Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Volkerball posted:

Isn't Rand gaining steam in the Republican party though? He endorsed Romney, but he also criticized him a bit too. He might be more politically viable if he just stays the current course. Might be able to draw in some libertarian nepotism votes as well. I could see the libertarian party moving forward with Gary Johnson or a new guy, and just making sure the nominee pays enough lip service to the great L. Ron Paul Hubbard.

From what I understand, the old line GOP establishment thinks that Rand Paul is an idiot and symptomatic of whats going wrong.

I could be wrong though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I think its a bit too early to tell what the GOP will do with Rand. But I don't find it too hard to believe they'll do something similar like with his father. Let him be in the Senate forever and do his own thing as long as he's still caucusing with them and will support their majority leader and whatnot. It certainly helps that Rand Paul has at least seemed to work more closely with the Senate GOP has in the last two years compared to how much Ron didn't work with the House GOP over...two decades?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Buffalo News has endorsed Hillary Clinton for President in 2016.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

It will be interesting to see when the GOP starts demonizing Clinton as she doesn't matter to them anymore. I'm guessing it will ramp up soon over Libya.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mitt Romney posted:

It will be interesting to see when the GOP starts demonizing Clinton as she doesn't matter to them anymore. I'm guessing it will ramp up soon over Libya.

VINCE FOSTER MATTERS! I'm tired of liberals forgetting the past and erasing it the same way Stalin did!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

My interpretation of 2012 was not so much that the "serious" GOP candidates (Christie, Jeb, Daniels) got out of the way for Mitt because it was his turn or thought he couldn't be beat, as much as they made an assessment that Obama was going to be a tough out, and stayed out accordingly.

My read on Rick Perry was that he made the same calculation, but then at the height of the debt showdown fiasco, where Obama looked his worst (in my opinion), he suddenly looked very beatable and this caused Perry to reassess and jump in. Now who knows whether he would have been any better as a candidate with more preparation - I have my doubts because he really seemed to reveal that he is a total imbecile - but either way I suspect he's ruined his brand forever for the Presidency, his humiliation was just to thorough. After this election the idea of putting a "Southern" (Texas counts) rootin-tootin cowboy type atop the ticket is dubious at best, but with his performance in this primary it's a complete nonstarter.

I kind of weep for Huntsman because I think he made kind of good moves but then made a terrible decision by running this time, before the wingnut theory of GOP politics had been refuted, that has ended his Presidential ambitions. I don't know if he could have won the 2016 primaries (after a Romney loss there might have been a "not ANOTHER Mormon" thing), but his chances would certainly have been a lot better than this time.

As far as Biden vs. Clinton, I suspect Clinton would just get a lot more support by default and I think Biden is just too old whereas Clinton is just borderline too old. I'm hoping that the Biden or Clinton issue works itself out in private beforehand because I think Obama owes Clinton a ton of support in 2016 should she run, and it would be very difficult if he had to publicly choose between his running mate and Clinton in a primary.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Zwabu posted:

As far as Biden vs. Clinton, I suspect Clinton would just get a lot more support by default and I think Biden is just too old whereas Clinton is just borderline too old. I'm hoping that the Biden or Clinton issue works itself out in private beforehand because I think Obama owes Clinton a ton of support in 2016 should she run, and it would be very difficult if he had to publicly choose between his running mate and Clinton in a primary.

I don't think it will ever come down to Clinton vs. Biden in the primary, but it would be very easy for Obama to say "they're both great candidates and I'll leave it to our voters to decide." His ability to support either in the general is obviously going to depend on what's happening in the world four years from now, and whether he's got the interest or the drive to campaign again. Beyond Obama and the Clintons, there's nobody in the Democratic Party right now who can raise such obscene levels of money.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zwabu posted:

I kind of weep for Huntsman because I think he made kind of good moves but then made a terrible decision by running this time, before the wingnut theory of GOP politics had been refuted, that has ended his Presidential ambitions. I don't know if he could have won the 2016 primaries (after a Romney loss there might have been a "not ANOTHER Mormon" thing), but his chances would certainly have been a lot better than this time.

As long as he thinks seemingly randomly speaking in Chinese durring a Republican debate is a good idea, he doesn't have a chance at the presidency.

quote:

Obama isn't going to endorse anyone in the Primary. The only reason Bill even got into it was because Hillary was running. Other than that, Presidents pretty much keep mute durring the primary beyond broad strokes of how much they like the field.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Gyges posted:

Obama isn't going to endorse anyone in the Primary. The only reason Bill even got into it was because Hillary was running. Other than that, Presidents pretty much keep mute durring the primary beyond broad strokes of how much they like the field.
It's not common but it's not totally unheard of. Clinton endorsed Gore in the 2000 primary, such as it was. Truman endorsed Stevenson, basically dragged him in, in 1952. And then turned on him and endorsed Harriman at the convention in 1956. Eisenhower endorsed Nixon after New Hampshire in 1960, and after the primaries but before the convention in 1968.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
"[Nelson Rockefeller's withdrawl] does give a certain atmosphere of no competition.... The only thing I know about the Presidency the next time is this - I can't run." ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower, January 14, 1960.

