Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Meet August:

He is definitely a long-hair daschund but there is some other ingredients in the mix. His tail curls up so maybe something along the lines of Pomeranian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011
It depends on the tail curl. For example,

That's a poodle tail. I think of Pom tails as lying flat on their backs or close to it. Whatever he is, he's adorable.

Rhadamanthus
Dec 12, 2004

I roll a lotta sushi, roll 'em fat like John Belushi; call me Desi Arnaz, dogg, I love the Lucy.
I see cocker spaniel, but that's just me.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

tehschulman posted:

Meet August:

He is definitely a long-hair daschund but there is some other ingredients in the mix. His tail curls up so maybe something along the lines of Pomeranian?

It's hard to say without body shots and approximate height/weight. Maybe doxie x papillon?

Lovecraftian
Nov 17, 2012
This is my dog Gizmo. We were told that she was a JRT x Chi but I think that's ridiculous- especially as she's grown and she comes up to my knee now.

What do you guys think? :)

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Lovecraftian posted:

This is my dog Gizmo. We were told that she was a JRT x Chi but I think that's ridiculous- especially as she's grown and she comes up to my knee now.

What do you guys think? :)

Going out of left field here, but maybe Cavalier King Charles x Beagle.

E: the ears aren't quite right for that combination, but there's something about her that makes me think cav - sheltie/cav?

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 17, 2012

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Dogdoo 8 posted:

It depends on the tail curl. For example,

That's a poodle tail. I think of Pom tails as lying flat on their backs or close to it. Whatever he is, he's adorable.

You'd be right in an ideal world, but a sickle tail is as variable as any other, and sometimes lays on the back, sometimes not. Poms of all different breedings can exhibit weird tails, so it's not unheard of.

That being said, I see mostly dachshund/chi. Chi tails can actually have a perfect sickle.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011
You don't understand. I have a poodle mix so now every dog is a poodle mix :downs:.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

My god, it's full of doodles

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Dogdoo 8 posted:

You don't understand. I have a poodle mix so now every dog is a poodle mix :downs:.

To be fair, there are a poo poo-ton of poodle mutts out there, so calling everything with a curly/wavy/coarse coat and slim build a poodle mix is a high-probability guess.

I just don't see much of a poodle coat in this one.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Captain Foxy posted:

You'd be right in an ideal world, but a sickle tail is as variable as any other, and sometimes lays on the back, sometimes not. Poms of all different breedings can exhibit weird tails, so it's not unheard of.

That being said, I see mostly dachshund/chi. Chi tails can actually have a perfect sickle.

Our friend's chi Jack has a sickle tail, and though he came out of rather meh breeding, he is a purebred chihuahua.

Although if I saw him in a shelter I'd think he was a Papillon mix.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

RazorBunny posted:

Our friend's chi Jack has a sickle tail, and though he came out of rather meh breeding, he is a purebred chihuahua.

Although if I saw him in a shelter I'd think he was a Papillon mix.

I know I've posted him here before, but this is my friend's dog, Che, who is a purebred chi.

Chihuahuas are as varied as labs nowadays, and it leads to some pretty :psyduck: purebreds. See that ball in Che's mouth? He lives for outdoor activities and loves to catch a frisbee, plus he's a sweetheart to all strangers, including kids, loves bigger dogs, and is basically the anti-chihuahua. He's why I always tell people that they can't tell a chi by the stereotypical ankle-biting personality, because I've met tons of other chis who were just like him in terms of awesomeness.

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 17, 2012

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Jack looks very similar. I don't have any better pictures of him.

He's being menaced by a friend in a Dexter costume here, btw.

Jack is actually a very drivey little dog, it's impressive. He really badly wants to kill my rats when he comes over, but he can't get to them, so he satisfies himself by eating their poop. And he's very friendly and cuddly, if a little licky. The cutest thing he does is load up in his carrier - you can hold it several feet off the ground and he'll launch himself into it. He loves his carrier. He'll also find similar sized bags on the floor and dig everything out of them so he can climb in, which can be a problem.

He also has NO undercoat. At all. Which means he's very soft, and doesn't give me too many allergy problems, but he also gets cold super easily and if he gets at all wet he's instantly soaked to the skin.

I laugh at his crooked little face all the time. We all used to hate him, but after he got neutered he's become a much nicer dog and has started worming his way into our hearts.

Husker has a stuffed toy cauliflower that Jack just thinks is the best thing ever, and he'll carry it around while he's visiting. :3:

GnuUzir
Oct 16, 2009
Good old american brown dog is what I called Brock before the wife sent of for the wisdom panel, but here is the tiny pup we brought home

Meeting his first friend

So angry

Learning the ropes

Knowing when you have gone to far

Left him alone for 2 minutes and he found the biggest mud puddle to play in, then the wife made him pose in his shame

Playing rope with friend Ellie

Now all grown he is a bashful dog

and not spoiled at all...

