Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

ChocNitty posted:

What Launch titles are you guys buying?

Day 1 (the 30th for us) for sure will just be NSMBU in addition to Nintyland packed in and depending on reviews, Sonic Racing.

Eventually Scribblenauts and CODBO2 If the port is fine.

If I didn't already have Tekken I'd grab that. The game is excelent.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Nov 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

ChocNitty posted:

Nintendo Land, Black Ops II and Mario. Good mix of multiplayer/single player and core gamer/casual.

Edit: This is just to begin with, there're a lot of other launch window titles I'm interested in. I'm also hell-bent on getting everything digitally, it's just my preference.

AngryCaterpillar fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Nov 17, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

ChocNitty posted:

ZombiU and I'm getting Nintendo Land with the Deluxe. That's about it until Monster Hunter in March!

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Nintendoland and NSMBU, I was going to get Scribblenauts as well, but the WiiU version is literally double the cost of the Steam version.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Nintendoland
NSMB
ZombiU

I feel kind of dumb buying Nintendoland to go with a standard console, but whatever. It was all I could find. :smith:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

LanceKing2200 posted:

Nintendoland and NSMBU, I was going to get Scribblenauts as well, but the WiiU version is literally double the cost of the Steam version.

Double the cost so you can make Mario fight Ganon and Link fight Bowser.

Plus Mario wielding the Master Sword.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Smuckles posted:

Nintendoland
NSMB
ZombiU

I feel kind of dumb buying Nintendoland to go with a standard console, but whatever. It was all I could find. :smith:

Don't worry, you're not alone.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Mario and Nintendoland (with my premium) because everything else is wasting money.

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wSG2BGe3_c

Looks like ZombiU is a piece of poo poo! Thank you based gamestop for leaking your videos and getting that guy in tons of trouble. You can still cancel your ZombiU preorders kids.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

kojicolnair posted:

Don't worry, you're not alone.

Yeah, I imagine not. The worst part is that it was possible to get Deluxe consoles until the 11th hour if you knew where to look (K-Mart had their website allowing their stock to be reserved for in-store pickup -- my brother did it and got an order confirmed). As I grow a little older (27) I have developed a pretty intense guilt surrounding purchases like this.

As such, I like to leverage trade-in's as much as possible. A never-used PS3 and a Wii became more than 2/3 the cost of a Wii U thanks to some GameStop trade promotions. By the time I did that, though, it was too late to pre-order. Luckily, the brother of a friend of mine is a manager at a local GameStop and didn't want his deluxe pre-order anymore (at all) and his co-worker didn't want her standard pre-order. She took his deluxe and I'm absorbing her standard one.

It was pretty lucky. I'll be picking up a Wii U on launch but essentially wasting $10 by buying Nintendoland with a standard console. Oh well.

To be honest, I like the white better and I have zero plans to make Wii U digital purchases. Virtual console, though, may be another story.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Oh man, tap the screen repeatedly to open a manhole or lift a bar on a door? Some of the ideas in ZombiU had potential (like the death system) but that combat looks terrible.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I like that the multiplayer is apparently the only good portion of the game, I played that at Gamescom with a friend and can confirm that it's a blast. Good for me, my friend is getting the ZombiU pack so we can play multiplayer but I won't have to buy the game myself.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Smuckles posted:

Yeah, I imagine not. The worst part is that it was possible to get Deluxe consoles until the 11th hour if you knew where to look (K-Mart had their website allowing their stock to be reserved for in-store pickup -- my brother did it and got an order confirmed). As I grow a little older (27) I have developed a pretty intense guilt surrounding purchases like this.

As such, I like to leverage trade-in's as much as possible. A never-used PS3 and a Wii became more than 2/3 the cost of a Wii U thanks to some GameStop trade promotions. By the time I did that, though, it was too late to pre-order. Luckily, the brother of a friend of mine is a manager at a local GameStop and didn't want his deluxe pre-order anymore (at all) and his co-worker didn't want her standard pre-order. She took his deluxe and I'm absorbing her standard one.

It was pretty lucky. I'll be picking up a Wii U on launch but essentially wasting $10 by buying Nintendoland with a standard console. Oh well.

To be honest, I like the white better and I have zero plans to make Wii U digital purchases. Virtual console, though, may be another story.

Yeah I've been pretty much feeling the same way. I know I won't be buying much on the eshop but I still feel kind of annoyed that I couldn't find a deluxe one. Plus I have to wait until mine gets here which right now looks to be Wednesday.

Might have to rethink my ZombiU purchase because he did make that game sound pretty boring. Still not sure though.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Isn't that like the only review so far that has not been praising ZombiU endlessly?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

HarveyVdarski posted:

Looks like ZombiU is a piece of poo poo! Thank you based gamestop for leaking your videos and getting that guy in tons of trouble. You can still cancel your ZombiU preorders kids.

