Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Scientastic posted:

You can dry them in the oven and then either grind them up as chilli powder, or put them into oil to make chilli oil. Leave the oven door slightly ajar, set it to the lowest temperature and leave the chillies in there for a long time.

demonR6 posted:

That is another good one, I like to use chili oil for Szechuan dishes. The store bought oil I get does not seem to pack enough punch. I have had some before at a Mongolian BBQ and it felt like my face was going to melt off. Thanks!

From a few pages back but I've had some chili infused oils that rocked my world and I'd love to try to make them myself. I've just been worried about infusing oils and not knowing how long they last, anyone have experience with doing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I just bought some Mexican cream because it was on sale. What is it, and do you guys have any recommended uses for it?

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

EVG posted:

If you're already adding cream cheese, why not look at recipes for a pumpkin cheesecake?
Ah, I wasn't clear. I haven't decided one way or the other on whether to add cream cheese, I was just wondering if it was something that would work if I were to fluff it up (can you even do that? I envisioned mixing it with heavy cream and whisking for a bit). But yeah, pumpkin cheesecake is on my to-do list!

Casu Marzu posted:

Whip a shitload of egg whites and fold that into the batter right before baking.
I wondered about this, but wasn't sure if there was anything in particular to it. Do I just get it to a meringue-like consistency and mix it in?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Zenzirouj posted:

Ah, I wasn't clear. I haven't decided one way or the other on whether to add cream cheese, I was just wondering if it was something that would work if I were to fluff it up (can you even do that? I envisioned mixing it with heavy cream and whisking for a bit). But yeah, pumpkin cheesecake is on my to-do list!

I wondered about this, but wasn't sure if there was anything in particular to it. Do I just get it to a meringue-like consistency and mix it in?

Yep, beat them stiff and then fold them in gently. I have a colonial-era cake recipe that uses this method instead of any kind of leavening agent, and it results in a remarkably fluffy cake.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

RazorBunny posted:

Yep, beat them stiff and then fold them in gently. I have a colonial-era cake recipe that uses this method instead of any kind of leavening agent, and it results in a remarkably fluffy cake.
When you say cake, did you mean pie? Or are you talking about the cheesecake idea?

On a completely different note, is there any other kind of fat or combination of ingredients that will work like bacon fat does (great flavor, good cooking material, etc)? I'm guessing no, but thought it might be worth asking about. I'm trying to phase out pork, but bacon grease and pulled pork bbq are the only two things I'm really being tempted by. Specifically, I have a lot of button mushrooms to get through and my usual tactic would just be sauteing a buttload of them in bacon grease.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Zenzirouj posted:

How do you guys like to make pumpkin pie? I love pies and the flavor of pumpkin, but the density of it turns me off pretty quikcly. I'd like to experiment with fluffing it up a bit and/or making it creamier. Right now I haven't had any ideas other than whisking cream cheese and some heavy cream into the filling right before baking it; I have no idea if that will work or not.

I think the cream cheese would make it heavier.

I found this when i was looking at pie recipies a couple days ago, it might be what you are looking for.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/pumpkin-chiffon-pie-recipe/index.html

Zenzirouj posted:

When you say cake, did you mean pie? Or are you talking about the cheesecake idea?

On a completely different note, is there any other kind of fat or combination of ingredients that will work like bacon fat does (great flavor, good cooking material, etc)? I'm guessing no, but thought it might be worth asking about. I'm trying to phase out pork, but bacon grease and pulled pork bbq are the only two things I'm really being tempted by. Specifically, I have a lot of button mushrooms to get through and my usual tactic would just be sauteing a buttload of them in bacon grease.

I haven't used it but duck fat is thrown around as a sub for bacon.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

From a few pages back but I've had some chili infused oils that rocked my world and I'd love to try to make them myself. I've just been worried about infusing oils and not knowing how long they last, anyone have experience with doing this?