So apparently he is Maltese on one side and Miniature Bull Terrier / Redbone Coonhound on the other. I do not know if that is accurate or not, but reading the traits from the terrier and hound I can see him. Maltese, not so sure. He does act like a princess though.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Uh, that looks like a pit mix to me.

GnuUzir
Oct 16, 2009
That is what we were told to begin with, but the DNA came back with those results. Either they were wrong or he just combines breeds to look like this :iiam:

edit: I can spell

GnuUzir fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 17, 2012

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Captain Foxy posted:

I know I've posted him here before, but this is my friend's dog, Che, who is a purebred chi.

Chihuahuas are as varied as labs nowadays, and it leads to some pretty :psyduck: purebreds. See that ball in Che's mouth? He lives for outdoor activities and loves to catch a frisbee, plus he's a sweetheart to all strangers, including kids, loves bigger dogs, and is basically the anti-chihuahua. He's why I always tell people that they can't tell a chi by the stereotypical ankle-biting personality, because I've met tons of other chis who were just like him in terms of awesomeness.

He looks like a lot of the Chihuahuas I see playing flyball. They're not super popular in the sport, but there are a few running around as height dogs. People love to watch them run. :3:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

GnuUzir posted:

That is what we were told to begin with, but the DNA came back with those results. Either they or wrong or or he just combines breeds to look like this :iiam:

Yeah, those DNA tests are generally pretty bunk. He's kinda pitty looking, but there could very well be some Bull Terrier mixed up in there.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I have seen a DNA test result for a purebred Beauceron (with ten generations of documented pedigree) say that it was an ACD x Great Dane x Maltese, and for my friend's purebred Dachshund it came back Maltese x Chihuahua. Maltese actually seems like a popular result for those. :psyduck:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Captain Foxy posted:

I have seen a DNA test result for a purebred Beauceron (with ten generations of documented pedigree) say that it was an ACD x Great Dane x Maltese, and for my friend's purebred Dachshund it came back Maltese x Chihuahua. Maltese actually seems like a popular result for those. :psyduck:

For about the seven hundredth time, the DNA tests are not going to be accurate on a purebred dog, because the entire premise of the algorithm behind them is meant to separate out discrete groups of markers that are similar to patterns seen in breeds. Literally by their very nature, they MUST break the markers obtained down into at least two categories. They have absolutely no way of coming up with a purebred dog in their results.

edit: and yes, that's assuming it was one of the kits meant to test mixed breed dogs for breed ancestry

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 18, 2012

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
If it was the test for mixed breeds and not purebreds, they're not designed to detect purebreds and therefore won't give an accurate result. I'm not wording/explaining it too well, but that's the gist of it. That isn't to say some DNA tests aren't off, sure, but some people have had some pretty good results with them.

e: beaten

Terboh
Mar 30, 2005
This is Gypsy! When we picked her up, the girl said she was collie/shepherd. Our best guess is border collie and german shepherd, but it's kinda hard to tell. We "rescued" her at about 6 months old over craigslist, from a somewhat negligent parent.

Kinda crappy photo, but this is what we missed out on when she was a puppy

Shortly after we got her home!

We tried kennel training, until she almost broke her nose trying to escape when we were out, and also did this. She used to have pretty bad separation anxiety. :(

About a year and a half old:

Not sure if this expression is liking or disliking being wet...

She goes apeshit in the snow.

She's taking "sit pretty" a little bit too far.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

I'm seeing more Aussie than Border Collie. However, I tend to see Aussie in everything so.... whelp.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

a life less posted:

I'm seeing more Aussie than Border Collie. However, I tend to see Aussie in everything so.... whelp.

I saw that too.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Posting our dog, Rocco, just out of plain curiosity. We got him at 3 weeks old, and were told he was a Rottweiler. He grew up fuzzy with short legs and a curly tail. A groomer told us Australian Shepard, so that is the best we have to go on. Regardless, he is drat good dog, and those mutt genes are doing him well.

Some pictures

This is the closest to a full body shot I could get (he is very active)

More can be provided for help if needed. As I said, this is purely for curiosity, he is such a good dog, I just want to have something more definite to say when people ask "what kind of dog is he?"

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

lokipunk posted:

More can be provided for help if needed. As I said, this is purely for curiosity, he is such a good dog, I just want to have something more definite to say when people ask "what kind of dog is he?"

I'd go with mostly Aussie, maybe mixed with something stumpy depending how ridiculously short he is (I can't quite tell when he's curled up). Black and tan with no white isn't a common color, but it is allowed.

Take a look at this page, most of the way down: http://www.ashgi.org/color/black_aussies.htm

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

Engineer Lenk posted:

I'd go with mostly Aussie, maybe mixed with something stumpy depending how ridiculously short he is (I can't quite tell when he's curled up). Black and tan with no white isn't a common color, but it is allowed.

