Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Sonny Cheebah posted:

I think being a space detective would be pretty amazing. It'd be like Policenauts 2 or something.

I feel like the obvious retort is that it would be 'like' whatever awesome detective story you're picturing, except not as good, because it's not really a story that's in Bioware's wheelhouse.

I'd like to see them try something like that, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

ME4 will take place in a previous cycle that was almost identical to the cycle of ME1-ME3, including Humins, Isari, Torians, Silarians, Bitarians, Quirians, Krugan, Gith, Hinar, Elcur, Drull and Valus races. You will follow the story of a Humin commander employed by the M6 Systems Alliance military as he/she learns about and fights against the Reaper threat with a crew of assorted aliens across the galaxy.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Sonny Cheebah posted:

I think being a space detective would be pretty amazing. It could be Policenauts II, basically.

Or how about a bounty hunter?

Or both. There's no shortage of spinoffs.

Also, I've mentioned these before, but what the hell - I want a game about Garrus and his crew on Omega that takes ME1 save imports, and an ultraviolent Contra-style downloadable game starring Zaeed.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

I feel like the obvious retort is that it would be 'like' whatever awesome detective story you're picturing, except not as good, because it's not really a story that's in Bioware's wheelhouse.
But it doesn't have to be something to the scale of the past three games. My theory is that they took on such an endeavour, plot-wise (ME1-ME3), that had such a chance of dividing the fanbase, that they ultimately fudged it. I think if they relegate to writing something a little more manageable, like murder investigations and run-ins with criminal factions, they'd be in alright shape.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Nov 14, 2012

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Sonny Cheebah posted:

But, it doesn't have to be something to the scale of the past three games. I think they're competent enough in writing something a little more manageable, like murder investigations and run-ins with criminal factions.

I'd like to see them do it, don't get me wrong, I mean, I'd loved to see them try, I just don't know if the end result would be as good as people are imagining.

I mean I said before I'd love to see a heist movie or something in the vein of a revenge tale where you've got the 'person putting together a team' motif of Mass Effect 2 but on a smaller, more personal scale, and I think they've done stuff like that in the past in other games, but that was different teams and even then there were issues.

I think the main hurdle I can't see Bioware executing well on is the strucuture of a procedural.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Nov 14, 2012

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

BreakAtmo posted:

ultraviolent Contra-style downloadable game starring Zaeed.

ohgodfuckyes

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I don't think Bioware is really capable of small-scale style narratives. It's really baffling, actually. They're pretty good at small-scale style narrative things but they always put them in "save the world/galaxy/etc" setting. Dragon Age 2 is the closest they came to that, and look how that ended.

I'd like to see them try, but I imagine it would involve getting new writers with not so massive egos.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I don't think Bioware is really capable of small-scale style narratives. It's really baffling, actually. They're pretty good at small-scale style narrative things but they always put them in "save the world/galaxy/etc" setting. Dragon Age 2 is the closest they came to that, and look how that ended.

I'd like to see them try, but I imagine it would involve getting new writers with not so massive egos.

They did some approachably, or rather relatively, small scale stuff with The Old Republic which I heard/thought was pretty good, but again, that's not a very good game, so.

I think they kind of have to do something significantly different in scope/scale for the next series, though, because if we get Mass Effect: The New Trilogy where they've just CTRL-F'd out Reapers for Leviathans then I think they're in a lot of trouble. I think they really need to prove that they can make a wealth of stories in this setting, particularly now.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Dan Didio posted:

They did some approachably, or rather relatively, small scale stuff with The Old Republic which I heard/thought was pretty good, but again, that's not a very good game, so.
TOR's issues aren't really about its plot and story-telling, are they? Admittedly I did not play it very long (though that's less to do with its failings than with me always getting bored of EQ/WoW-style MMOs rather quickly), but virtually every complaint I can recall being voiced at the time was related to its front-end and/or its mechanics.

quote:

I think they kind of have to do something significantly different in scope/scale for the next series, though, because if we get Mass Effect: The New Trilogy where they've just CTRL-F'd out Reapers for Leviathans then I think they're in a lot of trouble. I think they really need to prove that they can make a wealth of stories in this setting, particularly now.
Although I agree, I expect it'll be drat difficult to make a small-scale ME game without prompting the criticism that it's very underwhelming after the previous trilogy.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Sombrerotron posted:

TOR's issues aren't really about its plot and story-telling, are they? Admittedly I did not play it very long (though that's less to do with its failings than with me always getting bored of EQ/WoW-style MMOs rather quickly), but virtually every complaint I can recall being voiced at the time was related to its front-end and/or its mechanics.

There was some complaints, but nothing related to that area, I don't think, but again, different teams.

