Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Who would bid Ted Williams for Vlad Guerrero? Oh well, updating this bid to attempt to get someone else...

For '66 Frank Robinson I bid:
code:
'76 Jay Johnstone
'76 Dick Allen
'76 Ron Underwood
'72 Lindy McDaniel
'72 Fred Beene
'72 Horace Clark
'95 Tony Fernandez
'95 Bernie Williams
'95 Deryll Strawberry
1 Ratings Challenge 

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

-quote is not edit-
That's what I get for posting from my phone.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Super-Auction

You have to bid specific players, you can't just bid every player on your feeders for someone!

Players on the auction block

Catchers
'98 Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez (Ineligible for 16 days in the Super-League)
Current Bid: '99 Jose Canseco and '99 Fred McGriff (OXB)
'06 Bengie "Not as good as Yadier, better than Jose" Molina
Current Bid: '40 Birdie Tebbetts (CHO)
'11 Jack "Action" Lapp
Current Bid: '18 Slim Love (LUN)

First Basemen
'64 Harmon "Killer" Killebrew
Current Bid: '05 Sterling Hitchcock, '95 Don Mattingly, '95 Jack McDowell, '72 Felipe Alou, '72 Steve Kline, '76 Bob Boone, 1 Ratings Challenge (HAR)
'09 Travis "Pronk" Hafner
Current Bid: '05 Jeff Bagwell, '92 Rheal Cormier (PHF)

Second Basemen
'11 Larry "El Zilcho" Gardner
Current Bid: '68 Jim Rooker, '04 Freddie Sanchez (WEB)
'34 Odell "Bad News" Hale
Current Bid: '32 Estel Crabtree (WEB)
'10 "Thunder" Jim Delahanty
Current Bid: '90 Gary Gaetti (WEB)
'68 Dick "The Downward Spiral" McAuliffe
Current Bid: '68 Dick McAuliffe (WEB)

Third Basemen
'85 Wade "Wade" Boggs
Current Bid: '84 Rick Sutcliffe, 3rd round dispersal draft pick, '28 George Sisler, '74 Charlie Hough, '77 Rico Carty (SJE)
'96 "Doomsday" Matt Williams
Current Bid: '70 Lou Brock, '10 David Aardsma and '98 Bill Spiers (NOM)
'11 David "Deep" Freese
Current Bid: '00 Barry Zito and 1 Ratings Challenge (CHO)
'09 "The Fall of" Troy Glaus
Current Bid: '05 Dan Wheeler (PHF)

Shortstops
'97 Derek "Gift Basket" Jeter (Ineligible for 33 days in the Super-League)
Current Bid: '82 Robin Yount and '65 Bob Allison (CUN)
'09 Jhonny "Spell Check" Peralta
Current Bid: '92 Todd Zeile (PHF)

Left Fielders
'66 Frank "The Thunder God" Robinson
Current Bid: '85 Paul Molitor and '78 Dave Parker (POR)

Center Fielders
'01 Andruw "Name Not Found" Jones (Ineligible for remainder of Super-League VII)
Current Bid: '64 Jackie Brandt, '68 Jim Northup (WEB)
'06 Vernon "Not the dude from Mad Max" Wells
Current Bid: 2 Ratings Challenges (PHF)
'19 Happy "The Gambling Man" Felsch
Current Bid: '19 Charlie Hollocher (PHF)
'54 Larry "The Team Killer" Doby
Current Bid: 3rd Round Dispersal Draft Pick (NOM)

Right Fielders
'03 Vladimir "How does a walk work?" Guerrero
Current Bid: '39 Ted Williams (GOG)
'75 Dwight "Mr. Naptime" Evans
Current Bid: '92 Andres Galarraga, '11 Clay Buchholz, '19 Claude Hendrix

Starting Pitching
'41 Bucky "Buckford" Walters
Current Bid: '55 Eddie Yost and 1 Ratings Challenge (DUB)
'06 Roy "Doc" Halladay
Current Bid: '64 Jim Bouton, '57 Frank Sullivan, 1 Ratings Challenge (NEA)
'06 A.J. "Depression that Walks like a man" Burnett
Current Bid: '68 Les Cain, '04 Ryan Vogelsong (WEB)
'66 Steve "Sting" Carlton
Current Bid: '97 Larry Walker, '70 Thurman Munson, and '78 Dennis Leonard (LUN)
'98 David "Flash-man" Cone
Current Bid: '66 Brooks Robinson (GOG)
'09 Chris "gently caress the Cardinals" Carpenter
Current Bid: '91 George Bell (CHO)
'78 John "The Candy Man" Candelaria
Current Bid: '05 Wandy Rodriguez (PHF)

