for one. If he refuses to provide it in a timely fashion, use that as further evidence of bad faith.

A court is going to want to see that you tried to resolve the matter with the landlord before you broke the lease (although I agree that in this case it may be justified). Whether or not she physically moves out of the apartment, you and she should talk to a bank about setting up an escrow account into which she can deposit any rent money she owes until this gets resolved. Make it clear to the landlord that as soon as the harassment stops, she'll authorize the release of the rent money.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush
You may also be able to get out of the lease if the landlord has not met all of the requirements of the property. For example: In some states the landlord must provide a dead bolt on all entry doors that has no key on the outside.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Not to distract from creepy landlord, but I have a question: can anyone identify this story, which is supposedly one of Aesop's fables? (I'm working out of two other languages into English here, so the translation's going to be a bit rough.)

A farmer captures a bird (possibly an eagle) in a net one day, but struck by its beauty, he lets it go. The bird takes off, thankful for the chance to be free again. Sometime later, the bird is flying past the farmer's fields and sees him relaxing up against a wall. Seeing that the wall is about to collapse, the bird dives down and steals the guy's hat, flying off into the fields with it while the farmer chases him down. Eventually the bird drops the hat and the farmer picks it up. Then he turns back around to go sit down again, sees that the wall he was resting against has collapsed, and realizes what the bird has done for him. The moral is something to the effect of "appreciate when others do good for you and try to repay the favor".

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Peasant and the Eagle

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

Not to distract from creepy landlord, but I have a question: can anyone identify this story, which is supposedly one of Aesop's fables? (I'm working out of two other languages into English here, so the translation's going to be a bit rough.)

A Peasant found an Eagle captured in a trap, and much admiring the bird, set him free. The Eagle did not prove ungrateful to his deliverer, for seeing the Peasant sitting under a wall which was not safe, he flew toward him and with his talons snatched a bundle from his head. When the Peasant rose in pursuit, the Eagle let the bundle fall again. Taking it up, the man returned to the same place, to find that the wall under which he had been sitting had fallen to pieces; and he marveled at the service rendered him by the Eagle.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

MassaShowtime posted:

Thanks to both of you!

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

tarepanda posted:

Living area could be defined as say a living area that is not communal. For example, if everyone on the property that has access to the same room it is communal. Any spaces inside her apartment that only she has access to are her living area. So there couldn't be a camera in her hallway if she had one or one in the kitchen if she has her own kitchen.

If the space is only meant for her use it should be considered a living space, except for example storage facilities provided by the landlord/manager located in a communal area like a basement.

IANAL

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

tarepanda posted:

1. The cameras aren't in her room

Why are you so sure of that? There are pretty small ones that can be easily hidden.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

I know this isn't necessarily the right place to post this, but for the life of me I can't remember where the 'lost stuff thread' is and I can't find it.

I'm trying to remember a story from, what I think were probably, the earlier days of SA.

The guy lost his job, except nobody at the company seemed to realize. The company had codes for each job title and his was accidentally reset to 0000 or something instead of deleted. 0000 was equivalent to safety monitor I think. There were several posts - spoilers in case people want to read it for themselves: in one he realized he could turn up to work and keep getting paid only now nobody expected anything of him. Then one where he decided to be a good safety monitor and put some striped tape on a wheelchair ramp. Eventually I think he was contacted by a person in another branch who was in an identical position. Anyone able to supply a link?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Captain_Indigo posted:

I know this isn't necessarily the right place to post this, but for the life of me I can't remember where the 'lost stuff thread' is and I can't find it.

I'm trying to remember a story from, what I think were probably, the earlier days of SA.

The guy lost his job, except nobody at the company seemed to realize. The company had codes for each job title and his was accidentally reset to 0000 or something instead of deleted. 0000 was equivalent to safety monitor I think. There were several posts - spoilers in case people want to read it for themselves: in one he realized he could turn up to work and keep getting paid only now nobody expected anything of him. Then one where he decided to be a good safety monitor and put some striped tape on a wheelchair ramp. Eventually I think he was contacted by a person in another branch who was in an identical position. Anyone able to supply a link?

