Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do you have $200 just rolling around in your couch cushion?

Then pay a guy to watch videos of you playing hockey and give you tips on where to improve. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO0OJBxFsio

Or you know, go all out and drop $1600 on a 12 game package.

It's an interesting idea, but goddamn they want a bunch of money for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So the goalie we played against on Monday night got a concussion from taking a slapper to the forehead by one of our centers. He's a cool dude too. Sucks. :smith:

Comedy response: He was wearing a cage.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So the goalie we played against on Monday night got a concussion from taking a slapper to the forehead by one of our centers. He's a cool dude too. Sucks. :smith:

Comedy response: He was wearing a cage.
Anyone know what kind of mask he was wearing?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

real_scud posted:

Anyone know what kind of mask he was wearing?

I'm going to bet on an Itech/Bauer Profile 1400.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

Do you have $200 just rolling around in your couch cushion?

Then pay a guy to watch videos of you playing hockey and give you tips on where to improve. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO0OJBxFsio

Or you know, go all out and drop $1600 on a 12 game package.

It's an interesting idea, but goddamn they want a bunch of money for it.

this would be cool for someone who legitimately is looking to make hockey their career.

However, for $150, I get six weeks worth of clinics here, which are 90 minutes of drills with coaches. Yeah, it's not 1v1, but I always get better, sooooo

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

xzzy posted:

Laura Stamm is probably better at explaining it than me:

http://www.laurastamm.net/The-Toe-Flick.aspx

Basically you're using the toe part of your blade to squeeze a little extra power out of every stride.
I was taught to always always use the whole blade in every power skating class I took growing up so this is weird. The natural inclination for people is to roll off their toe, though not quite like the "toe flick", but i just dont see how you get as much power pushing (or flicking) off your toe than you do the whole blade.

Cant find videos of her but this is who I took classes with on a few occassions.

http://www.cantskatecantplay.com/

e: everything about that article sounds right but I distinctly remember "dont roll off your toe" being drilled into my head.

Gio fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 15, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think you might just be misunderstanding what she's saying.. she's not saying to only use the toe in a forward stride, but rather to make sure you involve the toe at the end of it. The "toe flick" is an extension of the foot to get a tiny bit of extra energy out of the full stride (which certainly does use the entire skate blade).

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I may be misunderstanding, yeah. That or misunderstood what I was taught. Or both.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For the record, I need a "can't skate can't play" jersey. Probably with a slow moving vehicle emblem on the front for a crest.

That's an awesome name for a skills clinic company.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Gio posted:

I was taught to always always use the whole blade in every power skating class I took growing up so this is weird. The natural inclination for people is to roll off their toe, though not quite like the "toe flick", but i just dont see how you get as much power pushing (or flicking) off your toe than you do the whole blade.

Cant find videos of her but this is who I took classes with on a few occassions.

http://www.cantskatecantplay.com/

e: everything about that article sounds right but I distinctly remember "dont roll off your toe" being drilled into my head.
You know, I personally don't think it's actually the toe flick that adds that much power. It's just that in order for you to toe flick, it's necessary for you to use the rest of the blade of the blade to get there. If you don't toe flick, you could be stopping your push anywhere before the blade. But if you toe flick, it's guaranteed you used the whole blade to push.

It's kind of like following through in other sports: it's not the actual following through that helps, it's just that you have to do certain things correctly in order to get to a point where you can follow through.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
We won another game tonight. I didn't score, but I was one of the two people playing right wing because we were short, so I got a hell of a workout tonight.

I also managed, in the end, to catch up to a guy who was almost on a break away and slap the puck away from him at the blueline in the third. My stride is really starting to come back strong. I was legitimately one of the fastest skaters (if not the fastest) on many of the teams I used to play on, so I'm so happy that's coming back. Now I just need the stamina to keep it up all game.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

coldwind posted:

You know, I personally don't think it's actually the toe flick that adds that much power. It's just that in order for you to toe flick, it's necessary for you to use the rest of the blade of the blade to get there. If you don't toe flick, you could be stopping your push anywhere before the blade. But if you toe flick, it's guaranteed you used the whole blade to push.

It's kind of like following through in other sports: it's not the actual following through that helps, it's just that you have to do certain things correctly in order to get to a point where you can follow through.
This is kinda what I was thinking as well after I had posted that; the important part, like the article points out, is to push back and to the side using all parts of your blade.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Vicas posted:

We won another game tonight. I didn't score, but I was one of the two people playing right wing because we were short, so I got a hell of a workout tonight.