Relievers
'61 Stan "A Man" Williams
Current Bid: '89 Jeff Montgomery (RYL)
'01 John "I love New York" Rocker
Current Bid: '04 Salomon Torres, '04 Oliver Perez (WEB)
'86 "The Eternal" Jesse Orosco
Current Bid: '04 Jose Bautista, '90 Brian Harper, a bunch of poo poo that I'm not going to waste my time giving to the Superstars anyway (WEB)
'06 B.J. "The Beej" Ryan
Current Bid: '78 Bill Lee (GOG)
'78 Tug "Tugglesworth" McGraw
Current Bid: '11 Chief Bender (GOG)
'09 Jason "Applesauce" Motte
Current Bid: '64 Joe Adcock and 1 Ratings Challenge (NOM)
'90 Dan "Don Pleasance" Plesac
Current Bid: '98 Bernie Williams (GOG)
'11 "Dead Man" Joaquin Benoit
Current Bid: '32 Ownie Carroll (WEB)

TKBomber7285
Feb 20, 2011

Might as well throw a floater out there and offer 1989 Jim Corsi for '61 Stan Williams

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
1910 Addie Joss, 1929 Bernie Friberg, & 2011 Jimmy Rollins for 1997 Derek Jeter.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Don't get angry at them, they're just going the time-honored Baseball Mogul route of "pile up the crap until the AI agrees to trade you Albert Pujols"

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

0/2 on the outfield bat. But I would really like an outfield bat.

For '01 Andruw Jones I bid:
code:
'76 Jay Johnstone
'76 Dick Allen
'72 Horace Clark
1 Ratings Challenge 

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

mks5000 posted:

0/2 on the outfield bat. But I would really like an outfield bat.

For '01 Andruw Jones I bid:
code:
'76 Jay Johnstone
'76 Dick Allen
'72 Horace Clark
1 Ratings Challenge 

Doby is better and cheaper than Andruw "Jhonny" Jones. e: while better, still not actually good.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Bidding '98 Chris Holt, and '70 Jose Cardenal for Jhonny Peralta, '98 Derek Bell and '70 Jose Cruz for Larry Gardner, '70 Mike Torres, '70 Reggie Cleveland, and '64 Fred Newman for AJ Burnett. Still thinking whether I want to go stupid on Vlad or Frank Robinson.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

BrooklynBruiser posted:

1910 Addie Joss, 1929 Bernie Friberg, & 2011 Jimmy Rollins for 1997 Derek Jeter.

Let's start this update off on a lighter note! Okay, '10 Joss is months away from death, which makes me think the Mogul engine won't treat him well, so I'm skeptical about him. I know a ton about baseball but have never heard of Bernie Friberg, and that strikes me as a red flag. Finally, there's Jimmy Rollins who in 2011 had a OPS+ of 101.

The current bid is 1982 AL MVP Robin Yount and useful bench/platoon piece Bob Allison. I'm going to stick with that, Bruzer.

Games of the Week

Super-League VII, Dynamo League Week 25: Auctions For Dummies

Don May posted:

IMPERIALISTS CLINCH MEMENTO MORI DIVISION WITH 3-2 WIN OVER ORANGES

Mandalay- The Imperialists are, for the second straight year, the Memento Mori Division Champions.

Viscount Slim, who is now guaranteed survival into Super-League VIII as well as a first-round meeting with the Rockford Losers, laughed off suggestions that his accomplishment was diminished because the Memento Mori was the weakest division in the Dynamo League, "The placement of the Imperialists in the Memento Mori Division is not something I control, that's up to Smasher Dynamo. What I will say is that there were many of who thought that the Postmodernists were going to swoop in and run away with this division. Instead, they turned in a campaign of Denny Rainwater and failure. The Bulldogs? Ah, yes, TKBomber's brilliant gambit to try and cheat his way back into the playoffs? The net result? Perhaps, if he is lucky, his team might just survive to once more face the Imperialists next year, where, I would think, they will not suddenly become ten games better than they are now. And the Saints..." the Viscount chuckled, "Not every man is suited to command, whether over an army of a Super-League team."

"Not them, to the matter at hand, those savages that call themselves the Rockford Losers. I know that the common man's wisdom tells us that the Losers, with their superior record and home-field advantage, will be the prohibitive favorites. That the Imperialists, while talented, simply do not have the talent to compete. Perhaps, over the course of a 162 game season, that is so. But this series will not be the best-of-162, or the best-of-70, or even the best-of-7, it is a best-of-five. And I ask, even if the Losers are just a tiny bit better than us, what good is that over but five games? Chance, in a series that short, only chance matters, a flip of the coin, a roll of dice, that is all that is left for us now. I have done my part to bring the Imperialists a championship, now it will be the fortune, that mistress both harsh and kind, who will guide our fair squad henceforth. Nothing more can be done."

Viscount Slim, on his way out, then added, "I would not waste my time talking to oldskool, last I saw him, he was drinking a bottle of Absinthe I had bought him as a gift, and appeared, shall we way, out of speaking condition. Some men take defeats hard."

Box Score

Don May posted:

DERVISHES ROUT BANGERS 10-4

Fukuoka- In a preview of an upcoming first-round series, the Dervishes emphatically showed why they believe they should be the favorites, thrashing the Bangers 10-4 in Fukuoka.

