Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

The Valley Stared posted:

I'm applying for Navy OCS with a BA in International Studies, 3.91 GPA, 54 on the ASTB, and several recommendations.

My question is: I recently went to MEPS and things seemed fine overall. I had to have my ear flushed, but no big deal. I was also told I needed to have my most recent Optometrist appointment information sent to them since my eye sight is lovely, but I see fine with glasses/contacts. I also apparently have no depth perception, but I'm not attempting to be a pilot.

Today I got a letter from the DoD saying that I have "Excessive Optical Sphere" and that this is a permanent disqualifying disability. The letter said I can file for a waiver, but with the board coming up this month (if it hasn't already), I don't know what's going to happen.

My recruiter is out of town until Monday, but after reading up, it sounds like this is something that can be waived if I get eye surgery and it fixes it to acceptable limits.

What do you think my chances are of getting this waived and continuing on if I get the surgery, or should I just start looking at different career paths since the military doesn't need to put up with my terrible eyes? I want to join the Navy, and for the past few months, preparing for OCS has been my life.

The DoD probably just did you the biggest favor of your life..

Have you looked into, I dunno, the State Department, CIA, DIA, NGA, NSA, FBI, DEA, U.S Marshalls, Secret Service, USPIS, DOJ, DHS, or any of a million other agencies that would have a hard on for a recent 4 year grad with superb grades and recommendations? Your particular major isn't really a barrier to entry in most federal agencies unless you wanted to do something technical.

I would think that you could pretty easily get yourself a civil service position if you so desired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
I haven't really look into the other agencies since I wanted to get into the Navy. I am now, since if the waiver doesn't work out, I'm SOL in regards to my first choice. I've got a good friend working for the Department of State, and obviously I can talk to other Goons too.

Thanks for the suggestions, Shimazu. They are very helpful.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

Hey man, the key words in his post were "if you tell anyone"
Other people in the thread were pretty clear on "don't lie," while you appear to believe it's not necessary to disclose everything. So... how bad is it to omit things?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

edit: disregard, i'll let somebody else better answer this because of clearance poo poo

shyduck fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 10, 2012

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

nooneofconsequence posted:

Other people in the thread were pretty clear on "don't lie," while you appear to believe it's not necessary to disclose everything. So... how bad is it to omit things?

It's like everything else in the military, its only bad if you get caught.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
If it's nothing that's gonna cause you some kind of wild injury or problem just by working, then it's not so bad.

If you are getting a super secret squirrel clearance and lie about it on the interview and get busted, or polygraph and get busted... that's pretty bad.

Then again, people I've talked to say that they lied on their application to get in, told the truth on their clearance poo poo, and they were golden.

I could say, don't ever lie, but, well...

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

The Valley Stared posted:

I'm applying for Navy OCS with a BA in International Studies, 3.91 GPA, 54 on the ASTB, and several recommendations.

My question is: I recently went to MEPS and things seemed fine overall. I had to have my ear flushed, but no big deal. I was also told I needed to have my most recent Optometrist appointment information sent to them since my eye sight is lovely, but I see fine with glasses/contacts. I also apparently have no depth perception, but I'm not attempting to be a pilot.

Today I got a letter from the DoD saying that I have "Excessive Optical Sphere" and that this is a permanent disqualifying disability. The letter said I can file for a waiver, but with the board coming up this month (if it hasn't already), I don't know what's going to happen.

My recruiter is out of town until Monday, but after reading up, it sounds like this is something that can be waived if I get eye surgery and it fixes it to acceptable limits.

What do you think my chances are of getting this waived and continuing on if I get the surgery, or should I just start looking at different career paths since the military doesn't need to put up with my terrible eyes? I want to join the Navy, and for the past few months, preparing for OCS has been my life.

On the enlisted side, this was an easy waiver to get pushed through. At a minimum, you will draw a consult with an eye doctor. Worst case scenario, you have to submit a Bureau of Medicine Waiver (BUMED). If you have to go through the entire waiver process it can take some time. Expect at least three or four weeks to get everything processed and be prepared to fill out an rear end ton of paperwork.

