Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

tarepanda posted:

Does that even exist? maccha is by definition green tea.

Technically you're right, but if you're trying to find tea powder that isn't green tea, it's usually going to be listed as matcha. You can get black tea and rooibos powders.

I bet the rooibos powder would be really good as a substitute for matcha in that green tea ice cream recipe my sister has...hmm...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
So I'm planning on making stock for the first time. I saw this video and thought it looked awesome so I'm planning on basically following these directions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pMP8wJfizc

Only with normal beef bones instead of veal. Does this sound good to you guys? Any suggestions on stuff to do differently or improve upon would be greatly appreciated. I'm so ready for this delicious goo.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Looks about right :)

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

So I'm planning on making stock for the first time. I saw this video and thought it looked awesome so I'm planning on basically following these directions:

Only with normal beef bones instead of veal. Does this sound good to you guys? Any suggestions on stuff to do differently or improve upon would be greatly appreciated. I'm so ready for this delicious goo.

Thats about how I do my stocks. You can pretty much do the exact same basic recipe for turkey and chickens as well (I do this after every turkey I make).

If you don't already have some, you're going to for sure want a really good strainer to get all the crud out after you've simmered it out. Cheesecloth over a collander works pretty well for small batches, but obviously if you're dealing with the amount in the video that will not end well for you.

I usually try to use some right away for soup, and I find you can freeze any extra you have for a couple months at most before it starts to lose its deliciousness.

If you don't have fresh herbs you can use dry ones, but you're going to need a hell of a lot more and its just going to add to the amount of crap you're going to need to strain out, so try to grab larger fresh ones if you can (except the bay leaves, dry is fine)

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Yeah I will chime in and say this is an excellent video. The cooling is a little.. well cambros are designed to be good insulators, so the ice water is good, an ice wand is better, nested hotel pans with ice water (so that there's maximum surface area is best, as far as rapid cooling. As a home cook, it's definitely important for you to cool things down; your average little kitchen fridge will NOT like cooling down gallons and gallons of stock.

In my last kitchen we would make remi, reduce it down to one gallon (looked like a straight up D&D gelatinous cube), and then add that to the following week's veal stock. Sometimes we would do things in different order.. if you're worried about the beef goodies burning you can add the tomato product to the veggies, or whatever is easiest -- as long as you get roasted bones, roasted veggies, and roasted tomato in there with all the deglazed bits and herbs, you're good.

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

Does anyone have a good cut out cookie recipe along the lines of a thick sugar or butter cookie with a slight almond flavor? I lost my favorite recipe two years ago and since I make cookies every holiday I am hoping to find a suitable replacement. None of the ones I found online from Bakingdom, allrecipes, and a google search have really done it for me.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Jmcrofts posted:

If you're going to use beef bones instead of veal then I would maybe consider throwing something with lots of collagen (chicken feet, maybe) in there to get more gelatin in your stock.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

In the winter I just cool my stock down outside, it's ten times faster than doing it in the fridge. Of course, it requires your outside temperatures to be fairly low.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
im the laziest of lazy so I usually just reduce my stock slightly past where I want it and then throw in a few handfuls of ice to cool it down

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Hi Goons. I'm here with another request. My mother just got some kobe beef in not too long ago and naturally, the family is pretty excited to try it. She thought about doing a stir-fry but I told her I'd like to see if we could find some recipes for all of us to look at and decide on.

So, here I am! Anyone have any good places to look at or recipes for kobe beef?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Transmogrifier posted:

Hi Goons. I'm here with another request. My mother just got some kobe beef in not too long ago and naturally, the family is pretty excited to try it. She thought about doing a stir-fry but I told her I'd like to see if we could find some recipes for all of us to look at and decide on.

I don't really know where to go for special Kobe recipes, but eating at least some of it as a steak might be a good idea.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Turkeybone posted:

Coolwhoami posted:

Casu Marzu posted:

Thanks for the advice guys, doing this poo poo today, get hype.

RazorBunny posted:

In the winter I just cool my stock down outside, it's ten times faster than doing it in the fridge. Of course, it requires your outside temperatures to be fairly low.

This is genius, it's like 40 degrees F outside where I am, I'll try that out.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

I never saw this cut of meat before, so I did the intelligent thing and bought it. It was labeled as "Beef Petite Striploin Roast" and Google never heard of it. Is this just the skinny end of a striploin roast?

Roast it? Give it a few hours in the puddle machine?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Looks like it'd be a fine roast. Or also good for cutting into awesome thick steaks (that fatty bit on the top is perfect for putting in the pan first and letting render out, then flipping the steak onto the flat side and cooking in it's own fat.)