Looks like ZombiU is this console's "Red Steel"

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

ChocNitty posted:

New Super Mario Bros. U
ZombiiU
Nintendo Land

Any other game I'm doing a wait and see or I'd rather play on PC.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 17, 2012

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

ChocNitty posted:

I got Mario, for starters, already shipped. I had a difficult time deciding between that in Rayman, but the more I hear about Mario, the more I think I made the right decision. That, and Rayman getting delayed until next year... (Got the Deluxe, so I'll also have Nintendoland, of course).

I was also thinking of picking up ZombiU, maybe along with Rayman if there are some by one, get one half off deals, or something.

I don't really like gory games, but I thought I could handle placing zombies and traps while my husband plays. I'll wait and see what people here think of ZombiU. Rayman might be the only other "launch" game I'll get.

I've been padding out my Wii collection, too. I just have DKCR to scrounge up.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

HarveyVdarski posted:

Sounds more like this guy wanted to play a straight up action game like CoD Zombies and got a game with survival horror elements and didn't like it. I'm not convinced the game is bad, not yet anyway.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

El Generico posted:

Sounds more like this guy wanted to play a straight up action game like CoD Zombies and got a game with survival horror elements and didn't like it. I'm not convinced the game is bad, not yet anyway.

It's a good idea to have multiple opinions, but I didn't get that impression. He said the gunplay was decent while the melee was extremely one dimensional and protracted. It looked like there that aspect of the game involves repeating the same attack again and again.

To be fair, in the video it didn't look like the player was moving around much. I'll be curious to see if circling around enemies makes a difference or if standing still and playing whack-a-mole has no downside.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I can't watch the review right now but does he mention whether or not the game has iron sight aiming for the guns? Seriously I feel like I shouldn't have to ask but every single gameplay clip either has hip fire or GamePad scope stuff.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I almost wonder if that was some kind of parody review or something. It's not even similar to this game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jzFdPUAaso

Maybe we can pad this bad news with some more. It looks like the Wii U doesn't get a free warranty extension:
https://club.nintendo.com/link-shop-account.do

Macintosh HD fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 17, 2012

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Smuckles posted:

I almost wonder if that was some kind of parody review or something. It's not even similar to this game:

Maybe we can pad this bad news with some more. It looks like the Wii U doesn't get a free warranty extension:
https://club.nintendo.com/link-shop-account.do

Too bad, Hopefully nothing goes wrong I guess.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ChocNitty posted:

New Super Mario Bros U
Nintendo Land

Got a bit of money down on Pikmin 3 and Rayman as well, and hoping to get the Wonderful 101 too because I love you platinum, you crazy diamonds.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

bluegoon posted:

OK, so, the WiiU has some games lined up for launch, but how long would something totally crazy like smash brothers, Zelda, a new 3D Mario, or Starfox traditionally take to appear? The only title currently on the launch lineup I'm even remotely interested in is the ZombiU game. But I'm a sucker for big Nintendo AAA 1st party games.

Usually there's been a big first-party title within a few months of release. I think they're staying quiet on release dates until after launch so people don't hold off waiting until (game X) is out.

My Deluxe Wii U shipped last night at 11pm apparently, which means it's going to get here Monday. Not as exciting as camping out all night like I did for my Wii, but not nearly as cold either.

As for games, obviously Nintendo Land is packed in, I'll download NSMBU, and I'm still waiting on more reviews before committing to ZombiU. Will likely get Trine 2 and Little Inferno from the eShop as well, and I may grab Batman, Darksiders, Assassin's Creed, and/or Mass Effect once I'm through with launch games to get a taste of this generation of gaming outside of Nintendo monogamy.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 17, 2012

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

It's a good idea to have multiple opinions, but I didn't get that impression. He said the gunplay was decent while the melee was extremely one dimensional and protracted. It looked like there that aspect of the game involves repeating the same attack again and again.

To be fair, in the video it didn't look like the player was moving around much. I'll be curious to see if circling around enemies makes a difference or if standing still and playing whack-a-mole has no downside.

What I got from it was that the game can be fun, but because it's so punishing and resources are scarce it leads to really slow monotonous gameplay since the safest way to take out zombies is one at a time with your bat.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

How large do you think the Day 1 update will be? Did the Wii have an average size? PS3 updates seem to be about 75MB +/- so I hope it's not too nuts.

