Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Does the home-button Miiverse close your game out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I don't believe so. It should just run directly on the gamepad.

It's not like the 3DS where you can pick any app you've installed and exit to it. In-game Wii U OS is trunicated to only a few features (Miiverse, TVii, etc).

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Heads up for anyone with Gamefly. The early release games are showing up as available now on the site. Sonic racing has a release date of tomorrow, too. Clear out your Q's!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Quest For Glory II posted:

But I believe only Nintendo games have Miiverse directly integrated into their games (the Mario world map, for example), at launch. I don't think developers had access to that functionality until after their games already went gold.

Zombi U has direct Miiverse integration, I think.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I swear, this whole page is first world problems.

This is what consumer electronic launches are.

I really hope the lack of basic power features isn't something they were hoping would be marketable for future redesigns of the system or controller. For the price they're asking for the pad alone, it's not some 10 dollar upgrade like Motion Plus. Allthough I'd imagine making the Wii-U recharge the controller is a modification that is easily done yourself.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Cool tip if you own every console under the sun including ones that are backwards compatible with each other, and are running out of outlets behind your TV: Put the Gamepad charging dock on a table or something that's near a different outlet.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu1kGo5j7NU

NOA talking about Nintendo Network.

Informative..but he's no Iwata :(

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't get why NOA goes to all the effort of filming their own supplementary material only for it to mirror what Iwata said a week ago. Why not just sub the original video if they're not gonna say anything new? Better yet, why not say something new?

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Supercar Gautier posted:

Cool tip if you own every console under the sun including ones that are backwards compatible with each other, and are running out of outlets behind your TV: Put the Gamepad charging dock on a table or something that's near a different outlet.
I was joking with my original power supply comment, but to be entirely serious. The Wii-U does not seem to have any sort of exclusive parts as far as regular power supply components go and batteries.

The pad has a user replacable battery. The people who have tested say that around 2000 hours it loses about 70% of it's recharge(rechargable batteries are not infinite). While no replacment battery has been released yet, it's not out of the realm of possibility to rig a better battery from another electronic device as it's replacement. Infact many similar devices are able to do so allready.

In comparsion the rechargable Wii-U Controller Pro has around 80 hours of life per charge and it does not degrade as quick as the controller pad.

In both instances having a dock doesn't really cut it since the system itself will not recharge either type of controller (unless you want to open it up). You might be better off using something far more universal, they have stuff that works for PS3 and Xbox overszied controllers(i.e.arcade sticks).That and they usualy don't require a brick.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 14, 2012

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't get why NOA goes to all the effort of filming their own supplementary material only for it to mirror what Iwata said a week ago. Why not just sub the original video if they're not gonna say anything new? Better yet, why not say something new?

Because Bill needed to hold an orange and stare at the camera.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Akileese posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu1kGo5j7NU

NOA talking about Nintendo Network.

Informative..but he's no Iwata :(

He does stare at an orange at the end.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Vaerai Archon posted:

.That and they usualy don't require a brick.

They also don't have to power a 6" television screen.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

big mean giraffe posted:

They also don't have to power a 6" television screen.

No I was refering to the types of universal recharging units. They usualy end in a normal plug or USB connector. They can take multiple devices at once. Both the Wii-U pad and Controller Pros need to be recharged.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 14, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vaerai Archon posted:

No I was refering to the types of universal recharging units. They usualy end in a normal plug or USB connector. They can take multiple devices at once. Both the Wii-U pad and Controller Pros need to be recharged.

Apples and Oranges. The GamePad's probably got a power draw closer to that of a tablet or netbook, rather than a controller, so I'm not surprised it needs its own power brick and cable.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Apples and Oranges. The GamePad's probably got a power draw closer to that of a tablet or netbook, rather than a controller, so I'm not surprised it needs its own power brick and cable.

But the point I was making was each controller type is going to need it's own recharger. The dock is listed as just being for the the Pad which means the Controller Pro is going to need it's own standalone dock. It would probably be better to use something else rather than the official chargers.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
The lack of 3DS mention by Bill in that video is concerning. Do we know the extent of planned 3DS support for the Nintendo Network? I'm getting the feeling it's going to be in the same category as smartphones and web browsers; can view and post on Miiverse for Wii U titles, but no unified account, eShop, or Miiverse support for your 3DS games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mennonites Revenge posted:

The lack of 3DS mention by Bill in that video is concerning. Do we know the extent of planned 3DS support for the Nintendo Network? I'm getting the feeling it's going to be in the same category as smartphones and web browsers; can view and post on Miiverse for Wii U titles, but no unified account, eShop, or Miiverse support for your 3DS games.