I also managed, in the end, to catch up to a guy who was almost on a break away and slap the puck away from him at the blueline in the third. My stride is really starting to come back strong. I was legitimately one of the fastest skaters (if not the fastest) on many of the teams I used to play on, so I'm so happy that's coming back. Now I just need the stamina to keep it up all game.

Hello RW buddy.
:hfive:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gio posted:

This is kinda what I was thinking as well after I had posted that; the important part, like the article points out, is to push back and to the side using all parts of your blade.

She goes into a lot more detail about the forward stride in her book and covers the usage of (what she calls) all three segments of the skate blade. Think the website really only exists to convince people to buy said book.

Which is a pretty interesting book to read in general, if you ever feel like reading a detailed description of basically every power skating maneuver.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

JetsGuy posted:

Hello RW buddy.
:hfive:

Right wing best wing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pretty sure they're called wingers because all they do is float.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So one of my buddies is ragging hard on my skates and says they're poo poo and I should just invest in a $700 pair already.

I currently use X3.0s, which are servicing me well. I realize they're not great skates, but I really don't think I'd even notice much of a difference if I got the high ends. I probably should have sprung for the 5.0s when I started this, but...

...he's saying I should get the 7.0s or AXPs and "have better edge control".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sneak a piece of clear tape onto his skate blades and ask him how his edge control is doing.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

JetsGuy posted:

So one of my buddies is ragging hard on my skates and says they're poo poo and I should just invest in a $700 pair already.

I currently use X3.0s, which are servicing me well. I realize they're not great skates, but I really don't think I'd even notice much of a difference if I got the high ends. I probably should have sprung for the 5.0s when I started this, but...

...he's saying I should get the 7.0s or AXPs and "have better edge control".

This is a joke.

Stay with the skates you have if they fit properly. When you need new ones reevaluate and find the best deal. There is no quick fix to edge control or any other aspect of being a better player.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So I was looking through the stuff my skateshop has for a composite for myself. I've been using the 5030s and the other night I got to try out a teammates Sherwood T90 and holy crap.

So anyway, the guy said that he could sell me the T90s for about what I can get online. However... he could also sell me the Mako (the gray one, not the lower level ones) for like $170 or the high end 2011 Stealth for ~$180.

I'M SO TORN.

sellouts posted:

This is a joke.

Stay with the skates you have if they fit properly. When you need new ones reevaluate and find the best deal. There is no quick fix to edge control or any other aspect of being a better player.

OK, thanks a bunch! :)

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Any advice for dealing with snowy conditions? Towards the latter half of sessions our ice is a complete snowy mess. My blade gets caked in snow, puck control and passes become a nightmare.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Fingers McGee posted:

Anyone here play in the Charlotte NC area? I thought there was one Carolina hockey goon. Ill be relocating next year and wondered how hockey was there. Looking around online there's a couple rinks and decent priced leagues.

Sorry I'm late to this party, but the hockey scene in Charlotte is pretty good -- there's a few tourneys a year in the Charlotte area. The Xtreme Ice Center in Indian Trail (a suburb of Charlotte, maybe 15 or 20 minutes from the city center) is incredible. I played a tournament there about a month or two ago. It has two NHL sized rinks and the Checkers (AHL) use it as a practice facility. Five Hole Sports is a really good pro shop down near the Time Warner Arena where the Checkers play. I haven't skated at any other rinks down there yet, but the Queen City Challenge is coming up in January and I'm hoping to get on a squad for it.

e: Also, I've made it from Raleigh to Charlotte in about two hours before... :blush:

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 16, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zip! posted:

Any advice for dealing with snowy conditions? Towards the latter half of sessions our ice is a complete snowy mess. My blade gets caked in snow, puck control and passes become a nightmare.

Hire ice girls or bring a shovel along.

Or man up and live with it.

better than mama
Jan 26, 2009
I just want to chime in on how hockey is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I really got into watching NHL when I got married, and last year we decided not only watch it but try it out. I didn't want to spend all the money on gear and not like it, so we started taking a how to skate class last November. It was more for figure skating but we always looked forward to it every weekend.

In the spring we found out one of our friends started playing that year at the same rink. The summer season was short so I pushed my husband to join his friend's team. I went to almost every game, and one night there were these really annoying women. Usually there was 1-2 people watching but there were 4-5 girl friends/wives and they were absolutely annoying.