Sombrerotron posted:

Although I agree, I expect it'll be drat difficult to make a small-scale ME game without prompting the criticism that it's very underwhelming after the previous trilogy.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Bioware can handle whatever criticism comes about as a result of a smaller scale at this point.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Bioware can handle whatever criticism comes about as a result of a smaller scale at this point.
It'd probably be bad for sales, though, and they do need to prove themselves again to a host of former fans, so I'm not sure if they can afford/are willing to take such a chance.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Sombrerotron posted:

It'd probably be bad for sales, though, and they do need to prove themselves again to a host of former fans, so I'm not sure if they can afford/are willing to take such a chance.

Yeah, true, true, it's going to be interesting to see how the next game's marketed.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Any of you bought the retail version of Black Ops 2 and the second disc is Mass Effect 2 all of a sudden? Bioware has something for you.

Bioware posted:

If the universe thinks that you should be playing Mass Effect right now, who are we to argue? In fact, we want to help! The first fifty fans affected by this phenomenon to send us a picture holding their special disc 2 will receive a code for a FREE PC copy of Mass Effect Trilogy.

Remember, in order to qualify, YOU must be in the picture, and disc 2 of your Call of Duty: Black Ops II must be visible. Got it? Then send your photo to community@bioware.com and you could be playing your very own Mass Effect Trilogy in time for the weekend!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Haha, that's pretty cool, actually. Has anyone figured out yet how that even happened, it's a different publisher, so I assume they don't use the same pressing location/service?

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Sombrerotron posted:

Are fans really asking for another go at trying to save the entire galaxy again, though? I think it'd be worse if Bioware just wrote up some new threat to the entire universe again, out of nowhere.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I'd be fine not having to save the galaxy, really. How about yoour character got screwed up by someone, sold to batarian pirates, escape, and now goes on an action-RPG adventure of vengeance?

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Small in scale, yet compelling as all gently caress. Let's do it, Bioware.

In my opinion, some of the best stuff in ME2 was the dealings between all the mercenary groups and whatnot.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Nov 14, 2012

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I'd kinda like a game that uses the Mass Effect universe as a backdrop, but places you in a sort of Firefly-esque RPG where you're just going about trying to make a living.

It's using the Frostbite engine though so I hold no hope of that happening. Cheap action game here we come.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Sonny Cheebah posted:

Are fans really asking for another go at trying to save the entire galaxy again, though? I think it'd be worse if Bioware just wrote up some new threat to the entire universe again, out of nowhere.
The series is known for being epic - I think they can't drop the idea of the whole galaxy being on the verge of destruction as it's what people expect, it's basically part of the brand.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Isn't the setting of space epic enough? What are we going to do, the same poo poo we've done in ME3?

Maybe I'm missing the point, but if that's what we agree to establish this series as, then we should be aware of a few caveats:

- We'd have to organize a gigantic military to fend off the threat, foreverandeveramen

- We'd have to deal with the same kind of evil, constantly

- We'll be susceptible to another backlash, akin to the ending of ME3

- Too easy for the series to get co-opted by the CoD mentality

- Prey 2 is basically what I want this next game to be.

I swear, you are making me feel like I'm playing the games for the wrong reasons :(. There was a time in the Mass Effect universe when there wasn't a Reaper threat, and plenty of interesting poo poo was still going down in interstellar space. I would rather have something focus on exploration, strong personal stories, and tight gameplay mechanics.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Nov 14, 2012

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The MSJ posted:

I'd be fine not having to save the galaxy, really. How about yoour character got screwed up by someone, sold to batarian pirates, escape, and now goes on an action-RPG adventure of vengeance?

This is pretty much ME2.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

Haha, that's pretty cool, actually. Has anyone figured out yet how that even happened, it's a different publisher, so I assume they don't use the same pressing location/service?

The disc-manufacturer probably hosed up, if I had to guess.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Sonny Cheebah posted:

Maybe I'm missing the point, but if that's what we agree to establish this series as, then we should be aware of a few caveats:

- We'd have to organize a gigantic military to fend off the threat, foreverandeveramen

- We'd have to deal with the same kind of evil, constantly

- We'll be susceptible to another backlash, akin to the ending of ME3

- Too easy for the series to get co-opted by the CoD mentality
Yep this will all happen in the next ME. Game has to sell.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Hi, I kinda stopped playing, or even paying attention to, ME3 after finishing the extended cut. Was that DLC that came out this summer any good and should I bother spending my money on it?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Hi, I kinda stopped playing, or even paying attention to, ME3 after finishing the extended cut. Was that DLC that came out this summer any good and should I bother spending my money on it?

Apparently it's pretty good. Some fun fights, from what I've seen and some neat scenes. The structure's nice and even so you can basically pick it up and play it whenever in a playthrough.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Palpek posted:

Yep this will all happen in the next ME. Game has to sell.

I really hope you're wrong.

Please be wrong. :colbert:

Why would that sell better than any other ideas? I think most fans of the series would agree that the Galactic War was on the backburner throughout most of the experience.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 14, 2012

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I don't think any if the obvious settings from the background would turn out well. They're all wars (or :turianass:incidents:turianass:), but I think Mass Effect is at its best when it's about ancient ruins and secrets and dodgy bars and exploring space. Something that focused too heavily on the FCW would just end up as CoD in space, which I had my fill of in ME3.

