Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Katana Gomai posted:

None of these will come true, sorry about the reality check.

I saw skyrim still has a subforum as well as Saint's Row 3 over a year later, so I figured maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Katana Gomai posted:

No matter how much you try to deny it, a single touch, resistive tablet is outdated tech for the sake of keeping the price of the console down. That doesn't mean it's necessarily a bad thing, I fits the bill in terms of being a cool controller for the WiiU; it would just be terrible at being anything but.

There are real benefits from using a resistive touch screen that aren't directly related to keeping the price down, though; it's not just a case of people trying to rationalise paying so much for an "outdated" controller or whatever.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

greatn posted:

I saw skyrim still has a subforum as well as Saint's Row 3 over a year later, so I figured maybe.

If people want game-specific threads, I say they should go ahead and make them. As far as I know, there's no mandate that everything be lumped together in a huge megathread. I get something like 95% of my gaming news and information from this forum, so if I don't see a game mentioned here (which can be difficult if it's buried in a 100+ page thread) I probably won't know that it even exists.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

greatn posted:

The only reason it still exists is because they can't work out how to get rid of it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The only reason it still exists is because they can't work out how to get rid of it.

Huh, really? There have been game specific subforums before that disappeared, the GTAIV one for instance, or did it just get renamed to the current Skyrim one?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I thought part of the point of them going with resistive was because it's way easier to do something like draw on it (which you'd need to do for maps or whatever).

The only thing I can't imagine is how you could do something like that "throw a ninja star" thing they always show. I'd think you'd need to press down a bit hard while flying your hand across the screen which I thought might be weird, but I'd imagine a reviewer would have mentioned this.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Didn't some reviewer say exactly that? As in, he had to repeat gestures because the screen didn't accept them? I think it was quoted a few pages ago.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
Did they improve the technology from the DS to the 3DS? It seems like my 3DS is way netter at recognizing fingerpresses than my DS.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
Is it worth it to wait for a black Wii U for the network premium thing? I really can't decide.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

kojicolnair posted:

Is it worth it to wait for a black Wii U for the network premium thing? I really can't decide.

If you plan on spending $500 on full-price retail games and DLC in the next 2 years (and don't mind not being able to sell them back or needing an external HDD to hold them) then I think it's a no-brainer to go for the Deluxe even if you don't care about Nintendoland or the added stands and cradles packed in.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

CubsWoo posted:

If you plan on spending $500 on full-price retail games and DLC in the next 2 years (and don't mind not being able to sell them back or needing an external HDD to hold them) then I think it's a no-brainer to go for the Deluxe even if you don't care about Nintendoland or the added stands and cradles packed in.

Yeah it would probably be worth it, I know one place I may get one on launch day but otherwise it might take me a while which is why I'm nervous cancelling my white one. Oh well I might as well.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Why would you cancel a preorder instead of either flipping it or returning it/not picking it up once you secured your other console?

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Yeah I thought part of the point of them going with resistive was because it's way easier to do something like draw on it (which you'd need to do for maps or whatever).

The only thing I can't imagine is how you could do something like that "throw a ninja star" thing they always show. I'd think you'd need to press down a bit hard while flying your hand across the screen which I thought might be weird, but I'd imagine a reviewer would have mentioned this.

Bingo on the drawing thing. Nintendo doesn't make touchscreen devices so you can navigate content not originally created for it, they make them so you can use them to communicate, and drawing/writing on a capactive screen sucks. Inchworm animation (a dsi software download) is more advanced than any drawing app released on iOS/Android by adobe or Autodesk for this reason alone.

As soon as everyone remembers to use your fingernail rather than finger on the Wii U will ensure it always reads its single input with extreme accuracy, the better we will be. I guess pinch to zoom would be nice, but google's already shown you can do it with a single input gesture in maps (double tap hold then drag up or down).

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Katana Gomai posted:

Why would you cancel a preorder instead of either flipping it or returning it/not picking it up once you secured your other console?

Because it's being shipped and I'd have to pay to ship it back. But apparently I'm not allowed to cancel it anyway so I'll have to figure something out.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

kojicolnair posted:

Because it's being shipped and I'd have to pay to ship it back. But apparently I'm not allowed to cancel it anyway so I'll have to figure something out.

I'm sure you can flip it locally on Craigslist and make a hundred or so bucks, or flip it at cost and make someone's day.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Question. What % of Nintendoland games need motion plus and are those multiplayer.

I have enough wiimotes and nunchucks, but I only have 1 wiimotion plus (zelda :awesome: ) Im wondering if I should pickup some adapters.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 15, 2012

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'm really not a fan of capacitive touch. I find it feels less immediately responsive, and I absolutely hate having to tap a target smaller than the pad of my finger and hope the device interprets me correctly. I generally prefer using a stylus as well, which gives resistive the edge.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Question. What % of Nintendoland games need motion plus and are those multiplayer.

I have enough wiimotes and numbchucks, but I only have 1 wiimotion plus (zelda :awesome: ) Im wondering if I should pickup some adapters.