I live in rural Canada so you can guess how awesome my internet is. :(

With regards to games I pre-ordered with the deluxe: NSMBU and ZombiU. If ZombiU ends up sucking I'll probably trade it in for something like Scribblenauts.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Super Mario U
Nintendo Land
Zombi U
Assassassin's AssCreed 3
Sonic and All stars Sega Mega Racing Transformers edition

Probably Neo Assault Nano

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I just hope that there will be demos of games. I really wanted to get Zombie U but am thinking twice now. I'd really like to see how it plays now before I buy it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm waiting on the Giant Bomb QL (and impressions) on ZombiU before considering buying it. In the meantime I am getting Nintendo Land, Assassin Creed 3, New Super Mario Bros Wii U, and Trine 2.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I'm getting NSMBU and ZombiU with my Deluxe Bundle that comes with NintendoLand. I will be set for months.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
NSMBU
Nintendo Land (pack-in with the Deluxe)
Rayman Legends
The Wonderful 101
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Pikmin 3
Sonic and All Stars Racing: Transformed
ZombiU (if the reviews turn out good)

Is there a list anywhere of the day-one eShop offerings?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

edit: /\If you didn't know, Wonderful 101 and Pikmin3 aren't launch titles./\

After watching the Gametrailers live thing I really want a white Wii U with all the premium features because their black console and controllers were totally covered in scratches and scuffs. It was from four days of schlepping back and forth between home and office, but I don't think that thing'll stay pretty for anyone.
Apparently the plastic isn't the most durable.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

HarveyVdarski posted:

I'm not going to take one review at its word because if I listed to professional game reviewers I wouldn't buy 90% of the games I love and would waste a lot of money on games I hate. That said, the review did raise a lot of red flags for me on things that I wouldn't enjoy; I thought ZombiU was going to be a lot less combat intensive and focus more on the survival aspects.

There's no harm in yanking my preorder. I doubt that there's going to be a game shortage for any launch titles so I'll be able to pick it up in a few days if the buzz is good when it gets into people's hands.

Aeros Wilhelm
Sep 2, 2011

I'm getting NSMBU and AC3 with my premium (meaning Nintendoland as well).

I also want to buy a bunch of wii games that I didn't have the chance to get since I skipped it; I'm thinking Skyward Sword (maybe) and Endless Ocean Blue World (Zorak's LP in the LP Forums really makes me want this), any other suggestions? I'm thinking the Kirby collection game as well.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Rayman Legends
The Wonderful 101
Pikmin 3

Good luck with those.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Katana Gomai posted:

Good luck with those.

Well, launch window, so close enough.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Aeros Wilhelm posted:

I'm getting NSMBU and AC3 with my premium (meaning Nintendoland as well).

I also want to buy a bunch of wii games that I didn't have the chance to get since I skipped it; I'm thinking Skyward Sword (maybe) and Endless Ocean Blue World (Zorak's LP in the LP Forums really makes me want this), any other suggestions? I'm thinking the Kirby collection game as well.

Mario Galaxy 1&2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Xenoblade, Muramasa, Sin & Punishment 2, Mario Kart(if you don't have 7), Wario Ware, Metroid Prime 3/Collection, Excitebots, A Boy And His Blob, Wario Land Shake It, Punch-Out, Sonic Colors, etc, etc...
What sort of games are you looking for?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 17, 2012

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

HarveyVdarski posted:

Smuckles posted:

Thats quite a contrast of how the game was made to be played, and how the reviewer played it. There have been a lot of Dark Souls comparisons and that means one thing for sure, this game is not for everyone.

Hell I dont even know if its for me! So Im going to give it a rent first.

I know its not quite kosher to say somebody played a game wrong and thats why they didnt like it. But it looks like the reviewer did just that. He said the guns work great when you get them but they are scarce. Thats the point I thought. Its a good thing that they are worth it when you do find some! Another complaint was that the 'run and gun' multiplayer was great and why isnt the singleplayer like that? I wonder if he wanted an all approaches game where you can run and gun or stealth or whatever and there's a viable path for you. Again not what this game is.

In the end as opposed to playing the game like the second video, the reviewer figures out a kiting tactic and does that nonstop with the starting weapon. If your kiting everyone of course it will get repetitive.

Now I'm just being contrary because I want it to be good and everyone everywhere so far has said the game is awesome in previews and I will be pissed if that was all lip service. We new from the start this was a 'hardcore' game not for everyone, but wanting to come at it with 'run and gun' style isnt the way to enjoy a plodding horror game dammit.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Will Amazon have this on sale at 12am PST? Is it even worth it to try to snag one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well, launch window, so close enough.

In my opinion, "launch window" ends Christmas at the latest; dragging it out until the end of Q1/13 is marketing bullshit. Plus, speaking from a European perspective, Wonderful 101 won't even make that, and I'd be genuinely surprised if Pikmin 3 doesn't get pushed back until Q3. Rayman seems like the only quality game that will actually be out in the foreseeable future after launch.

• Locked thread