Burleigh Grimes, though only semi-effective, pitched a complete game as the Dervishes' offense slashed Nolan Ryan for nine runs in only three innings, leading to serious questions about the fitness of the Bangers' ace to face the Dervishes in the playoffs. Beet, none for his terseness and commitment to team defense, waved his hand at questions and said only "soon".

Marauder, on the other hand, wouldn't stop talking, "Now the perception of the common man is that Richard III was the greatest schemer in Shakespeare's histories, or at least of the two tetralogies. I never agreed with that. Richard III, for all of his bluster and taunting, is caught out as a schemer in the first act, when Anne Neville sees through him. By the middle of the play, there is hardly a man in England that does not know of his villainy, and, in the end, his multiplicity of schemes cause his downfall. What did all of his plans get him? A brief reign that is remembered little more as a launching pad for his usurper's own glory. No, I should think he is not much of a puppetmaster at all."

"Ah, but Henry Boilingbroke from Richard II! That is a man to model your career after. He usurps the rightful king, a man who no one is able to deny is legitimate and has, through dynastic right, earned the throne. He does this, and, by the end, he has supplanted Richard II, and taken the throne for him and his own progeny. That is offspring squandered that opportunity cannot...oh, I'm sorry, you wanted me to talk about the game? Because this game was so unimportant to me that I spent the entirety of it pondering the relative efficacies of various fictional characters' ability at intrigue. This game meant nothing. The playoffs will prove that, as always, the Finger-Bangers are the superior team. Until then, I'd rather devote my energy at figuring out whether Hotspur was truly an effective foil for Prince Hal."

Box Score

Don May posted:

SMASHER DYNAMO TRIES RECAPPING SUPERBAS-DAYDREAMERS GAME, HATES LIFE

Barrow-in-Furness- In a game that really, really, really, really, really sucked and had no bearing on anything, the Superbas won and Smasher Dynamo wondered how the hell his life had gone so loving wrong.

The real hero was Mark McGwire, who hit a two-run home run in the ninth inning to give the Superbas the final lead of the game. Another hero was whatever synapses are so misaligned in Smasher Dynamo's brain that make him think that spending hours upon hours writing these recaps, which are read by probably about fifteen people, is a productive use of his time, even if, because he sucks that badly, he has nothing better to do with his time.

Neftali Feliz then pitched a scoreless ninth to pick up the save, a thrilling conclusion to a game that moved the Superbas...nowhere as they are still slated to participate in the first round of the Gauntlet, as they have been for as long as those standings have been projected.

Smasher Dynamo, thus suitably depressed that another few minutes of his life had been wasted on this metafictional writeup, then spent several minutes pondering the most dismissive way he could write the Juggernauts' obit, as that is now the only thing that can give him solace.

Box Score

Team Standings

Analysis

Still technically alive, but with no real shot of making the playoffs or getting sent to the Gauntlet, meaning that I'll see you guys next season, just in time for your finals!

Analysis

I'm curious to see how your healed rotation does in the Gauntlet. Maddux/Wood/Glavine/Jenkins seems the way to go.

Analysis

Edmonds and Bagwell could probably use the next week off to keep them fresh for the playoffs.

Analysis

This is going to be a hell of a Gauntlet run, isn't it?

Analysis

Almost time for the playoffs!

Analysis

No more Joba!

Analysis

A bad week that, well, didn't really matter at all.

Analysis

I want to believe, Archie Goodwin, I want to believe. I'm just sure that I do.

Analysis

Coburns!

Analysis

Well, at least you'll get to keep the Intercontinental Title until the bitter end.

Analysis

You need a good final week or you're heading to the Gauntlet.

Analysis

At least it's almost over.

Analysis

Well, kw0134, you've done it, the Generics are almost guaranteed a third season of life.

Analysis

Still cruising. Youk will be back for the playoffs, I think.

Analysis

Good luck in the last round of the Gauntlet.

Analysis

Not a terrible season, but it looks like the Corporate Teams experiment will not survive the season.

Standings and Leaders

Playoffs/Gauntlet Picture

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Time to make a bunch of silly lineup/rotation changes to ensure my top players are rested for the playoffs.

New lineup vs RHP:
2B Rose
RF Raines
C Torre/Martinez
1B Thomas
LF O'Doul
CF Oliva
SS Tejada
3B Ventura
P Pitcher

The vs LHP lineup can stay however it was previously arranged.

Modifying the starting rotation so my 4 playoff starters are all on extra rest. Ensure Koosman starts the first game against the Imperialists and work on from there.
SP1 Koosman
SP2 Sabathia
SP3 Fernandez
SP4 Breechen
SP5 O'Toole

Make Arthur Rhodes my long reliever for the week.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Joba back to long relief, and LSDock Ellis into the rotation at #3 for the hell of it.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It's the final week so let's just ride Garciaparra until he breaks down. Put Goose Goslin back in LF because why not. I can plan the third season when that time comes.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Doby is better and cheaper than Andruw "Jhonny" Jones. e: while better, still not actually good.

Yeah I know, but I like Andruw's glove and dingers a bit too much.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 13, 2012

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Good News, Everyone!

Well, it's really only good news for me, but, still, it's pretty good.

