Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

My favourite outfit is a full set of white dress gear (either Dusk of Oolacile's set or Gwyndolin's), and Mask of the Father. Have no weapons. Try to parry attacks. When you get a parry, switch to a Demon's Greataxe +15, and riposte using a wolf ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Dreggon posted:

My favourite outfit is a full set of white dress gear (either Dusk of Oolacile's set or Gwyndolin's), and Mask of the Father. Have no weapons. Try to parry attacks. When you get a parry, switch to a Demon's Greataxe +15, and riposte using a wolf ring.

I guess you mean a hornet's ring?

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

While I was trying to learn to PVP the other day by invading in Oolacile Township, I ran into a claymore-wielding Siegmeyer. He bowed to me. I tried to stab him while he was bowing but I missed and then he killed me. It's me, I am the dickwraith.

Siegmeyer wields a Zweihander, Sieglinde uses a Claymore :eng101:

That of course makes it even worse, you horrible person. She was probably trying to look for his dad who got stuck all day trying to cut Manus' tail or something.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I love the way the riposte animation on the Zweihander lines up. Like you smash your enemy in the stomach with the blunt portion of the blade just to make them fall to their knees for the killing blow.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

My favorite animation is the Hornet Ring one with the Dragon's Tooth.

Just goes to town on their asses.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Is it possible to dash through the Valley of Drakes? I am currently staying beneath 1/4 weight, so I'm kinda speedy.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Absolutely. Are you just trying to get to the elevator, or are you going for the red tearstone?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Someone tell me how to use two-handed weapons effectively. I'm at the Undead Parish, using the Drake's Sword and a +5 Spear, and seem to be doing pretty okay. As long as I have the basic requirements for each weapon, is there really anything preventing me from just picking up a new weapon as I find it?

I feel like I'm getting a handle on the combat (and a spear really helps when finding a new enemy type/fighting in hallways) but I'm really not seeing a need for anything besides sword/shield combat, or even a reason to do so.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Hold them with two hands and whack things with them until they die. That's really all there is to two-handing things.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Two-handing a weapon treats you as though you have 1.5x the strength that you actually do, which goes toward your ability to equip a weapon as well as any strength scaling that the weapon might have. If you have a weapon with an E in strength and an A in dexterity scaling, that weapon will gain less than a weapon with A in strength and an E in dexterity.

So if you have a strength scaling weapon, wielding it with both hands lets you kill enemies much more quickly, especially combined with Power Within. When you get good at the game, unless you're doing a big tanky guy gimmick blocking really isn't that useful since you can just dodge everything anyway, so all a shield lets you do is parry. I've found that I two hand more and more as I stop sucking quite so badly, starting from the first time I finished the game.

The Drake Sword does not gain anything at all from two handing other than the different R2 attack as far as I know, since it does not scale with any stats whatsoever.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Washin Tong posted:

Siegmeyer wields a Zweihander, Sieglinde uses a Claymore :eng101:

That of course makes it even worse, you horrible person. She was probably trying to look for his dad who got stuck all day trying to cut Manus' tail or something.

Sieglinde uses a Bastard Sword, not the Claymore. :colbert:

He was completely justified in his wanton murder.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

The lone undead faces his next challenge, a defiant colossus, vast and unyielding. The undead casually jumps down from his parapet, making his way towards the brute. As he approaches, the iron giant launches into action, with speed far greater than it's bulk would have you believe. Steeling himself, hand sweaty on the grip of his sword, the undead charges...

...and upon the beasts first strike, rolls off the edge of the tower

Aug 24, 2011

Thievery posted:

The lone undead faces his next challenge, a defiant colossus, vast and unyielding. The undead casually jumps down from his parapet, making his way towards the brute. As he approaches, the iron giant launches into action, with speed far greater than it's bulk would have you believe. Steeling himself, hand sweaty on the grip of his sword, the undead charges...

...and upon the beasts first strike, rolls off the edge of the tower

Funny, I've never had any trouble with that guy. Just stay between his legs, if you know what I mean.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Why are you in Sen's and still at Estus+1

You didn't find the Blighttown fire keeper, did you.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
That guy is such a boring boss! I don't get why his special gimmick is that he sits down and waits to die 2/3 of the way through the fight.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
You can get him to take a nap and fall right off the tower if you just run straight for him. It's kinda sad, actually.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

All I get is criticism!

He's dead now.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

The Drake Sword does not gain anything at all from two handing other than the different R2 attack as far as I know, since it does not scale with any stats whatsoever.
Two-handing seems to provide an additional non-stat-based damage bonus, I know the Moonlight Greatsword does more damage like that and it has no strength scaling or physical damage. I also recall the Drake Sword doing that, too.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

His special gimmick is letting Tarkus show off.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Positronic Spleen posted:

Two-handing seems to provide an additional non-stat-based damage bonus, I know the Moonlight Greatsword does more damage like that and it has no strength scaling or physical damage. I also recall the Drake Sword doing that, too.

You're probably right. I also think that some weapons have more subtle changes to their move sets when they are wielded with both hands, for instance some spears appear to attack more quickly.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Sojenus posted:

His special gimmick is letting Tarkus show off.

I tried to summon Tarkus but I couldn't find his sign so I just killed the guy, but with a heavy heart for my bro was nowhere to be found.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

muike posted:

Absolutely. Are you just trying to get to the elevator, or are you going for the red tearstone?

