Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Bell_ posted:

But they already had. Same with Jane and Roxy.

Hasn't basically everyone in the comic died at least once, save for like, maybe Karkat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Grapplejack posted:

Hasn't basically everyone in the comic died at least once, save for like, maybe Karkat?

Karkat's dreamself was killed by Bec Noir shortly after he woke up on prospit for the first time.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

Gamzee :tinfoil:

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

I don't think any of the Jack Noirs have died. They're all kicking around somewhere.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Davesprite, Gamzee, Caliborn, Jane's dad, the Empress, and various carapaces (including all known iterations of Jack Noir) have not yet definitively died even once.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Bongo Bill posted:

Davesprite, Gamzee, Caliborn, Jane's dad, the Empress, and various carapaces (including all known iterations of Jack Noir) have not yet definitively died even once.

Didn't all the troll dreamselves die when Bec Noir, y'know, destroyed Prospit and Derse?

Except Aradia of course.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Bongo Bill posted:

Clover is question-marked on this page. He was marked as dead when Slick opened the vault, but then later showed up at Scratch's place without explanation, so who knows. Intermission time logic is even weirder than normal.

Also, Sawtooth and Squarewave, the true heroes of Homestuck. Whether or not robots can die is uncertain, but they've yet to take fatal damage regardless.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Guys, I think the narrator might have just caused the main antagonist of the story.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Update.

I am confused. :psyduck:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

CuddlyZombie posted:

Update.

So is literally everyone involved, chiefly Caliborn.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Well, I like the nod to everyone being really eager to see just what it is in SBURB that Caliborn does in order to become Lord English.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Was that... was that Caliborn trying to argue with Hussie's control of the narrative?

Wow. No wonder Lord English went out of his way to kill him later/earlier.

He was literally looking at the fourth wall. He's a villain capable of identifying and thus destroying the story itself.

This is getting pretty interesting!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Has the story had less of these omniscient "you think this and do this" narrations since LE killed Hussie, or is it just me? And why did Hussie have the blank eyes before he died anyway?

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Could just be an exile sending commands to Caliborn somewhere. Fighting against the narrative is more interesting, though.

Maybe Hussie is his exile? :aaa:

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
He's fighting against his exile telling him what to do. An exile who talks in caps (ie HUH?).

His exile is Gamzee.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Maybe Hussie is his exile? :aaa:
I'm going to go with this for now. It would fit with the idea that Caliborn's session is somehow more basic and fundamental than the rest, what with bringing his own land of X and Y. His exile is the narrator of the story himself.

And he's definitely arguing with Hussie. Quotes that set him off like, "[the thought you should be] believing in as hard as you can, thus slightly reducing its stubborn fakeness attribute" are total Hussie-isms.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Cleretic posted:

Guys, I think the narrator might have just caused the main antagonist of the story.

Tavros was right, there is another, stronger villain beyond Caliborn.

Option B: Are we sure that Caliborn is Lord English?

Stayton
May 20, 2006

A girl who will put you in a full nelson is worth fighting for.
So I guess the question now is how long we're going stick with Caliborn Ironically complaining about things taking forever.

Anyone else thinking that Lord English could be anyone but Caliborn at this point? He's got red herrings in his veins after all.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I'm beginning to wonder if LE going to be defeated by the suggestion box opening.

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

Mystic Mongol posted:

Tavros was right, there is another, stronger villain beyond Caliborn.

Option B: Are we sure that Caliborn is Lord English?

It's been foreshadowed so heavily that Caliborn is English that it would be really stupid for Hussie to pull a PSYCHE and make it someone else. I mean, it could be done, I guess, but it'd be hard to do without making it look like he pulled it out of his rear end at the last minute.

On another note:

Narrator posted:

The wasteland is empty. Banality skims the void where a proper loving adventure should be, as if grazing the stab wound of a murdered sister, or say, a toppled sarswapagus. A stupid note is produced. It's the one assholes play to make their audience start punching themselves in the crotch repeatedly.

This intermission is already amazing.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I don't believe it's ever been stated that Lord English has any direct connection to Caliborn, let alone was once Caliborn. I think everyone is jumping to conclusions. Well, one particular conclusion.

Norton Ghostride
Apr 30, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ariong posted:

I don't believe it's ever been stated that Lord English has any direct connection to Caliborn, let alone was once Caliborn. I think everyone is jumping to conclusions. Well, one particular conclusion.

Uh.. We kinda saw him turn into LE in a flash pretty spectacularly.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Norton Ghostride posted:

What? Really? Link?

War Requiem
Apr 22, 2008

MY BUTTOCKS SHALL DEFEAT YOU!
If Caliborn is a red herring then the next person who most closely resembles Lord English would be Calliope. That would be such a lovely twist that it would rival Caliborn's lovely twists.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

CuddlyZombie posted:

Update.

I interpreting that bit of prose to mean that the Bigger Bad Tavros was speculating about is indeed Hussie. And not orange-guy Hussie, but flesh-and-blood, real-life Hussie.

Akett posted:

I'm beginning to wonder if LE going to be defeated by the suggestion box opening.

