Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhadamanthus
Dec 12, 2004

I roll a lotta sushi, roll 'em fat like John Belushi; call me Desi Arnaz, dogg, I love the Lucy.
What a beautiful dog! What's his temperament like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

BigDave posted:

Ah, but here's the clincher. He has webbed paws. :iiam:

It's a myth that only labs/retrievers/water dogs have webbed feet. All dogs have some degree of "webbing" connecting their toes, some just have more than others.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Rhadamanthus posted:

What a beautiful dog! What's his temperament like?

As gentle as a lamb. Except when he has a treat or squeak toy, then it's all business.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Interesting. Can ACDs have floppy ears like that too? The floppy ears are mostly what are making me wonder what else he's mixed with.

I think they're supposed to have prick ears, but Bailey has floppy ears. I think that if you get something like a hound into the mix, you can end up with floppy ears.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
The more I interact with Pistol the more I'm thinking something hound-ish is a distinct possibility. He must Sniff All The Things on walks and will do a combo howl and ACD yodel (but also has the high pitched ACD voice so it is the most pathetic thing. His whines warble like an opera singer. I should try to record it sometime).

Maybe his Christmas present will be a DNA test.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

The more I interact with Pistol the more I'm thinking something hound-ish is a distinct possibility. He must Sniff All The Things on walks and will do a combo howl and ACD yodel (but also has the high pitched ACD voice so it is the most pathetic thing. His whines warble like an opera singer. I should try to record it sometime).

Is Pistol also a pro couch herder (and by that I mean is he fairly lazy outside of designated excited times)? That's what pushed me toward hound for Bailey. Also jowls and a softer expression than a lot of ACDs. I've thought of getting my mutt a DNA test but half the fun is guessing and talking about it.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

He does sleep a lot when he's not playing with Max or going for walks. His facial expression is a lot less intense than Max's if that's what you mean (more of an "oh hi there" than "are you where you're supposed to be?"). He's also physically a lot softer. His tongue is so soft and so is his hair. He's got a scruffy tuft of hair around his neck and shoulders but the rest of him is silky smooth.

His personality isn't very ACD-like either, he doesn't DEMAND playtime like Max does. He'll play with me if I want but he doesn't come up to me and start gnawing on my arm till I start playing with him. He'd rather snuggle on the couch than play. In fact he hasn't mouthed me at all. Clearly not a true landshark.

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I could be wrong but I think a lot of the DNA tests do not include ACD in their databases, which makes the results inaccurate. If I'm wrong let me know, because I have this suspicion my dog is at least part ACD, too.

I'm living vicariously through your Pistol n' Max posts, though!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Ishkibibble_Fish posted:

I could be wrong but I think a lot of the DNA tests do not include ACD in their databases, which makes the results inaccurate. If I'm wrong let me know, because I have this suspicion my dog is at least part ACD, too.

I'm living vicariously through your Pistol n' Max posts, though!

I know at least the Wisdom Panel ones do.

It seems that it's mostly the various bully breeds and really mutted up mixes that it has trouble with.

vvvI've seen them for $40 on ebay, worth it for the entertainment value/ability to answer something when people wanted to know what he was even if the test isn't the most accurate thing ever. vvv

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 5, 2012

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Pistol goes to the vet for his puppy booster shots in a couple weeks, while I'm there I think I'm going to ask his vet if those tests would even be worth doing.

I didn't particularly care what Charlie was because he was clearly a mutt with several different dogs mixed together, but I was told Pistol was an ACD/mini Aussie mix but he's obviously not and it's slowly driving me nuts trying to figure out what the other half is.

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I know at least the Wisdom Panel ones do.

It seems that it's mostly the various bully breeds and really mutted up mixes that it has trouble with.

Oh man, good to know! That's pretty tempting, then. Do you really think Major has Saint Bernard? I know he's a big (handsome) guy...

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I'm glad you posted that so I didn't forget to put the Wisdom Panel on my Christmas list. Will be a lot of fun to see what it says about Shadow. :neckbeard:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Ishkibibble_Fish posted:

Oh man, good to know! That's pretty tempting, then. Do you really think Major has Saint Bernard? I know he's a big (handsome) guy...

There is an intact female saint that looks like she could carry extreme white that was in and out regularly at the shelter Major came from so it's certainly a possibility. He's 28 inches tall and 80 lbs so clearly he is part huge dog, and he does have a super thick coat like a saint. Underneath the white he has the same colors as a saint too, sable with a black mask.

Found a picture of Major's potential mom on petfinder:

edit:
Haha, she even came in to the pound with an ACD mix that particular time. They were reclaimed together.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 5, 2012

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

Found a picture of Major's potential mom on petfinder:

Dat giant slobbery mouth. :3:

edit:
Haha, she even came in to the pound with an ACD mix that particular time. They were reclaimed together.