Chilli oil lasts years. If the chillies are properly dried, there's absolutely no reason they can't keep forever. You can even top up the oil once it runs out, and re-use the dried chillies. Eventually, the oil starts to lose its oomph, though.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Zenzirouj posted:

yeah, I'd whip until you get really, really stiff peaks, like you were making a meringue, then fold in and bake.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And remember when folding in meringue, do it in thirds. Each third will lighten the mix and make it easier to incorporate the next third without destroying the meringue.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I just bought some Mexican cream because it was on sale. What is it, and do you guys have any recommended uses for it?

It's sour cream, just with a lighter and more liquid consistency than you're used to. Put it on everything it is awesome.

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.
I have a question about storage.

I'm going to be trying out a new hamburger recipe from the Getting Swole in the Kitchen Megathread over in YLLS (nothing terribly special about the recipe in itself) and I'm not sure what the best way to store the burgers is. I'm used to just using lean ground beef with no extra stuff in it so I could just buy a pound or two, divvy it up, and stick it in the freezer to cook later as is. This recipe includes and egg, onions and some worcestershire sauce so I'm not sure if that's the best idea.

So my question is, after I mix up my two pounds' worth of burger, should I cook them then and store them in freezer/fridge for later reheating or can I store the raw burgers in freezer/fridge and cook them the day I want to eat them? The last ones would be eaten up to five days after I mix up the ingredients.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If it's just five days, cook them and leave them in the fridge. You could keep them raw no problem in the fridge for about 2-3 days (hell, depending on your meat, five days might even be fine) and the freezer for the rest if you prefer, but I'm lazy and would just cook them all at once and reheat as needed.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I keep raw burger about five days max and never have had a problem, but yea there's not much harm in just making the patties and reheating as you need them if they're just normal burgers.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I have two very close friends who are a couple, and pretty soon I'm going to be spending a weekend at their house. I want to make a mind-blowing meal for them, because they've been very kind to me, and being that they're from the south, have made me some pretty amazing comfort food in the past. They even taught me to embrace and love okra, and the one of their parents has a farm in MS that grows okra and butter beans, so I have a constant supply of it these days.

I live near a lamb farm, so I have access to some wonderful fresh lamb, and they're requesting a lamb meal, because neither of them have ever cooked it before.

A year or so ago I (stupidly, I know) made an ossu bucco recipe from... aghast... Rachel Ray, because it had great reviews. It was OK, but nothing I'd make again.

I just want something really mind-blowing, over the top, involving lamb, and I'm not very creative when it comes to cooking so I wouldn't mind a whole-meal suggestion, meaning sides and such. Any ideas? I'm very open and, when given a recipe, pretty drat sufficient in the kitchen.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

TastyLemonDrops posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3409478&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post391478734

The rajas with crema recipe here would be my choice, but yeah--just put it on anything.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Zenzirouj posted:

No, it's a fancy pound cake for Epiphany. You give it loft by separating the eggs and adding the whites last, after beating them to stiff peaks, right before it goes into the oven. Otherwise the cake would be super dense, since it has no baking soda or powder or anything else to fluff it up. The filling for a pumpkin pie should work the same way as the cake batter.

If I can dig up the recipe I'll post it, it's great for the holidays. I picked it up at Mount Vernon one Christmas. I know it's a pound of butter, a pound of flour, a pound of sugar, and a pound of fruit, plus ten eggs. It also has spices, wine, and brandy. There's an egg white based icing that goes with it, too.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I want to practice making mother sauces. I've noticed that several variations of espagnole and tomate contain pork. Do these sauces necessarily have to contain pork? I ask because I can't eat it. :smith:

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.
OK, cool. I'll just cook them up and leave them in the fridge then. Thanks!

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
Okay so, I'm going to my first ever thanksgiving dinner where I'm expected to cook and bring something. I signed up for candied yams, because looking the recipe up online showed it should be fairly simple. I plan on making two pans, just slightly different than each other.

From what I'm understanding, the base is just yams, peeled and cubed/sliced up and cooked in water until almost done/done. Is that right or the best way to cook them? I'm a very novice cook, so I don't know jack.