The Super-Auction ends tomorrow at midnight (Central Standard Time)

So put in those last bids while you still have the chance!

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Wait, tomorrow at midnight meaning in a couple of hours? Or 24ish hours from now?

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

tatankatonk posted:

Wait, tomorrow at midnight meaning in a couple of hours? Or 24ish hours from now?

24ish hours.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Analysis

Jugo isn't a real player, but Sherm Lollar is doing most of the work and he's pretty good

Analysis

Whitness the gap between an EC team and a SL team.

Analysis

Your guys are all tired because you have 28 games straight with no breaks.

Analysis

Your guys are all tired because you have 30 games straight with no breaks. Maybe platoon a few. You need to replace salty but you know that, wait for the draft. Despite ancient clemens your rotation is doing great! Just be aware he has approximately a 15% chance of having a season ending injury in a season.

Analysis

Your guys are well rested. You can probably get into the division lead in the next month. You atually had it for a while then dropped away, but you'll get it back no problem.

Analysis

Your division is horrible that successful tanking is assured.

Analysis

Babe ruth is pretty good hey. Your infield is diabolic.

Analysis

Mike Trout is coming around. In his last 13 at bats he had 10 hits with two dingers. Just leave bonds in the lineup, not worth taking him out for 4 days.

Analysis

OK you have two good 3B guys. Your homework is to look through the SL teams and the EC teams and tell me how many of them have a good 3B guy. Once you discover the answer is like, 3, please sell one of your 3B guys for some good stuff. Or wait until after the EC and then sell him once everyone notices their 3B guy is still loving terrible.

Analysis

Did you know that Chuck Klein is one of the biggest home field advantage guys ever? The game is telling me he needs time off. I don't care, but you might.

Analysis

Jug isn't a real player - but Brenly is better as the backup for Lollar who's doing 90% of the work. Your division is a nightmare, so just take it easy for a better draft pick.

Analysis

I think you've got this. Now stop with the lineup changes. More seriously, just leave milt Pappas in, he'll resume his spot and the LR guy will take his starts until then. Also Babe Herman can play RF, which might help your forward planning.

Analysis

Great team. Amusingly, Riggs has broken his kneecap in a baserunning accident in an exact parallel with history. Fortunately for you though, no permanent damage has been done.

Analysis

Yeah, you know what the problems are.

Analysis

Platoon Moorse and Paul at 1B. You can still get this.

Analysis

Mike back and Scott out, hope for a good pick imho.

Analysis

Your team doesn't need much to be great, but unfortunately the tornados are already great. Tough beat.

Analysis

Your bats are fresh, your rotation is good and you're 3 games ahead with 2 months to go. Savour it.

Analysis

I guess Bouton in for Ruffing? No good though, but then agan, a good pick is assured.

Ichiro desperately needs some time off.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Nov 13, 2012

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

New lineup while Raines and Dawson are sore:
    CF Mel Ott
    RF Bobby Thomson
    1B Eddie Murray
    LF Billy Williams
    3B Ron Santo
    C Gary Carter
    DH Ken Singleton
    SS Cal Ripken
    2B Buddy Blattner

Monicro fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 13, 2012

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Thank the lord. I can finally bench Bernie Williams. Also I suppose I should rest Wade Boggs so he is fresh in the event I make the playoffs.

CALL UP:
Garry Maddox
Dave Cash
Mel Stottlemyre

CALL DOWN:
Randy Valverde
Roy White
Jim Lonborg

RHP
1. DH Jorge Posada
2. C Thurman Munson
3. 3B Mike Schmidt
4. LF Greg Luzinski
5. CF Bobby Murcer
6. RF Paul O'Neill
7. 2B Dave Cash
8. SS Larry Bowa
9. 1B Don Mattingly

LHP
1. CF Gary Maddox
2. C Thurman Munson
3. 3B Mike Schmidt
4. LF Greg Luzinski
5. DH Jorge Posada
6. RF Paul O'Neill
7. 2B Dave Cash
8. SS Derek Jeter
9. 1B Don Mattingly

Mel Stottlemyre in for Long Relief.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Nov 13, 2012

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Replace Mike Hampton with Cliff Lee for the time being.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Would it be okay for me to do the Juggernaut Challenge on the gauntlet, where I start at the bottom, and have to win the entire gauntlet each round to survive?
I kinda want to do that. Doesn't even have to be for any reward.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

Welcome to the jungle, Losers! You're gonna...suffer from malariaaahhhh.

Rest everyone! Ish.

LF Hisle
CF Averill
C Alomar
1B Fiske
RF Drew
SS Renteria
3B Williams
2B Money

(from the top, not from next to pitch)
SP McDowell
SP Morris
SP Feller
SP Messersmith
SP Appier

LR Williams

Thanks! I can't really afford to lose anyone at this juncture. Also, this is probably the worst lineup in Super League history.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Hmm. Is there any way you can set it to use backup players more often, while keeping the lineup the same, if every starter is getting sore and tired from that 28-game slugfest?

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Call up Ryan Roberts, put him at 3B, demote whoever the hell Leon Grave is

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

When Crawford is healthy, send him down to the minors.