I wouldn't jump into surgery unless you are told it's a requirement. The surgery will disqualify you for a period of time (I think it's 90 days but it may be 180 days). Often times the consult will say your vision sucks but it's correctable with glasses. While you are in the Navy will pay for your corrective eye surgery if you jump through the paperwork.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 13, 2012

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
How is the OAR judged? Is it the best score that you get, or the most recent? I got a score in the mid sixties, and think I could do better if I studied some mechanics since I wasn't as ready for that section as I thought I'd be. If I take it again, is there a chance I could shoot myself in the foot, or is it all the best-of, ACT/SAT style? Does it even matter if I got a score in the seventies instead of the sixties, or are they mostly concerned that I qualify and that's it?

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.
Alright my situation is getting a little crazy and I've been dealing with it mostly on my own for years so I'd like to get it all out on paper and get some opinions on my options:

Currently 24 years old, 5'10", 148lbs.

I was attending college at USF about 5 years ago, got about 50 credit hours and had around a 3.2 GPA, then a bunch of family poo poo happened and I moved around about 8 times in 3 years, and wasn't in a stable enough locale to really continue my education. I started looking into the service, did a lot of research in this forum, and decided to look into the Air Force.

My overall plan was to enlist in a job that granted high level security clearance that involved computers/networking to some degree that wouldn't make me want to blow my loving brains out. Figured I'd get out, use my GI Bill to get a degree in something involving computers/networking, and between my clearance, computer/network related job and computer/network related degree, it would be smooth sailing after putting in my military service.

After going through 2 or 3 recruiters in Maryland trying to put me in "open general aptitude" I settled on someone 45 minutes away in Hyattsville. Told me I could make a list of 10 jobs, wait in DEP until one of them opened up. Got as far as taking the ASVAB test (Mechanical: 63 Administrative: 96 General: 89 Electrical: 99). poo poo happened, got away from my horrible family, got a decent retail job, and told the guy I'd pick up where I left off in a year.

Following year the guy doesn't give me nearly as good of a deal, and a few months into starting the process again I wind up unexpectedly moving to Florida. Go through a few more poo poo recruiters until I find a guy in Orlando that gives me what sounds like a good deal (another pick a list and wait for the job you want scenario).

I started working with this guy in August. A month of waiting for him to get the information from my last recruiter (told him I'd get all the stuff again myself but nope!), another month and a half I couldn't do anything because "the systems were down" (apparently a military server base in texas got flooded and took a while to fix), another month dealing with credit bullshit, apparently i need to take the ASVAB again, and here's the kicker:

If I don't want a 6-year enlistment, I have to state my case in person to the local flight officer, only the recruiter doesn't know when he can set up an appointment and has no idea if my "explanations" will suffice. Considering I have to keep calling this guy and reminding him of what the situation is it's pretty clear he doesn't give two shits about whether I enlist or not. I'd rather not get out at 30 and still not have a degree.

Is this 6 year bullshit thing nationwide now or what? I was looking into Intel and Cyberspace Support mostly and didn't see anything about a mandatory 6-year enlistment in any of the job descriptions in those fields.

Right now I'm working part-time at Costco to pay the bills, renting out a studio apartment in Orlando with my girlfriend, but I can't keep putting my life on hold here. Frankly I don't want to go through this process again with another recruiter either.

I've been considering just saying gently caress it and going back to school, but I'd have to be working early morning shifts at the same time, I'd have to wait a year to even get in-state tuition, and I've spent the last 3-4 years looking at the military and I'm hesitant to just write it off now. Any suggestions?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Pick another branch of service? In my experience, behind the Coast Guard, the Air Force recruiters have the easiest time finding applicants. It's a matter of them screening out the ones who are unqualified, selling the qualified kids who come in their office, and processing them for enlistment.