Then, I was planning on taking half and mashing them with butter, cinnamon and brown sugar, before putting them in a pan and adding marshmallows. The other half I'm at a loss - the person who's house I'm going to says they normally do canned with butter and brown sugar just roasted in a pan. So does that mean I can just substitute the canned ones for the boiled ones I'm making? Or will the taste be off?

Please don't kill me for the marshmallow one - I'm going to basically a house full of goons who, if I don't make one with marshmallows, will more than likely bitch about how it's 'not made right'. I know it can be considered a 'travesty' but yeah.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

bosko posted:

I have a friend who's fairly a beginner cook. He just moved out and he loves all kinds of curry. I'd like to get him a house-warming gift that includes a great book plus some spices. Can anyone recommend a great book along these lines? There's just so many, hard to choose :(

http://www.amazon.com/Alternative-Vegan-International-Straight-Produce/dp/1604865083
and
http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Indian-Cooking-Julie-Sahni/dp/0688037216/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1352882694&sr=1-1&keywords=julie+sahni

The first is by dino., an honored member of this forum, even if hes vegan. Still honored. Tghe second is by Julie Sahni, who is excellent (hella sick-nasty even) but not a member of this forum.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I want to make Japanese food tonight but can't get hold of sushi or sticky rice to serve with it. I am thinking of cooking regular long grain rice without washing it first. Any other ideas for good substitutes?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Chili is forever.
Fresh garlic for a max of 14 days (if you're not going to use it for injecting in celebrities)
Garlic confit for years

Basically - use dried herbs, that will hold much longer than fresh (because of the water, and the subsequent anarobic decomposing of the fresh)

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

therattle posted:

I want to make Japanese food tonight but can't get hold of sushi or sticky rice to serve with it. I am thinking of cooking regular long grain rice without washing it first. Any other ideas for good substitutes?
Risotto rice would probably be a lot better.

I've seen spelt used too

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CloseFriend posted:

I want to practice making mother sauces. I've noticed that several variations of espagnole and tomate contain pork. Do these sauces necessarily have to contain pork? I ask because I can't eat it. :smith:

The espagnole should not have to have pork, no. For both the meat and the stock aspects you can use beef or veal just fine in it. I almost always see it as cow based rather than pig, in fact.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

criscodisco posted:

I have two very close friends who are a couple, and pretty soon I'm going to be spending a weekend at their house. I want to make a mind-blowing meal for them, because they've been very kind to me, and being that they're from the south, have made me some pretty amazing comfort food in the past. They even taught me to embrace and love okra, and the one of their parents has a farm in MS that grows okra and butter beans, so I have a constant supply of it these days.

I live near a lamb farm, so I have access to some wonderful fresh lamb, and they're requesting a lamb meal, because neither of them have ever cooked it before.

A year or so ago I (stupidly, I know) made an ossu bucco recipe from... aghast... Rachel Ray, because it had great reviews. It was OK, but nothing I'd make again.

I just want something really mind-blowing, over the top, involving lamb, and I'm not very creative when it comes to cooking so I wouldn't mind a whole-meal suggestion, meaning sides and such. Any ideas? I'm very open and, when given a recipe, pretty drat sufficient in the kitchen.

A rack of lamb is impressive and delicious. You could do Thomas Keller's from Ad Hoc:

http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/42411

The book suggests serving a potato gratin and braised endive with the rack of lamb. You also can't go wrong getting yourself a copy of Ad Hoc and doing a few dishes from it, like the potato pave from Ad Hoc which is basically a fancy potato gratin. Add a nice rustic bread and it'll be amazing.. check out some cold fermented, no or low knead recipes that are not difficult but produce wonderful results.

For dessert, try a basque cake. It's not the prettiest cake but it's really good and can definitely blow minds once someone takes a bite into this unassuming looking cake. I sprung one on my boyfriend's family at our annual beach trip and his sister's friend, after her first taste, with wide eyes exclaimed "Michelle, what did you do??!?"