New lineup vs. RHP:

1. 2B - Dustin Pedroia
2. LF - Jacoby Ellsbury
3. RF - Lance Berkman
4. DH - David Ortiz
5. 1B - Adrian Gonzalez
6. CF - Ray Lankford
7. 3B - Kevin Youkilis
8. SS - Ozzie Smith
9. C - Bob O'Farrell

and vs. LHP:

1. 3B - Kevin Youkilis
2. LF - Bernard Gilkey
3. RF - Lance Berkman
4. DH - David Ortiz
5. 1B - Adrian Gonzalez
6. CF - Jacoby Ellsbury
7. 2B - Craig Biggio
8. SS - Ozzie Smith
9. C - Jarrod Saltalamacchia

And another pair of bids:

2011 Carl Crawford and 1992 Bob Tewksbury for Stan Williams
1992 Mike Perez for Joaquin Benoit

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Thought i'd posted, but in checking I haven't. Morgan back in for Gordon, please.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Yes, I guess Bouton gets to come in for Ruffing. For 10 days only!

Other changes:

Bring in Piersall for Mantle and Jensen for Maris until the starters feel a bit more chipper (ie. until they're not sore any more).

Let Valentin play 2nd until Snuffy is fit again, and Malzone covers 3rd. And Etten to 1B until Mo recovers.

Ugh, what this does to the hitting isn't worth thinking about. Piersall hits in Mantle's spot, and Valentin leads off, otherwise it'll be Jensen 6 - Malzone 7 - Etten 8 - Catcher 9.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

How big of a miracle is it that my 37 year old Jim Kaat is pitching as well as he is? I want to have realistic expectations when we move from te EC to the Super League.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-Auction

You have to bid specific players, you can't just bid every player on your feeders for someone!

Players on the auction block

Catchers
'98 Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez (Ineligible for 16 days in the Super-League)
Current Bid: '99 Jose Canseco and '99 Fred McGriff (OXB)
'06 Bengie "Not as good as Yadier, better than Jose" Molina
Current Bid: '40 Birdie Tebbetts (CHO)
'11 Jack "Action" Lapp
Current Bid: '18 Slim Love (LUN)

First Basemen
'64 Harmon "Killer" Killebrew
Current Bid: '05 Sterling Hitchcock, '95 Don Mattingly, '95 Jack McDowell, '72 Felipe Alou, '72 Steve Kline, '76 Bob Boone, 1 Ratings Challenge (HAR)
'09 Travis "Pronk" Hafner
Current Bid: '05 Jeff Bagwell, '92 Rheal Cormier (PHF)

Second Basemen
'11 Larry "El Zilcho" Gardner
Current Bid: '68 Jim Rooker, '04 Freddie Sanchez (WEB)
'34 Odell "Bad News" Hale
Current Bid: '32 Estel Crabtree (WEB)
'10 "Thunder" Jim Delahanty
Current Bid: '90 Gary Gaetti (WEB)
'68 Dick "The Downward Spiral" McAuliffe
Current Bid: '68 Dick McAuliffe (WEB)

Third Basemen
'85 Wade "Wade" Boggs
Current Bid: '84 Rick Sutcliffe, 3rd round dispersal draft pick, '28 George Sisler, '74 Charlie Hough, '77 Rico Carty (SJE)
'96 "Doomsday" Matt Williams
Current Bid: '70 Lou Brock, '10 David Aardsma and '98 Bill Spiers (NOM)
'11 David "Deep" Freese
Current Bid: '00 Barry Zito and 1 Ratings Challenge (CHO)
'09 "The Fall of" Troy Glaus
Current Bid: '05 Dan Wheeler (PHF)

Shortstops
'97 Derek "Gift Basket" Jeter (Ineligible for 33 days in the Super-League)
Current Bid: '82 Robin Yount and '65 Bob Allison (CUN)
'09 Jhonny "Spell Check" Peralta
Current Bid: '98 Chris Holt, '70 Jose Cardenal, '98 Derek Bell, and '70 Reggie Cleveland (NOM)

Left Fielders
'66 Frank "The Thunder God" Robinson
Current Bid: '85 Paul Molitor and '78 Dave Parker (POR)

Center Fielders
'01 Andruw "Name Not Found" Jones (Ineligible for remainder of Super-League VII)
Current Bid: '64 Jackie Brandt, '68 Jim Northup (WEB)
'06 Vernon "Not the dude from Mad Max" Wells
Current Bid: 2 Ratings Challenges (PHF)
'19 Happy "The Gambling Man" Felsch
Current Bid: '19 Charlie Hollocher (PHF)
'54 Larry "The Team Killer" Doby
Current Bid: 3rd Round Dispersal Draft Pick (NOM)

Right Fielders
'03 Vladimir "How does a walk work?" Guerrero
Current Bid: '39 Ted Williams (GOG)
'75 Dwight "Mr. Naptime" Evans
Current Bid: '92 Andres Galarraga, '11 Clay Buchholz, '19 Claude Hendrix