I'm sorry, but 'numbchucks'? :raise:

v v v The "I'm sorry" was supposed to be for my inability to resist pointing it out, but it made it just sound smugger/ruder than I'd intended, haha. :(

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 15, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The proper term is "Wii ヌンチャク". :rolleyes:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

I'm sorry, but 'numbchucks'? :raise:

My most humble apologies.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

greatn posted:

I'm sure you can flip it locally on Craigslist and make a hundred or so bucks, or flip it at cost and make someone's day.

Hmm not a bad idea. I'm in canada so no craigslist but checked a local thing and theres 1 person in my town looking for a Wii U so going to see what they say.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Bombadilillo posted:

I have enough wiimotes and nunchucks, but I only have 1 wiimotion plus (zelda :awesome: ) Im wondering if I should pickup some adapters.

I'm in the exact same boat. Curious to know if I'm going to be forced to buy all new Wiimotes/adapters to play a lot of games.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
I plan on trading in my old white Wiimotes/Nunchucks/Motion+ adapters (I have 2 of each) and getting a black Wiimote+/Nunchuck/Pro. I think one of each should suffice me for a while.

Plus, as of last week, I'm eligible for a Gamestop employee discount :D

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Nintendo Land - 4/5

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/15/nintendo-land-review/

edit: Writer really just used "ersatz" in a video game review.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 15, 2012

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

IGN review. (8.7)

Also Mario (9.1)

I'd have grabbed both of those regardless but it's good to see that they're quality outings. What I'm really waiting for are some ZombiU reviews - I'm still on the fence with that one but I hope it turns out as well as it looks like it could.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Disappointing Pie posted:

I'm in the exact same boat. Curious to know if I'm going to be forced to buy all new Wiimotes/adapters to play a lot of games.

Well, they are pretty cheep on amazon for jsut the adapter vfrom a bunch of sellers so I just bought a couple. Im sure I will need it vfor something somewhere down the line.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Nintendo Land - 8.7/10

"Wii Sports has met its match"

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/15/nintendo-land-review

edit: :argh:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Do IGN's reviews always read like press releases or did Nintendo just hand them a review to run?

Joystiq's review is a lot less written like an advertisement, I'll go with what they say about these games.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Do IGN's reviews always read like press releases or did Nintendo just hand them a review to run?

Joystiq's review is a lot less written like an advertisement, I'll go with what they say about these games.

Joystiq gave Mario a 4.5/5.

Also, I still have no friggin' idea what you do in Little Inferno, but if it's even half as good as World Of Goo it's worth a download.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Well I was on the fense about Mario, guess I'm going to get it now.

And by that I mean download it for some sweet premium points.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 15, 2012

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Bombadilillo posted:

Well I was on the fense about Mario, guess I'm going to get it now.

poo poo man, even professional troll Jim Sterling liked it.

New Super Mario Bros U: 8.5/10

quote:

New Super Mario Bros. 2 was a good game, but I couldn't help feeling disappointed with it. The first New Super Mario Bros. felt like a breath of fresh air, a welcome return to the past in an age where such simplicity had been forgotten. The right bit of nostalgia at the right time can feel incredibly new.

The sequel was not that. Already following New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Super Mario 3D Land, it didn't feel old-school as much as it felt plain old. Still good, but wholly unambitious.

With the advent of New Super Mario Bros. U, I now know why it lacked adventure and inspiration. Nintendo had clearly already spent itself working on this little bit of greatness.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Quest For Glory II posted:

All depends on the reviewer but the quality is consistently terrible. Who could forget the days of Matt "I'm going to discuss the technical details that nobody loving cares about for seven paragraphs" Cassamassina or Mark "I have zero writing skills so I'm just going to say I liked it/didn't like it 30 different ways" Bozon?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

BexGu posted:

poo poo man, even professional troll Jim Sterling liked it.

New Super Mario Bros U: 8.5/10

I think you mean Hate.5 if it's from Jim Sterling.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Was there anyone here that really thought it'd be anything less than an 80? I dunno, to me an 80+ in a genre I like with a brand I like is usually a great purchase for me.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

bilperkins2 posted:

Was there anyone here that really thought it'd be anything less than an 80? I dunno, to me an 80+ in a genre I like with a brand I like is usually a great purchase for me.

Could have been a cash-grab upscale of NSMBWii with some NSMB2 thrown in and you would have seen scores in the 60s.

But it's not, there's new stuff there, and apparently people are appreciating the effort.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
What the hell is wrong with these reviewers talking about NSMB's four player mode as "chaotic", and meaning it in a bad way? :psyduck:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

What the hell is wrong with these reviewers talking about NSMB's four player mode as "chaotic", and meaning it in a bad way? :psyduck:

Yeah I thought part of the fun of those games was jumping on everyone's head and throwing people off cliffs making it impossible to go anywhere. At least that's how my roommates and I play. :getin:

The Nintendo Land review actually has me a bit worried. Most of the mini-games don't seem that fun. Still, it's a pack-in for me so if it's mediocre it's not the end of the world.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

OldSenileGuy posted:

Yeah. The chaos is the best part of NSMBWii. (Images from Maxwell Adam's LP).

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
I agree with chaotic in a bad way. I hated that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

OldSenileGuy posted:

They clearly don't know how to play the videogame correctly. Gaming journalists, I swear.

Rirse posted:

Yeah. The chaos is the best part of NSMBWii. (Images from Maxwell Adam's LP).

My greatest contribution to LP. :)

• Locked thread