The American Dream?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Captain_Indigo posted:

http://shii.org/knows/American_Dream

EDIT: goddammit

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

That's exactly it. Thanks both of you.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
What's the best way to recycle long tube fluorescent bulbs? The home improvement stores around here only take CFLs.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

What's the best way to recycle long tube fluorescent bulbs? The home improvement stores around here only take CFLs.

The mercury content of tubes with green or pink aluminum end caps and those labeled “low mercury,” “environmentally safe,” etc. can be placed into residential waste. A good safety measure is to wrap them in newspaper and secure with tape to protect the public and trash haulers.

Otherwise, http://www.scottelectricusa.com/ will take them at a buck a pop.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

Is it morally right to gay marry your friend so he can get citizenship? There's no compensation or anything like that involved, just one guy helping another guy out.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

GreenCard78 posted:

Is it morally right to gay marry your friend so he can get citizenship? There's no compensation or anything like that involved, just one guy helping another guy out.

Right or wrong I hope you like really invasive and personal interviews by the State department and then jail time when you get busted. Legit couples in serious, real long-term relationships are severely strained by the process and sometimes they are denied green cards too.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

I'm not going to do it, I guess I should have stated that. It's just a debate topic with a friend.

Edit: Dude's been in the country for like 10+ years and used to have citizenship, I'm not really sure on the details but it sounded like his parents overstayed their welcome and at 18 he lost his citizenship. He's been working and in school ever since but technically illegal.

Gonna throw this out here again, but I have zero intent on actually doing this, just a question and looking for other perspectives.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

ElwoodCuse posted:

Where is 'around here'?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

GreenCard78 posted:

That's neither a stupid nor a small question. The ethics of granting/denying/having/helping-someone-obtain citizenship is one huge debate that exists. Gay marriage is another one (sigh). Reasons for marriage altogether is yet another. So is the government's role in marriage. So is the very idea of marriage. I'm not going to start any of them right here because this is the stupid/small questions megathread.

But yeah, what greazeball said. Citizenship marriages are more complicated than they sound, from what I understand.

edit:

GreenCard78 posted:

Gonna throw this out here again, but I have zero intent on actually doing this, just a question and looking for other perspectives.
Gotcha. Still going to avoid fully biting on this one, but I'll say "yes."
Also I just noticed your username is GreenCard78, did you plan this?

alnilam fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 13, 2012

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GreenCard78 posted:

I don't really see a problem with it personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

alnilam posted:

That's neither a stupid nor a small question. The ethics of granting/denying/having/helping-someone-obtain citizenship is one huge debate that exists. Gay marriage is another one (sigh). Reasons for marriage altogether is yet another. So is the government's role in marriage. So is the very idea of marriage. I'm not going to start any of them right here because this is the stupid/small questions megathread.

Yeah, it is pretty complicated. It's a serious issue for my friend, we joke about it from time to time but that would never happen. I feel bad because I think many posters remember the guy in California who was sent back to Mexico at the age of 29 but was pretty American by most standards, paid his dudes with school and college and a generally all around hardworking dude. My friend's like that but came around ~10, not 2 or 3 and is only 22. He's paid his dues himself, hardworking and is generally stuck in a lovely situation. Maybe he'll use the DREAM Act but even for many immigrants, that's still a hefty cost. Maybe he'll just go home.

He'll probably do what many other Americans do in their 20s and bitch about their job. One day he'll be taken away in the night by an ICE raid. He won't even have time to put his shoes on and that will be the time he realizes he's going home to a place he won't recognize.

alnilam posted:

Gotcha. Still going to avoid fully biting on this one, but I'll say "yes."
Also I just noticed your username is GreenCard78, did you plan this?

Hahaha, no, but I just realized this. It's a joke on my Mexican background.

Anyways, this is the small/stupid questions megathread so I'm not going to be responding to any more questions about this topic and I encourage other users to do the same!