Starting Pitching
'41 Bucky "Buckford" Walters
Current Bid: '55 Eddie Yost and 1 Ratings Challenge (DUB)
'06 Roy "Doc" Halladay
Current Bid: '64 Jim Bouton, '57 Frank Sullivan, 1 Ratings Challenge (NEA)
'06 A.J. "Depression that Walks like a man" Burnett
Current Bid: '70 Mike Torres, '70 Reggie Cleveland, '64 Fred Newman, and '70 Jose Cruz (NOM)
'66 Steve "Sting" Carlton
Current Bid: '97 Larry Walker, '70 Thurman Munson, and '78 Dennis Leonard (LUN)
'98 David "Flash-man" Cone
Current Bid: '66 Brooks Robinson (GOG)
'09 Chris "gently caress the Cardinals" Carpenter
Current Bid: '91 George Bell (CHO)
'78 John "The Candy Man" Candelaria
Current Bid: '05 Wandy Rodriguez (PHF)

Relievers
'61 Stan "A Man" Williams
Current Bid: '11 Carl Crawford and '92 Bob Tewksbury (PHF)
'01 John "I love New York" Rocker
Current Bid: '04 Salomon Torres, '04 Oliver Perez (WEB)
'86 "The Eternal" Jesse Orosco
Current Bid: '04 Jose Bautista, '90 Brian Harper, a bunch of poo poo that I'm not going to waste my time giving to the Superstars anyway (WEB)
'06 B.J. "The Beej" Ryan
Current Bid: '78 Bill Lee (GOG)
'78 Tug "Tugglesworth" McGraw
Current Bid: '11 Chief Bender (GOG)
'09 Jason "Applesauce" Motte
Current Bid: '64 Joe Adcock and 1 Ratings Challenge (NOM)
'90 Dan "Don Pleasance" Plesac
Current Bid: '98 Bernie Williams (GOG)
'11 "Dead Man" Joaquin Benoit
Current Bid: '92 Mike Perez (PHF)

Smasher Dynamo fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 13, 2012

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Dynamo League Week 26 Injury Report

To the surprise of no one, Fukuoka clinches the Sic Transit Vir Division

Burma Imperialists
Earl Averill (CF) (Torn Hamstring) - Out for Season

Dubai Dervishes
Pedro Borbon (RP) (Bourbon) - 16 days

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Smasher, why do you like Noted Terrible Pitcher Slim Love so much? :smith:

Anyway I'll bid a challenge on Jack Lapp.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Mornacale posted:

Smasher, why do you like Noted Terrible Pitcher Slim Love so much? :smith:

Anyway I'll bid a challenge on Jack Lapp.

Slim Love is the man, and you'd be best served remembering that.

Also, since the Dynamo League is finished simming the regular season, and the Smasher League only has one week left to go, the following teams are definitely safe for next season:

Fukuoka
Dubai
Rockford
Burma
Rochester
Antarctica
Chicago
Luna
South Bolton
Ryleh
Finger Lakes

Also, barring a complete collapse in the final week, Oxbridge is almost definitely going to be safe as well.

So, anyone not on that list, starting preparing your roster for the Gauntlet.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
drat, there goes a major part of my bullpen for most of the playoffs. Ah well, I guess we'll have to find out if Clay Carroll could have done better given more than 1.2 IP over the season.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Let's try these bids again

Bidding '98 Chris Holt, '70 Jose Cardenal, '98 Derek Bell, and '70 Reggie Cleveland for Jhonny Peralta, and '70 Mike Torres, '70 Reggie Cleveland, '64 Fred Newman, and '70 Jose Cruz for AJ Burnett.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
And finally, '70 Ted Simmons and '98 Carl Everett for Frank Robinson

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Okay, this seems to be causing some confusion, so

Cthulhu Dream's guide to using old, tired and sore position players and pitchers

Players fall into 7 approximate categories

A) Catchers, Old position players (32 or older) or very unhealthy position players (for a definition of unhealthy see the carer of Stephenson riggs).
B) 'Middle aged' position players (26-31 or so)
C) Young position players (24 or less)

D) Old pitchers (32 or more or so)
E) Other pitchers

F) Any sort of relievers.

F, E and C need no particular management you can just stuff them in the lineup and you'll be gold, so I will not address them today. The other categories do to a greater lesser extent need some love and attention

Old Pitchers

It's important to note that the age that triggers 'old' depends on the length of the guys career. If the guy pitched successfully in the bigs until he was 48, he's not going to be 'old' at 34. If he retired at 35 however, the age 34 is gonna need some caution.

However managing old pitchers is relatively easy. Don't start on short rest and keep the pitch counts down. If you can have them in the 5th starter slot without fatally compromising your rotation do that so they get a week off now and then. Younger rotations can obviously have more strain placed on the arm. Obviously old rotations will need better bullpen support.

What does tired and sore mean?

Tired: Tired just means that the guy needs a day off in the next week or two. One day of rest is sufficent to cure tired (typically). Look at the up coming schedule. If he's got a day off, you're probably fine. It does not impact player performance.