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Transmogrifier posted:

stir fry in general is something that you do with meats that are less nice, the meat is cut small and cooked very hot and fast with a lot of other strong flavors. it would still taste good with kobe beef, but it wouldn't taste much different than using any other beef.

what cut is it? I'd steer more to applications that highlight the beef itself, depending on what you are working with.

also not to poo poo on your parade or anything but here is a fun article about kobe beef and us copyright law (I don't actually know if you are in the us, also there's an update in the article I hadn't read yet!) http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2012/04/12/foods-biggest-scam-the-great-kobe-beef-lie/

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jmcrofts posted:

Thanks for the advice guys, doing this poo poo today, get hype.

This is genius, it's like 40 degrees F outside where I am, I'll try that out.

Saves electricity too!

I have been asked to make a cornbread for an American chum's Thanksgiving dinner which we are attending. Any good recipes for a traditional cornbread?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

10 tbsp melted butter (1 stick plus 2 tbsp)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups milk (or half and half, for fatty goodness)
2 cups cornmeal
1 cup flour
4 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1 15.25-oz can of sweet corn, drained

Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes if you decide to use a muffin tin, 25-30 if you bake it in a square pan. If you put the rack in the top position you get some nice crunchy browning on top, but some people prefer it without that.

Don't over mix the batter, or it gets tough. I'd actually recommend sifting the dry ingredients into the wet to get rid of lumps.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
I like this jalapeno cornbread recipe from about.com. Actually I like Chef John recipes in general.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
The one I make I put in a muffin tin and it makes exactly 12, takes a cup of everything.

1c flour
1c cornmeal
1c buttermilk
1c corn (I just use frozen corn kernels and add them to the dough still frozen)
.5-.67c sugar
.25c butter
2 eggs
.25tsp baking soda
.25tsp salt
2tsp baking powder

I put it all in the mixer and mix for 30 seconds to a minute on high. Comes out fine, isn't tough. Dump into greased muffin tin, bake at 375F for 20-25 minutes, or until knife inserted into a muffin comes out clean.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

1 cup cornmeal (course ground)
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
A little melted fat of your choice
Enough buttermilk to make it into a very thick batter

Get a cast iron pan really hot, add some bacon grease to melt in it, then pour in the batter. Bake at 450 for 20 minutes or half an hour or whatever it takes to make the top nice and brown and for a toothpick in the center to come out clean.

No sugar in cornbread come on seriously that's like effete New Englander stuff.

Sojin
Sep 23, 2007

*rattle*... *rattle*
How do you handle the fact that 30 things have to be in the oven during thanksgiving. Specifically, the Turkey takes priority over everything else, but if I want to do stuffing or rolls or warm up a dish made the night before... Just seems like kind of a bitch. Does anyone put turkey on the grill? Would that even be practical with a 16 pound turkey?

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Plan your dishes around what appliance is used to cook it. Make 2-3 cold things in advance, 1-2 things that you reheat in the microwave, 1-2 things to cook or finish on the stove, and 1 thing that can be prepped a day ahead that you put in the oven after you take the turkey out since the turkey needs to rest 20-30 minutes anyway.

Charmmi posted:

I think I'm pretty decent with a knife, considering I've been cutting at things for a while without managing to slice myself open. (Using a mandoline is a whole different story oh god my thumg) I think I could be better, faster, more efficient. I know my offhand grip on food is not the most effective. Do you have any favorite knife technique videos that I could look at to see what I'm doing differently?

Pleas Halp.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I'm having a girl come over next Tuesday and I'm cooking for her, haven't done that before (shut up). I'm not wanting to go all out, because we are more friends..ish, but I still definitely want to impress and it's not gonna take much to impress. I'm capable with basic to possibly intermediate cooking and have done things like many pasta's, chili's, whole ham's, tenderloins, whichever.

I can follow directions.

Any suggestions on a good dinner for two that won't break the bank or send me shopping for equipment I don't have? Have a gas powered stove & an oven with things to bake in, skillets, pans, etc.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Charmmi posted:

Pleas Halp.

No.

Sojin
Sep 23, 2007

*rattle*... *rattle*

Charmmi posted:

the turkey needs to rest 20-30 minutes anyway.

I might be able to work with 20-30 minutes resting time, I always thought the resting time was more like 10-15. Thanks, still curious about people bbqing turkey.

thank you, i'll be reading up on this.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Not to whore out my own thread or whatever, but there is a holiday cooking thread that you may be interested in. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516203

Sojin fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 16, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Sojin posted:

How do you handle the fact that 30 things have to be in the oven during thanksgiving. Specifically, the Turkey takes priority over everything else, but if I want to do stuffing or rolls or warm up a dish made the night before... Just seems like kind of a bitch. Does anyone put turkey on the grill? Would that even be practical with a 16 pound turkey?