We know nothing about how it'll work on 3DS beyond "it's coming" and they're not going to tell us anything until they're ready to roll it out.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If it ends up being possible to charge it with USB's power output some third party will come out with a cheap cable. Probably a fatter battery pack too, albeit at the cost of more weight and a bulge in the back (some pic of the manual seemed to show a decent bit of free space in the battery compartment though).

Vaerai Archon posted:

But the point I was making was each controller type is going to need it's own recharger. The dock is listed as just being for the the Pad which means the Controller Pro is going to need it's own standalone dock. It would probably be better to use something else rather than the official chargers.
Well you'll be glad to know the pro controller charges with...USB! (well I think it does at least)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vaerai Archon posted:

Given its size and similarity to the 360 and PS3, I think it's safe to say you can probably just charge it with a USB cable.

edit: VVVVVVVV

We've actually already figured that one out - the GamePad's power draw is probably too high.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 14, 2012

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Given its size and similarity to the 360 and PS3, I think it's safe to say you can probably just charge it with a USB cable.

I hope thats the case, because whats really preventing the Wii-U Pad from being charged is the fact that there is no USB connector at all on the Pad itself.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Why are people some up in arms about needing to charge their Nintendo controllers via USB with the Wii U itself? Please just get over the concept and realize that you don't need to charge the device with the device you use it with. And the device also doesn't need to charge in the same cabinet the Wii U lives in.

I do not understand it from a logistical standpoint. Your Gamepad is low on battery power so you have essentially 3 options. 1) Play with your Gamepad connected to your Wii U with a short USB cable sitting incredibly close to the TV. 2) Turn the system on to charge the Gamepad and not play a game, which is totally inefficient, charging at a much slower speed too (and be sure to turn that auto shutdown off so that you have time to charge your controller!). And 3) Play your game from the comfort of your couch with it charging from a nearby plug.

I don't know about you guys, but I'd probably chose option #3 99% of the time.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Astro7x posted:

Why are people some up in arms about needing to charge their Nintendo controllers via USB with the Wii U itself?

No one's up in arms, it's literally just Vaerai Archon bitching that he won't have enough plugs with every console known to man and all his animes plugged in at the same time.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bobnumerotres posted:

No one's up in arms, it's literally just Vaerai Archon bitching that he won't have enough plugs with every console known to man and all his animes plugged in at the same time.
I wasn't being entirely serious and I tried to write that post in a joking fashion. I deleted it so it wouldn't cause further issues.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Do we know how many games won't let you play with the Pro instead of the Gamepad?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I think I already know the answer but...

About a year and a half ago I found out my launch Wii was fried. It will power up, but no video comes out. I bought a new Wii because I wanted to play Skyward Sword.

Everything on the old Wii is now unrecoverable? is there even any way to get that old stuff back by sending the old Wii (or both Wii's) to Nintendo? Or by getting some online repair place to crack it open and somehow access the memory and copy it off to the new Wii?

I didn't have a TON of stuff on the Wii, but there were just enough save games and downloaded games to make this REALLY annoying. Not to mention the army of Mii's my girlfriend had created. :(

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Do we know how many games won't let you play with the Pro instead of the Gamepad?

No, and we probably never will. It' s completely up to devs to support the Pro, the Wiimote or any other supplementary controller.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

About a year and a half ago I found out my launch Wii was fried. It will power up, but no video comes out. I bought a new Wii because I wanted to play Skyward Sword.

Everything on the old Wii is now unrecoverable? is there even any way to get that old stuff back by sending the old Wii (or both Wii's) to Nintendo? Or by getting some online repair place to crack it open and somehow access the memory and copy it off to the new Wii?

I didn't have a TON of stuff on the Wii, but there were just enough save games and downloaded games to make this REALLY annoying. Not to mention the army of Mii's my girlfriend had created. :(

I had a Wii that went kaput. I sent it to Nintendo's repair shop, and they transferred all my downloadable game licenses to the replacement unit that they sent back to me.

There's no front-end for the account system; there is a record of what licenses a Wii console is supposed to have on it, but only Nintendo themselves can perform a Wii-to-Wii transfer of that data, especially if the console is unbootable.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

OldSenileGuy posted:

Nintendo should be able to fix it so long if you didn't open it (like I stupidly did), but you probably have to pay like 60 or so to do so. But contact them anyway, as they might have a better solution.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The best general answer is probably "as many as there are Wii games that allow the Classic Controller", if that makes sense.

edit: VVVVV

I meant it more as a simile, rather than a literal comparison. Just that some will, others won't, just gotta wait and see.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Nov 14, 2012

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think developers will be a little more gung ho about the Pro Controller, since they're designing for the Gamepad anyway (which has the same input layout), and in many cases designing for the other two consoles as well (whose controllers are close to feature-equivalent). Most of the multiplatform titles already support it, which is a big headstart over the Classic.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The best general answer is probably "as many as there are Wii games that allow the Classic Controller", if that makes sense.

Sure.

I really love the possibilities of the Gamepad but we should all be aware of how it will unquestionably be abused by 2014: Advertisements. Someone near broke like THQ is likely going to make Saint's Row 4 for it and the Gamepad tablet screen will just be a never ending rush of commercials. And they will disable Pro controller support.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
One thing I am happy about is that Nintendo's basically stopped making vanilla Wiimotes now, so any game that uses motion controls should hopefully support MotionPlus as standard.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Sure.

I really love the possibilities of the Gamepad but we should all be aware of how it will unquestionably be abused by 2014: Advertisements. Someone near broke like THQ is likely going to make Saint's Row 4 for it and the Gamepad tablet screen will just be a never ending rush of commercials. And they will disable Pro controller support.

One of the biggest contributors to THQ going bankrupt was their uDraw tablet peripheral, funnily enough.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 14, 2012

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Rirse posted:

Nintendo should be able to fix it so long if you didn't open it (like I stupidly did), but you probably have to pay like 60 or so to do so. But contact them anyway, as they might have a better solution.

Thanks, I'll look into that. If I had realized that that was how it worked at the time, I would have just sent in the Wii to be repaired in the first place. But I figured I could pay ~$90 to get it repaired, or pay $150 to just get a brand new one with NSMB Wii bundled together.

Now I'm gonna end up with two Wii's with no resale value because the drat Wii U is coming out. :(

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 14, 2012

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

OldSenileGuy posted:

Thanks, I'll look into that. If I had realized that that was how it worked at the time, I would have just sent in the Wii to be repaired in the first place. But I figured I could pay ~$90 to get it repaired, or pay $150 to just get a brand new one with NSMB Wii bundled together.

Now I'm gonna end up with two Wii's with no resale value because the drat Wii U is coming out. :(

Are they homebrewed or homebrewable? Anyhow, you could always walk through the transfer process blind. The Wii's really good about feedback in terms of sound and vibration.

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski
I made a video detailing my experience with the Wii. What was yours like? Overall happy? Overall disappointed?

HarveyVdarski fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 14, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

One of the biggest contributors to THQ going bankrupt was their uDraw tablet peripheral, funnily enough.

Wasn't it successful on the Wii but a dirty bomb on 360 and PS3?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

HarveyVdarski posted:

I made a video detailing my experience with the Wii U. What was yours like? Overall happy? Overall disappointed?

The Wii, you mean.

I should mention that I've been updating the OP. Anyone tell me if there's anything you feel is missing.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

I got a call today that my copy of Batman was in. I feel kinda dumb for essentially buying two copies of Arkham City (one last year on PS3 and this one), since I don't make a habit of double dipping, but it's one of my favorite games this gen and I was curious if the extra content would be worth it. The official page on Nintendo's website does say that it has off-TV play. Hopefully that's correct because having semi-portable Arkham City would own pretty hard.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Humongous Pear posted:

The official page[/url] on Nintendo's website does say that it has off-TV play.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually yeah, I checked out IGN's Wii U unboxing, and the Pro Controllers actually just use a normal Usb Mini-B ( not the kind you use for smartphones, but a lot of wacom tablets, mp3 players etc use 'em) cable, and there's one included in the box.

So yeah, like the 360 and ps3 controllers, only with claimed 80 hours of usage, and a non-proprietary charging plug, which is pretty sweet.

• Locked thread