Sore: Sore decreases the players performance and increases the injury chance. Basically what typically happens if you keep playing a sore guy is he sucks for a week or so then suffers a minor injury, comes out of the lineup for a few days to a week (suffering from wrist soreness or something) then goes back in. They can suffer a more significant injury but that is unlikely. These guys need a couple of days off to recover.

How does catching, DHing and playing the field impact a players fatigue?

The way fatigue works is that players have a fatigue score. The fatigue score increases for each inning played in the field, catching and as a DH. Each day passing removes a certain amount of fatigue, and a day off removes more. When fatigue exceeds thresholds related to their health score they need time off. Catching adds much more fatigue than playing a position. DHing adds much less fatigue than playing a position.

When should I take a tired or sore player out of the lineup?

Basically never, particularly if they are noticeably better than their backup. Just platoon them, and consider turning up the use defensive substitution sliders. This has the effect of giving the guy some time off, recovering from his conidition, but keeps the bat in the lineup.

Old players, Catchers and platooning

The long and short of it is these guys need regular days off, and must be somehow platooned. However, they don't actually need that much time off. Missing one start a week off will effectively ensure an old position player never gets tired. Similarly, cycling a guy through the designated hitter slot will ensure he doesn't get tired until deep into the season.

Example: I have a 33 year old Rodger Hornsby (who is 'old' because he perpetually struggled to say in the lineup) playing 2B against Righties and DH against lefties. This prevented him from getting 'tired' until the last weeks of the season. Similarly my ancient Stan Musial was playing 1B against righties and riding the pine against lefties and never got tired either. Use platoons and move old players through DH to manage their fatigue.

Old Catchers however need lots of time off. The game works of a baseline of 28 year old position players managing 150ish games a year and 28 year old catchers managing 100 games a year. As old catchers can do less work than young catchers, old catchers can only be expected to pick up at most half your catching workload. Basically you have to platoon your catchers. If your main catcher is young and healthy having someone as personal catcher for one starter is fine, but if he's not both of these things, I prefer having my backup catch two guys.

If your catcher is a really dynamic hitter, you can use him in other positions on his day off to minimize fatigue. But really, catchers need regular rest.

Middle aged players

These guys can play ever day probably, they'll only need a day off in a really tough stretch, like something with 28 games straight. However, they will only need 1 day off or so, so don't take them out of the lineup! Just platoon them with their backup for a week or two, then scrap the platoon.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 13, 2012

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
And finally, make the Mashers' rotation Johnson-Gibson-Carlton-Chance-Hernandez.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-League VII, Smasher League Week 25: ENDENDENDENDENDENDENDENDENDENDENDEND

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

MOOGS BEAT JUGGS 4-3 IN FINAL BATTLE

Juneau- Seven seasons ago, when the Super-League was in its first season, and the Super-League seemed worthwhile, the Mooglies and the Juggernauts were both promising young franchises. They both finished a strong second in their divisions, and it seemed like each team had a world of potential.

Seven seasons later, the two teams have combined for zero championships, zero division titles, and zero wins in the playoffs.

Suffice to say, they have been great disappointments.

The Goog, who kept his Mooglies in retirement for six seasons, only to disassemble them immediately after bringing the team back for Super-League VII, still believes that a winning Gauntlet run is a possibility, "I have been to the space between universes created by the dreams of all beings in the universe, and I have met with the King of Love who has told me that the story of the Mooglies is not yet over! We still have one more chance to preach our message of cosmic love and take the Earth into a galaxy of spirituality. The Gauntlet is where we'll make our last stand, the last stand for the Prince of Googopolis and his message of transcendental funk. I know, in my three-and-half hearts, that we a destined to save everyone from the hyper-nihilism of the modern age, no matter how many rounds in the Gauntlet we have to win. I put my faith in Bender and Bender and Wood and Wood, and that will be enough or not."

As for factorialite, he was not as hopeful, and much, much more bitter, "Smasher wanted my team to fail from the start because I'm the only owner that doesn't put up with his bullshit. While he's sitting at home, drinking his Fresca and rigging the results against my team, I'm out there, living my real life, with my real family and friends. Frankly, I don't have the time to waste of Smasher's stupid league anymore, and so I don't even mind the fact that he's totally going to screw my team in the Gauntlet just like he's nerfed the Jimmie Foxxes on my team. We should be champions three times over! ...Not that I care, because this is just a stupid loving game that I'm glad I'm almost done with."

Box Score

Don May posted:

W'S PAY BACK LANDERS WITH 3-1 WIN, LANDERS 3 BEHIND BOBBLEHEADS

South Bolton- The Landers were looking ahead to their season-defining series with the Bobbleheads next week. Perhaps they were looking a bit too far ahead.

Two weeks ago, the Landers won the Television Title from the Eazy W's by beating Jack McDowell in the final game of a three-game set on the moon. Today, McDowell returned the favor by picking up a win in South Bolton, holding the Landers to just one run over seven innings, and knocking the Landers a full three games behind the Bobbleheads in the process, putting them in serious danger of getting eliminated from the playoff race before they even get a chance to play the Bobbleheads for the last time.

