Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Skizzles posted:

You know you're about to get an interesting proposal when your director suddenly stops you and asks, "How do you feel about prisoners?"

Apparently they need people to go teach prisoners how to train dogs. I'm considering it. :stare:

I've heard prisoners in those programs are actually much better "clients". They're able to be in the doggy program because they've shown good behavior and what not, so they're eager to learn. It'll also be great for the doggies because it's usually shelter dogs they're training. :) It sounds like an interesting opportunity. I'd personally go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Hypothetically speaking, Skizzles, if you die who gets your rad fluff cat(s)?

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

RazorBunny posted:

So, want to see something weird I found while cleaning up after our plumbing disaster?

I have no idea how old this poo poo is. The previous owners of our home hadn't had a dog in a long time, and the company that manufactured this stuff (Burroughs Wellcome Co. if you're curious) merged with Glaxo in the 90s, so it's at least 17 years old. Looking at the style of packaging I'd say quite a bit older, but I'm not finding a lot of info about the product online to see when they stopped making the stuff.

Apparently the active ingredient was banned because it's a neurotoxin, oh boy!

Even better, the bottle is full.

Sweet. Keep it. You never know when you need to murder someone get rid of a bad infestation.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

What if there is some boy-beast running around Camp Crystal Lake?

Those sure are some fine looking Shepherds. Perfect breed specimens.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

RazorBunny posted:

So, want to see something weird I found while cleaning up after our plumbing disaster?

I have no idea how old this poo poo is. The previous owners of our home hadn't had a dog in a long time, and the company that manufactured this stuff (Burroughs Wellcome Co. if you're curious) merged with Glaxo in the 90s, so it's at least 17 years old. Looking at the style of packaging I'd say quite a bit older, but I'm not finding a lot of info about the product online to see when they stopped making the stuff.

Apparently the active ingredient was banned because it's a neurotoxin, oh boy!

Even better, the bottle is full.

Organophosphates! Fun with SLUD! Advantage was such a wonderful invention...pest control used to be so much more dangerous.

Google "hazardous waste <your town>" and that should tell you where to take it to get rid of it.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Yeah, it says it's flea and tick meds, and that it's prescription only.

It seems like it's pretty toxic from the stuff I'm reading, which is too bad, because the bottle is pretty cool looking. I wish it was empty, so I wouldn't feel bad if I kept it. Oh well.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

RazorBunny posted:

Yeah, it says it's flea and tick meds, and that it's prescription only.

It seems like it's pretty toxic from the stuff I'm reading, which is too bad, because the bottle is pretty cool looking. I wish it was empty, so I wouldn't feel bad if I kept it. Oh well.

Honestly if I were you, I'd put that bottle inside of another container like a big Tupperware with a lid or something. The last thing you need is for it to break while you're moving it or anything. OP toxicosis is difficult to treat successfully and a very unpleasant way for anything to go (except roaches....roaches deserve it).

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Didn't realize it was quite THAT scary. Thanks, I'll call around tomorrow and find out where to take it.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

RazorBunny posted:

Didn't realize it was quite THAT scary. Thanks, I'll call around tomorrow and find out where to take it.

It just doesn't have a very wide margin of safety. A little would probably not hurt anyone, but the difference between the safe dose and the toxic dose isn't very much so if it were to crack and you had to clean it up, it could be unsafe. Not worth the risk.

NatashaQuick
Jun 30, 2007

No Mr. Bond,
I expect you to die.
Haven't had time to read this thread or post lately, but my cat Natasha is really sick. It doesn't appear to be anything life or death but she is older now (12) and determined to hide it. She had a bladder infection that probably came on when I was in the hospital. I found out a couple weeks later when she left a puddle in my lap. She's been going into the vet regularly for the past several weeks since then for antibiotics, steroids, blood tests, xrays, so on and so forth. Thankfully this has ruled out a large amount of scary stuff like cancer, liver and kidney problems. Now the infection is nearly gone and the vet is doing another culture to help them knock it out. Her bladder is extremely irritated, still bleeding and not in good shape.

Today she had exploratory surgery for an intestinal blockage that is now due to be passed overnight. This may or may not be completely unrelated to the bladder problems. They also got a good look at her bladder and now know exactly how hosed up it is (it's really hosed up).

