Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

CapnAndy posted:

Aaaand I totally love that artist. Who is that?

Stefano Caselli.

He's pretty great at doing expressive characters.

More Avengers Assemble #9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I'm probably missing a joke, but why is she frowny here? You'd think this was what she wanted. (Or something in the vicinity of what she wanted, at least.)

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

prefect posted:

I'm probably missing a joke, but why is she frowny here? You'd think this was what she wanted. (Or something in the vicinity of what she wanted, at least.)

Somebody's gotta clean that mess up (and Hulk would make an even bigger mess doing it).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aw, is Hulk a mental toddler again?

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
I have a theory that he just acts however the gently caress he wants because nobody knows how he's supposed to act. Sometimes it's hulkspeak, sometimes it's not, are you really gonna question the Hulk?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I have a theory that he just acts however the gently caress he wants because nobody knows how he's supposed to act. Sometimes it's hulkspeak, sometimes it's not, are you really gonna question the Hulk?

We can't hear it through speech bubbles, but Hulk often talks like one of the Karashian sisters just to thoroughly annoy people.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Waterhaul posted:

Stefano Caselli.

He's pretty great at doing expressive characters.

More Avengers Assemble #9

Welp just bought this and holy poo poo it's hilarious. Every panel was great, everyone was hilarious, it was all around a loving awesome book is the rest of AA this good?

Post the Thor/Tony page

"That's what I'm talking about! Goats!"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Welp just bought this and holy poo poo it's hilarious. Every panel was great, everyone was hilarious, it was all around a loving awesome book is the rest of AA this good?

Nooooo, god no. The first arc of AA is everything bad about Bendis's Avengers condensed and amplified with a little bit of Guardians of the Galaxy and Thanos thrown in. Basically the whole thing exists to go "Huh, we're making a GotG movie, right? And Thanos is probably gonna be the villain of Avengers 2? We should probably reintroduce those poorly in case people forgot."

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

HAY were you guys curious about the Phantom Stranger like me, because you are old and remembered some pretty cool stories? Remember how the stranger was a mysterious badass who was more feared than heroic? Well that poo poo's gone now and you get subtle pieces of character writing like this:

Phanton Stranger #0

This is so bad that it's funny which is why I'm posting it here.

EDIT-vvvv Blacksad "Somewhere within the shadows" from the 2003 series. Don't remember more.

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Nov 16, 2012

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Dem teeth :haw:

For something that's funny because of good art, here's something from an issue of Blacksad. Not sure which one.

I love the guy's expression in the first panel.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

HAY were you guys curious about the Phantom Stranger like me, because you are old and remembered some pretty cool stories? Remember how the stranger was a mysterious badass who was more feared than heroic? Well that poo poo's gone now and you get subtle pieces of character writing like this:

Phanton Stranger #0

This is so bad that it's funny which is why I'm posting it here.

Why does he look like Norman Osborn?

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.

Cassa posted:

Why does he look like Norman Osborn?

The fact that he is talking about a "Gwen" is reminding me of a story I would rather not think about.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

David Aja posted a page from Hawkeye #6 on his Twitter, it's not terribly spoilery but linked here to err on the side of caution.

This is very possibly my favorite page of anything ever.

OK GO!

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

prefect posted:

It's a joke. Jessica has pheromone powers which make men do what she wants, she didn't actually want Hulk to make her a sandwich.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Post the Thor/Tony page

"That's what I'm talking about! Goats!"

Fine but only so I can post the page after it :colbert:

So everybody needs to buy Avengers Assemble #9 so Kelly Sue can stay on it as long as possible.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, I found it really refreshing to read an Avengers comic that was all about lighthearted character moments.

Do think it's weird how Thor is all chummy with Tony after it's been established several times that he hates his guts over what happened during Civil War, but whatever, that wouldn't fit the tone of this comic anyway.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"All right! That's what I'm talking about! Goats!" Is awesome. I feel the urge to buy the book to find out what the context for that is.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, I found it really refreshing to read an Avengers comic that was all about lighthearted character moments.

Do think it's weird how Thor is all chummy with Tony after it's been established several times that he hates his guts over what happened during Civil War, but whatever, that wouldn't fit the tone of this comic anyway.

Bendis did a mini a few years back, Avengers Prime, where Tony, Cap and Thor all just got over their outstanding "baggage/hatred/annoyance" with each other due to Civil War.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Wasn't Tony redeemed by having his character get amnesia specifically about all the rear end in a top hat things he had done? I remember being horribly disappointed at that, but I also hit my head a lot.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Sanschel posted:

David Aja posted a page from Hawkeye #6 on his Twitter, it's not terribly spoilery but linked here to err on the side of caution.

OK GO!

"UGH! Shellshock..."

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
This reminds me of a bit from a Princess Bride retrospective video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZg8XMdgX8Y#t=27s :3:

Many days worth of The Amazing Spider-Man newspaper comic. Collage from the Comic Strip Megathread a ways back (unfortunately, I don't have the name of the poster who created it).