Take a look at this page, most of the way down: http://www.ashgi.org/color/black_aussies.htm

He has very short legs, and some white on his bib. Id try to get one of him standing, but he gets weird when I stand over him with a camera.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

lokipunk posted:

He has very short legs, and some white on his bib. Id try to get one of him standing, but he gets weird when I stand over him with a camera.

My guess is he's a mix of some sort, but a lot of poorly bred Aussies are way short on leg.

velcro and proud
Mar 31, 2005

I love baseball, apple pie...and your mom.

This Rogue. She's rather appropriately named for a girl that can punch tanks in half.

She's all brindly from nose to tail. She's 92 lbs of love and pillow-whoring.

She loves every single human ever. (Most other dogs not so much.) She likes us so much she sits like us.

She loves my step-daughter the most. This is them holding handsies.

The vet threw up his hands the last time she was in. There's some hound for sure. A little bullmastiff? Couple of dashes of pitty? She's tall and leggy. I'm 6'1"" and when she stands on her hind legs she can give me kisses if I lean my face down just a bit. Also, she may be part stegosaurus or ankylosaurus because her rear end can flat out knock poo poo over.

What the hell is she? Besides a complete love machine?

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

a life less posted:

My guess is he's a mix of some sort, but a lot of poorly bred Aussies are way short on leg.

Good enough, he was a rescue, and really my first dog. He is also super strong for his size. Thanks for the help though.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
This is my dog Pandora. We got her from a shelter about 18 months ago and love her to bits, but we have no idea what she is exactly. She was listed as "Sharpei cross" which seems sensible enough, but we've always wondered what she's crossed with.

Here she is melting:

She can do killer puppy-dog-eyes:

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

The last two dogs posted look just like pit mixes to me

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
This is Faith, just adopted her :) She's part lab and part something else...does anyone have an idea? She's two years old and only 45-50 lbs

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...
She is adorbs! Does she have a tiny body or are those some long-rear end legs on her?

The shelter I used to volunteer at would get in Rhodesian ridgeback (or looked like it) mutts a lot. Does she have any interesting fur along her back?

Sutureself fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 18, 2012

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Roargasm posted:

This is Faith, just adopted her :) She's part lab and part something else...does anyone have an idea? She's two years old and only 45-50 lbs

Maybe something houndy? I can sorta see hound in there.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
The first dog I've had four around 5 years, and her name is Macy. We were told she was probably 1 year old when we got her, but she doubled in size since we got her so she was probably a bit younger. We got her from the pound and they had just as much a clue as we did to what she is. We had a friend tell us she looked like a Schipperke, but that's the best we got.

When her hair gets longer she gets spindly hairs on her ears and feet, but she just got groomed not too long ago.

The second dog isn't mine, he belongs to a relative. We don't know anything about him, they just found him in the forest one day so they named him forest.

(these are horrible pictures but this dog just wouldn't stop moving!)

He has a ridge on his back but he was far too interested in what I was holding and I couldn't get any other angles on him. Neither dog is very photogenic, they move too much so I don't really have any other pictures. We've never had any idea as to what they are (sometimes I think Macy's secretly a cat) so I was just posting to see if anyone had a clue.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Terboh posted:

This is Gypsy! When we picked her up, the girl said she was collie/shepherd. Our best guess is border collie and german shepherd, but it's kinda hard to tell. We "rescued" her at about 6 months old over craigslist, from a somewhat negligent parent.

Kinda crappy photo, but this is what we missed out on when she was a puppy

Shortly after we got her home!

We tried kennel training, until she almost broke her nose trying to escape when we were out, and also did this. She used to have pretty bad separation anxiety. :(

About a year and a half old:

Not sure if this expression is liking or disliking being wet...

She goes apeshit in the snow.

She's taking "sit pretty" a little bit too far.

Hey, late to the party but holy poo poo your dog is adorable and awesome

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Veev posted:

The second dog isn't mine, he belongs to a relative. We don't know anything about him, they just found him in the forest one day so they named him forest.

He has a ridge on his back but he was far too interested in what I was holding and I couldn't get any other angles on him. Neither dog is very photogenic, they move too much so I don't really have any other pictures. We've never had any idea as to what they are (sometimes I think Macy's secretly a cat) so I was just posting to see if anyone had a clue.

Hard to tell without a decent full-body view but he looks like some kind of ridiculous dachshund mix :3:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Veev posted:

I'm seeing pug in the face and ears, and also those ridiculous turned-out feets. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Gnack posted:

This is my dog Pandora. We got her from a shelter about 18 months ago and love her to bits, but we have no idea what she is exactly. She was listed as "Sharpei cross" which seems sensible enough, but we've always wondered what she's crossed with.

Here she is melting:

She can do killer puppy-dog-eyes:

Probably pit. She's cute as heck, too, look at those little hinhok ears :3: