Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

moot the hopple posted:

There's no point in getting WBC2 if you've already bought WBC3, by the way. Each game in the series is just a refinement of the same game with more races/units and better balance added along the way. Only WBC1 bothered with a proper storyline, the other games were just a campaign map of random scenarios with some occasional plot thrown in, so there's no lore or whatever you'll miss out on. IIRC, it was easier to cheese builds in WBC2 but I'm not sure how fun that'll be for new players or if multiplayer is even still active. If you want to try out this kind of game, it's worth it paying the extra for WBC3.

So speaking of RTS/RPG hybrids: How does WBC3 compare to Spellforce 2 Gold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Only the spergiest will do.

C-Euro posted:

I should probably be rooting for Lucasarts to sign with GOG since I never played any of their famous adventure games but if I get copies of Age of Empires and AoE II that are fully Windows 7-friendly I might never need to buy another PC game.

I think you mean Disney!

(and I am hoping for this too for KOTOR)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

C-Euro posted:

I should probably be rooting for Lucasarts to sign with GOG since I never played any of their famous adventure games

Steam has a few of them, notably the HD versions of Monkey Island 1&2, as well as The Dig and (I think) Full Throttle. The latter two also sometimes crop up in bargain bins of game stores.

edit: VVVVVVV

Ah, thanks.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 14, 2012

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Steam has a few of them, notably the HD versions of Monkey Island 1&2, as well as The Dig and (I think) Full Throttle. The latter two also sometimes crop up in bargain bins of game stores.
Full Throttle isn't on steam.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

gradenko_2000 posted:

Between games like Tron 2.0, NOLF and Shogo, the early 2000s were really the heyday of innovative, off-the-wall shooters. My favorite of that era would have to be Voyager Elite Force

I wish Elite Force didn't have one of the worst last bosses I've ever seen in a game. The expansion was really disappointing too. Other than that I definitely enjoyed it a lot and would love to revisit it.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

SpruceZeus posted:

So speaking of RTS/RPG hybrids: How does WBC3 compare to Spellforce 2 Gold?

Never played Spellforce, so I can only comment that the RTS element of Warlords Battlecry 3 is pretty strong with a bunch of races that play quite differently from each other and have a nice, distinct feel even if they seem kinda similar (the different flavors of elves and dwarves, for instance). The RPG element is mainly in building a persistent hero, the class system lets you do a lot of different things like build an uber melee hero that's an army by itself, or a summoner/necromancer that can literally turn a field of dead bodies into a horde of undead, a merchant that gives you crazy discounts on unit buying costs, a general that buffs your army, etc. If you can forgive the dated presentation (graphics and sound were behind their times even when first released), it's a decent game. Some of this might be the rose-tinted memories, but I remember having a good amount of fun with it.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Sounds like something I'd have fun with as well. Thanks for the info.

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Sacrifice is another RPG/RTS hybrid but in a different way, you control the hero and it's an over-the-shoulder view while you gather/summon an army around you. Almost a proto-overlord, I remember having a lot of fun with it.

I have no idea how well it's aged but it's $2.99 at the moment so not a lot of risk involved :v:

Only thing I remember disliking about it is the unique camera actually (wouldn't let you zoom out enough for my tastes), but maybe there's a mod or .ini tweak for that.

EDIT: I remember WBC being just okay. Something about them never grabbed me, didn't hate them just got bored quickly.

Demerzel fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 14, 2012

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Demerzel posted:

I have no idea how well it's aged but it's $2.99 at the moment so not a lot of risk involved :v:

Early 3d, not pretty, but should run on modern systems fine, it's even on steam.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I replayed Sacrifice recently, and the graphics have held up extremely well. It was so good at squeezing every last visual drop out of DX8 that some new games today on DX9 look worse.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Crimson Skies OMFG PLEASE

I had it originally, but it kept bugging on the "steal the jet-fighter" mission so I took it back to the store :negative:

gently caress you teenage Prawned, gently caress you.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Demerzel posted:

I think you mean Disney!

(and I am hoping for this too for KOTOR)
You can still get KotOR elsewhere (Steam included), does it really have to be available on GOG as well? The X-Wing series, on the other hand...

Also, Vista/Win7/Win8-ready versions of, say, Dark Forces II and Rebellion would be quite welcome.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I loved it at the time, but deep in my heart I know that Rebellion was actually a pretty unfun and bad game and it would be a bad idea to go back to it for nostalgia's sake.

The X-Wing series as well tbh, their actual gameplay just can't match up to Freespace 2 and I-War 2 which will forever be the high water mark of space shooters be the best space shooters until maybe Chris Roberts produces something playable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alchenar posted:

I loved it at the time, but deep in my heart I know that Rebellion was actually a pretty unfun and bad game and it would be a bad idea to go back to it for nostalgia's sake.

The X-Wing series as well tbh, their actual gameplay just can't match up to Freespace 2

X-Wing Alliance says otherwise :colbert:. (Though Freespace 2 is a drat high benchmark)

Also, if we're going into the lesser-known Lucasarts games, I want to know what kind of dark magicks from the unnameable places are needed to get Droidworks working in Windows 7. Loved that stupid game as a kid :unsmith:.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Sombrerotron posted:

Also, Vista/Win7/Win8-ready versions of, say, Dark Forces II and Rebellion would be quite welcome.

Jedi Knight never really had any problems with later Windows editions as far as I know, the only issue at hand was the fact that the game's soundtrack was actually embedded on the CD itself. Which means it doesn't play on the Steam editions.

Rebellion is really weird mechanically and awfully easy once you figure out the surefire way to crush everything by building massive shipyard/construction yard/training facility planets.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

X-Wing Alliance says otherwise :colbert:. (Though Freespace 2 is a drat high benchmark)

What killed Alliance for me was the fact that none of the Alliance capitalships have turbolasers. So there are no Capital ship battles in the game, there are just Star Destroyers that will shoot at other ships from long outside their range until you kill their turrets.

That, and scripted missions with 5 minute long docking timers you had to sit through.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Pyromancer posted:

Early 3d, not pretty, but should run on modern systems fine, it's even on steam.

:catstare: I'm sorry, but 2000 is not really early 3D, and most people seem to agree that it looks fantastic and holds up really well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alchenar posted:

That, and scripted missions with 5 minute long docking timers you had to sit through.

Oh, I'll agree with that. Some of the early trader missions are annoying as hell, but I still had a hell of a lot of fun with the game.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Alchenar posted:

There's tons of problems with Rebellion, and the AI is a drat pushover as Party Plane Jones has pointed out, but I am thoroughly convinced that Rebellion is still amazing for multiplayer purposes. When up against someone who's not completely useless as the game, it is honestly one of the most intense and (if you succeed) rewarding experiences you could ever have with a strategy game.

quote:

The X-Wing series as well tbh, their actual gameplay just can't match up to Freespace 2 and I-War 2 which will forever be the high water mark of space shooters be the best space shooters until maybe Chris Roberts produces something playable.
That's just a silly argument unless you absolutely will not or cannot play more than two space combat sims, tops. The X-Wing series may not be as good anymore as they used to be, but I really don't think they suffer any significant design flaws, and the core mechanics are awfully similar to those in Freespace 2. Besides, people never played any of them just because they were good games - they played them because they were good Star Wars games. The setting, narrative, and atmos all add to the appeal. And X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter may well be the best multiplayer space shooter around, still, especially with its expansion pack that adds a fully-fledged and multiplayer-ready campaign.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Jedi Knight never really had any problems with later Windows editions as far as I know, the only issue at hand was the fact that the game's soundtrack was actually embedded on the CD itself. Which means it doesn't play on the Steam editions.
It's been a bit rickety in my experience, although perhaps that's got something to do with the fact that I'm using a 64-bit OS. D3D seems to be a bit of an issue for newer systems, regardless. Beyond that, I'd be hoping that GOG would offer a neat package with Jedi Knight Enhanced already installed and configured; getting that running reliably has proven a bit of hassle for me in the past as well.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Myron posted:

:catstare: I'm sorry, but 2000 is not really early 3D, and most people seem to agree that it looks fantastic and holds up really well.
It is early 3d when sprites look better than 3d, Magic and Mayhem, a similar game from same time period looked better. In Sacrifice effects are good, but look at those models, it beats only minecraft in polygon count. And those textures, low res at its worst

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 is demanding that I insert the game disc to play it. :confused:

EDIT: Nevermind, reinstalling fixed it. I think I messed up the original installation. Sorry for the false alarm :(

Zero Star fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 14, 2012

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Quake 3 was 2000. Playstation 2 was 2000. Sacrifice might look dated, but it's in no way "early 3D".

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Yeah, the first 3D accelerator cards appeared in what, 1995, 1996? I recall Resident Evil being accelerator only and that was 1996. 2000 gave us Deus Ex, Counterstrike, Giants: Citizen Kabuto, Project IGI... calling Sacrifice early 3D is well out.

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Is Anachronox worth playing? It looks like Deus Ex and the descriptions say JRPG battles. Both of which I love (couldn't play a modern JRPG but cut my gaming teeth on Dragon Warrior/FFI) but idk if the humor is way over the top into groan territory like say Douglas Adams.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Man, for some reason I was reminiscing some games from my infancy, and now I really wish GOG carried Street Rod, which had awesome, Need for Speed Underground kind of tuning, Stunts, which had the best map editor ever and I spent way too much time playing & Kings of the Beach (Stoklos and Smith!).