The Air Force is the go to branch of military for a lot of people who want the benefits of service without the bullshit generally associated with the military. Not saying that's who is in the Air Force but the nature of the service attracts those types. Recruiter man doesn't have a hard time finding people interested. He just has to screen those interested to find the qualified ones. Of those qualified, the ones who are the easiest to enlist are going to get his attention so he can make mission and go fishing.

Another branch of service is probably going to be hungrier to find qualified applicants. Go talk to the Navy or the Army. If you are a masochist, you could even try the Marine Corps.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Antignition posted:

If I don't want a 6-year enlistment, I have to state my case in person to the local flight officer, only the recruiter doesn't know when he can set up an appointment and has no idea if my "explanations" will suffice. Considering I have to keep calling this guy and reminding him of what the situation is it's pretty clear he doesn't give two shits about whether I enlist or not. I'd rather not get out at 30 and still not have a degree.

Is this 6 year bullshit thing nationwide now or what? I was looking into Intel and Cyberspace Support mostly and didn't see anything about a mandatory 6-year enlistment in any of the job descriptions in those fields.
Assuming you're applying for active duty, that sounds like complete bullshit and they're trying to put you through the ringer. I've never heard of anybody having to sign a mandatory 6 year minimum.

The selling point of a 6 year contract is that you'll get promoted to E-3 much quicker. However, the fact that you have a lot of college credits will trump that, and you'll have E-3 once you graduate basic. There's no extra incentive for you to sign an extra 2 years, other than it helps your recruiter's stats.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 15, 2012

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
I have no idea how USAF numbers work, but for Army there is no incentive for us to push a 6 year over a 3 year enlistment. An enlistment is an enlistment. Certain jobs in all branches won't have a 3 year enlistment, if the training is, for instance, a year. It's not effective. I'm sure Navy Nuke dudes have long rear end contracts.

If I get a chance, maybe I can talk to the USAF recruiter that works next to me. He is way cool and would give me his best guess on something like this. I can confirm that the server thing did happen. That dude was hardly doing poo poo while that was going on.

Redfont
Feb 9, 2010

Little Mac(kerel)
I had to sign a mandatory 6-year enlistment, but that's because my tech school is ~2 years. I don't know what your tech school is supposed to be like but apparently that's a real thing. I can't find anything specific, but the Air Force liaison made a point of showing me the update just so I knew he wasn't tricking me. it was unfortunate but I'm learning a language and getting a top secret clearance so hey

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I forgot the rule but if your training lasts longer than 15(?) months you have to enlist for 6 years. It's pretty much universal across all the services, at least as far as I remember.

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

Hekk posted:

Pick another branch of service?

The Air Force demand vs. open spots is pretty much exactly what I was figuring, and it's why I'm so worried about landing the 4 year contract deal.

I was considering the Navy as well but I've heard the living conditions suck if you wind up on a ship somewhere (which is pretty drat likely). Being stuck on a ship for 6 months at a time is kind of a turn-off. Honestly, if it was 6 years in Air Force vs. 4 in the Navy i'm still not sure which I would go with.

And no, I'm no marine.

shyduck posted:

The selling point of a 6 year contract is that you'll get promoted to E-3 much quicker. However, the fact that you have a lot of college credits will trump that, and you'll have E-3 once you graduate basic. There's no extra incentive for you to sign an extra 2 years, other than it helps your recruiter's stats.

I had talked to him about this. I like to think I have a pretty good way of spotting bullshit so when I brought him my college transcripts and he said "we don't need to go through the hassle of looking at those, you'll get the extra promotion with 6 years" I called him out on it. That was when we got into the 4 vs. 6 year debacle. Only the first time he said it was because the training school was too long for cyberspace support (I looked it up and it doesn't appear to be so at all). He said with 6 i get faster e-4 promotion by 6 months, better assignment priority, and I don't have to wait in the DEP as long. Basically either bullshit or trivial stuff.

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

If I get a chance, maybe I can talk to the USAF recruiter that works next to me. He is way cool and would give me his best guess on something like this. I can confirm that the server thing did happen. That dude was hardly doing poo poo while that was going on.

