Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Roger Explosion posted:

Jones is so selfish. If only she would submit herself to scientific research, we could perhaps find a way to develop new shields and armors for our fighting men and women in their war on terrorism.

What I am basically saying is Jones hates freedom. :911:

She'll submit to research as soon as someone figures out a way to take a sample off her. :smugbert:

I hope I'm not accidentally calling exactly what's going to happen with Coyote's tooth. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
Jones is a dead assassin for the Divine Order.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Yeesh. Killing Jones would probably be as easy as cutting a shadow from the floor.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Did anybody else get the impression that Jones knows she can't be broken because she's tried, over and over? 4 billion years is a long time to be alone and confused :smith:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Violen posted:

If she has no desires, why concern herself with the goings-on of humanity at all? Even from an academic standpoint, even out of pure dispassionate intellectual interest, the most pessimistic answer to her choices still says there's more to her than she's willing to ascribe to herself simply by virtue of her having made them.

What the hell else is she gonna do?

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Zenzirouj posted:

Did anybody else get the impression that Jones knows she can't be broken because she's tried, over and over? 4 billion years is a long time to be alone and confused :smith:

I get that as well. Over that amount of time, I'm sure out of curiosities sake she has tried to off herself in one way or another.

Can Jones even be curious?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Smelly posted:

I get that as well. Over that amount of time, I'm sure out of curiosities sake she has tried to off herself in one way or another.

Can Jones even be curious?

I bet sitting in all that lava had something to do with trying to die.

I wonder if there are any more Jones, just ones who haven't been dug up yet.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Zenzirouj posted:

Well I mean she had to stand in front of a bison a first time at one point. That and waking up underwater and the first thing she saw was a giant sea scorpion I guess she probably got the idea pretty quickly that she couldn't be harmed.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Jones is an enlightened being from a previous kalpa who has mastered the supreme attainment of the vajra body.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

VanSandman posted:

I bet sitting in all that lava had something to do with trying to die.

I wonder if there are any more Jones, just ones who haven't been dug up yet.

But how would Jones know that lava should be able to kill her?

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.
I think she has to have some kind of feelings or emotion. She appears to follow a moral code of a sort, which would require the ability to feel guilt.

Who said she seems autistic or possibly sociopathic earlier? Like people who emulate emotion and social niceties in order to fit in. Her scene where she comforted Eglamore looked dispassionate but later when they're watching the dragons he looks genuinely pleased to see her, so she must reciprocate something to him that makes him believe she's not just pretending. Even if she's expressionless her actions make her seem to have more depth than that.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
For some reason I keep going back to metal. I know Jones is neither a robot nor a golem, but throughout reading this chapter I keep thinking "living metal" or something along those lines.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

SynthOrange posted:

You broke your stone, Jones. :smith:

Given that the stone seems crafted, I wonder if it didn't belong to some australopithecine she used to hang with a few hundred thousand years ago.

If so, maybe breaking it was meant as a demonstration of lack of sentimentality?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
What if these are false memories?

Implanted, perhaps, by a certain individual who can manipulate memories.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

If only there was an ethereal sword that can literally cut through anything. Then Jones might have a problem.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Gnome de plume posted:

Jones is the hardest subtance known to man.

She is well 'ard.

So she's the seed bismuth? :haw:

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Prediction: The next page is Jones going "I cannot break." Followed by the myriad of ways she's tried to off herself because the :smith:-train never ends.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

pik_d posted:

Well I mean she had to stand in front of a bison a first time at one point. That and waking up underwater and the first thing she saw was a giant sea scorpion I guess she probably got the idea pretty quickly that she couldn't be harmed.

Sure, it could be that she's just been around long enough for basically everything to have happened to her, but I just got the impression of attempted self-inflicted harm. If only out of boredom or curiosity to see what might actually hurt her, having witnessed all manner of fragile beings that break at the slightest touch. Her saying that the opposite of Jones is "a thing that can be broken" is a pretty confident assertion.

I can imagine her standing on a cliff in prehistoric Mexico, gazing cooly at Chicxulub, thinking to herself, "show me what you got, motherfucker."

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Freudian posted:

But how would Jones know that lava should be able to kill her?

Well, it was pretty good at melting the still-solid cool stones around her.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zenzirouj posted:

I can imagine her standing on a cliff in prehistoric Mexico, gazing cooly at Chicxulub, thinking to herself, "show me what you got, motherfucker."

At least inasmuch as it's possible to think something like that when you've never been exposed to even the concept of language ever.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

I think she has to have some kind of feelings or emotion. She appears to follow a moral code of a sort, which would require the ability to feel guilt.

Who said she seems autistic or possibly sociopathic earlier? Like people who emulate emotion and social niceties in order to fit in. Her scene where she comforted Eglamore looked dispassionate but later when they're watching the dragons he looks genuinely pleased to see her, so she must reciprocate something to him that makes him believe she's not just pretending. Even if she's expressionless her actions make her seem to have more depth than that.

Jones may be dispassionate and unmotivated by any desires relating to herself, but she obviously feels compelled to interact with others and behave in such a way as to promote positive relationships. And for as many examples as we've had of people reacting poorly to her, there are just as many that seem to respond with affection - her 19th century charge who remembers her in his old age, Jones Mk. I at the filling station, and her practically life-long relationship with James Eglamore.

Though the more I think about it, the more :smith: Eglamore and Jones's relationship is. He's chosen a relationship with a woman who can't hurt him the way Surma did, because she has none of the personal desires that prompted Surma to leave him. (Whatever those might be) He's settled, really, trading passion for constancy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well good, because passion is for butts. :colbert:

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Fighting Trousers posted:

Jones may be dispassionate and unmotivated by any desires relating to herself, but she obviously feels compelled to interact with others and behave in such a way as to promote positive relationships. And for as many examples as we've had of people reacting poorly to her, there are just as many that seem to respond with affection - her 19th century charge who remembers her in his old age, Jones Mk. I at the filling station, and her practically life-long relationship with James Eglamore.

Though the more I think about it, the more :smith: Eglamore and Jones's relationship is. He's chosen a relationship with a woman who can't hurt him the way Surma did, because she has none of the personal desires that prompted Surma to leave him. (Whatever those might be) He's settled, really, trading passion for constancy.

All while wondering how Surma could leave him for someone so cold and withdrawn.

Combined with keeping Surma's knife I'm pretty sure it's safe to say Jimmy Jims has issues.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

farraday posted:

All while wondering how Surma could leave him for someone so cold and withdrawn.

Combined with keeping Surma's knife I'm pretty sure it's safe to say Jimmy Jims has issues.

Please don't undress the female students, James.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
There's definitely something still missing in the Jones story. Rereading the archives, I noted when she touched Shadow on the head and then proceeded to give him candy and hide him for Annie. She's got to have some kind of personal interest, even if it's emotionless. I'm curious as to what it is.
Also, Tom mentioned on Formspring that Jones lies. Why would she?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fecha posted:

There's definitely something still missing in the Jones story. Rereading the archives, I noted when she touched Shadow on the head and then proceeded to give him candy and hide him for Annie. She's got to have some kind of personal interest, even if it's emotionless. I'm curious as to what it is.

Like she said outright, he's unique. Jones probably has a special affinity for something new after the last two-and-a-bit billion years.

Mido posted:

If only there was an ethereal sword that can literally cut through anything. Then Jones might have a problem.

Coyote said the sword could cut the very earth.

Uh ohhhhh

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
I dunno, Jones's little displays of affection could be the result of thousands of years of examination. Hundreds of generations of trial and error where she figures out what those facial expressions mean and what people respond best to.

It's exemplified by Dr Disaster's crush. It's baldly obvious he's smitten, but Jones's response to it is utterly diplomatic and analytical. She accepts the gifts, then discretely passes them out, encouraging Smit and Parley's relationship in the process.

It's a cool take, honestly. Instead of I AM (like) A ROBOT EMOTION ILLOGICAL, it's a calm and patient study of what people feel. She 'gets' emotions, understands how important they are to the human condition. She just doesn't really have them.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

M.c.P posted:

I dunno, Jones's little displays of affection could be the result of thousands of years of examination. Hundreds of generations of trial and error where she figures out what those facial expressions mean and what people respond best to.

It's exemplified by Dr Disaster's crush. It's baldly obvious he's smitten, but Jones's response to it is utterly diplomatic and analytical. She accepts the gifts, then discretely passes them out, encouraging Smit and Parley's relationship in the process.

It's a cool take, honestly. Instead of I AM (like) A ROBOT EMOTION ILLOGICAL, it's a calm and patient study of what people feel. She 'gets' emotions, understands how important they are to the human condition. She just doesn't really have them.

This makes the most sense and is the most sad of all because Jones is a completely likable character. If anything bad happens to her I will be devastated. To make a character like this so sympathetic is amazing.

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

M.c.P posted:

So basically what I'm taking from this is that in spite of her inability to feel emotion, she still "likes" people and wants to help them. And in a way, that makes her actions even more noble and altruistic, because she's not programmed to feel satisfaction or joy for helping people like we are.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Maybe she's been sent back in time from the far future?

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
I guess Jones can't really have much creativity or imagination either. She seems to move along with world events rather than affect them. Also I suppose there's the question of etheric beings, who come into existence through man's desire to rationalise and create narrative.

Can an etheric being cause another to come into being?

(Assuming Coyote is right about anything)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Humans came into being because Jones was so bored she imagined them.

But she's still bored.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

M.c.P posted:

Extrapolating further, I think I can figure out why she'd help people. Maybe there was a time when she destroyed to see what would happen, but building things - especially relationships among people - has far more interesting results. Perhaps Jones is trying not to be bored.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Cat Mattress posted:

Humans came into being because Jones was so bored she imagined them.

But she's still bored.

Everything came into being because Jones was bored. That the only reason anything happens. The moment she is actually entertained by something, the universe will cease to exist.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Boredom, or conversely an urge to explore things that are interesting, are also emotions though.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

MikeJF posted:

Boredom, or conversely an urge to explore things that are interesting, are also emotions though.

Are they? Could be an instinctive drive to seek out new life and new civilizations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Emotions are instinctive drives.

There's a good chance this is about to devolve into a semantics argument, isn't there.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

MikeJF posted:

Emotions are instinctive drives.

There's a good chance this is about to devolve into a semantics argument, isn't there.

Do you consider 100% good?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Jones: Not a robot.

She is a Magic Robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Man, what did Elgamore expect, fighting her?