Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

And while you use that team, play opponents who call assists out at extremely stupid times.

(Not that I have any room to talk.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

SilentD posted:

I loved strider in the other games but I've always found him completely uncontrollable in this game. I'm sure it's just a function of spending more time on it, but I always feel as if the character is just a bit faster than what it is I'm trying to do.

What's to control? Xfactor, Ouroboros, mash RDP + M and buttons.

Normal Strider isn't too fast but he does require a bit of finesse to keep his safe pressure working.

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

Dren posted:

What's to control? Xfactor, Ouroboros, mash RDP + M and buttons.

Normal Strider isn't too fast but he does require a bit of finesse to keep his safe pressure working.

It's all about the wall cling.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz5weJKp5q0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I really hope someone actually does this in a match.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
and people thought that move was useless

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

Nah I just saw a couple youtubes and thought he looked cool. I'm planning on dropping him though, I never really get anything done with him :smith:

Storm/Sentinel teams of yonder lore:

Storm/Sent/Cyclops (Matrix)

Storm/Sent/Commando (Sanford)

Storm/Sent/Tron (anybody with Tron assist works as tank likes to illustrate)

Storm/Sent/Doom (keepaway)

Cyclops would be the coolest bison replacement. You can do jab jab + cyclops assist, manually superjump into air series with either storm or sent and look like a pro.

Your Sent is clearly your best character though - you should try playing team clockwork. Sent on point does all the meter building and then you switch in strider and start hitting buttons.

The lovely thing is if Strider/Sent dies you have to play Dr. Doom and god help you if you try to footdive with him in MvC2 like it's Marvel 3 :D.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

You can still fly cancel :(.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Somebody did this on the Japanese stream last night to a Captain America. But it was just for trolling purposes.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

TY for the tips. I've been doing a little better with Bison so I might stick with him for a while. I'm pretty set on Sent/Cyke so other teams I've been throwing around are Storm/Sent/Cyke(obvi), Doom/Sent/Cyke, and Ruby Heart/Sent/Cyke as the comedy option.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

I'm in love and his name is Rocket! :3: New team and its probably the most fun I've had with the game since before summer. Now to commit his pressure strings to muscle memory and we'll really be in business.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Yesterday I learned that you can hit RR's regular traps with low normals in order to make them go away.

Ybrik, I noticed that you watched the Task/Skrull unblockable video. Are you supposed to be able to combo me even if I take the hit?

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

Dren posted:

Yesterday I learned that you can hit RR's regular traps with low normals in order to make them go away.

Ybrik, I noticed that you watched the Task/Skrull unblockable video. Are you supposed to be able to combo me even if I take the hit?

Yup, setup is quite good.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Dren posted:

I watched no such video. I've known tenderizer is a shittier cold star and applied what I learned from firebrand videos lol.

Edit: I should ask you why you're making the switch over to Nova. One night thing or did you learn something that you wanted to use?

Ybrik fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 19, 2012

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Here is the taskmaster vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhGjRFmdo1I

It makes your team EVEN BETTER.

I switched to Nova because I feel like he has better synergy with Sent/Dante. Nova can convert off of Jam Session more easily than Wolverine can and he has safer ways to call drones. Plus, he's roughly equal to Wolverine in terms of derp and he's got some nice options like air dash up then fly to escape zoning stuff while still being able to call an assist and the Human Rocket hyper.

I'm a ways away from realizing all that. I really need to work on my confirms, combos and set ups with Nova because I dropped a lot of combos on you and lost momentum when I had you in the corner. Also, I need to make sure I go into a TAC at the end of his combos because without Spencer I can't get Nova's damage above like 720k.

I also need to work on my Dante since he is clearly a fraud. The only times I beat you were when I got Sent/Jam Session rolling and kept the momentum.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Were you using Nova's basic fly lmhs or trying to do mmhs? Cause online its not really worth doing the latter. Other than that I'm not sure what advice to give cause I don't know what Nova can do about Task/Log other than slowly approach and hope I call him and do arrows at the same time for an easy c.m. Maybe preemptive Human rockets? But it would be hard to hit both of them unless I was sloppy.

Your Sentinel was your best character but you already know that. You know him better than I do so the only thing I'll ask about was why you so often chose to xfactor to kill the Raccoon when he was on point and anchor Skrull was coming up.

Dante I don't really remember outside of some acid rains, teleports, and jumping qcf.m's. Maybe you should play a Dante team where he's on point so you can get more practice in with him for a while and then go back to this team?

Thanks for the video and again Good Games :)

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
With Nova I was doing MHS MMH xx fly LMHS f+H, then I was trying to use either drones or jam session to extend the combo. Are you saying I should skip the fly part online?