I would really appreciate that. It'd be nice to hear from someone who might not feed me lines of bullshit all the time.

And yeah, I figured as much about the system. After it was "fixed" I was there for an hour and a half one visit just to enter my name and address so I could sign some form. It was slow as poo poo.

Antignition fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 15, 2012

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Antignition posted:

The Air Force demand vs. open spots is pretty much exactly what I was figuring, and it's why I'm so worried about landing the 4 year contract deal.

I was considering the Navy as well but I've heard the living conditions suck if you wind up on a ship somewhere (which is pretty drat likely). Being stuck on a ship for 6 months at a time is kind of a turn-off. Honestly, if it was 6 years in Air Force vs. 4 in the Navy i'm still not sure which I would go with.

And no, I'm no marine.

I had talked to him about this. I like to think I have a pretty good way of spotting bullshit so when I brought him my college transcripts and he said "we don't need to go through the hassle of looking at those, you'll get the extra promotion with 6 years" I called him out on it. That was when we got into the 4 vs. 6 year debacle. Only the first time he said it was because the training school was too long for cyberspace support (I looked it up and it doesn't appear to be so at all). He said with 6 i get faster e-4 promotion by 6 months, better assignment priority, and I don't have to wait in the DEP as long. Basically either bullshit or trivial stuff.

I would really appreciate that. It'd be nice to hear from someone who might not feed me lines of bullshit all the time.

And yeah, I figured as much about the system. After it was "fixed" I was there for an hour and a half one visit just to enter my name and address so I could sign some form. It was slow as poo poo.

Do not sign 6 years. You have credits to get the extra stripe, there's literally no reason to do it. Most of the assholes that signed 6 years to hit e-4 faster are gonna bomb their test and not make e-5 for a while so you'll catch up with all of them unless you have a super hsld airman in your shop.
"Better assignment priority" is complete bullshit, and I'm pretty sure the DEP part is too. Don't let them gently caress you.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Antignition posted:

And no, I'm no marine.

You do not get any form of assignment priority. Everyone out of tech school is assigned by needs of the AF-- you fill out an assignment preference sure, but all of the career field managers will fully admit that it doesn't mean poo poo for your first assignment. The ammount of time you have to wait in DEP is dependent on training slots opening up which is not at all dependent on your enlistment length. With your college credits you absolutely should get to put on E-3 earlier, and thus E-4 earlier.

Do you know anyone in the AF that can go to the office with you and call him on his retarded bullshit?

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

Shimazu posted:

You do not get any form of assignment priority. Everyone out of tech school is assigned by needs of the AF-- you fill out an assignment preference sure, but all of the career field managers will fully admit that it doesn't mean poo poo for your first assignment. The ammount of time you have to wait in DEP is dependent on training slots opening up which is not at all dependent on your enlistment length. With your college credits you absolutely should get to put on E-3 earlier, and thus E-4 earlier.

Do you know anyone in the AF that can go to the office with you and call him on his retarded bullshit?

Unfortunately no. I'm hoping that after I take the ASVAB and get all my poo poo together he'll back down. Even though he's given a half assed effort he's been dealing with me for 4 months already so hopefully he'll take something over nothing.

And yeah, I'm aware everything he told me is a bunch of crap, the problem is he makes it sound like he isn't going to let me enlist at all unless I do the 6 years. I guess we'll find out. Maybe I will try another recruiter and go through this process AGAIN if I have to, but this is getting ridiculous.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Antignition posted:

Unfortunately no. I'm hoping that after I take the ASVAB and get all my poo poo together he'll back down. Even though he's given a half assed effort he's been dealing with me for 4 months already so hopefully he'll take something over nothing.

And yeah, I'm aware everything he told me is a bunch of crap, the problem is he makes it sound like he isn't going to let me enlist at all unless I do the 6 years. I guess we'll find out. Maybe I will try another recruiter and go through this process AGAIN if I have to, but this is getting ridiculous.

The Army used to do it totally differently, once you actually got into MEPS your recruiter stayed outside the liaison's office and had no input as to what you signed on for. The liaison couldn't tell you anything other than what was available, but what job you picked and how long you enlisted for was between them and you. I don't know if they still do it like that though, or if the AF has anything similar.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Didn't know that about the 6 year contracts for long training, good to know. I'm guessing you're still stuck at 6 even if you wash out early?

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I'm looking to enlist active duty in the army, angling for a 35Q but I have concerns about my medical history. I've been under treatment for depression on and off for about 5 or 6 years now. In 2007 I spend two weeks in a hospital out-patient program and have been on and off medication and therapy since then. Right now I'm on light medication and see a therapist a few times a month. I've never been suicidal, been committed or anything like that, have no other mood disorders or other mental problems.

When I talked to a recruiter today she was somewhat dubious that I would be accepted into 35Q or possibly any 35 MOS if I was completely honest with a medical history like that. I just said that since I'd need to get a security clearance, I would prefer to be as honest as possible. She also said the doctor who does medical screenings for recruits is a real hardass about his attrition rate so that might add another wrinkle.

I'm already pulling up medical records but how much of a problem would this be for me and how much do I need to or how much should I disclose?

Redfont
Feb 9, 2010

Little Mac(kerel)

shyduck posted:

Didn't know that about the 6 year contracts for long training, good to know. I'm guessing you're still stuck at 6 even if you wash out early?

I would imagine so, yes. All the instructors here in tech school take every opportunity to let us know that the Air Force has no problem throwing people out because of the drawdown, though. I would personally prefer early separation over being re-classed, especially if I had to keep my six-year contract instead of a four.

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

Vasudus posted:

The Army used to do it totally differently, once you actually got into MEPS your recruiter stayed outside the liaison's office and had no input as to what you signed on for. The liaison couldn't tell you anything other than what was available, but what job you picked and how long you enlisted for was between them and you. I don't know if they still do it like that though, or if the AF has anything similar.

From what I gather you sign a "blanket contract" at MEPs, honestly I'm not entirely sure what it entails, but you are supposed to sign a second contract with your recruiter before you ship out that supersedes it. It's that one that gives you your job and (I believe) length of service.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
Talked to the USAF recruiter. He has no reason to give a gently caress if you sign 4 or 6 or 100 years. If he is telling you 6 years, it's because the job requires that.

Vasudus posted:

That's how it worked when I signed up. Now, unless its very unusual circumstances, we recruiters pick the job with the applicant before they go enlist, and providing through the physical and all of that they remain qualified for it, it's what they'll get.

USAF on the other hand does some crazy poo poo and it boils down to wishing and praying for your job to open up while you are in the DEP. Same USAF recruiter says the average wait for a guy to ship after enlisting is 8-10 months.

Mr. Peepers posted:

I'm looking to enlist active duty in the army, angling for a 35Q but I have concerns about my medical history. I've been under treatment for depression on and off for about 5 or 6 years now. In 2007 I spend two weeks in a hospital out-patient program and have been on and off medication and therapy since then. Right now I'm on light medication and see a therapist a few times a month. I've never been suicidal, been committed or anything like that, have no other mood disorders or other mental problems.

When I talked to a recruiter today she was somewhat dubious that I would be accepted into 35Q or possibly any 35 MOS if I was completely honest with a medical history like that. I just said that since I'd need to get a security clearance, I would prefer to be as honest as possible. She also said the doctor who does medical screenings for recruits is a real hardass about his attrition rate so that might add another wrinkle.

I'm already pulling up medical records but how much of a problem would this be for me and how much do I need to or how much should I disclose?

What you describe about yourself is a BIG DEAL. As in, good luck even getting in as a cook, let alone a 35Q. Being on antidepressents is pretty much an instant DQ in almost all circumstances. By "almost all" I mean 99.9999999%

DEVILDOGOOORAH fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 16, 2012

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Mr. Peepers posted:

It's been five years since I did any recruiting for the Marine Corps but while I was on the streets anti-depressants were an automatic non-waiverable disqualifier. The services didn't specify the amount of medication or whether the applicant displayed any suicidal thoughts or acts.

Behind sexual assault, suicide in the military is the second biggest headline catching issue the services have. Even during the expansion of the Marine Corps from 187,000 to 202,000 no one would consider it. I know it was similar for the Army because if I couldn't work an applicant due to medications or mental health, the Army couldn't either.

So I doubt that if you are upfront and honest about the medicine and therapy that the recruiter will be able to put you in. If recruiter man tries to get you to hide those things, just remember that if you make it in, you aren't going to have access to your medication anymore. If you start to have any mental health issues, it will come out that it was an underlying condition when you came in and you will get kicked out and not be able to use any of the VA or Post 9/11 G.I. Bill benefits.

Redfont
Feb 9, 2010

Little Mac(kerel)

Hekk posted:

If you start to have any mental health issues, it will come out that it was an underlying condition when you came in and you will get kicked out and not be able to use any of the VA or Post 9/11 G.I. Bill benefits.

unless it's ADHD, apparently they're totally cool with that. They won't give me any drugs, though, that's a bummer.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

What if I had a prescription for an anti-depressant once for my ADD, but I only took it for a week or so and I hated it so I stopped? Also this was 5 years ago.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Internet Wizard posted:

What if I had a prescription for an anti-depressant once for my ADD, but I only took it for a week or so and I hated it so I stopped? Also this was 5 years ago.

quote:

It's been five years since I did any recruiting for the Marine Corps but while I was on the streets anti-depressants were an automatic non-waiverable disqualifier. The services didn't specify the amount of medication or whether the applicant displayed any suicidal thoughts or acts.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Internet Wizard posted:

This is the kind of thing that I wouldn't even bother bringing up.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Hekk posted:

Behind sexual assault, suicide in the military is the second biggest headline catching issue the services have. Even during the expansion of the Marine Corps from 187,000 to 202,000 no one would consider it. I know it was similar for the Army because if I couldn't work an applicant due to medications or mental health, the Army couldn't either.

So I doubt that if you are upfront and honest about the medicine and therapy that the recruiter will be able to put you in. If recruiter man tries to get you to hide those things, just remember that if you make it in, you aren't going to have access to your medication anymore. If you start to have any mental health issues, it will come out that it was an underlying condition when you came in and you will get kicked out and not be able to use any of the VA or Post 9/11 G.I. Bill benefits.

If I don't bring it up myself, would it be caught in a background check for a secret or top secret security clearance?

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

Talked to the USAF recruiter. He has no reason to give a gently caress if you sign 4 or 6 or 100 years. If he is telling you 6 years, it's because the job requires that.

I'll dig a little deeper and see if I can find out if these intel/cyberspace support jobs have different minimum length-of-service requirements, but my recruiter was definitely saying that they push all their applicants into 6 year terms regardless of MOS, and that they (the recruiters) are getting pressured to do this from higher up on the chain.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Mr. Peepers posted:

If I don't bring it up myself, would it be caught in a background check for a secret or top secret security clearance?

Probably not for secret. Very likely for a top secret. Listen man, I don't want you to take this the wrong way but if I were still recruiting, no matter how hard up I was for contracts, there is no way I would ever even consider putting you in. My whole purpose in life was to put people in but It's too risky and when you get caught it will be a shitstorm.

You'd have to stop any meds for at least a month before you even depped. Once you are in you have a huge secret you are hiding from everyone. If you ever have problems, your past records are going to come up.

It sounds like you are doing well with light meds and therapy. Don't throw that progress away on a bet that you will probably lose.

Bright Eyes
Sep 5, 2011
DEVILDOG, do you know how touch 35Q are to get? Do they just never pop up as open or did you mean because his antidepressants? I'm planning to do 35Q, but w/o antidepressants.

Redfont
Feb 9, 2010

Little Mac(kerel)
Apparently my wife was just verbally harassed by a staff sergeant. Is that whole 'being professional in uniform' thing just for tech school or should I let someone know about this?

