Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

nm posted:

They won't use used parts though.

I had two different dealers offer to source and install a used transmission in my '02.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Not bad. I do my own work, so under $300 is great.

It looks like if I wanted to travel to another state i can pick up a ~80k 2005 for $10k. Otherwise
this 110k 05 is the best deal locally.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The front bottom one on both my Imprezas is a camber bolt, not a regular bolt like the top one.

They are bastards for rusting but replacements are generic and cheap.

Check subaru parts 4 you's diagrams.

Other way around. Top bolt is camber adjustment lower is just a standard M14 bolt.

Front lower bolt is 20540AA100
Nut is 20550AA010
Big nut for rear shock is 20550PA000

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That's right (top one has more "leverage"). Sorry, I wrote that in a hurry.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I'm doing my legacy struts all around next weekend and am worried about those rear bolts. Thank god for air tools and oxy/ace

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Amandyke posted:

No, the 05's are still the 2.0l so you don't even chance the piston issues. Just make sure the timing belt was changed (very recently) and keep oil in it.

Yeah. If it has been well maintained, you're good. The vast majority of 2.0 turbo issues just have to do with oil issues that can be avoided by checking your oil every fillup.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

nm posted:

Yeah. If it has been well maintained, you're good. The vast majority of oil issues can be avoided by checking your oil every fillup.

Someways it feels like I own a 2.5L rotary with the oil level checking I do. Mine sips a bit on long drives, so I have to keep my Rotella handy.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Sockington posted:

Someways it feels like I own a 2.5L rotary with the oil level checking I do. Mine sips a bit on long drives, so I have to keep my Rotella handy.

Ditto. Though I think mine might be from the turbo's bearings (not that I've checked, but I'm hoping it's that). I should probably just stop being so drat lazy and pop off the silicone tube between the intake manifold and the intercooler to see how much oil is there from blow by.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

jamal posted:

Other way around. Top bolt is camber adjustment lower is just a standard M14 bolt.

Front lower bolt is 20540AA100
Nut is 20550AA010
Big nut for rear shock is 20550PA000

Thanks for this. I really hoped I could reuse the existing ones, but after a few solid weeks of soaking them in PB and using every hand and air tool at my disposal, they're coming off the hard way now.

Slow is Fast posted:

I'm doing my legacy struts all around next weekend and am worried about those rear bolts. Thank god for air tools and oxy/ace

Let me know how it goes for you. It has been very frustrating for me, but you have way more experience/knowledge/balls than I do, so I'd like to see someone else's shot at it. I'm looking forward to seeing you work on your Legacy, since it's basically the same as mine (though it is a GT).

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ah sheeeit I think my '13 STi is coming into port right now. Excited.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Amandyke posted:

Ditto. Though I think mine might be from the turbo's bearings (not that I've checked, but I'm hoping it's that). I should probably just stop being so drat lazy and pop off the silicone tube between the intake manifold and the intercooler to see how much oil is there from blow by.

I'm at 120k mi now and the hoses on the top of the engine have started leaking. Fix one, another goes. I should just figure out what it costs to do em all.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
Jamal, any news on the super s gear oil?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Extra-S.

Most dealerships will sell you the 20L pail for ~$160. That works out to $8/L.

It's hard to beat that once you factor in shipping the smaller bottles to your door.

Plus you have a spare fluid change for X miles down the road or selling it locally to other Subaru dudes.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Sockington posted:

Extra-S.

It's hard to beat that once you factor in shipping the smaller bottles to your door.

Plus you have a spare fluid change for X miles down the road or selling it locally to other Subaru dudes.

That's a pretty good price per L. That's about what it costs buying generic stuff at the parts store.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I'm probably going to buy a bucket and sell some.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Sockington posted:

Extra-S.

That'd work out great if I had 3 or so manual subaru's. But as I have 1 and I doubt I'd change the gear oil more than 3 more times in it I don't see a reason to have a 20L bucket of gear oil in my garage for the next several years. I'd rather pay $10 a litre and have exactly as much as I need for 1 oil change.

Amandyke fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 12, 2012

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Amandyke posted:

That'd work out great if I had 3 or so manual subaru's. But as I have 1 and I doubt I'd change the gear oil more than 3 more times in it I don't see a reason to have a 20L bucket of gear oil in my garage for the next several years. I'd rather pay $10 a litre and have exactly as much as I need for 1 oil change.

I wasn't telling you that you had to get the 20L pail, but was just presenting the economics of the situation.

You could also put up a regional Subaru post to see if anyone locally wants to go in on a pail with you.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Amandyke posted:

That's what I thought when I bought my pail of extra-s. Then I figured since I had so much, I'd use my first change to flush the old crap out. Then I started having some bearing noise, so I changed it out again 7 months later. Then my gearbox got rebuilt under warranty and now I have just enough to replace the crap from the dealer left. 18 months and 20l just about gone. As an added bonus, the pail it comes in is pretty neat looking. It's worth keeping around as a shop garbage can.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
This is a timely discussion!

I was going to post to ask what fluids I need to be able to do the transmission and diffs in my STi. Just a shitload of Extra-S?

Same for a 2010 OBS? (5spd)

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

I got this 2004 Impreza 2.5TS about a week ago, since then I have fixed an exhaust leak, had the car MVI'd and today I vacuumed all the dog hair left in it by the PO and washed it. Because I'm stupid and didn't take a picture of it outside in the daylight, have this dark cell phone picture of my car in my poorly lit parking garage!

Click for bigger.

Next weekend's project: Headlight polishing, and maybe a transmission fluid change if I pick up some oil.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Going to look at the elusive 05 Legacy GT Limited wagon 5MT for sale nearby tomorrow. Anything I should check out specifically? 120k miles.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

DreamOn13 posted:

Going to look at the elusive 05 Legacy GT Limited wagon 5MT for sale nearby tomorrow. Anything I should check out specifically? 120k miles.