Pastry cream:

1. Over medium heat, heat 1.5 cups of dairy (whole milk or whole milk + cream depending on how rich you want it) with 1/4 cup sugar and a pinch of salt
2. Whisk 3 egg yolks with 1 tablespoon plus 1-2 more teaspoons sugar until the sugar has dissolved. Then add in 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and whisk until the yolks thicken and look pale yellow
3. Once the dairy comes to a simmer, temper the yolks by whisking in half of the hot dairy into the yolks gradually. Then pour the yolk mixture into the pot and whisk to combine
4. Bring back to a simmer and simmer for about half a minute, until the whole mixture is thickened
5. Off heat whisk in 2 tablespoons of cold butter and a teaspoon of vanilla extract
6. Strain the pastry cream (unless you don't care if it's not completely smooth) into a bowl and press plastic wrap onto the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Let cool for 2-3 hours in the fridge. You can also make the pastry cream in advance up to two days.

Fruit filling:

1. Take some fruit, cherries or plums work well. Peel the skin if you wish, then slice the fruit (or cut cherries in half).
2. Heat a tablespoon of butter in a saute pan over medium high heat
3. Add the fruit and saute until soft and some of the liquid from the fruit has cooked off. Add a bit of sugar if the fruit needs it and a pinch of salt. Set aside to cool

Cake:

Preheat oven to 325 F

1. Melt 3/4 cup butter. Zest and juice an orange to obtain 1/3 cup of juice
2. Sift together 2 cups of AP flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt
3. Beat 3 eggs with 1 1/4 cups of sugar on high speed for a few minutes
4. Reduce speed and add in the zest and juice of the orange
5. Add in a third of your flour mixture and beat to combine, then half the melted butter. Repeat with the rest of flour and butter, mixing to combine with each addition.
6. Pour about half of the cake batter into a prepared 9" cake pan or springform pan (lining with parchment paper works well)
7. Layer the pastry cream on top, but keep the pastry cream from the edges of the cake pan
8. Spoon the fruit filling on top of the pastry cream
9. Top with the rest of the cake batter. To keep the pastry cream from seeping to the edges, you'll want to spoon the batter on top and gently use a spatula to spread the batter to the edges of the pan
10. Sprinkle the top of the cake with sliced or slivered almonds.
11. Bake for 50 minutes, then start checking on the cake. Pull the cake out when it doesn't jiggle too loosely in the center, it could take up to 65-70 minutes in the oven. If the almonds are starting to brown to the point that they may burn but the cake is not done yet, cover with some foil.
12. Let the cake cool completely, then remove from the cake pan. If you used a springform pan this makes it much easier.
13. Before serving use a strainer to sprinkle a bit of powdered sugar on top

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

criscodisco posted:

I don't know if it fully qualifies as mind-blowing, but if you have archives, you can see my lamb prep. Pretty traditional, but also beautiful and tasty.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3237844

edit: if you don't have archives but you're interested, let me know and I'll see if I can c&p with the links intact.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 14, 2012

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

mich posted:

For dessert, try a basque cake. It's not the prettiest cake but it's really good and can definitely blow minds once someone takes a bite into this unassuming looking cake. I sprung one on my boyfriend's family at our annual beach trip and his sister's friend, after her first taste, with wide eyes exclaimed "Michelle, what did you do??!?"

Do this.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I don't know if it fully qualifies as mind-blowing, but if you have archives, you can see my lamb prep. Pretty traditional, but also beautiful and tasty.

edit: if you don't have archives but you're interested, let me know and I'll see if I can c&p with the links intact.

That recipe is on the wiki. It was also delicious when I made it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kenning posted:

That recipe is on the wiki. It was also delicious when I made it.

Oh poo poo son, thanks.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

mich posted:

A rack of lamb is impressive and delicious. You could do Thomas Keller's from Ad Hoc:

If you've got access to a farm then you can probably get saddle, which is another impressive-but-easy procedure (assuming you can get it boned out).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEXHl2xB6D0

I did this recipe for last Easter and it was awesome, pulled it at medium rare and it was beautiful. The fat cap might be a little much but it does keep things nice and MOIST.

Whenever I don't know what to do with veggies I'll make a buttery puree. This works quite well with kohlrabi and I think for butterbeans as well. Boil them til tender, then puree them up with butter and salt (cream or something if you need to loosen it) until you get the right consistency. This could be the base of your lamb plate. You could also go halves with potato or some other root veggies, too. The color might be off, so maybe you can add some spinach or peas to greenify.

Okra.. um well while the lamb is roasting you can make some like okra fritters? Or fried okra pickles, would that work like fried pickles? I don't know but it sounds interesting.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My parents just got a full lamb butchered and this looks amazing. Hopefully they have the rack, since I don't really remember the last lamb they bought coming with it but I could easily be forgetting it, so I can give this a go

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Okay goons, here's my predicament. Holiday cookie season is coming into full swing here soon, and I have a crazing for tea- based things. I'm wondering what the best way to get a strong black tea undertone into a cookie is- I'll be doing mostly shortbread cookies. My problem is is that I'm a novice cook- I'll be off to culinary school soon, but for right now I have not a making GBS threads clue on how to do anything that's not already in a cook book. Help, please?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

NerdyNautilusGirl posted:

Okay goons, here's my predicament. Holiday cookie season is coming into full swing here soon, and I have a crazing for tea- based things. I'm wondering what the best way to get a strong black tea undertone into a cookie is- I'll be doing mostly shortbread cookies. My problem is is that I'm a novice cook- I'll be off to culinary school soon, but for right now I have not a making GBS threads clue on how to do anything that's not already in a cook book. Help, please?

There are three ways I can think of.

1. make a tea infused butter. :420: Basically, simmer tea leaves in butter, cool and reharden or use melted depending on which recipe you use.

2. make a tea tincture. put tea in vodka, steep for a week or so. filter out and replace vanilla in cookie recipe.

unsure about which of these two would be most effective because it depends on which flavors in tea are oil and/or alcohol soluble. You could always do both.

3. treat like a spice and grind into a fine powder. This will probably be the weakest flavor presentation of the 3 but will be "full spectrum" so to speak

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

If you can get hold of some black tea matcha, I would say use it in place of chocolate in a recipe that calls for cocoa powder.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

RazorBunny posted:

If you can get hold of some black tea matcha, I would say use it in place of chocolate in a recipe that calls for cocoa powder.

Does that even exist? maccha is by definition green tea.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Perfect, thanks dudes. I'll try all three methods (and look into the maccha) and report back with which one presents the most tea flavor.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
I think I'm pretty decent with a knife, considering I've been cutting at things for a while without managing to slice myself open. (Using a mandoline is a whole different story oh god my thumg) I think I could be better, faster, more efficient. I know my offhand grip on food is not the most effective. Do you have any favorite knife technique videos that I could look at to see what I'm doing differently?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Charmmi posted:

I think I'm pretty decent with a knife, considering I've been cutting at things for a while without managing to slice myself open. (Using a mandoline is a whole different story oh god my thumg) I think I could be better, faster, more efficient. I know my offhand grip on food is not the most effective. Do you have any favorite knife technique videos that I could look at to see what I'm doing differently?

Jacques Pepin is the best ever, get these:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Pepin-Techniques-Recipes/dp/B000LXHJZA/ref=pd_sim_b_3

http://www.amazon.com/Jacques-Pepins-Technique-Complet-Pepin/dp/1579121659

The book has full step-by-step pictures for every recipe which is unheard of for a cookbook, and the video has :kimchi: pepin.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Charmmi posted:

I know the CIA is kinda looked down on but the boot camp basics was a good primer. This is an excerpt from the DVD, which I will let you borrow if you'd like!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE3VYDnfHYE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

NerdyNautilusGirl posted:

Perfect, thanks dudes. I'll try all three methods (and look into the maccha) and report back with which one presents the most tea flavor.

You may want to try dropping in some lapsang souchong tea right into the mix. It's got a strong smokey black tea flavor that would be unmissable.