Something about this guy's head and muzzle shape really reminds me of Hambone, wow.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
You should take those pictures and make a family photo for Major's Christmas present. :3:

I want to do a Wisdom Panel for Quaffle, but I'm afraid it's either going to turn out boring (malamute x "mixed breed") or ridiculous ("your 70 pound wolf-dog is a dachshund x wheaten terrier x king charles spaniel"). I just want to know why he has such dumb ears.

Does anyone else's mutt have spotted (black and pink) paw pads and different colored nails? His toes are all white so the spotting doesn't correspond to markings on his feet. Some of his nails are white, some are black, and some are streaked with black and white. The white/black/streaked nails don't correspond with the pink or black spotting either. Is this typical of any particular breed, or is he just weird? Why do you have such weird feet dog, why

The streaking isn't an injury or anything because I took the picture below in March, and I just checked that streaked nail on his right front foot (second from the outside, it's black on one side and white on the other) and it's exactly the same still.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
Rocky! I was told he's part pitbull part rott but I don't think that's accurate. If so then there's more to him than that. He's a pretty big dog and sweet as they come. He has the saggy neck too, it wouldn't surprise me to hear he was a bad pup :3: he can be a handful when he wants to be. When we first got him he would run off around the neighborhood, as most any dog will. But decided to go run around in random houses/backyards. Even if that meant jumping the fence.

He also hates taking pictures so I had to sneak this up on him with my phone.

and here he is with his head in a garbage can, cause why not.

gently caress you, garbage can!

CeramicPig fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 5, 2012

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Aravenna posted:

Does anyone else's mutt have spotted (black and pink) paw pads and different colored nails? His toes are all white so the spotting doesn't correspond to markings on his feet. Some of his nails are white, some are black, and some are streaked with black and white. The white/black/streaked nails don't correspond with the pink or black spotting either. Is this typical of any particular breed, or is he just weird? Why do you have such weird feet dog, why

The streaking isn't an injury or anything because I took the picture below in March, and I just checked that streaked nail on his right front foot (second from the outside, it's black on one side and white on the other) and it's exactly the same still.

My parents' dog is a maltese x shih tzu and has spotty paw pads. His nails are a mixture of colours too. I think it just corresponds with their fur/skin colour. If they have spotted skin it'll carry over onto their paw pads and nails.

^ Rocky looks like he has a wire coat in that first photo. It means he'd have to have some heritage with either a wiry-coated breed or a long-coated bearded breed. He's also sable so maybe he has some Airedale in him, that would give the sable colour and the wire coat. But sable and wire coat are dominant to pretty much everything else so it's not much to go on. :)

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I'm curious, what do you guys think is in Maci? I think her head looks really German Shepherdy. So maybe GSD/BC? We tease that rescue about labeling everything a BC mix because they have a huge thing for BCs.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Given the amount of white on her, BC is plausible. Maybe it's just me but I don't see the GSD. She could just be a farmdog mutt :)

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
I definitely see GSD. Those ears and eyes are very GSD.

huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*

Aravenna posted:

Oo! My Diaz has streaky bi-color nails on 2 of her legs, the left side of her body. :3 I love streaky nails so much, it's the main reason I don't paint hers because I like it so much (yeah, I'd totally paint her nails to match mine).

_basking_ by sabarika, on Flickr

And HOLY loving poo poo I WANT THIS DOG STAT LIKE YESTERDAY, I'm serious as a heart attack gently caress what my boyfriend says this is the ultimate dog. :aaaaa: If you get this dog PLEASE LET ME VISIT YOU AND LOVE ON IT. Those eyes..I loving love black dogs with bright moon eyes. Hot drat.

huskyjackal fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 8, 2012

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Since I am in Huntsville one day Diaz and Quaffle should have a meeting of the Cool Streaky Nailed Dog Club. And then we will all paint our nails.

huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*

Aravenna posted:

Since I am in Huntsville one day Diaz and Quaffle should have a meeting of the Cool Streaky Nailed Dog Club. And then we will all paint our nails.
OMFG my buddy lives in Huntsville! I lived with him for like 2 months in 2010. He used to work at the Olive Garden but I think he's renting his house and living in Birmingham with my boyfriend now running a restaurant. We totes should meet up, I'm actually moving down very soon (I hope) and Huntsville isn't TOO far out of the way...only problem is I totaled my car last month. So..yeah. We'll figure it out!

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Skizzles posted:

I'm curious, what do you guys think is in Maci? I think her head looks really German Shepherdy. So maybe GSD/BC? We tease that rescue about labeling everything a BC mix because they have a huge thing for BCs.

She looks a lot like my dog, who is also a rescue labeled BC mix.

I think the reason so many dogs are out there is that there are a lot of farm dogs/ranch dogs that look like this and are unspayed/unneutered.

I can also see why you see GSD, though. Something about the general set of the head.