Oil change interval records. If its been 7k + id be worried.

Compression test and leak down. PPI.

Buy it and make me sad and miss mine

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

This is a timely discussion!

I was going to post to ask what fluids I need to be able to do the transmission and diffs in my STi. Just a shitload of Extra-S?

Same for a 2010 OBS? (5spd)

You would want proper LSD gear oil for the rear diff.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Amandyke posted:

You would want proper LSD gear oil for the rear diff.

Not in a subaru, they use a sealed viscus unit for the LSD. The gear oil doesn't actually touch the LSD bits.

Now, if you have an 80's rx turbo that has an LSD, that has a clutch type one that needs special gear oil. But that's not what we're talking about.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
STIs aren't viscous in the rear, they're helical (I think Torsen and clutch type in some models as well). They absolutely need LSD oil.

http://www.subarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=1063

Check what the manual says to use.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 13, 2012

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

In the US, the 04-06 STi has a plated rear diff so using the OEM LSD oil is a good idea. 07+ is Torsen so what you use in them isn't as important.

For a non-sti use whatever (the extra-s works fine if you're buying it anyway).

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 13, 2012

nm
Jan 28, 2008

DreamOn13 posted:

Beyond the leakdown, which is vital.

Any weird turbo issues. Some of these cars had wonky turbos. I'm at 120k mu myself and min is fine though.

Boost leaks. They can be fairly minor but annoying. The expensive one is if the TMIC lets go. Look for oil where blow-by has come out.

Make sure the transmission feels ok. Now, subaru 5 speeds don't feel ok by default, but it shouldn't grid. There is a bit more whine than you might be used to and it does feel like shifting in rocks.

The inner CV boots, particularly the one on the passenger side. Wheel bearings. There is supposedly a problem with the rear ones, but the only rear one I've replaced was due to the abs sensor dying (it is attached). The front ones have died twice each though.

Tires need to actually match.

Coolant leak from radiator.

Intake hose can be pretty brittle.

Oil leaks from the hoses on top of th engine. These are getting to be the bane of my existence.

You need new shocks. I recommend RCEs ;) (Not, but at 120k, the shocks will be blown)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Car was thrashed. Rust in front of the rear wheel, interior smelled terrible and all surfaces were scratched and messed up (spots all over the console, dunno wtf that was but looked like it stained it), shift boot and ebrake boot ripped, scratches all over the outside, all 4 wheels curbed, and it was smoking through the hood scoop when stopped and smelled like burning oil. It seemed like it was coming from near the top front but the engine cover blocked my view. Turbo made quite a bit of noise which I wasn't expecting, not sure if it was going bad (smoke?) or if that was normal (most stock turbo cars aren't that loud) It just looked like somebody's beater. :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That sounds like a classic banjo bolt filter getting clogged and hosing the turbo due to lack of attention to oil changes.

The rest of it is just sloppy, sloppy maintenance.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That sounds like a classic banjo bolt filter getting clogged and hosing the turbo due to lack of attention to oil changes.

The rest of it is just sloppy, sloppy maintenance.

Offer him $5k and swap the turbo.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Not worth it to me. It was a $6k car (to me) before the smoking started. Now I'm not even interested. If I had a heated garage, sure.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

Amandyke posted:

No dealership I have been to in the northern Los Angeles area or central valley has any idea what extra-s is, except for one guy who said "we don't do that here."

If somebody buys the big drum I will be the first one in line to buy extra-s from you .

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Rontalvos posted:

No dealership I have been to in the northern Los Angeles area or central valley has any idea what extra-s is, except for one guy who said "we don't do that here."

If somebody buys the big drum I will be the first one in line to buy extra-s from you .

Yimi-Sport probably has it in stock and I used to buy cans of it from Santa Monica Subaru all the time.

As for the group buy thing my local dealer didn't give me good enough pricing so I'm not doing one.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

DreamOn13 posted:

Not worth it to me. It was a $6k car (to me) before the smoking started. Now I'm not even interested. If I had a heated garage, sure.

The smoking is almost certainly the least of your problem. Any oil leak on the right side will fall onto the exhaust manifold. When mine did, it was a $20 hose. Wasn't even using much oil, but sure did look scary.
The rest of the stuff, particularly the turbo seems more scary.
The other major cause of smoke is inner CV boot failures on that side, which splash grease on the exhaust.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

jamal posted:

Yimi-Sport probably has it in stock and I used to buy cans of it from Santa Monica Subaru all the time.

As for the group buy thing my local dealer didn't give me good enough pricing so I'm not doing one.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to check both of them out, I've been getting so discouraged as of late and my shifts are slowly getting more difficult.

If slow is fast or amandyke buy a barrel, I am ready to paypal them money for enough to do my oil change.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
What's the shelf life of an opened can/jug/barrel (whatever you want to call a 20L container of it) of Extra S?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

nm posted:

The other major cause of smoke is inner CV boot failures on that side, which splash grease on the exhaust.
That causes a unique smell, no?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Faerunner posted:

What's the shelf life of an opened can/jug/barrel (whatever you want to call a 20L container of it) of Extra S?
Usually oil doesn't really go bad. Or at least I hope it doesn't because I've got like ten jugs of Rotella on the go.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

If it's synthetic I believe you have something long like five or ten years before it breaks down to the point that it's considered bad; I believe natural oil breaks down much faster than synthetic but I can't really say, and this is based on knowledge of chemistry instead of first hand experience, so it could be wrong.

Hope this helps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The fun answer would be to send a sample to Blackstone Labs and see.