Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
I just ordered a Nexus 10, which will be my first real tablet. I have a friend with an awesome keyboard dock thing for his iPad...it's like a case that he can click his ipad into and it's propped up landscape-style with a keyboard. Does such a thing exist for the Nexus 10? Are 10" tablet accessories universal or do they have little differences that make it so you need specific ones for specific models?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Impulse bought a nexus 10 to replace my OG Transformer. The stereo front facing speakers are what sold me. The side facing ones on the Transformer always pissed me off plus it should handle HD video better then Tegra 2.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
I ordered a 32GB Nexus 10, can't wait until it comes in the mail. I'm also super-interested in some sort of keyboard-dock solution, even if it doesn't include a built-in battery like the transformer series.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I really don't like the separated settings/notification shade in 4.2. I usually do everything with my right hand and it's annoying.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

FordPRefectLL posted:

I really don't like the separated settings/notification shade in 4.2. I usually do everything with my right hand and it's annoying.

OH! That's where the settings button went to!

Also, Apex seems to be broken in 4.2

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

FordPRefectLL posted:

Neither do. I'm sure I'll get over it but it's irritating so far.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Yeah, it broke Nova too.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

kitten smoothie posted:

Is there any sort of summary on what the 4.2 update actually does on a Nexus 7, specifically? Other than the lockscreen widget and the annoying notification shade changes I'm not noticing anything. I certainly was not seeing the Gmail update with pinch to zoom that was supposedly going to happen.

You have to manually activate the Pinch to Zoom in Gmail settings (General Settings -> Auto-fit messages).

The API Overview for 4.2 actually makes a good summary: http://developer.android.com/about/versions/jelly-bean.html

EDIT: Wrong one. Fixed.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 13, 2012

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Lowen SoDium posted:

Guess I'll hold off then. Gotta have my Apex.

Here's the changelog:
http://developer.android.com/about/versions/jelly-bean.html

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Did they put the Nexus 10 cover up on the store? I can't seem to find it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Did they put the Nexus 10 cover up on the store? I can't seem to find it.

If it's anything like the Nexus 7 cover, you don't want it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Maker Of Shoes posted:

If it's anything like the Nexus 7 cover, you don't want it.

Ha. I like the attachment mechanism. I really want a slim cover like that, I don't want anything around the back of the device, I just want a screen cover.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Apparently, the Nexus 10 has a notification light...?

Why exactly?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Why exactly?

In case a notification comes in.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Which cache is it you're supposed to clear to recheck for OTA updates?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I think it's Google Services Framework but why not just sideload it?

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004

Athenry posted:

Which cache is it you're supposed to clear to recheck for OTA updates?

I can't help you there but, there wasn't any ETA on the OTA updates with the AOSP migration today.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

w00tazn posted:

I can't help you there but, there wasn't any ETA on the OTA updates with the AOSP migration today.

oh, heard it was out for the N7 and assumed they were pushing it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ordered a Nexus 10 today even though the WiFi-only is kind of meh. Still, pretty excited for it. Wasn't really sure I wanted to spring for it, but I just couldn't see getting as much use out of a 7.

Now if only I could get a 4 as well...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Why exactly?

It's the one thing I really miss on my Nexus 7.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I'm pretty solidly decided on either a Nexus 7 or 10, but I need help deciding on which of two to get.

The 7 is nice because that'd be my preferred size for a movie player. Maybe I'll weird this way but I have a real hard time focusing on the picture with a 10". (I had a A500 before this)

Though one the other hand, I'd also like to use the tablet for reading comics and PnP RPG PDFs. PDFs I'm sure are passable on the 7 as I've read PDFs on my Kindle Touch without too much issue, but I'm not so sure about comics. If someone has positive experience with comics on the 7 I think I'd be pretty much decided.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007
So nova launcher appears to be totally busted on nexus 7 4.2. It wont register any touches in the task bar section (or whatever you would call the bottom area where the app launcher button usually is.

Edit: \/ dammit I just realized I wasn't up to date. All's well

Doodarazumas fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 14, 2012

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Doodarazumas posted:

So nova launcher appears to be totally busted on nexus 7 4.2. It wont register any touches in the task bar section (or whatever you would call the bottom area where the app launcher button usually is.

There was a beta release for it earlier, and an update to the app store version that should fix those bugs.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
And posted about in this very thread.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Athenry posted:

oh, heard it was out for the N7 and assumed they were pushing it.

FYI, It just got pushed to me.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

My wife reads comics on her Nexus 7 and preferred it to my tf700 10".

After using both devices I think the 7" is a lot better form factor for a tablet unless your usage is pushing into laptop replacement territory (which I do). Even having to zoom and such it's just a lot more comfortable to read any sort of content on the 7.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

low-key-taco posted:

My wife reads comics on her Nexus 7 and preferred it to my tf700 10".

After using both devices I think the 7" is a lot better form factor for a tablet unless your usage is pushing into laptop replacement territory (which I do). Even having to zoom and such it's just a lot more comfortable to read any sort of content on the 7.

No, I'll be buying a laptop as well for laptoppy things. Thanks, probably going to go with the 7.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Geektox posted:

No, I'll be buying a laptop as well for laptoppy things. Thanks, probably going to go with the 7.