"Q. Mr. Mohr: We understand that the power of decision is entirely yours, Mr. President. I just wondered if you could give us an example of a major idea of [Nixon's] that you had adopted in that role, as the decider and final–

THE PRESIDENT. If you give me a week, I might think of one. I don’t remember." ~ August 24, 1960.

They were such good buddies :allears:

DonT15
Oct 31, 2010

Tell me what I don't know about Jeb Bush.

If you ask me, he would be - by far - the GOP's #1 choice for their nominee and also the scariest opponent for a Democrat in the general.

As we all know, when it comes to picking a nominee, most Republicans won't choose a candidate based on ideology, religion, etc. (Romney is a Mormon, for crying out loud...)

Their sole motivation is to pick the nominee that has the best chance of beating the Democrat candidate. And in 2016, it will have been over 30 years since a Republican not named Bush has won a presidential election... I think Jeb would have the nomination for 2016 if he wanted it, no contest.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

DonT15 posted:

If you ask me, he would be - by far - the GOP's #1 choice for their nominee and also the scariest opponent for a Democrat in the general.

As we all know, when it comes to picking a nominee, most Republicans won't choose a candidate based on ideology, religion, etc. (Romney is a Mormon, for crying out loud...)

Their sole motivation is to pick the nominee that has the best chance of beating the Democrat candidate. And in 2016, it will have been over 30 years since a Republican not named Bush has won a presidential election... I think Jeb would have the nomination for 2016 if he wanted it, no contest.

His being the brother of the man by far regarded as the worst president in recent memory is far more of a liability than the idea that "those Bushes are the ones who know how to win the White House for the GOP".

Americans, even many Republicans, are resistant to the idea that the GOP President has to be only from one family. This is a potential problem for Hillary too but her resume and experience stand alone just fine now and she is not tainted by association with a failed Presidency (assuming the economy doesn't crater in the next few years).

It's possible that two terms would be enough time since his brother's presidency, but I suspect not.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

"[Nelson Rockefeller's withdrawl] does give a certain atmosphere of no competition.... The only thing I know about the Presidency the next time is this - I can't run." ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower, January 14, 1960.

"Q. Mr. Mohr: We understand that the power of decision is entirely yours, Mr. President. I just wondered if you could give us an example of a major idea of [Nixon's] that you had adopted in that role, as the decider and final–

THE PRESIDENT. If you give me a week, I might think of one. I don’t remember." ~ August 24, 1960.

They were such good buddies :allears:

Yeah, he didn't like or trust Nixon. He kept Nixon around because he served as a link to the far-right of the Republican Party, and he only reluctantly endorsed his candidacy in 1960.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
If Jeb Bush was nominated, I'm pretty sure all the Democrats would have to do is run ads of him with GW.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I don't know. That's how I feel, but some of my GOP friends quite like JB. Even those who don't like GWB.

I don't understand it either.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
He's the smart one.

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
The thing with Rand Paul is that despite him being a bit of a gadfly and beating McConnell's candidate in 2010 is that apparently he's built actual ties with McConnell to the point where McConnell is bringing on a Paul-land advisor to handle his re-elect (Jesse Benton). It's entirely likely that McConnell is just trying to stave off a primary challenge by linking himself to Paul but the flip side of that is that barring some epic backstabbing McConnell seems likely to support Paul for reelection.

I think the real questions with Paul are how crowded the presidential field is going to be and whether he can find a way to wink-nudge his dad's crowd while looking enough like a sane candidate that he can bring in some non-Paul tea party votes. If he can do that in a crowded field I could see him (best case) making what will appear to be a viable run until the crowd thins and everyone realizes his ceiling is like 30%.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

DinosaurEggSalad posted:

The thing with Rand Paul is that despite him being a bit of a gadfly and beating McConnell's candidate in 2010 is that apparently he's built actual ties with McConnell to the point where McConnell is bringing on a Paul-land advisor to handle his re-elect (Jesse Benton). It's entirely likely that McConnell is just trying to stave off a primary challenge by linking himself to Paul but the flip side of that is that barring some epic backstabbing McConnell seems likely to support Paul for reelection.

I think the real questions with Paul are how crowded the presidential field is going to be and whether he can find a way to wink-nudge his dad's crowd while looking enough like a sane candidate that he can bring in some non-Paul tea party votes. If he can do that in a crowded field I could see him (best case) making what will appear to be a viable run until the crowd thins and everyone realizes his ceiling is like 30%.

