Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

rickiep00h posted:

They never actually went away for some of us. I mean, I don't own any anymore, but I've been waiting. Biding my time.

Not to derail too much but I just picked up the Classics line. I love them but at $20 a figure I might not keep them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

rickiep00h posted:

They never actually went away for some of us. I mean, I don't own any anymore, but I've been waiting. Biding my time.

You should own some of the new ones if you are a fan of old, the new action figures are well done, very poseable, tons of little details and just look amazing. I hope the TMNT sets look good on display, the Krang above looks great but the set its self is very meh to me. Worst comes to worst I will be buying all the turtle on Bricklink to get the team, bet that is going to cost a bit.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Zonko_T.M. posted:

I don't even like TMNT but that is pretty tempting.

Yeah they look like a lot of fun, and I look at the little action figure-style turtle figures and I actually like them for some reason. Can't quite put my finger on why.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Rhyno posted:

Not to derail too much but I just picked up the Classics line. I love them but at $20 a figure I might not keep them.

The second they release a classics Krang and/or Bebop and/or Rocksteady I will need all 4 turtles as accessories. Until then, I'm not even tempted.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
FYI target's leaked Black Friday ad have the black pearl for $75, door buster.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

"[ts posted:

xenophobe" post="409421080"]

Well that is awfully tempting. I need another to, er, "display" with my Imperial Flagship.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Hamburlgar posted:

For those of you state-side that are interested in The Sun lego promotions I have some spares! I'm mainly after minifigs from previous series.

I have:

Thor: 3
Hawkeye: 5
Quinjet: 1
City Police Boat: 0
Zombie Car: 9
City Mining Quad: 1
Ninjago: 4
LoTR Uruk Hai: 12
LoTR Frodo: 69

I have already emailed back the goon who has messaged me (and have one of each put aside for you ;) ).

The minifigs that I need are:

S1: Cheerleader, Caveman, Clown, Zombie, Skater, Robot, Wrestler, Nurse, Ninja, Spaceman, Robin Hood, Diver
S2: ALL
S3: Fisherman, Indian, Samurai, Snowboarder, Robot, Sumo, Mummy, Elf, Tennis player, Racer, Monkey, Alien, Hulu Girl, Rapper
S4: Gnome, Geisha, Musketeer, Rocker, Surfer, Viking, Frankenstein, Hockey Player, Skater, Soccer Star, Werewolf, Hazmat, Ice Skater, Scientist
S6: Sleepy Head, Surgeon, Skater, Butcher
S8: ALL

I'm happy to sell them if you don't have any figs that I need!

Either PM me here or email me at koveyd@hotmail.com

Hey man check your e-mail if you are reading this any time soon, I have your mini figures ready to go and I can not wait to get my hands on some sweet little lego sets to display around the house and at work. Just waiting on your address to ship your mini figures to.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

"[ts posted:

Why oh why do they not ship internationally? And the Canadian Target site doesn't list any stores yet.

Ira Glass Jaw
Oct 21, 2010

Guzwar posted:

Why oh why do they not ship internationally? And the Canadian Target site doesn't list any stores yet.
The first wave of targets don't open till march.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

"[ts posted:

Are they going to get a bunch of these in? I don't think I've ever seen one at Target.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Pirate Ken posted:

Are they going to get a bunch of these in? I don't think I've ever seen one at Target.

I've seen them there in the past. no idea how many they will have, the ad says "while supplies last" If you're already planning on being out, might as well, I don't think i'd get up early for it though.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

"[ts posted:

xenophobe" post="409428484"]
I've seen them there in the past. no idea how many they will have, the ad says "while supplies last" If you're already planning on being out, might as well, I don't think i'd get up early for it though.

In the past years they also put out a good supply of the big ticket item they are putting on sale. We will see I guess.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Nazzle posted:

I would post my own creations but i dont have the imagination. Tried to make an F1 car on LDD but really didnt get anywhere.

So from now on I am going to stick with trying to complete my sets with the step by step instruction.

Got to admit that Transformer makes me wish I was better at Lego!

Eh, LDD is kind of something you need to get used to, What i did when i started to learn LDD was build really small, simple things. and gradually started working up to bigger more intricate designs. The first thing i built in LDD was a tiny little vic viper, just to get used to the interface and such.

And this is a viper i'm currently working on for novvember.