That weekend I ended up with my own gear. I couldn't stand to watch another game having to listen to women yap about their stupid relationships and knowing I wasn't on the ice to take out their stupid boyfriends.I had never played hockey before, but decided to go to an open hockey 2 weeks after getting the gear. Didn't have a clue what I was doing, but had the time of my life.

Luckily the team my husband and his friend was playing had an opening for the fall-winter league. I feel bad that I don't know what I am doing, but every one on the team is super nice. Every week, it's what I look forward to. I am learning something new every time I step on the ice.

Without all the info on this thread, I don't think I would have pulled the trigger. So thanks everyone.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

JetsGuy posted:

So I was looking through the stuff my skateshop has for a composite for myself. I've been using the 5030s and the other night I got to try out a teammates Sherwood T90 and holy crap.

So anyway, the guy said that he could sell me the T90s for about what I can get online. However... he could also sell me the Mako (the gray one, not the lower level ones) for like $170 or the high end 2011 Stealth for ~$180.

I'M SO TORN.

OK, thanks a bunch! :)

That's a really, really good deal on the Mako and the Stealth. If you do decide to get one though, make sure that it's in a flex you can use with your weight/strength, and make sure it has a curve that you like. $170 is a pretty big investment and you want to make sure that you're going to be happy with it for a while. If you can, see if he'll let you see them in person to check out how they flex, where their kickpoints are and how you like the curves on them.

edit:

better than mama posted:

I just want to chime in on how hockey is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I really got into watching NHL when I got married, and last year we decided not only watch it but try it out. I didn't want to spend all the money on gear and not like it, so we started taking a how to skate class last November. It was more for figure skating but we always looked forward to it every weekend.

In the spring we found out one of our friends started playing that year at the same rink. The summer season was short so I pushed my husband to join his friend's team. I went to almost every game, and one night there were these really annoying women. Usually there was 1-2 people watching but there were 4-5 girl friends/wives and they were absolutely annoying.

That weekend I ended up with my own gear. I couldn't stand to watch another game having to listen to women yap about their stupid relationships and knowing I wasn't on the ice to take out their stupid boyfriends.I had never played hockey before, but decided to go to an open hockey 2 weeks after getting the gear. Didn't have a clue what I was doing, but had the time of my life.

Luckily the team my husband and his friend was playing had an opening for the fall-winter league. I feel bad that I don't know what I am doing, but every one on the team is super nice. Every week, it's what I look forward to. I am learning something new every time I step on the ice.

Without all the info on this thread, I don't think I would have pulled the trigger. So thanks everyone.

This is awesome. If the area you're in has stick times, try to get to them as often as possible too. They're great for working on techniques like skating, shooting and passing without having to worry about messing up in an actual game.

That being said, I still went to pick up as much as I could too, since there's no better way of testing your skills and knowing what you need to work on than actually playing in a game.

There's a pretty big learning curve but it's really awesome the whole time and I've never seen anyone really making fun of new players if they're actually trying.

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 16, 2012

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

JetsGuy posted:

I have that Mako, it's sitting in my garage with a cracked blade. I think I just lost my taste for Easton sticks after that. While I was using it, I absolutely loved it though.

Honestly if you're going to shell out that much cash, I'd recommend the Reebok 11k. That's what I'm using now, and I believe you can get one for $150 from hockeygiant/monkey/iw. I think the feel of the puck is far superior.

Either way, god luck and have fun with your new stick!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

eXXon posted:

Is allowing for ankle flexibility supposed to help skating that much, though? I tend to pronate heavily while barefoot or in shoes so I find that having poor ankle support means on my skates means that I just pronate more and have weaker strides.

It's hard for me to imagine that compared to modern ultra stiff skate boots that wrapping laces around the outside would somehow improve ankle support.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Thel posted:

<<snip: guff about me being not up to speed for a higher league in floorball>>

Followup from months ago: Scored an absolute beauty* of a solo goal tonight (first-ever non-practice goal). On the forecheck, stripped the ball off one defender, deked the other defender with a drag-back and slammed it top corner. :feelsgood: :getin:

* This is an entirely objective opinion here. :v:

You guys were all correct too - it hasn't been an issue that I'm the worst player on the team and I'm learning shitloads about the game by pushing myself to not suck.

Thel fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Nov 18, 2012

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

better than mama posted:

:)

You should also look into if there are any beginner women's programs at your rink. We have a lot of newer girls who play on their husbands' beer league teams and come out to practice with our women's tournament team, and end up becoming much smarter players than the guys on their teams because they come to actual organized practices and do drills and get coached. ;)

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Thanks for all the input on my new stick adventure dudes. Something else came up at S&P this weekend though which was kind of interesting, and I should also think about when buying my new stick.

