Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

tonberrytoby posted:

Can anybody recommend good Go programs for Android. I am mainly looking for a go problems display.
I tried almost all of the free ones by now.
Until now WeGoIgo lite is my favorite, but it has some minor problems which annoy me.

Has anybody tried any of those non free tsumego apps? Can somebody give recommendations?

e: also, most of the programmer's sites recommend some collections that lead to forests of dead links, anybody know any good digital problem collections that are still being offered?

Magic Baduk Go is a collection of problems. It's got 4 levels of life and death problems and a collection of tesuji. I'm not sure how many programs are there in total but it seems like a decent amount for a free app.

edit: to quote for new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Blendy posted:

Magic Baduk Go is a collection of problems. It's got 4 levels of life and death problems and a collection of tesuji. I'm not sure how many programs are there in total but it seems like a decent amount for a free app.
It's a pay app. And I don't really want to install the free version as it got really lovely reviews, and wants to make phone calls from my phone.
Unless you have tied it already, and experienced no surprises?

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

tonberrytoby posted:

It's a pay app. And I don't really want to install the free version as it got really lovely reviews, and wants to make phone calls from my phone.
Unless you have tied it already, and experienced no surprises?

Unless things have changed than yeah I've had no surprises with the free version... The version I'm seeing has a rank of 4 stars and 90 reviews? Maybe I bought the paid one and forgot??? I dunno but it's a decent app and I can think it'd cost much (specially compared to a book of problems).

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Reading the chat in EGR makes you 3 stones weaker.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
One of the features Kaya wants to implement is automatic teaching feedback based on pattern matching. A guy volunteered to submit some pattern matching code to the code base. Today he was in support complaining. He pulled the file that should specify what the function receives and returns and all it said was this:

//Do pattern matching magic based on the sgf

Still he laid out his pseudo code in chat and another guy (still not the dev) told him half the poo poo he was talking about was already available in other modules. Second guy finally gave up and said he would reorganize everything if the lead guy didn't do it tomorrow.

I'm starting to feel bad for the people who gave money to this.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

I think kaya's biggest problem is recruiting people to play on it. I don't see how recruitment really works; I checked right now and there's ten people on the server. Kaya's just turned into another room on KGS, albeit an off-site one. What's the plan to get more people? Did they think they would just devour KGS from the inside?

KGS had the benefit of being first and being promoted in every Kiseido book. I don't see how Kaya is going to overcome the player problem even if they somehow finish their codebase.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Well, I've popped into Kaya recently and I must say that as a client it's really shaping up. The devs are working hard for sure. There's now SGF parsing which means you can review and branch out a la KGS, and they've made moves to make the most of the available window space. There's also a bunch of cool statistical features such as graphs, position in the global rankings, estimated games to rank-up etc. that gives it a nice edge. The ability to Google translate a line in the chat is also great and stuff like Malkovich comments, glossary linking and oh I don't know, TIMESTAMPS is very cool.

They've been working really hard on it and I can only see it getting better in the future, provided they don't go overboard with loads of pointless features. In fact they've got a pretty solid feature set and should probably wind it in and work on their existing features.

I don't know what their plan to get more people is, but right now I think their problem is twofold:

1. No ability to create rooms
2. A limited chat interface (not much room for lots of room tabs, the chat window is about a third of the screen

Without a really good community & chat feature, people won't want to stay on the server.

Once they sort the ability to hide the game listing on the right or separate the game list to a different screen, that will help a lot. Then, once the ability to create and administrate chatrooms is provided, the first step to becoming a good server is there since it'll pretty much have all the features of KGS and more.

Then comes the hard part - recruiting non-dick admins, advertising, improving the mobile experience, getting pros and luminaries to do feature games on the server, getting the interest of Asia (this could be tricky but they do have UTF-8 support and built-in translation), improving server response times, handling player load, developing a fair cheater/escaper policy, not burning out, etc, etc.

But I suppose if KGS meets the needs of English speaking go players it'll probably never succeed.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
A big strike against getting the Asian community is using html5. I do business there, and thhey never upgrade anything. Everyone still uses ie6 because all of their web apps still requires it. For example tygem has a hard time with newer browsers sometimes. I jahave to convert files to ppt 97 often, and many people use crt monitors still. The culture just doesnt have the obssesive replacement cycle we do.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, clients I work for raise an IE6 requirement even though their analytics show a < 1% usage; mainly because they get worldwide stats off the internet, and the whole of China still being on XP skews them. I don't think it's a cultural thing, it's just such a large % of their software is pirated, less internet-connected machines, and that as a result the majority of Chinese sites are written around IE6. There's the issue of IP laws too. The government probably makes no effort to endorse open-source software like in Brazil and/or other developing countries that have a surprising majority against IE.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Part of it's culture based. Like in Japan where people just don't know how to use PCs. There's no PC culture there, basically AT ALL. Everyone uses their cellphones for the internet and poo poo so people by and large just don't know how to use computers. I remember my Japanese friends coming over to my apartment and just being confused as to why I owned a laptop.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Well, I've popped into Kaya recently and I must say that as a client it's really shaping up. The devs are working hard for sure. There's now SGF parsing which means you can review and branch out a la KGS, and they've made moves to make the most of the available window space. There's also a bunch of cool statistical features such as graphs, position in the global rankings, estimated games to rank-up etc. that gives it a nice edge. The ability to Google translate a line in the chat is also great and stuff like Malkovich comments, glossary linking and oh I don't know, TIMESTAMPS is very cool.

They've been working really hard on it and I can only see it getting better in the future, provided they don't go overboard with loads of pointless features. In fact they've got a pretty solid feature set and should probably wind it in and work on their existing features.

I don't know what their plan to get more people is, but right now I think their problem is twofold:

1. No ability to create rooms
2. A limited chat interface (not much room for lots of room tabs, the chat window is about a third of the screen

Without a really good community & chat feature, people won't want to stay on the server.

Once they sort the ability to hide the game listing on the right or separate the game list to a different screen, that will help a lot. Then, once the ability to create and administrate chatrooms is provided, the first step to becoming a good server is there since it'll pretty much have all the features of KGS and more.

Then comes the hard part - recruiting non-dick admins, advertising, improving the mobile experience, getting pros and luminaries to do feature games on the server, getting the interest of Asia (this could be tricky but they do have UTF-8 support and built-in translation), improving server response times, handling player load, developing a fair cheater/escaper policy, not burning out, etc, etc.

But I suppose if KGS meets the needs of English speaking go players it'll probably never succeed.

I'm fairly optimistic about kaya in the future. They've been pretty amazingly consistent with releasing updates every week. I definitely think the next big thing they need to worry about is getting the ability to make your own chat room, just so more people will be hanging out on the server at any given time. Seems more important than hiding the game list, because the games list is only really going to be a problem if their population blows up.

I think they're working on getting the star-power thing happening, although I don't know how it's going as I haven't been on nearly as much in the last month or so. There's some guy who's giving lessons at random times, but since it's just some dude, and it's at random times, not quite there yet. :/

As you said, getting the community to actually be quality is the big step, and I guess we'll kind of have to wait and see how that develops.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

They also just added correspondence games; which is basically DGS but better. They'll need to convince DGS' player base to move over though

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
There is a new server in the beta stage called Go9Dan at go9dan.com
It is backed by Lee Sedol and promises many pros and pro lessons. The user interface is clean. The downside is that there are micro transactions for almost everything. Things like automatch, saving SGF file, observing pro or high dan games. People can also make SGF and sell them through the site. Sedol fought the KBA for control of his game records and I guess this is the end result.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Uncle Jam posted:

Sedol fought the KBA for control of his game records and I guess this is the end result.

Could you elaborate more on this? Why a fight for control of his game records? Does the KBA own them or something because they were the ones recording the match? And how does this site get around it?

EDIT: Just checked out the site, 50% of the screen estate is taken up by header and footer. Heh

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 19, 2012

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Could you elaborate more on this? Why a fight for control of his game records? Does the KBA own them or something because they were the ones recording the match? And how does this site get around it?

EDIT: Just checked out the site, 50% of the screen estate is taken up by header and footer. Heh

As far as I know, the KBA had some ownership of the game records and Lee Sedol disputed that. He quit going to tournaments to protest this. Apparently they worked it out or the law got interpreted or something and he came back with some sort of rights to his game records. Whether he owns them or they are just public domain, I'm not sure. Anyway, after he came back he started publishing books about his games, and then opened up this site with the ability to sell game records. So I assume in the end it boiled down to wanting to do books about his games without paying the KBA royalties. I am also not sure if his deal only applies to himself or all Korean players.

Here is a giant E/N post from another Korean pro when it happened. Unfortunately the guy/girl says that they don't know about the law so won't comment on the game records issue.

http://loveku.livejournal.com/47276.html

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
So I joined KGS again today. Apparently the sound is broken and WMS is too lazy to fix it. To be honest, I've kind of had it with WMS since he refused to fix another bug several years ago.

Is there no better server/client yet?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

uXs posted:

So I joined KGS again today. Apparently the sound is broken and WMS is too lazy to fix it. To be honest, I've kind of had it with WMS since he refused to fix another bug several years ago.

Is there no better server/client yet?
You can get the sound to work by setting Java to backward compatible mode, generally.

There is a manual somewhere on the KGS-help sites.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

tonberrytoby posted:

You can get the sound to work by setting Java to backward compatible mode, generally.

There is a manual somewhere on the KGS-help sites.

Well ok. I installed an old Java Version, that seemed the easiest way and it works now. Now to find a decent icon so I can use that instead of the Java coffee cup. (Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to name this game 'Go' anyway?)

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
If you don't mind hacking a bit of java in you can fix the stone sound in. I saw this solution:

quote:

If you want to modify your own client though, assuming you have decompiled source code, just search for the "pass.au" sound, copy/paste the line that loads it to do the same with the "stone.au" sound, and check the next 'if' command below that. It's the one that decides whether to play a pass or a stone sound. The 'else' bracket is the stone sound, there you can replace the a.b(0).c() method which calls the sound the old way by code you can easily derive from how "pass.au" is loaded: You'll end up with a simple line "yourstonesound.play();", exactly as with the pass sound.
Don't forget to declare a "private static AudioClip yourstonesound = null;" in the beginning, same as is done for the pass sound. It's really all just copy/pasting. ^^
(The "import java.applet.AudioClip;" is already there since it's used for the pass sound, so you don't need to add anything else. Yay!)

Yeah, the whole 'different Java sound system versions' that WMS claims is impossible to fix can be done with a paragraph.

Anyway, I guess its time to do a server effort post.

Established Servers

KGS - KGS Go Server
http://www.gokgs.com
This is the most popular server for English speaking players, but also has a lot of Russians, Finns, Eastern Europeans and Asians. There are many people on all of the time, and people are willing to teach beginners. The client is getting old and isn't supported anymore. The creator has been claiming to be working on a HTML client, but with the lack of evidence its not really taken seriously. Aside from the sound bug it runs reliably and is stable, with the major downside of having to install Java runtime on your computer.

This is where the main SA room is based.

Pros:
  • A lot of active people
  • Easy to get your game reviewed by someone
  • Private rooms
  • Almost 100% up time and program stability
  • All games are automatically saved in .sgf and can be accessed through the web
  • Monthly subscription gets you pro lectures
  • Android Client available

Cons:
  • Client isn't really updated anymore
  • The admins can be dumb - chat in public at your own risk
  • There aren't a lot of super strong players
  • Have to install java

IGS - Internet Go Server
This is a really old server. The clients used to connect through telnet but I think they've actually removed that now. It started in some university in the US, but the Kansai Kiin in Japan took it over. Many of the players are Japanese, but if you live in Japan you have to pay to access. It is free for everyone else. Canadian time is popular, and people typically play with slightly slower time controls, but its still blitz heavy. Almost nobody chats or observes games here.

The client protocol is somewhat open, so there are a lot of clients available. IGS is currently developing a new client themselves, called GoPanda2. It 'runs' in your browser, but you need Java Webstart which loads up outside your browser before dumping the client back into one of your tabs. It doesn't look too bad and new things are being added but it still rides on top of a very old protocol.

Pros:
  • Still a big user base, but ebbs and flows with Japan Time
  • Client is getting updated regularly
  • Multiple Android and iOS clients available
  • Kansai Kiin (Japanese pro org) will sometimes run special events here
  • There will be a client that can run on your grandma's 20 year old computer

Cons:
  • The admins are crazy here too
  • Almost impossible to get a game reviewed or any kind of teaching
  • The underlying protocol is a dinosaur
  • Most clients are really user unfriendly
  • Have to install java

Wbaduk - World Baduk Server
http://www.wbaduk.com
This is the world release of a Korean server, CyberOro. Many Western players revere Go as some sort of Zen thing, but to Asians its just another game. So you'll get called the Korean version of human being by 13 year olds, teabagged, and made fun of constantly in really broken English. English conversation is limited to discussing Adult Videos (AVs) and the Koreans and Chinese trying to insult each other. On the board you will be punished mercilessly if you can't handle overplays and the ranking system is hosed so you'll be facing all kinds of opponents. If you stay with it, you can learn a lot though.

The client is outdated, and features beyond playing on the board are intentionally broken and only available for people using the CyberOro one. Many buttons won't do anything, and navigating around the rooms/server concept will be confusing until you get the hang of it. You need to install some custom ActiveX control for it to work. Also, any Korean will be corrupted by Unicode/ANSI incompatibility.

Pros:
  • Super easy to get a game during Asia Evening time
  • Strong players here
  • You get to play strong players even if you don't want to
  • The website has a lot of good instructional videos, at least check those out
  • Voiced overtime counting
  • Nationalistic slap fights
  • Its a trial by fire

Cons:
  • Client is a steaming pile of poo poo, honestly.
  • You won't know what the gently caress you are doing, then suddenly be playing
  • People will game troll you sometimes
  • You might have to use IE to get it to start up correctly (an older version)

Tygem Baduk
http://www.tygembaduk.com
This is another Korean based server, which uses a strangely similar client. Pretty much everything from wBaduk applies here, except the client has more functions enabled, and seeing the Korean font works most of the time. They also provide an iPad client.

Pretty much the only different thing from wBaduk is you can bet on games. These are just fake points that you buy things with, like avatar upgrades or something. On both servers pro games get streamed often.

Pros:
  • The client is exactly like wBaduk but works better
  • Better English support than wBaduk
  • Every other pro from wBaduk

Cons:
  • No cool videos on their website
  • May have to use old IE to get it to boot up

New Servers
These servers were born in the past two years and aren't feature complete yet.

Kaya.gs - Kaya Go Server
This server was started in 2011 by a couple people as an alternative to KGS, english speaking server. The main goal is to provide the server in HTML5 so that it is compatible automatically in any platform. There is a large bells and whistles feature list that is pretty ambitious. It sustains itself on donations. Right now it is in open beta.

Currently, the client is super buggy. This is partly because of it being unfinished, and partly due to things like 'web standards' being an oxymoron. Unfortunately, a lot of the bugs directly impact playing, like timers suddenly going to 0, the server hiccuping and kicking everyone with the game disappearing. Also, the stone sound has no volume control and is kind of grating, like the stone is coming screaming down from orbit to impact the board. My favorite bug in the last few months was that when a ko was taken, it became illegal to capture a ko anywhere else on the board.

The player base is super small, basically less than 30 people idling at any moment. This is the last changelog:
code:
- Version: 1.21.0 
   - Name: Correspondence Email notifications 
   - Name: Preparations for the first Newsletter 
   - Name: Profile reorganization
My advise is to check back every few months to see if its become stable.