I was just seeing if I could get between the gate and the elevator without facing the drakes. I'll give it a shot later when I don't have so many souls on me.

I'm in NG+ and I'm going with Kaathe this time, so I just buddied up with him, and I ran into some game crashes. I assume they have to do with DSFix and/or the 60fps mod. Game froze and crashed during the cut scene that plays after you place the Lord Vessel. Also crashed when traveling back to The Abyss with him when I tried to skip the cut scene of him spitting me back into the Abyss. So, if I skip the Lord Vessel cut scene, no crash. If I don't skip the 'spit back into the Abyss' cut scene, no crash.

Just thought that would be worth sharing/warning.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Ravenfood posted:

Someone tell me how to use two-handed weapons effectively. I'm at the Undead Parish, using the Drake's Sword and a +5 Spear, and seem to be doing pretty okay. As long as I have the basic requirements for each weapon, is there really anything preventing me from just picking up a new weapon as I find it?

The big advantage to two-handing weapons is that your strikes do more poise damage, so you will stagger foes more quickly. This can change the dynamic of areas a lot, as "enemy that staggers in one hit" and "enemy that staggers in two hits" are vastly different in terms of danger. It is also much easier to stagger bosses due to this. Two handed hits do more damage because...

Positronic Spleen posted:

It's not so much this as it is that the two handed grip has a different moveset, and these moves do more damage. Sometimes the move differences are subtle (most straight swords), sometimes they're substantial (halberd is a good example), and sometimes they're enormous (dragon weapons, Grant).

VVVV This exactly. Not even sarcastic, some super intimidating bosses like Sanctuary Guardian become a joke if you just rush them down with your biggest weapon in both hands while not wearing any pants

ReWinter fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 15, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The bottom line: two handing owns bones, try man mode.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Regarding leveling up in the Darkwraith covenant...

In order to be fully leveled, do I need to offer 80 total humanity in any increments I choose, or 80 all at once?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
You can offer it in however many increments you want just make sure not to leave the covenant or you'll lose your progress.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Also for the love of god don't go to rank 3 in the Darkwraiths. There's absolutely no point to it whatsoever.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.
I just beat Sen's Fortress. gently caress Sen's Fortress. Even the elevator down fucks me over occasionally when I get zapped off the drat ledge.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

tractor fanatic posted:

Also for the love of god don't go to rank 3 in the Darkwraiths. There's absolutely no point to it whatsoever.

There actually is! Whenever you Dark Hand someone, you suck out 10 humanity instead of 1/3/5.

Aug 24, 2011

Finally got Kalameet's loving tail, solo, on NG+.

Ended up using a +15 demon greataxe (two-handed), crest shield, mask of the child, Havel ring and ninjaflip ring. All I can say is... <25% equip weight, manmode, dodge, or you're screwed. You have to bait his dives and tail slams, then make sure to hit the tail. I guess you can also do it when he does his hind-legs fire-breath, but I could never run fast enough. After getting the tail, I had to manage my equipment to put on my stuff-killing gear, which was hectic but fun.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Is it worth playing through Demon Souls before getting into this game?

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
Tomorrow the steam chat is going to run another level 100 fight club. You would know this if you joined the chat so join the chat. It will be streamed.

Turncoat Mommy fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 15, 2012

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Doesn't matter at all. I think most people say that DaS has some improvements over DeS even.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Demons' Souls is much more oppressive in atmosphere than Dark Souls, and the mechanics are a bit more obtuse (World Tendency :whatup:). It's an excellent game which has pretty substantial differences in design philosophy from DaS hiding behind very similar visuals. Demons' at least has much more stable online- summons, etc work much better. Dark Souls is much, much better balanced; there's a lot of poo poo that's pretty much just useless in Demons', and magic is way better than it ought to be even compared to DaS.

There is no plot connection really between the two. At least one NPC exists in both, but I don't think this is more than a nod. I love Demons' Souls to death and don't have any trouble playing it after DaS but YMMV, some people have trouble going back. Ultimately I'd say don't stress about it and if you want more after Dark Souls then you've got another incredible game waiting for ya.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
If you get good at Dark Souls then Demon's Souls will be a walk in the park. I did Demon's Souls after a hundred hours of Dark Souls and died maybe four times. Two times to gravity, one time to a lovely laser beam in the catacombs, and one time because I forgot you can't roll in the swamp.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Even on NG+ with my retardedly OP character, Knight Artorias is still the embodiment of bullshit.

Aug 24, 2011

Satorr posted:

Even on NG+ with my retardedly OP character, Knight Artorias is still the embodiment of bullshit.

The hell he is. All of the DLC boss fights are awesome, though Artorias and Manus are pretty similar. And that's only counting Kalameet if you're not trying to get his tail. Kalameet's tail is bullshit.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Satorr posted:

I remember when I was you. Then I learned when to dodge his attacks and when it was ok to hit him. Then he became the coolest fight in the game.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I learned to dodge his stuff pretty good, but it has more to do with his uncanny ability to dodge my sorceries and his ridiculously fast recovery. I got him, but next time I'll probably just two-handed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
If I'm planning to make my (PvE) character Int/Dex focused, should I be trying to get the weapons I plan to use made into Magic/Enchanted weapons once I get my Int higher than the early Str boost I took so I could use the Zweihander?

• Locked thread