Before the surgery my vet called to tell me she wanted to go in and get my approval. This practice is the best ever, they are not worried about money and have already left some charges off the bills we've paid. I told her that we'd have to pay for the surgery in installments and she was just relieved that I didn't want to put the cat down instead, apparently a lot of people do that. This is the same practice that saved "Chase No Face," the stray kitten that had been hit by a car (Google at your own risk).

She's never even been sick before, she has a food allergy which has cost me a fortune over time and gets recurring yeast infections in one of her ears but has never, ever been legitimately sick. When we brought her in this time she had vomited all her meals and had also chased a moth and had an adventure in the closet because she's totally fine you guys. I don't know if she'll be coming home this morning or not, and now I have to watch the other cat and make sure he eats while she's gone. He's a dick to her all the time and wants to murder every other cat outside the window but has been upset about eating separately from her while she's been medicated. He also hides when she comes home until we rub her down with laundry because he's so afraid of the vet smell, and the last thing we need is for him to go on a hunger strike because he just can't eat alone.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

I'm so sorry about your kitty. :( Good luck with everything, I hope it all goes well. I've known a lot of pets who looked like they were in dire situations only to completely bounce back and live for years, so I have hope for you! :sympathy:

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

According to the California Department of Pesticide Regulation, production was cancelled on 1/15/1985.

Good find!

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Poor Natasha and othercat :(

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I spoke too soon. More poo poo and piss in the living room corner. And Husker desperately wanted to lay down in that bed and I had to drag him away, and now he's pouting.

I'm going to go buy another litter box and put it under the table, and remove the Ssscat. My husband is going to be unhappy but he isn't loving here cleaning up after this nonsense.

I so don't need this right now.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Corbin at the vet's office right now. Has been breathing heavily for 5+ hours, don't know what's going on. Updates probably tomorrow. Pretty concerning though, he had to be carried to the car and seems to get worse if he moves. I think it's something internal. :(

Fingers crossed.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
It's obvious but have you tried Cat Attract in the litterbox?

vvv When I move later this winter I plan on doing this, just cutting a hole in the side of an Ikea cabinet or nightstand. There are examples all over Ikea Hacker but let me know how it works for you!

demozthenes fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 15, 2012

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

demozthenes posted:

It's obvious but have you tried Cat Attract in the litterbox?

Tons! If I take her in there, she uses the box. I tried putting the rug back in to see if she just didn't want to cross the linoleum, too. No dice.

I decided to order one of those cabinets that hides the litter box and I'm going to put it in the upstairs hallway, and we'll just have to move it when we want to get into the closet there.

Or maybe just barbecue Leela for dinner tonight.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The holidays are ripe for pet embarrassment.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pew! Pew! posted:

Corbin at the vet's office right now. Has been breathing heavily for 5+ hours, don't know what's going on. Updates probably tomorrow. Pretty concerning though, he had to be carried to the car and seems to get worse if he moves. I think it's something internal. :(

Fingers crossed.

Wasn't he just having allergy issues? :( I hope it's something that can be treated really easy, and not something worse. Poor boy.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

I hate people. We went for a walk today, everything went fine, Psyche was really attentive until we got back to where we parked our car. Some rear end in a top hat parked in the spot right next to the packing lot entrance (so everyone would have to walk past their car) and left their GSD in there. We didn't see it until we were next to the car and the dog exploded at us, attacking the windows and barking.

Psyche was scared to death and had a major freakout. I honestly don't know why I bother trying to teach her that the world isn't a scary place when there are rear end in a top hat owners everywhere pretending like their dogs' behavior and training doesn't matter.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
Sigh. Maddie acted like she was being abused and whining nonstop because the other dogs got to go for a car ride to the groomer's, so I took her for a drive to pick up the check to pay the groomer from my dad's office.

She was acting like a sweetheart around his co-workers, so I figured she'd be able to handle the dog park. She was lovely until the other dogs started approaching and sniffing her, because she started showing clear body language cues that she wasn't comfortable with the environment. I felt like an rear end having to take her home almost immediately but I don't want to be the dick at the dog park with a dog who is trying to attack dogs three times her size. I'm a cat person so I'm not really good with dogs, but I'm trying to learn.