Isn't 30% enough depending on the competition, since the Republican primaries are winner-takes-all?

Sep 4, 2008

point of return posted:

Isn't 30% enough depending on the competition, since the Republican primaries are winner-takes-all?

I mean a) 30% is the best best best possible amount (I'm assuming he could pick up his dad's 15-20% plus a big segment of the population that went Cain-Gingrich-Sanatorum) and b) that's only possible if the field is both crowded and sort of lovely and c) still he might be able to steal New Hampshire and Nevada that way before enough candidates drop out and the establishment rallies around someone.

The problem for Paul is that even if the field is crowded, it might be crowded in a different way than 2012; instead of Romney and a bunch of weak candidates trying to appeal to an unsatisfied conservative base it's more likely its going to be crowded with Christie, Rubio, Ryan, McDonnell and maybe Walker/Sandoval/Jindal, all of which could generate excitement with various wings of the party. In that case Paul's hope would be rack up delegates and 'momentum' before the a single candidate emerges from each wing (I.e multiple Christian social conservatives, multiple slightly more moderate governors, etc).

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

point of return posted:

Wikipedia shows ~20 states were proportional this year.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

DonT15 posted:

Beyond the associations to his brother, Jeb's wife has always been pretty vocal about not wanting him to run. 2016 is going to be another bloodbath year, especially if Hillary decided to run and takes the primary. Hillary Clinton running against a Bush with the Obama campaign team behind her.. well the attacks on Romney will look like fluffy happy endorsements compared to what will hit the air. So I doubt Ms. Bush would be too happy with Jeb dragging her into that environment. Plus, the Clinton name carries more weight with hispanics than even the latino frienly Jeb can counter, whatever inroads the GOP could potentially make would be neutralized out of the gate. If they want to swing away from the fringe Christie is their best bet, Jeb comes with to many strings.

He walks in weak due to his family associations, gets no real demographic help where it is needed, with the only possible net positive being a good chance at taking Florida. I would be beyond shocked if this is the direction they went.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

DonT15 posted:

It would be impossible to separate JB from GWB.
  • In the past 24 years, the GOP has only been able to elect a member of the Bush family to the presidency. Look what those bushes did to the country.
  • Countless campaign events with both JB and GWB
  • People hate one family or even two familes being in control too long. That was a large reason people voted against Hillary I believe. Would've been Bush-Clinton-Bush-Clinton.
If they did pick JB I don't think he could separate himself from GWB in 2016 and would lose to the democratic candidate. I don't see them getting behind a candidate that has the stench of GWB.

ProFootballGuy
Nov 6, 2012

by angerbot
I said this in another thread, but Mike Huckabee will be a strong candidate for the Republicans in '16. He has a way of moderating his tone that most of the other Republicans don't, and he's incredibly likeable. He's also got the "next-in-line" thing going for him.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

ProFootballGuy posted:

I said this in another thread, but Mike Huckabee will be a strong candidate for the Republicans in '16. He has a way of moderating his tone that most of the other Republicans don't, and he's incredibly likeable. He's also got the "next-in-line" thing going for him.

If he ran in the primaries, he'd automatically have the white evangelical crowd locked up.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

ProFootballGuy posted:

He actually could because he's likeable, and has the additional advantage that he could soft pedal the culture war, Bible thumping crap because those voters already know he's one of them, he's got their vote by default.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Huckabee's been done for years. He makes way too much money jamming with the Nuge and Def Leppard once a week to bother with politics again.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Huckabee is too busy making mad cash by sitting on the side and complaining to actually go out and do something anymore.

He took the Palin train all the way to the bank. He won't run again, he has seen how its far more lucrative to bitch about things and not be responsible for them.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Jeb Bush has also been an astronomical dick on death penalty. I'm sure he'll get a lot of kudos out of that at the primary. :smith:

Sep 4, 2008

Plus, despite his likable demeanor, Huckabee would get eviscerated in a general election. All of those demographic problems that the GOP is slowly realizing they need to try and fix? He would make them worse. The Democratic Party could run Anthony Weiner and would still have a shot at it. Lets not forget that Huckabee was a guy who was standing with Akin till the end and castigating other republicans for criticizing him. He's proposed quarantining citizens with HIV. He wants to rewrite the constitution to meet 'god's standards'. Despite paying lip service to respecting the dignity of undocumented (or as he puts it, illegal) immigrants, he wants them to essentially self-deport.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

watt par posted:

Huckabee's been done for years. He makes way too much money jamming with the Nuge and Def Leppard once a week to bother with politics again.

Yeah, 2012 was his year and he sat it out. In 2016 he'll just be 10-years out of governorship, with only a fading memory of what he did as governor.