VVVV idk, I thought 'don't be a huge jackass in ABUs' was a real thing

Redfont fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 17, 2012

calmasahinducow
Oct 31, 2004
i am a pirate of the high seas
Oh poo poo not verbal harassment.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

NCOs yelling at lower enlisted why I never! :wink:

But seriously, either she was being retarded/wrong or they were being a dick. There is an equal chance of one of these things being true here.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Redfont posted:

Apparently my wife was just verbally harassed by a staff sergeant. Is that whole 'being professional in uniform' thing just for tech school or should I let someone know about this?

VVVV idk, I thought 'don't be a huge jackass in ABUs' was a real thing

You're gonna have to be a lot more specific than 'verbal harassment' to be taken seriously. If it was a sexually degrading comment then you've probably got something. If it was racial slurs you probably have something unless the right backs have been scratched. If it was an NCO yelling at a junior enlisted and calling them a shitbag or something after they hosed up (for the very broad military definition of 'hosed up'), well, welcome to the military.

Redfont
Feb 9, 2010

Little Mac(kerel)
if she was enlisted I would tell her the same thing but it was just her recruiter throwing a fit. It's not even a particularly big deal, and in fact I will not inquire further about it.

As a completely unrelated question, do you lose your security clearance if you receive a general discharge from the military? E: I ask because like I mentioned earlier the instructors are always saying they love to kick people out left and right and I'm curious as to whether I'd be able to keep the clearance to find a job on the outside or not

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Bright Eyes posted:

DEVILDOG, do you know how touch 35Q are to get? Do they just never pop up as open or did you mean because his antidepressants? I'm planning to do 35Q, but w/o antidepressants.

It's just a rare to surface job. Much like firefighter it doesn't come up very often as an option of enlistees. It's not impossible and it's worth hanging on for if you're dead set.

The way it works at any given moment is the BIG ARMY post real time openings for training. When we look up jobs based on your AFQT and other variables, the available openings for the individual applicant show up. Of 150+ options in the army, the most I've ever seen for anyone, with a kid with a 95 on his ASVAB was 26 different jobs. 2 months ago I've seen guys with 90+ scores have 2-3 jobs available.

What I'm getting at is I can't say what will be an option for you, but if your recruiter comes at you with some poo poo that you don't like, it's honestly what is available at the moment. He is of course going to push you towards it because he wants a contract, but aside from that, there are no recruiter tricks. Sometimes you can call the ROC and get poo poo, but generally it is what you see is what you get. I strongly encourage my applicants to pick like 5+ MOS that they'd be happy with, and then try to find something similar.

tl;dr, if it doesnt come up, ask him to call the ROC "rock" and see what you can get. If it still doesnt come up, its genuinely not available and either hold out or look for something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Hekk posted:

Probably not for secret. Very likely for a top secret. Listen man, I don't want you to take this the wrong way but if I were still recruiting, no matter how hard up I was for contracts, there is no way I would ever even consider putting you in. My whole purpose in life was to put people in but It's too risky and when you get caught it will be a shitstorm.

You'd have to stop any meds for at least a month before you even depped. Once you are in you have a huge secret you are hiding from everyone. If you ever have problems, your past records are going to come up.

It sounds like you are doing well with light meds and therapy. Don't throw that progress away on a bet that you will probably lose.

This dude is 100% correct. I'll admit that I give dubious advice on the forums, but it really depends on the situation as far as enlistment. By Army reg, if you got ADD meds for acting like you were 12 when you were 12 you are disqualified. Personally I think it is an over prescribed bit of poo poo. I'll tell you here not to bring it up. If you are currently on meds, that's a big deal.

If you come to me and tell me to my face that you are on some poo poo I'm going to tell you that youre DQ'd because I'm not going to risk my career on a 19 year old kid. At the same time I've seen kids DQ'd because their parents thought they should go to counseling while they went through a divorce.

edit- "hekk" where did you recruit at, regionally?

DEVILDOGOOORAH fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 17, 2012

• Locked thread