Saw the most depressing obese three legged dachshund there that had a belly that almost drug the grass at the park, too.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Dog parks aren't really good environments for stressed out dogs. There are too many potential triggers and strange smells, and a lot of dogs have terrible manners. Very different than human interaction.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

December will be my last month with an apartment. I've been approved for a rental house! I'll spend the next month boxing poo poo up and moving it over. I am super, super excited! since I haven't been able to play Disc with the dogs lately they've been AWFUL and I can't wait to let them play in the yard! It's also a few houses down from a park with a nature trail and dog parks that are usually empty for some Disc practice!

I'm going to build a springpole in the yard and turn the garage into a doggie gym. The electic mill and balance/coordination equipment is going in there and I'm hoping to buy a carpet mill as well.

Here is a picture of some of the yard. The grass is so soft and springy. :3:

SuperTwo fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 15, 2012

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Pretty sure my dog is past the point of no return. Peeing blood and vomiting it in flecks. this all happened in less than 12 hours. Jesus. I don't know what the gently caress happened. How does a dog get this bad so fast? All I can think of was he ate something with poison on his walk this morning but I really do not know.
I don't know what to think. He was fine yesterday, peeing, pooping, eating, making dopey faces at me. Everything was totally fine and it looks like he'll be euthanized tonight.

Does anyone have any idea what could've caused him to go downhill so suddenly? Because all I can think of is poisons but...I don't know. I'm just upset and I don't know what to think.
My boyfriend is at the vets' with him but I came home so I could be a bit more coherent. I can't process this. I really just cannot right now. He's at most 10 years old and I just have no idea.

I'm kind of rambling I know so...I guess, everyone be super careful if your dog tries to eat something on a walk? In case this was a case of poisoning.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

Kerfuffle posted:

Dog parks aren't really good environments for stressed out dogs. There are too many potential triggers and strange smells, and a lot of dogs have terrible manners. Very different than human interaction.

I knew I was taking a risk since she's a high strung dog but usually okay around other strange dogs, so I kept her on leash very close to me so I could just pick her up and go if something happened. She loved the new environment and all the smells, but I guess in the future I should only go when it's just me and my dogs, because holy poo poo those were some dumbass owners I encountered, too.

:downs: Oh, it's okay, schnookums won't bite her!
:v: I'm sure he's lovely, but I think I should just take my dog home, she's a little overwhelmed with everyone
:downs: *cesar milan poo poo about dominance*
:bang: ...bye.

That is so awful, Pew! Pew! :( Sending good vibes your way.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Pew! Pew! posted:

Does anyone have any idea what could've caused him to go downhill so suddenly? Because all I can think of is poisons but...I don't know. I'm just upset and I don't know what to think.
My boyfriend is at the vets' with him but I came home so I could be a bit more coherent. I can't process this. I really just cannot right now. He's at most 10 years old and I just have no idea.

I'm kind of rambling I know so...I guess, everyone be super careful if your dog tries to eat something on a walk? In case this was a case of poisoning.

That really really stinks. Best of luck and be sure to take care of yourself too.

It is very possible that it isn't poison. Pets are really good at hiding medical problems and even then sometimes the body can just keep trucking until something just clicks and everything just goes downhill extraordinarily quickly without any warning signs. My family's yellow lab was like that: just fine in the morning and multiple organ failure due to previously undetected metastatic cancer later that afternoon. No poison, previous vet check was fine, and there wasn't anything we could have done.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

That's very possible too, I've just never seen anything like this so I'm grasping at straws to try and explain it. His bloodwork isn't done yet but we'll know if it was something like that once it gets back.
I've calmed down a little but it was just shocking to take a break for him to pee for like a minute and his pee is just...black. He's still definitely himself though, before I left I gave him a cheese treat and his butt wouldn't stop wiggling. :unsmith:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Feldman's pretty cute but he's no Vecna :colbert:
Vecna at 8 weeks:

Enjoying a nice fall walk

Staring at ducks is one of his favorite hobbies

Sorry about the Instgram poo poo, I don't have a real camera at the moment and he's pretty much just a black blob without filters.