Sep 4, 2008

sullat posted:

Yeah, 2012 was his year and he sat it out. In 2016 he'll just be 10-years out of governorship, with only a fading memory of what he did as governor.

This too. I don't think it's a question that if he had made a serious run in 2012 he could have waltzed away with the nomination and I have to assume he knew it.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

People fuckin' love Hillary Clinton in Western New York, honestly not surprised.

I keep seeing Jindal saying reasonable things (most recently condemning Mitt Romney on 47% part 2) and...I'm sorry, I'm still not buying it. Certainly not on the "moderate" path; he has the baggage of cultural poo poo like the exorcism/anti-evolution stuff, and his record as governor wasn't very moderate, was it? I recall he was part of the "no stimulus funds" brigade.

I'm not really sure what niche he could fit into.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
There's nothing moderate about what Jindal's doing here it's just political survival 101.

Any half sensible politician would know the Republicans can't double down on "47%" and open minority bashing (especially now that it's definitively 52%). I can't imagine any Republican ever hoping to run for a statewide office again would stand behind those comments and the canny ones will use it as good opportunity to separate themselves from Romney's growing failure stench.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Jindal and Rubio are being so transparent about 2016 it's a bit off putting. That corpse is still warm, guys.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

DynamicSloth posted:

There's nothing moderate about what Jindal's doing here it's just political survival 101.

That was the most recent, but Jindal has done a few things like that by now - this Politico piece has most of them. My favorite was Jindal, an intelligent design proponent, saying the GOP needs to stop being the 'stupid party'.

He also included this:

quote:

“We’ve got to make sure that we are not the party of big business, big banks, big Wall Street bailouts, big corporate loopholes, big anything,” Jindal told POLITICO in a 45-minute telephone interview. “We cannot be, we must not be, the party that simply protects the rich so they get to keep their toys.”
Despite being red as hell I think Louisiana tends to be open to this kind of populism, so that isn't as surprising. But it feels overall that he's presenting himself as a moderate Republican to the country at large, at least for this early stage in the game.

(And yeah, his motivations are exceedingly obvious)

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Jindal is loving dreaming if he has eyes on the Presidency. Jesus. "We just not be the party of the stupid...hey guys, want to hear about this exorcism I witnessed?"

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Well let's just hope you've been taking some speech-givin' lessons, Bobby.

It really is amazing how those big speech opportunities on the national stage can make or break you.

Obama 2004 DNC Keynote? Has the mojo, clearly.
Jindal SOTU rebuttal? Does NOT have the mojo.
2012 DNC: Booker? Mojo. Castro? Mojo. O'Malley? No mojo.

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 15, 2012

The Collector
Aug 9, 2011

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Rats raining down in the night during the Stanley Cup finals.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Pillbug

Zwabu posted:

Well let's just hope you've been taking some speech-givin' lessons, Bobby.

It really is amazing how those big speech opportunities on the national stage can make or break you.

Obama 2004 DNC Keynote? Has the mojo, clearly.
Jindal SOTU rebuttal? Does NOT have the mojo.
2012 DNC: Booker? Mojo. Castro? Mojo. O'Malley? No mojo.

How does Clinton in 88(?) fit into this

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

^^^ Clinton's 88 speech was widely panned but the difference was he bounced back from it and from a rocky start in the '92 primary. In contrast, Evan Bayh's keynote address in...'92 or '96 was something he never really got over and now he is just the perennial VP-short-list guy.

Chris Hayes on his weekend MSNBC featured Gov Cuomo on his "What we now know this week that we didn't know last week" segment, talking about Cuomo's lack of support for Democrats running for the NY State Senate. Cuomo said that he didn't work against Republicans due to those that voted for the same-sex marriage bill that passed in part due to some Republican support, but Hayes pointed to one Republican who was defeated in a primary race and Cuomo didn't support that Democrat (Hayes didn't make it clear if that specific Senate seat went blue or stayed red). Hayes also pointed that one Brooklyn Democrat, elected as a Democrat, has announced that he'll be caucusing with Republicans and with two seats still going through a recount, the Dem majority is a thin margin and there might be a 30-30 tie. Hayes said that Cuomo is purposely doing this so that, when he runs for POTUS, he can tout bi-partisan support working with a Republican Senate that he wouldn't be able to do if it changed over to Democrats in both houses.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.

ProFootballGuy posted:

Huckabee will never be President. He doesn't want to be, for one thing, because he's making a killing on the sidelines commentating and writing books. And while he may lock up the white religious vote, 2012 was a clear indicator that that group is shrinking... however, Huckabee is somehow further right than Romney on social issues so not only does he basically get the same number of white votes that Romney got (or less, as demographics shift), he also loses more independents disgusted by his social views.

• Locked thread