After getting used to the way LDD works.I decided on a slightly bigger project so i made a couple of modular freighters/battleships.

After a good 50 or so failed attempts at getting into normal scale normal looking vehicles i worked out that i wasn't very good at realism and mostly built a bunch of steampunk looking things(you can find those earlier in the thread).

If you are having issues coming up with stuff by yourself try replicating sets or designs in LEGO, There's a company, I think they are called Ichiban who make a normandy SR2 from LEGO, It costs like 35 dollars which i thought was a bit expensive so i made my own partially based on their design.

If you are really stuck on something in LDD or need help working out how stuff works, feel free to e-mail me at (username) @ gmail.com or contact me on skype or steam, username is the same as my forums name.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Amazon.com has a load of Lego as today's lighning deals. Nothing that exciting though and they're sets that tend to be discounted a fair bit anyway.

Amazon.co.uk have Moria for 40% off. Even though I don't like the set that much I couldn't resist. Lego Sean Bean! Thanks Brick Badger! I've now bought myself Moria, Vampyre Castle and Scorpion Pyramid for Christmas. That's a lot of discount Lego.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

Do Lego stores usually have decent Black Friday sales? I'd like to pick up the pet shop, haunted house and that new Christmas village and want to know if the waiting and Black Friday bs will be worth the savings.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

Do Lego stores usually have decent Black Friday sales? I'd like to pick up the pet shop, haunted house and that new Christmas village and want to know if the waiting and Black Friday bs will be worth the savings.

Lego stores do a 'secret coupon' promotion on black friday, where you get like 10%, 20%, or 50% off. And the store will likely be packed.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Gravy Jones posted:

Amazon.com has a load of Lego as today's lighning deals. Nothing that exciting though and they're sets that tend to be discounted a fair bit anyway.

Newest deal sold out in about 45 seconds, wow.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Hmm, my local toy store had some sweet deals going but the shelves were completely empty when i came in, so instead of dicking around with a new assortment of LEGO bricks i worked on my Vic Viper some more and played around with POV-Ray. Looks a hell of a lot better than a standard LDD shot.

Shame the golden bits on it don't show up as nicely.

Just need to finalize the color-scheme on it now and then it's done!

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

Pyroclastic posted:

Lego stores do a 'secret coupon' promotion on black friday, where you get like 10%, 20%, or 50% off. And the store will likely be packed.

That just means when you check out you find out your % off?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

AzMiLion posted:

Hmm, my local toy store had some sweet deals going but the shelves were completely empty when i came in, so instead of dicking around with a new assortment of LEGO bricks i worked on my Vic Viper some more and played around with POV-Ray. Looks a hell of a lot better than a standard LDD shot.

I think the trans-blue jets(?) on the bottom really clash with everything else you have going on, particularly the trans-red and -green starboard/port lights.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

AzMiLion posted:

poo poo, that almost looks real. You could probably put some kind of reflection layer on the gold ones and they'd shine, too.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Pirate Ken posted:

I was in a local Target today and they did have two or three on the shelf, at $99.99.

I just checked on lego.com and it's sold out... what's up with that? Why would Lego itself be sold out of something that's still on store shelves?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

That just means when you check out you find out your % off?

Yes, and they usually do not allow you to change your order after you find out your discount - whatever they rang up for you is what you are buying.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Sockser posted:

I think the trans-blue jets(?) on the bottom really clash with everything else you have going on, particularly the trans-red and -green starboard/port lights.

I really like trans-blue though, as i was working on a colorscheme i added some more gubbins. I put in the LDD screenshot for reference to the colors and the difference in quality between renders.

I should probably play with the lightsources a bit to get a better/brighter colouring.

The Muffinlord posted:

poo poo, that almost looks real. You could probably put some kind of reflection layer on the gold ones and they'd shine, too.

Probably could, probably could render at higher detail as well but that would probably take a day or more.These images already take half an hour.

EDIT//
This is the tool i'm using to make my LDD files into something that POV-ray can use.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, the blue looks a lot less out of place when blue is a major component in the color scheme

vvvv this poo poo owns vvvv

Sockser fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 13, 2012

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Played with the lighting some more but i got bored of rendering the same model over and over so i grabbed an old favorite, The Normandy!

I think it came out better than the viper since it's made of big surface areas. The 2x2 wedges came out looking a bit funky though.