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 15, 2012

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

Pew! Pew! posted:

That's very possible too, I've just never seen anything like this so I'm grasping at straws to try and explain it. His bloodwork isn't done yet but we'll know if it was something like that once it gets back.
I've calmed down a little but it was just shocking to take a break for him to pee for like a minute and his pee is just...black. He's still definitely himself though, before I left I gave him a cheese treat and his butt wouldn't stop wiggling. :unsmith:

I'm so sorry Pew Pew. :( I know how blindsiding it can be sometimes. :glomp:

Regarding the "orange cat = male cat" thing, I had this conversation a few months ago with a batshit hippie catlady woman who came to adopt one of my foster kittens.

:byodame: : what a handsome Tom cat you have there!
:) : actually she's a girl! Her name is Sarabi.
:byodame: : but he's orange!
:) : yeah, she's sort of unusual I guess!
:byodame: : are you sure he's a girl? He can't be! He's so aggressive!
:confused: : (Sab is at this point meowing incessantly in between purrs and rubbing up against this woman's legs the way she does when literally anyone walks through any door). Aggressive? She's just vocal and friendly.
:byodame: : I have a girl cat at home and she would never be this forward! I assure you this cat is a male and you should have a vet confirm that.
:) : Ma'am I watched this cat give birth with my own eyes, I think I'm sure on this one.

She kept on insisting that Sab "couldn't be" a girl because she was "so aggressive" (still just purring and asking for pets) until I dug up my catbirth pictures, which shut her up.

She wanted to adopt the foster kitten because she had an 18 year old cat in CRF whose companions had passed away in the last year. I told her that adding a kitten might be extraordinarily stressful to her older cat and she said, "no, it's okay, I talked to Jasmine and she told me it would be okay."

She returned the kitten, heartbroken, three weeks later because the geriatric one freaked out and started peeing everywhere.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pew! Pew! posted:

:unsmith: Well maybe since his butt still works so drat good, they'll be able to fix the rest of him.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Unfortunately, Corbin has passed away. The vet says it was most likely poison so tomorrow I'm going to go out in daylight in the area he normally walks and sweep it for possible poisons. I'd hate for anyone else to have to go through what happened with their own dogs, and I want to report that as soon as possible.

I'm still just...in shock, I guess is the best way to put it? I know horror stories of someone not watching their dog for all of two seconds and they eat something weird, but never knew it'd happen to me because I consider this area pretty nice and progressive for the most part (although it's possible that it wasn't left out intentionally and someone just tossed something like that into the bushes to dispose of it).

Thanks for the support you guys. I really appreciate it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Goddamn dude, I'm sorry. :smith: I hope if it is a poison, it's something that hasn't gotten anyone else.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Sorry to hear about your pup. :(

It did sound like a toxin to me too, with the acute onset and all the blood involved. For some toxins the onset is delayed so the dog could have ingested it any time within the last week or so.

Don't blame yourself, and honestly it isn't necessarily malicious poisoning either - most times stuff that dogs get into is either meant to poison pests or is stuff that is out in the world like plants or human-made stuff like antifreeze or medicines..

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 16, 2012

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
Oh my god Pew, I am so, so sorry. Please know that this isn't your fault.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Jesus, I'm sorry, Pew Pew.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Oh man, Pew I'm sorry :(

I hope you can find whoever left that stuff out. At least that way maybe no other pets will get hurt.

Undead Waterfowl
Dec 29, 2008
Yikes, that's horrible Pew Pew. They are frighteningly quick to snatch something when we're not looking. Sounds like it might have been something like rat poison since those symptoms are basically what it does to rats. So sorry to hear that he didn't make it, though. I know how hard it is to lose a beloved pet since I lost my Stoffie boy back in July. Big hugs to you and your boyfriend and try to remember it really isn't your fault.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Oh Pew, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.
Oh man, Pew, that sucks so bad. :( That scares the poo poo out of me...my puppy likes to pick up random crap while were out walking, I always get it away from her before she can swallow it, but Jesus, the idea that something like that could happen so fast, and there's nothing you can do...makes me not want to allow her to leave the yard, ever. My friend told me the other day that she almost asked me to bring Fionna over to her house with me...until she remembered that her housemate laid rat poison out the day before. That's kept me up at night several times. I guess you can never be too careful...:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
So sorry, Pew. :( I can't even imagine.

• Locked thread