I'm only 23 but I feel really old now. :corsair:

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 14, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Demerzel posted:

Is Anachronox worth playing? It looks like Deus Ex and the descriptions say JRPG battles. Both of which I love (couldn't play a modern JRPG but cut my gaming teeth on Dragon Warrior/FFI) but idk if the humor is way over the top into groan territory like say Douglas Adams.

There's a Let's Play of it on lparchive.org if you want to check that out.

VisAbsoluta posted:

I'm only 23 but I feel really old now. :corsair:

I'm 24 and I feel the goddamn same after going through this and the retro games thread. :corsair::hf::corsair:

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm 24 and I feel the goddamn same after going through this and the retro games thread. :corsair::hf::corsair:

Please. Wait till you're part of the 30 and over crowd. Then you can complain about feeling old!

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Demerzel posted:

Anachronox is nothing like Deus Ex, like, at all, however it does have a good atmosphere and cheesy dialogue but it suffers from having the worst battle system ever. However it all makes up for it with the Yammer spell alone. Get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4TsmWQpE2k

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Zero Star posted:

Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 is demanding that I insert the game disc to play it. :confused:

Seriously!? I hope that this is an isolated incident - I loved both RCT1 and 2. I own both on GOG and I have the original, fully-expanded RTC1 on disc (never cared for 3).

I was hoping to crack open that game during the winter holidays, so let me know if you figure it out or hear anything from the techs at GOG.

Edit: Retarded choice of vocab

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

JustJeff88 posted:

Seriously!? I hope that this is an isolated incident - I loved both RCT1 and 2. I own both on GOG and I have the original, fully-expanded RTC1 on disc (never cared for 3).

I was hoping to crack open that game during the winter holidays, so let me know if you figure it out or hear anything from the techs at GOG.

Edit: Retarded choice of vocab
It is an isolated incident, in that I messed up the installation of the game, and fixed it by reinstalling. My bad.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I bought Street Fighter 2 Alpha a few days ago, but I can't get a comfortable layout on the 360 controller. Does anyone have any settings that would be worth trying? I loved SFII on PC as a kid (that and XWing, C'MON LUCASARTS! So many fond memories of playing that with my dad), and I want to get some sweet sweet nostalgia action going on.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I bought Street Fighter 2 Alpha a few days ago, but I can't get a comfortable layout on the 360 controller. Does anyone have any settings that would be worth trying? I loved SFII on PC as a kid (that and XWing, C'MON LUCASARTS! So many fond memories of playing that with my dad), and I want to get some sweet sweet nostalgia action going on.

Super Nintendo style, with the left and right bumpers being fierce and roundhouse.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Demerzel posted:

Is Anachronox worth playing? It looks like Deus Ex and the descriptions say JRPG battles. Both of which I love (couldn't play a modern JRPG but cut my gaming teeth on Dragon Warrior/FFI)

Anachronox is a very good game, but it is a JRPG in gameplay. If you think the gameplay doesn't look appealing, you can also check out Anachronox: The Movie, which is more or less all the cutscenes in the game crammed together in a movie format. However, it's worth noting that much of the games humor happens outside of the cutscenes so that's why I think the game is actually worth getting.

Demerzel posted:

but idk if the humor is way over the top into groan territory like say Douglas Adams.

I was on board with the first half of this quote but then it stops making sense at the very end. Surely you have confused Douglas Adams with someone else. I could see how one could compare Anachronox with Douglas Adams though, the styles are pretty similar. So I don't really know what to tell you. At the very least watch the movie!

I will guarantee you this: once you see the ending you will be very sad because they never made another one. Fair warning.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 15, 2012

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Discount Viscount posted:

Super Nintendo style, with the left and right bumpers being fierce and roundhouse.

A+B+RB for kicks and X+Y+LB for punches? Sorry, I did it keyboard back in the day. I lost a lot. A LOT. I was also five.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The correct move seems to be getting one of these. I'm so tempted.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

The correct move seems to be getting one of these. I'm so tempted.

I can confirm that those work really well. That's the only input device I'll use for fighting games these days.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Latest games:

Shadow Warrior Complete - $5.99
http://www.gog.com/gamecard/shadow_warrior_complete

Terminal Velocity - $5.99
http://www.gog.com/gamecard/terminal_velocity

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Been waiting on this since GOG launched. Need to send this to an old friend.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo, people have been waitin on both of those. I wonder if Fury3 and Hellbender will get releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I actually kinda remember this game (or the demo) as well as Fury3, which I just found out was developed by the team who made this, but isn't related to TV outside of being the same game engine and similar gameplay. I would jump on this, but I'm gonna wait until the GOG holiday sale assuming they're doing the everything 50% off deal again, and I need to get a good joystick since my old Sidewinder stick can't be plugged into my computer since it lacks a game port.

duckfarts posted:

Holy poo poo, people have been waitin on both of those. I wonder if Fury3 and Hellbender will get releases.
I kinda doubt it since those were published by Microsoft, who I assume still own at least some of the rights to them.