I felt like I was having some success against you at the end by mashing f+H and Jam Session at the start of the round. Jam Session was consistently beating Log Trap and giving me a chance to open you up (not that I often did so). Once the round started I was really just having to pay attention to your zoning patterns so that I could get close enough to threaten you between log traps. Toward the end of the set I felt like I was only getting hit by log traps when I was being stupid. You called them fairly predictably plus Nova and Sent could both fly over them. If I'd thought of it I might've tried to hit RR with Human Rocket. Either way, I didn't feel helpless against your zoning. If I got in on you a bit I was able to call Jam Session to lock down Task and preempt your Log Trap call. The set left me thinking I really need to play more Nova and tighten up my confirms because I had a lot of chances to get you that I didn't convert.

With Sent I was killing RR with XF for a few reasons.
1) I hit you with the c.M xx Rocket Punch L frame trap a lot. The only way to kill out of that combo is to XF. In that situation you should either XFC through the c.M and kill Sent or not press buttons.
2) I respect RR in the RR/Sent matchup. Your RR isn't very threatening yet but I know he can get in on Sent and crush him with instant overheads.
3) It hardly takes any time to kill RR with XF2 Sentinel so I figured if I killed RR with XF there'd be plenty of XF left to kill Skrull if I hit him on incoming. If I wasn't killing your Skrull on incoming I wasn't going to kill him.

I know how to escape your resets now so if we play some more I think I could take your Skrull out.

I really wanted to land the Sent corner combo out of the L command grab but I never got the chance. I just found out you can link a s.M after the L command grab and get like 856k. The L command grab is 2 frames, it's badass.

You're right about Dante, I need to play him on point for a while to get him down. I'm going to learn Nova better first.

Dren fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 19, 2012

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Dren posted:

I know how to escape your resets now so if we play some more I think I could take your Skrull out.

I kept waitng for you to harddrive away but it never happened. You're doing the right combo with Nova but I don't know how you're dropping it. Its pretty consistant online so maybe lag or something else was the cause. I think the big thing was even when you got in with Nova you'd end your block strings with S or you waited too long after a c.m to hit c.h and then it was a free combo for me.

I'll be on later tonight so if you want to get in irc later and talk in between matches and stuff I'd be down.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Sade posted:

Team Nemo Spencer/Strange touch-of-death... from a throw?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyPnNPXQSXM

New vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qCqDS_5lK8

It's not the damage Dr. Strange does that impresses/scares me, it's the meter gain.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
NerdJosh was on Wakeup SRK earlier and mentioned that Doom's QCB super can unscale, and mentioned that Spencer combo into QCF super with late as possible DHC to Doom can get 1.3m with two levels because of it. He mentioned getting it to work with certain THCs with Doom too but didn't get time to say which.

Decided to try it out since I've been practicing Spencer/Magneto/Doom. Wasn't able to get 1.3m, but with five up grapples and two levels I was able to get 1.245m (993k before DHC). With the zip line loop and four up grapples I got 1.18m (917k before DHC), and with a DHC into Sphere Flame instead it came out to 1.10m.

I guess now the race will be on to figure out what causes the unscaling and if any other supers do it.

Pork Soda
Jan 22, 2004
Scissor Man

iPodschun posted:

NerdJosh was on Wakeup SRK earlier and mentioned that Doom's QCB super can unscale, and mentioned that Spencer combo into QCF super with late as possible DHC to Doom can get 1.3m with two levels because of it. He mentioned getting it to work with certain THCs with Doom too but didn't get time to say which.

Decided to try it out since I've been practicing Spencer/Magneto/Doom. Wasn't able to get 1.3m, but with five up grapples and two levels I was able to get 1.245m (993k before DHC). With the zip line loop and four up grapples I got 1.18m (917k before DHC), and with a DHC into Sphere Flame instead it came out to 1.10m.

I guess now the race will be on to figure out what causes the unscaling and if any other supers do it.

I've played a bunch of Spencer/Doom and as far as I know it doesn't cause the super to not scale. When DHCing from Bionic Maneuvers (wait slightly after the last hit) into Finger Lasers it positions the opponent's character perfectly such that BOTH sides of finger lasers super hits them at the same time so you get 100 hits instead of 50.

I've had similar stuff happen with Wesker's OTG being THC cancelled with Doom but it's less consistent.

The amount of hits you get seems to vary by character size though. Hulk/Sent will eat all 100 hits while Rocket Raccoon will get hit less. The damage it does is insane though for sure, especially if you get all of the hits.

Edit: The damage display is huge when you DHC into Doom but I am not sure if the damage is actually unscaled or if it is the way the game registers Doom's super as hitting with 5-10 hits at exactly the same time. It seems as if it is the way the game registers the damage but it's entirely possible that there is a specific timing NerdJosh knows about that causes the damage scaling to reset but I have not been able to reproduce it.

Pork Soda fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 21, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

The hits keep on comin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_5QTDZUjo4

Shivadas Glass
Dec 8, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Rokstar posted:

Bahahaha, not only is that Joe shocking pink assist infinite crazy impractical but it's apparently also P1 only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb5cFbJoVJs

It's not impractical at all. It's stupid easy

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Not sure if this is exactly "new" although in practical match application you usually only see it performed on airborne opponents as opposed to grounded opponents... never seen that xfc bit at the end though, that part may be new and pretty drat broken.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
What's the trick to doing Wolverine's fatal claw loop? I know you have to use either l or m uppercut and link another one after, but I cant seem to do it. Am I supposed to be mashing during the uppercut?

Boobs is Fun!
Jun 25, 2005

KaneBlueRiver
The Chilean Sensation
#1 Hulk/Haggar in the World
Nah you only wanna get one or two hits out, so they bounce to near the top of where the X will be. Mash during the super though.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
It depends on what assist you use to pop up the character after a knockdown but you generally want to use as many hits of the l uppercut (3 hits) and then immediately go into fatal claw. This becomes pretty important after the first rep since you need characters as high as possible to continue the loop. Some assists like vergil pop characters pretty high already so you only need to hit them once with the l uppercut before going into fatal claw on the first rep.

It's just a matter of investing time in training mode and getting the hang of buffering the uppercuts before you land.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
You can definitely get two fatal claws using the H tornado claw rather than L or M, not really sure if it adds extra difficulty but it does make you extra punishable if you whiff which is why everyone goes for the L on the second one at least.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I saw a nifty thing last night with a V. Joe cap team. Joe would corner them (literally in the corner), land an overhead S, combo into QCB Hyper for slow, then tag to Cap. The tag would combo and knock the opponent up, and Cap could repeatedly hit them with charging star in the corner until they died. He seriously got like 7 or 8 reps in before he had to hyper. That's a lot of free meter and unscaled (i think since you tag in?) damage and it's like a free kill for one hyper (2 if you start it on a high health target) on anyone with less than 1 million full health unless you X factor. Like I said though, your opponent has to be cornered, so it isn't free.

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009
New Doom combo from MarlinPie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3z1SVKQURA
my brain hurts. Holy poo poo

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

EndlessComboz also has a pretty neat video up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DErnSI3oeR0

Boobs is Fun!
Jun 25, 2005

KaneBlueRiver
The Chilean Sensation
#1 Hulk/Haggar in the World
Yeah let's play more H&H

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Boobs is Fun! posted:

Yeah let's play more H&H

Not like this game is getting any new content anytime soon. Might as well.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Not like this game is getting any new content anytime soon. Might as well.

Too bad we still can't play it locally and that's literally the only reason I don't make everyone in Philadelphia play H&H or a different game (I currently go for the latter).

edit: Yes I know you can go into training mode and reverse engineer it into versus mode but seriously gently caress that

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
El Gato runs an excellent MODOK, a Strange who's surprisingly good when he's not dying at the slightest hint of a combo, and a Doom who's there for the missiles and reckless jH footdives.

I hope to one day be this skillful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15asGVHFQyY

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I played a guy who used RR with spitfire assist last night. That assist might be slept on, it's a lot like drones except that RR is the exact opposite of a gigantic character that gets hit by everything when you call him.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Dren posted:

I played a guy who used RR with spitfire assist last night. That assist might be slept on, it's a lot like drones except that RR is the exact opposite of a gigantic character that gets hit by everything when you call him.

Do they go away if he gets hit?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

El Gato runs an excellent MODOK, a Strange who's surprisingly good when he's not dying at the slightest hint of a combo, and a Doom who's there for the missiles and reckless jH footdives.

I hope to one day be this skillful:

The guy he's fighting is really bad though.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Brosnan posted:

The guy he's fighting is really bad though.

I probably couldn't beat him, though.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Tonight :cmon:

Thursday November 29th 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

:spidey:PS3:spidey:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/y4aqmayjr7

:itjb:xbox:itjb:
Available upon request lol

Hopefully everyone had a pleasant thanksgiving, but if not its time to take that aggression out on goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
I keep forgetting about Thorsday, and Marvel in general. I'll try to remember tonight.

• Locked thread