Played around with the various render settings and came up with a instruction manual looking thing.

And here's the Viper with brighter lighting and higher quality, only took about 2 hours to render.

click for big.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Hope this is the time and place for this. My 8 year old just did a lego robotics thing at the local university and was quite excited by it, now very much wants a Lego Mindstorms NXT 2.0 kit for christmas. Which is not impossible, though 250$ is probably in the "this is from your grandma and grandpa, mom and dad, and your cousins and uncles for the next two years" territory, as far as gift-spending goes.

So, is the 250$ mindstorms NXT 2.0 kit the right thing to get? Is there a Mindstorms 3.0 coming out in January that will make 2.0 suck? Is there a totally incompatible thing that will be coming out soon that I should consider instead?

Basically, talk me some lego robots, and convince me that this is a good christmas gift, or a wildly-overpriced thing that will end up gathering dust neither educating nor entertaining.

Could I get my father-son robot on for less money and more versatility and capability with another product without lego-studs on it?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Not sure if there's an exact date, but I recall reading that 3.0 was coming soon.

You might be well-served by picking up a used mind storms kit.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.
Used mindstorms kit might be the way to go. Get ver 1.0, there is still a lot of cool stuff to it. Only issue might be compatibility with Windows 7, but I have a feeling that there is probably a strong modding community that has fixed that issue. But, do your research obviously. I haven't heard anything about 3.0 but Mindstorms was never really my thing.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Amazon UK has been insane with bargains this week. Already picked up 3 big sets for between 40 and 50% off (including Moria for 40% off, sweet).

On top of that a couple of hours ago they knocked 25% off over 100 sets. A lot of them current/2012 stuff including all Lord of the Rings and Monster Fighter. Complete list at BB: http://brickbadger.com/region/UK

While 25% isn't that amazing, there's a lot of sets there that I've never seen discounted before. Something like the Orc Forge for instance.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Oh snap, Hobbit sets available for preorder and included in the 25% off sale. UK only sorry (http://brickbadger.com/themes/LORD-OF-THE-RINGS).

My gut feeling is that this is an error and they got caught up in the general sale. But if not... discounted Lego preorders? Yes please. That would be huge if it became a regular thing*

* it won't.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Heads up Canadians, Chapters/Indigo is doing a one-day 20% off sale on select sets. Some LotR, Creator, Duplo, Games, City, and Star Wars sets. Shelob Attacks is on sale for 20 bucks, and it's out of stock on the Lego Shop site, if anyone is looking to grab that sweet spider.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Just saw an article about this Japanese artist who has created pop up books out of Lego. It's probably the best MOC I've ever seen.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Any recommendations for a $200+ set? Leaning towards the Imperial Shuttle but I'm not sure.

Ol gf said she's going big this Christmas so I wanna pick something sick+nasty to display.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Any recommendations for a $200+ set? Leaning towards the Imperial Shuttle but I'm not sure.

Ol gf said she's going big this Christmas so I wanna pick something sick+nasty to display.

Depends what you're into.

Star Wars has the Shuttle, B-Wing, Death Star (probably going OOP soon), and Super Star Destroyer (B-Wing is $200, Shuttle is $260, DS and SSD are $400). R2's $180.
Technic has the Unimog, 4x4 Crawler, and Motorized Excavator (all $200).
Mindstorms NXT 2.0 is $280.
Tower Bridge is $240, and Town Hall is $200.
Robie House is $200.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

The shuttle is pretty nice, although it's fuckloads of white in un-numbered bags. Up to you whether that's a good thing or bad thing, of course.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Tower Bridge is a really nice set. It also has 585 cheese slopes, all of which you will apply one by one. I had a lot of fun building it once and I'm enjoying displaying it now, but I don't think I ever want to build it from individual bricks again.

e: It's also ~4,200 pieces, if I remember right. Hard to argue with that when you're used to the usual arithmetic of 10 cents a piece.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Death to numbered bags! :black101:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

SynthOrange posted:

Death to numbered bags! :black101:

One big pile :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I bought the excavator transporter as an early Christmas gift for a younger relative and it's sitting on the coffee table taunting me. It's taking all my will-power not to open it and start building.

The new mining theme Lego really hits my nostalgia buttons but I've made a deal with my girlfriend that I'm only going to buy the Creator houses so I can display them without taking up tons of space and without it looking too much like I collect kids toys :(