McDowell, more intense than usual, made it clear that this was personal, "Everyone is paying attention to the Landers and the Bobbleheads, but no one seems to remember that whichever of them wins, they still have to face us in the first round of the playoffs. But how did the Landers react when they swept us two weeks ago? They ignored us, ignored me. mrnoun came out and started saying about how this was just another step on his way to beating the Bobbleheads, that we were effectively just a means to that end. Beating us should have meant something, but to the Landers, we were just nothing! Well, I guess we aren't nothing now, are we? Thanks to us, there's a pretty good chance that you'll get to watch the playoffs from the comfort of your own home, isn't there? Bet you don't think we're just another step on your path to greatness now, eh? See you in Super-League VIII, mrnoun."

mrnoun responded with some cold fury of his own, "Four hits against Jack McDowell? With a performance like that, we deserve to miss the playoffs. But, just like a prog rock track, our journey will extend on and on, way past this defeat. We were caught off-guard, I'll admit that, but three games? We can make those up in a week. First, we're going to kill the Comancheros in Coahuila, if the Bobbleheads could do it, so can we, and then...then the Bobbleheads have to come up to the moon, and as long as we can keep them within three games, well, I expect nothing less than a sweep. I expect them to come into the moonbase with their heads held high and then leave after losing their Heavyweight Championship, their lead in the division, and any hope they have left. This is happening!"

Box Score

Don May posted:

BOBBLEHEADS CRUSH COMANCHEROS 13-5, PREPARE FOR FINAL WEEK

Chicago- With time running out, the Bobbleheads made a strong play to extend their lead in the Senor Goodtimes Division, hammering the Comancheros 13-5 to give them a three game lead over the Luna Landers.

The game was actually close until the bottom of the sixth inning when the Bobbleheads exploded for seven runs, giving them a big lead that they would hold onto for the rest of the game. Mark Grace, whose team now has a commanding lead with just one week left in the regular season, sounded confident, "We're banged up, obviously, Giambi isn't really a right fielder, Ramon Martinez really isn't much of a starter, and we've got the wrong Jeter out there. But we still won. And, let's be real here, all we have to do win the division is win one game on the moon next week. Just one game. And hell, even if we were to get swept, there's still a chance that the Landers still might not win the division, if they drop another game back of us earlier that week. But, let's say they do stay even with us, and sweep us in Luna. Then what? Then they've got to beat us one more time in a tiebreaker, that's what. The Landers want to go to the playoffs? They'll have to beat us four straight times, four times in a loving row. Now, maybe they can pull that off, maybe they really that much better than us. Then again, last time our two teams met in a series like that, we swept them in the playoffs last season."

"You know what? gently caress it. The Landers aren't going to win. I don't feel like pretending. Here's what's going to happen. The Landers are going to be three games back of us going into the final series. They'll win game one, and everyone will wonder 'can they do it?' And then we'll win game two of the series and end their season, and then I'll celebrate by drinking thirty beers. The end. What else do you think is going to loving happen? The Landers have a better chance of fighting off a bear with their bare hands than beating us. And believe me, I haven't seen a ton of guys pulling that off. Lots of disembowelments, though."

Box Score

Team Statistics

Analysis

I think the best move is Abreu to right, Giles to left, and your playoff rotation being Maddux/Schmidt/Glavine/Schilling. The problem, of course, being that you aren't going to have a chance to set your rotation in the final week of the season.

Analysis

Well, at least you don't have to worry about Collins and Cobb's health in the short Gauntlet rounds.

Analysis

Horrible timing, with the Bobbleheads and Landers in the last two weeks to tank your Gauntlet seeding.

Analysis

Definitely the biggest underdog in the playoffs, in either league, really, but the Phoenixes do have a 14-8 season series win over the Cultists, mainly because you have a lot of left-handed bats, and the Cultists don't have a lot of good left-handed pitching.

Analysis

Sorry.

Analysis

Now that is just gruesome.

Analysis

No. Just no.

Analysis

A frustrating penultimate week, and now the Landers will have to have a great final week to pull this off.

Analysis

Hey, at least Musial had a good season.

Analysis

Not enough depth, just not enough depth. Still, you don't need depth in the Gauntlet.

Analysis

Assuming you don't completely tank the last week of the season, you'll get a free pass to Super-League VIII.

Analysis

And right into the first round of the Gauntlet. Relegation can't come soon enough.

Analysis

Schilling is going to have to be your fourth starter in the playoffs. Accept it.

Analysis

Vengeance!

Analysis

Hope for some better rolls in the Gauntlet.

Analysis

Chin up, Armitage, at least you're doing better than the Potatoes.

Standings and Leaders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Looking at Jacksons and Alomar's average just disgusts me... oh well time for the ship to enter the Gauntlet rapids once more. Seeing as we've been through it twice already and the ship having significant flaws I think I'm in for a ride.

Once the Gauntlet starts let Collins and Cobb start full time at their respective position again. I'll be in my cabin in order to set my exit strategy in motion should things go wrong.