Zero_Tactility fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 16, 2012

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Zero_Tactility posted:

This reminds me of a bit from a Princess Bride retrospective video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZg8XMdgX8Y#t=27s :3:

Many days worth of The Amazing Spider-Man newspaper comic. Collage from the Comic Strip Megathread a ways back (unfortunately, I don't have the name of the poster who created it).

And even a panel of those silly Spider-Man comic edits! If anyone hasn't seen them, they're available here: http://danarchy.youfailit.net/Spiderman/ , with the panel in question being from #12, Fappo.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Chinaman7000 posted:

Wasn't Tony redeemed by having his character get amnesia specifically about all the rear end in a top hat things he had done? I remember being horribly disappointed at that, but I also hit my head a lot.

He wasn't redeemed by that, he was redeemed by being able to look at all the poo poo he'd done from an outside perspective and be wholly and truly sorry for the pain he'd put his friends through.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I love Ghost Rider's "Hey, watch it man!"

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

graybook posted:

And even a panel of those silly Spider-Man comic edits! If anyone hasn't seen them, they're available here: http://danarchy.youfailit.net/Spiderman/ , with the panel in question being from #12, Fappo.

They're still online at the original source, FYI: http://jaypinkerton.com/2004/06/08/spider-man-comics/

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

techknight posted:

They're still online at the original source, FYI: http://jaypinkerton.com/2004/06/08/spider-man-comics/

Ah, alright! I was having trouble with the source for a while for whatever reason. Probably because I was searching for it while using my tablet.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Waterhaul posted:

It's a joke. Jessica has pheromone powers which make men do what she wants, she didn't actually want Hulk to make her a sandwich.

So everybody needs to buy Avengers Assemble #9 so Kelly Sue can stay on it as long as possible.

Although the art is a little stiff this is so much better than most of what I've seen over the last 20 years, and the writing is fun too. Reminds me of Amanda Conner's excellent work, especially expressions.

And Thanos as a movie villain? If it's Jim Starlin's Thanos that would be awesome. I have no idea what weird poo poo writers have done to that character after all these years. He's probably a member of the Fantastic Four by now.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Dick Trauma posted:

And Thanos as a movie villain? If it's Jim Starlin's Thanos that would be awesome. I have no idea what weird poo poo writers have done to that character after all these years. He's probably a member of the Fantastic Four by now.

Thanos is still pretty much Thanos he's more interested in keeping the universe running now because Death pointed out that killing people for her is like giving her a bouquet of spreadsheets.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

I think I love this artist. Though I'd be curious to see it without the coloring too.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SirDan3k posted:

like giving her a bouquet of spreadsheets.

This is a wonderful turn of phrase and I'll have to remember it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

From Strange Adventures #79

I'll have to go through these deeper when I have more time. They are simply full of this stuff

Edit:

Strange Adventures 89

Look at them! They're absolutely adorable!

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 16, 2012

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Scaramouche posted:

HAY were you guys curious about the Phantom Stranger like me, because you are old and remembered some pretty cool stories? Remember how the stranger was a mysterious badass who was more feared than heroic?

Remember how he sucked at shopping?

(From Seven Soldiers of Victory)

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

Waterhaul posted:

Ok I'm picking this up next week just so I can see the context of whatever the hell is happening here.

Edit: Are the Bendis issues necessary or can I just start with this?

Mister Chompers fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 17, 2012

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Remember how he sucked at shopping?

(From Seven Soldiers of Victory)

I love that that whole spiel about storm clouds is his opening line and not the bread thing. It makes me think of Dr. Orpheus from Venture Bros.

For content, here's Batman Inc #0 where we see that Batman has a very interesting sales pitch for joining his organization:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 17, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sanschel posted:

OK GO!

OH MY GAWD.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
From Insufferable week 22:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

It also does double duty as a ranged sonic and stench weapon. :barf:

JustV
Apr 23, 2008

Only Literally On Fire

Zero_Tactility posted:

That would be me. Five years of Spider-Man comics in one image. Funny thing is, you can always tell when a Marvel movie was coming out because there's always a pointless Marvel hero cameo, such as Spidey bumping into a fake Ghost Rider on a movie set, that made absolutely no sense. Also, it turns out that Spider-Man versus the brick makes almost 20% more sense in context!

And since this is the funny panels thread, here's the same idea using two Dick Tracey arcs from 2010/2011 that came up just short of completion:

JustV fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 17, 2012

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Sanschel posted:

OK GO!

Holy poo poo that made my brain start playing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaJDwv56ii0

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Mister Chompers posted:

Ok I'm picking this up next week just so I can see the context of whatever the hell is happening here.

Edit: Are the Bendis issues necessary or can I just start with this?

You don't need to read the Bendis issues at all to know what's going on, they weren't' very good so start with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

Dacap posted:

You don't need to read the Bendis issues at all to know what's going on, they weren't' very good so start with this.

Yeah I only read bad things about them so was hoping this was the case, thank you.

• Locked thread