Honestly, even just space is a great setting; a Firefly style trader trying to get by would be fantastic if Bioware could pull it off, getting pulled into conspiracies and Prothean ruins and stuff.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I have a few hopes for ME 4, which is a plot that doesn't revolve around an EPIC ADVENTURE WHERE YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE ABLE TO STOP AN ANCIENT ENEMY!

Also, no prequel stuff, at least try to do something new with whatever is left of the ME universe instead of going the lazy route with a prequel.

Hell, just give us Firefly in the ME universe..

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Indiana Jones would be better.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sylphosaurus posted:

I have a few hopes for ME 4, which is a plot that doesn't revolve around an EPIC ADVENTURE WHERE YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE ABLE TO STOP AN ANCIENT ENEMY!
That worked out really well for them in Dragon Age 2.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Sonny Cheebah posted:

Are fans really asking for another go at trying to save the entire galaxy again, though?
Probably not, but I'm a little doubtful whether something that's really "local" will suffice. Something like an extended Spectre/STG-type operation spanning several systems to prevent war breaking out between two council races or somesuch might work.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Who said anything about it being local? I'm just saying that it doesn't have to be an all-out galactic-struggle-for-survival-whatever kind of thing.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Someone (or some thing) just ate your cereal and pissed in your vase. Gather clues and assemble your crew to track this dangerous threat to your property to the far reaches of the galaxy... And beyond!

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

sassassin posted:

This is pretty much ME2.

Which is the best game in the series.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
You all missed the easter eggs for ME4, didn't you? They started laying the groundwork for this in ME2; Casey Hudson didn't have the ending to ME3 written because he was busy plotting out ME4. With the comic book and the teasers hidden in the last few games, it's clearer than ever: coming in Spring 2014, Mass Effect 4: Blasto's Revenge!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

This might be one of my pet hates in science fiction but still - something 'local' in Mass Effect doesn't have to be meaningless. The scale of something that can threaten an entire galaxy is ridiculous. A local plot in ME could be saving an entire system and its millions of colonists. This isn't quite 'we're setting everything in Krikwall' territory, because a colonised galaxy allows so much more space for a big, non 'one man's rise topower' plot before we hit ANCIENT EVIL RISES AGAINST THE GALAXY territory.

Of course I'm not saying set everything in one system or something; have the exploration and far reaching travel - but take a star system, and treat it like an actual star system and not a wild west frontier town, and you have all the room you need for big important plots without embarassing yourself trying to one-up the Reapers. Otherwise, we end up with Doctor Who style finales where all-the-galaxies-in-every-timeline-in-all-the-universes-of-every-dimension-also-Earth are at stake.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

sassassin posted:

The MSJ posted:

This is pretty much ME2.

Nah, ME2 was more your character getting screwed up by someone, sold to Batarian pirates, and then joining the Batarian pirates regardless of his previous experience with Batarians, occasionally voicing half-hearted objections but pretty much doing exactly what the pirates wanted and defending them to friends who said "why the gently caress are you working with Batarian pirates?"

What the above describes is what ME2 should have been. Shepard waking up on a Cerberus station, fighting his way out by himself, maybe taking a hostage/freeing a prisoner along the way, and escaping to Omega in the lawless Terminus systems, to assemble a team to take down Cerberus as well as solve the mystery of all of the colonies being abducted by Collectors. :colbert:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Strategic Tea posted:

This might be one of my pet hates in science fiction but still - something 'local' in Mass Effect doesn't have to be meaningless.
I chose the wrong word. The geographics aren't that important, really; it's more about the degree to which others than the main character(s) are affected. A personal revenge story as outlined by MSJ or something of that order can be quite compelling, yes, but I am not convinced that's really what most ME fans are looking for in a fourth game. This does not mean it should revolve around yet another looming galactic apocalypse, it simply means that the central conflict should be bigger than the protagonist's motivations (mind you, a revenge story could well serve as a point of departure for this).

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

quote:

Nah, ME2 was more your character getting screwed up by someone, sold to Batarian pirates, and then joining the Batarian pirates regardless of his previous experience with Batarians, occasionally voicing half-hearted objections but pretty much doing exactly what the pirates wanted and defending them to friends who said "why the gently caress are you working with Batarian pirates?"

What the above describes is what ME2 should have been. Shepard waking up on a Cerberus station, fighting his way out by himself, maybe taking a hostage/freeing a prisoner along the way, and escaping to Omega in the lawless Terminus systems, to assemble a team to take down Cerberus as well as solve the mystery of all of the colonies being abducted by Collectors. :colbert:

Who would've helped him do all of that? Cerberus was sort of a necessary evil in the second game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

EDIT: God drat it.

• Locked thread