Wandering in from iPad land, I have to agree with picking the smaller tablet. 10" is fine when you have something to prop the tablet up on, but awkward in other circumstances, especially when you're traveling. I went on a trip to Germany recently, and I was using my 4G iPad constantly for maps and train info - pulling it out was always a little uncomfortable and conspicuous, even if it was a lifesaver. A 7" tablet would've been perfect, except perhaps when I was back in my room and browsing Facebook and Chrome.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

Nihiliste posted:

Wandering in from iPad land, I have to agree with picking the smaller tablet. 10" is fine when you have something to prop the tablet up on, but awkward in other circumstances, especially when you're traveling. I went on a trip to Germany recently, and I was using my 4G iPad constantly for maps and train info - pulling it out was always a little uncomfortable and conspicuous, even if it was a lifesaver. A 7" tablet would've been perfect, except perhaps when I was back in my room and browsing Facebook and Chrome.

Agreed - I moved from an iPad 1 to a Nexus 7 and I have to say I love the Nexus 7 a lot better. I can just toss it in a bag and barely know it's there until I need it.

I think that I will probably eventually get a Surface Pro or some sort of convertible ultrabook for when I need a larger screen size, that way I can also replace my obsolete laptop.

Manny Calavera
Apr 2, 2004

From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go;
Thus evermore shall rise to Thee
Glad hymns of praise from land and sea
I'm looking at buying a Nexus 10. Yesterday, ofcourse being the day of release, this guy puts up a load on ebay, over 50 cheaper than Google's price:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Google-Nexus-10-32-GB-Wifi-New-/321021061703?pt=UK_iPad_Tablets_eReaders&hash=item4abe58aa47

I can't figure it out. Who the hell is this guy and how has he done this? I sent him a message asking a few questions, but all he said was "there is no catch" (my final question was "what's the catch?").

What am I not seeing here? His feedback shows a reliable history of having sold tablets.

Edit: Ignore me, I'm a dumb schmuck

Manny Calavera fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 14, 2012

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Manny Calavera posted:

I'm looking at buying a Nexus 10. Yesterday, ofcourse being the day of release, this guy puts up a load on ebay, over 50 cheaper than Google's price:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Google-Nexus-10-32-GB-Wifi-New-/321021061703?pt=UK_iPad_Tablets_eReaders&hash=item4abe58aa47

I can't figure it out. Who the hell is this guy and how has he done this? I sent him a message asking a few questions, but all he said was "there is no catch" (my final question was "what's the catch?").

What am I not seeing here? His feedback shows a reliable history of having sold tablets.
434.99 is like $690. Google is selling the 32GB version for $500 plus tax and shipping in the US. What do they sell for in the UK?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

4.2 screensaver daydream is by default set to come on when my nexus 7 is docked.

I.e. in a dock.

:lol:

Manny Calavera
Apr 2, 2004

From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go;
Thus evermore shall rise to Thee
Glad hymns of praise from land and sea

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

434.99 is like $690. Google is selling the 32GB version for $500 plus tax and shipping in the US. What do they sell for in the UK?

Oh yeah, wait. Ignore me I'm being so dumb.
I was so distracted by the "34.99" bit I completely failed to notice the whacking great 4 at the beginning. The uk price for 32gb is roughly 390.

God, I need to wake up.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Cakefool posted:

4.2 screensaver daydream is by default set to come on when my nexus 7 is docked.

I.e. in a dock.

:lol:

Is there anything practical for Daydream or is it just a screensaver? I think it's still in the Nexus 4 and Galaxy Nexus.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You can set it to display your currents feeds, I tried that for like 10 seconds but all the make articles were showing a "video is not available at this time" splash :v:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Sent my Asus TF700 Infinity in for screen lifting issue. Hoping they don't "drop" it at the service center like XDA seems to think they do :ohdear:

Hoping I get a very sound unit back cause I can't wait to put a custom ROM on there that has some good performance.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Syrinxx posted:

Sent my Asus TF700 Infinity in for screen lifting issue. Hoping they don't "drop" it at the service center like XDA seems to think they do :ohdear:

Just use your smartphone and record yourself boxing it up and dropping it into the post office box. I do this with expensive eBay stuff so people can't blame me for shipping snafus or otherwise try to scam me about the condition of the item.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
So how long until we can expect the Nexus 10 to be available on places like Amazon or Newegg?

Boobo
Apr 9, 2007

Geektox posted:

I'm pretty solidly decided on either a Nexus 7 or 10, but I need help deciding on which of two to get.

The 7 is nice because that'd be my preferred size for a movie player. Maybe I'll weird this way but I have a real hard time focusing on the picture with a 10". (I had a A500 before this)

Though one the other hand, I'd also like to use the tablet for reading comics and PnP RPG PDFs. PDFs I'm sure are passable on the 7 as I've read PDFs on my Kindle Touch without too much issue, but I'm not so sure about comics. If someone has positive experience with comics on the 7 I think I'd be pretty much decided.

From personal experience using Komik I've really enjoyed the Nexus 7. Read all of Y the last man comfortably last week. I have to say, if you've got nice high quality CBR files you'll never need to zoom. Probably better for contemporary comics with good contrast and resolution.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
So they patched Apex for 4.2. Needless to say I have the same complaints as someone else that the changes they've made in 4.2 don't really make sense for the nexus 7.

The lockscreen widget reminding me that there is more to the left is dumb, and the dual pulldowns in portrait doesn't make much sense either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm actually contemplating rolling back to 4.1.2.

I've already had one reboot since I've updated and my N7 has never rebooted by itself before. The lock screen and notification shades are also beyond aggravating.

I may hook up my bluetooth headphones and see if I'm experiencing the seemingly widespread bluetooth issue and if so, that'll be the final straw.

So far, 4.2 is looking to be a major dud. This just smacks of "we have to push SOMETHING new out with new hardware, so slap something together." Hopefully 4.2.1 comes out soon and addresses these issues.