One of my linemates came up to me during S&P and was like "dude, I think your stick is too long". Through diagnosis, the issue was that the way I have been holding my stick, the middle of the blade is on the ice with the toe clear off. So I learned that I have to hold my stick differently to put it at the angle so that the blade is on the ice. This generally is achieved by having my top hand grip the stick in a much different way than I am used to. Is this correct, a personal preference thing, or should I really just consider a much different blade if I want to not do this? I'll post pics of what I mean after the game.

I currently use a Stastny curve on my 5030

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How tall are you, and what is the stick length* and stick lie? With your skates off and the stick shaft vertical, where does the butt of the stick come up to? After taping your stick, what parts of the tape wear through first? Heel or toe?

The rule of thumb is the butt of the stick should be somewhere between the tip and bridge of your nose with your skates off. Skates on, you want it on your chin. If that checks out, you might need a bigger lie (sharper angle between the blade and the shaft).

* manufacturers have different ways of measuring sticks. Some measure only the shaft. Others put the stick up against the wall and measure the full height of blade+shaft. I personally think the blade+shaft measurement is more useful.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 19, 2012

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I'm interested in how you hold your stick

Charlie
Aug 25, 2004

It passed through unharmed!
I recently switched away from the Statsny. At a 6 lie, it was way too steep for me. I'm rocking a Bauer PM9 right now, which is a 5 lie, and I'm still wearing my tape through at the heel in one or two sessions. For what it's worth, I'm 6-feet flat, and I'm using all my sticks at their stock ~60 inch length.

I really like having my stick out in front of me, so I'm looking at a cheaper Warrior stick to get a 4-lie. Anyone else finding themselves going for lower and lower lies?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'd cut your current stick about 2" and go with it.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Got tangled up with another player in the boards tonight and heard a horrible crunch. When we came apart, everything seemed intact so we both kept going, but it turned out her stick got broken. I felt bad that it happened, but on the other hand, she had an extra stick. I do not. If it had been my stick that snapped I'd have been in the poo poo.

Guess now I should consider getting a backup stick just in case.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
This was kinda hard to do by myself with one hand, but this is what I'm talking about with my upper hand. One of the opposing team wingers pointed out to me after the game if I kept my damned elbow up the problem (kinda) goes away. I'm thinking of buying a "straighter" curve next just because it's not nearly as drastic as this Stastny which is WICKED CURVED.

Anyway, here's what I was talking about :

How my upper hand is usually placed:

This usually ends up with the mid of the blade on the ice unless I keep my elbow up quite a bit.

Here's how much I have to "turn" the stick to get it to lie flat with my normal elbow position:
\

...but the result is the blade looks like this, which seems way to closed to me.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 19, 2012

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
holy cow, what a game tonight. It was very back and forth, with both teams scoring and answering. We were up by 1 with about 2 minutes left, so we were just trying to keep it away and ice it to keep the running clock moving, but with about a minute 20 seconds left they finally managed to put it in. At this point we figured we'd take a tie, so we were just hoping we wouldn't give up another one. But then with about 15 seconds left on the clock we knock it out of our zone to a winger who was just behind their defense, and he skates it down, passing it to a defenseman who followed up. Their two defenseman tripped over each other trying to change targets and he goes in and scores for the win.

It was fantastic, especially in a game where one of our centers got a game misconduct in the very first shift for yelling at the ref.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Also one thing that scares the poo poo out of me with composite is I really punish my wood stick and it holds up. I smack other people's sticks, hit the ice/boards with it, and generally use my stick to hit at players as close as I can without getting called.

I'm really worried that playing like this with an expensive composite will break it and ill be really mad.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I do that with my composite and it handles it fine without the destructive tendency to absorb water.

But I refuse to spend over $100 (clearance price) on a stick so on the off hand it breaks I won't be too devastated. Last one lasted me more games than I can remember so I wasn't upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Composites are hardy as hell so unless you're constantly unloading NHL one-timers from the point you'll be fine. I generally don't pay more than $80 for mine so there's no real investment on them once you've played a few games, and I have taken some big slashes with no issues. The only composite I've had that broke in recent memory was because of a supremely rare and rough collision and if it had survived that I would have been a bit surprised.

Which reminds me the pro shop at the rink had some sticks on clearance, and I do need a new favourite stick...