Rhymes With Clue fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 11, 2012

Splat
Aug 22, 2002
In case people like seeing more wisdom panel results, I present: Amelia, Great Dane mix:

Interesting note: When she was tested for purebred status, she was 50/50 Italian Greyhound/Rat Terrier. This new test is the "mutt" test and now Rat Terrier's fully replaced by JRT and is the dominant breed somehow. No idea.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I got the Wisdom Panel test for Christmas. Just sent the swabs off yesterday, I can't wait. :neckbeard:

So I had this... interesting looking dog at work today. :stare: Anyone wanna take a stab at what he is? He's massive. I vote boxer/malamute. :colbert:

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
This makes me feel so much better about how dumb my dog's ears are. I desperately want a picture of him, Quaffle, and Shadow standing together. Bodywise he looks exactly like Quaffle with all the loose skin and everything. I vote boxer/malamute too along with shepherd or whatever Quaffle has. What's his tail like?

I can't stop staring you have found the best dog. I would parade this dog around EVERYWHERE so he could be all :saddowns: at everyone we meet.

Also yay for Shadow's Wisdom Panel! I am looking forward to learning that he is a Schnauzer x Puli mix. I can't wait to get Quaffle's at some point in the nearish future.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
That dog is ugly as hell and really oddly proportioned. It looks like somebody scaled up a lovely little Chihuahua mix but forgot to do the ears.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
His tail is a shorty stub tail. Favorite activities include: humping, barking, looking stupid. He would not respond to his name, but he responded pretty well to "Stupid Face."

Rhadamanthus
Dec 12, 2004

I roll a lotta sushi, roll 'em fat like John Belushi; call me Desi Arnaz, dogg, I love the Lucy.
Guys, be nice, he's special. :downs:

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

huskyjackal posted:

And HOLY loving poo poo I WANT THIS DOG STAT LIKE YESTERDAY, I'm serious as a heart attack gently caress what my boyfriend says this is the ultimate dog. :aaaaa: If you get this dog PLEASE LET ME VISIT YOU AND LOVE ON IT. Those eyes..I loving love black dogs with bright moon eyes. Hot drat.

Found another one:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/18914529?rvp=1

goddamn would you look at that dog

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Its eyes are too small. :catstare:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What does Sunni look like to you guys? The yellow dog in the back.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Tough to say just from that, but looks like a hunting dog cross like a Lab X Pointer.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
Vizsla X Lab? Something smug for sure. Do you have body shots of Sunni standing?

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Shelter said he was a poodle mix. I wasn't sure of this, but then the vet said he probably was and then the internet also said he was and then I looked at what poodles actually look like aside from the curly coat and now I'm pretty sure he is too. What I'd like to find is what the rest of him is. I've heard guesses at some kind of terrier or miniature schnauzer. I heard great dane too, but my guess is that person was joking. I thought about getting a DNA test to see if he's a terrier what kind he would be, but that sounds like a decent amount of money for what looks like an unreliable result.

He aims to please, he's a bit of a suckup. He loves me best, but if there's a new person/person he doesn't see all the time around it's like I'm not even there. At the same time he's willful and a bit stubborn when he wants to be. He weighs about 6.5 pounds. He's my first dog, so I don't really have a lot to compare him to.

Dogdoo 8 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 25, 2021

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
That's pretty small for a terrier or schnauzer mix, even the small ones would be 10-15lbs. My guess is poodle/chi. His face has the delicate chihuahua boning and the big eyes, plus the chihuahua legginess, with the poodle (or poodley mix thing) coat. Either that or an inordinately tiny rat terrier/chi mixed with a poodle, that could also work since rat terriers and chis have similar faces.

Cute little 'tato. :3:

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011
I always thought of chihuahua faces as having stubby snouts and eyes that bulge out of the face. Looking around though, chihuahua faces vary ridiculously from dog to dog. I've always thought of chihuahuas as yappy little shits that bite people all the time and would be way easy for me to step on, so I've been hesitant to call him that whether the reality of that actually being what chihuahuas are actually like or what he actually might be. Some of the chihuahuas on here seem nice and the mother/daughter pair in my obedience class really hated the other dogs especially at first, but they had a really rough start in life and are doing much better after just a few weeks.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

My friends have a very similar looking dog (just a lighter color) and they always say she's a Florida Swamp Terrier, because she came from a shelter in the Everglades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Captain Foxy posted:

That's pretty small for a terrier or schnauzer mix, even the small ones would be 10-15lbs. My guess is poodle/chi. His face has the delicate chihuahua boning and the big eyes, plus the chihuahua legginess, with the poodle (or poodley mix thing) coat. Either that or an inordinately tiny rat terrier/chi mixed with a poodle, that could also work since rat terriers and chis have similar faces.

Cute little 'tato. :3:

Now that you mention it, Beartato does look a little like a Chi/Poodle mix we had in class a few months back. That dog was AMAZING. It was in our intro agility class and this little dog blew all the other pups in the class out of the water. Drivey, smart, fast. Very nice dog out of some pretty lovely breeding.