I'm not sure that's how LE is going to leave the story, but I'm now wondering if the the only way to end a story this meta is to somehow remove Hussie's control over the the characters, either through surrendering them to a new party (suggestion box), fate/randomness (roll a d20), or fanfic (end the story open-ended, let everyone decide for themselves how the characters end the story).

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Bobulus posted:

I interpreting that bit of prose to mean that the Bigger Bad Tavros was speculating about is indeed Hussie. And not orange-guy Hussie, but flesh-and-blood, real-life Hussie.

I'm not sure that's how LE is going to leave the story, but I'm now wondering if the the only way to end a story this meta is to somehow remove Hussie's control over the the characters, either through surrendering them to a new party (suggestion box), fate/randomness (roll a d20), or fanfic (end the story open-ended, let everyone decide for themselves how the characters end the story).

If Andrew kills himself as the resolution to the story it would be sad, but it would also be a hell of an ending.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I...I don't like the look of that red light.

Mainly because I have no idea what it could be. :ohdear:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ariong posted:

If Andrew kills himself as the resolution to the story it would be sad, but it would also be a hell of an ending.

That would be super hosed up, and I hope it doesn't happen.

I just meant that the talk here got me thinking a about 1/0, which, until now, was my go-to source for "weird webcomic that questioned the nature of narrative". Of course, they could talk to their author.

Like this example of removing author control...

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
People have referred to Caliborn as Lord English for the entirety of the last Intermission, why is this somehow not clear :psyduck:

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Norton Ghostride posted:

Nah. We saw Caliborn, and we also saw LE. None of the intermediate stages. There's enough circumstantial evidence in favour of it (even some of the better-informed characters in the story itself are convinced of it) that it'd be a major upset if Caliborn didn't become LE, but conceivably there could still be a way around it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Solaris Knight posted:

People have referred to Caliborn as Lord English for the entirety of the last Intermission, why is this somehow not clear :psyduck:

I don't remember that. I remember people referring to Lord English, and I remember Calliope and the A2 kids referring to Calliope's brother (not by name), but I don't remember anyone referring to Caliborn using the name Lord English.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Ariong posted:

I don't remember that. I remember people referring to Lord English, and I remember Calliope and the A2 kids referring to Calliope's brother (not by name), but I don't remember anyone referring to Caliborn using the name Lord English.

Meenah (intentionally?) explicitly called him Calicorn, because as far as we can tell actually saying his name makes bad poo poo happen.

So far, actually, the only person who's used Caliborn's name is the narrator, and we wouldn't even know it if the flash hadn't explicitly stated Caliborn: Enter.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Color Printer posted:

I...I don't like the look of that red light.

Mainly because I have no idea what it could be. :ohdear:

Glasses? Red, glowing glasses...?

Or is that too obvious? I never know what to think here.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Incidentally, the red light will clearly turn out to be basically this minus all the other lighting:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Meenah (intentionally?) explicitly called him Calicorn, because as far as we can tell actually saying his name makes bad poo poo happen.

So far, actually, the only person who's used Caliborn's name is the narrator, and we wouldn't even know it if the flash hadn't explicitly stated Caliborn: Enter.

I guess you're right. How did Meenah know Caliborn's name? Further, how much does she know about him that she was able to connect him to LE?

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Ariong posted:

I guess you're right. How did Meenah know Caliborn's name? Further, how much does she know about him that she was able to connect him to LE?

Actually, it was Meulin, and she said it that way because it's a cat pun. But also probably because saying his name is bad.

vvv What fish pun did Meenah use for it? I don't remember that. vvv

Jorenko fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 15, 2012

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

Ariong posted:

In the Meenahquest updates, Meenah and Muelin both say his name with fish and cat puns, respectively, and they were both explicitly referring to LE. Aranea cautions Meenah not to say his name, and just calls him the Lord of Time, while Muelin was praising him as the "Lord of Double-Death" or somesuch while under Kurloz's control.

E: Beat. I can't :spergin: fast enough.
E2:

Jorenko posted:

vvv What fish pun did Meenah use for it? I don't remember that. vvv

Clamiborn, if I recall.

Arthur Crackpot fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 15, 2012

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I sympathize with Caliborn's weird self-awareness rant. In this day and age of recursive irony and infinitely-ascending introspection, who hasn't once spiraled helplessly in a train of thought like that?

Which again is weird since I don't know what point there is in trying to scrape up a little sympathy for Caliborn, or if not sympathy at least humanizing (cherubizing?) him. Filling him full of foibles and adolescent petulance kind of robs him of his dread, like for all his ripped abs and pimp coat Lord English is just a cosmic school shooter with all the same shallowness of purpose.

The only reason I can fathom is that the "there's an even BIGGER villain" speculation might be true, and Lord English is to them as Bec Noir is to Lord English - some tool, easily exploited thanks to his nutty nature.

edit: Have decided that putting (cherubizing?) there is not funny or clever. I obviously mean humanizing, because the narrative is ascribing familiar human characteristics to him that we as humans can use to better understand him. I suppose you just see that ([race]izing?) thing a lot when people talk about humanizing non-humans in fiction and it was sort of a reflex.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 15, 2012

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
It's Aradia.

It's Aradia off in the distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Well, bright red light makes me think glowing time glyph, but we'll see.