Not to whore out my own thread or whatever, but there is a holiday cooking thread that you may be interested in. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516203

I've grilled a turkey, it works fine, you need to tent it at some point, and really monitor the temp. Breaking it down and grilling in pieces is the best way to do it, though. Another thing to remember is that an oven roasted turkey can and should rest for at least 20-30 min before carving. That said, you can go pretty far in terms of getting things warmed up. Doing a stove top dressing can make up for oven space. Sauteeing veg as a side instead of roasting can give you more, or roast in the turkey drippings. A toaster oven can get dinner roll duty. etc.

e: f,b
Also, like charmmi said, plan your dishes around available appliances

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Charmmi posted:

Pleas Halp.

Kind of hard to know what you need if we don't know what you're doing. Are you curling your fingers in on the food-holding hand? Are you pinching the knife blade instead of holding it like a weapon?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 15, 2012

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:|

Steve Yun posted:

Kind of hard to know what you need if we don't know what you're doing. Are you curling your fingers in on the food-holding hand?

Definitely not but I know what grip you mean. I understand the idea of using my knuckles to guide the knife but I never developed a habit for it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

89 posted:

I'm having a girl come over next Tuesday and I'm cooking for her, haven't done that before (shut up). I'm not wanting to go all out, because we are more friends..ish, but I still definitely want to impress and it's not gonna take much to impress. I'm capable with basic to possibly intermediate cooking and have done things like many pasta's, chili's, whole ham's, tenderloins, whichever.

I can follow directions.

Any suggestions on a good dinner for two that won't break the bank or send me shopping for equipment I don't have? Have a gas powered stove & an oven with things to bake in, skillets, pans, etc.

Pimping my own recipe here, but this is pretty cheap to make, and moderately impressive:

Pork chops stuffed with spinach and fontina

To quote from the writeup, "If I had known how to make this in college, I would not have had to rely so much on my looks and my huge cock."

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

No sugar in cornbread come on seriously that's like effete New Englander stuff.

Are you kidding? Every Southern grandmother I've ever known used sugar. Except the ones who used molasses.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Proper southern cornbread has enough sugar to be served as a dessert west of the Mississippi.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Charmmi posted:

Plan your dishes around what appliance is used to cook it. Make 2-3 cold things in advance, 1-2 things that you reheat in the microwave, 1-2 things to cook or finish on the stove, and 1 thing that can be prepped a day ahead that you put in the oven after you take the turkey out since the turkey needs to rest 20-30 minutes anyway.

Pleas Halp.

The reason that that knuckle guiding technique is so stressed with pretty much any cookist is because it really does help speed things up over time, and keep your fingers in one piece. Just keep doing it over and over again until it becomes convenient for you, and your speed will improve.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Charmmi posted:

Definitely not but I know what grip you mean. I understand the idea of using my knuckles to guide the knife but I never developed a habit for it.

Those are your two biggest things for good knife practices, along with keeping it sharp.

Check out youtubes of people chopping stuff, there's zillions of them of different vegetables

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Proper southern cornbread has enough sugar to be served as a dessert west of the Mississippi.

We don't use sugar where I'm from, hombre. Sometimes jalapenos. I think you understand.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Charmmi posted:

:|

I'd make sure that your palm was always down, too, so you have more control. Like a palm strike? If the shaded part is on the counter you will have more control.

Also, if you're subconsciously worried about cutting yourself, angle the knife slightly away, so instead of

your fingers | | the knife

you can do | \

But yes kind of hard to diagnose with pics or video.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Those are your two biggest things for good knife practices, along with keeping it sharp.

Check out youtubes of people chopping stuff, there's zillions of them of different vegetables

Which ones would you specifically recommend?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

We don't use sugar where I'm from, hombre. Sometimes jalapenos. I think you understand.

Oh yeah, I like spicy cornbread too. Just saying sugar is a southern thing, not a new england thing.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

And it still isn't as sweet as cornmeal spoonbread.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

89 posted:

I can follow directions.

Thanks for cornbread recipes, y'all!!

My date dinner used to be a Jamie Oliver trout stuffed with thyme recipe. Really easy. Make a paste of fresh thyme, olive oil, salt, pepper. Stuff fish cavity. Wrap/seal fish in foil with half a lemon with bay leaf stuck in lemon. cook in oven at highest temp for ten minutes. Serve with minted new potatoes (dead easy - boil potstoes, dress with butter, chopped mint, S&P) and something like peas or asparagus, or just a green salad. Super easy, great on the effort/reward ratio, delicious, not too pricey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

89 posted:

Can you manage something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSrR0CsbGWs