Pros:
  • A lot of bells and whistles not found on other servers
  • Runs in your browser without any download
  • Can play both real time and PBEM games
  • No admins

Cons:
  • Nobody but bots to play
  • Can be buggy as poo poo depending on broswer/OS choice
  • Stuff like chat scrolling when someone adds a new line has been broken forever
  • Crowd source adminning (seriously)
  • Makes you wish WMS would just add the cool features to KGS and gives you heartburn

Go9Dan
This is a really new server opened by Lee Sedol 9p. Grandopening is 1/20/2013, so its pretty empty right now. The big idea of this server it to enable microtransactions. For some things its cool, like pros putting commented SGF files up for a little money, but it oversteps the bounds with things like automatch, or even observing some games requiring server gold.

The server is also browser based and doesn't require a download, and looks much cleaner than Kaya.

Pros:
  • Direct support from professional players
  • Runs in your browser, looking nice
  • Professional web developers making it

Cons:
  • Really nobody on right now
  • Microtransactions, why

So, to answer your question, Kaya tried to make a new type of go server using modern web technology, but it looks like it might end up stuck in dev hell for a while. go9dan looks slick but requiring real money for normal things is a real boner blaster.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
That's a pretty sweet post, thanks.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

That should definitely go in the OP.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

That should definitely go in the OP.

Yo maybe someone make a new thread? A lot of the OP is outdated and the OP hasn't posted here in a year. Maybe that way we can convince people to learn a terrible game as part of their ny resolutions.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Uncle Jam posted:

Yo maybe someone make a new thread? A lot of the OP is outdated and the OP hasn't posted here in a year. Maybe that way we can convince people to learn a terrible game as part of their ny resolutions.

To be honest looking at the latest crap lovely has put in the topic maybe we shouldn't encourage anyone to play this

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Yeah, someone make a new thread. In TRAD GAMES, WHERE IT BELONGS.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Don't do that it'll die a death

Make a post in GBS with a very well written OP and you'll get loads of players, but don't do a half-assed job and don't move it. That's how it worked before until I stupidly asked for it to be moved to Trad Games

But if you're going to do that you'll need more people with ops access because right now very few people can actually add people to the channel

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

I can ask wossname to add that to the OP, since I don't know if he reads this thread anymore. It sure was cool when the owners list of itgo got purged for no reason...

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Younggil reviewed a game from the 17th Century, cool: http://gogameguru.com/classic-go-games-xu-xingyou-vs-huang-longshi-the-games-of-blood-and-tears/

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Why don't more people use online-go.com rather than DGS, anyway? Their Android client is amazing, and lets you put down conditional moves, which DGS doesn't, I believe. Plus they have user-run mini tournaments, bots of every skill level, just more features as a whole, really. I love playing Go at a few moves a day pace, and DGS just looks like poo poo to me.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Quad: I just signed up for online-go, and I love the idea of playing just a few moves per day. Where can I get the Android client?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.timk.ogsclient&hl=en

Yeah, its pretty handy for work.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Just read this, thought it was a pretty interesting read on how to get more out of reviewing pro games: http://gooften.net/essays/tens-guide-to-studying-professional-games/

surc fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 14, 2013

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Uncle Jam: thank you! Playing correspondence-style with conditional moves is awesome, so far. My name on there is WolfeFan, and I usually play in the evenings (7-11PM, CST). Also I'm probably pretty bad, since my experience is mostly from playing AI's.

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008
I get an itch to play go every 6-8 months but every time I come back to find my KGS account deleted for inactivity. Ughhhhhh.

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.

IMlemon posted:

I get an itch to play go every 6-8 months but every time I come back to find my KGS account deleted for inactivity. Ughhhhhh.

This is me, too. These correspondence games are intriguing though...

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Yet another new go server has opened up. It has real time and correspondence
It has groups, so I started an SA group. I think if we want to have some correspondence games with each other, this is the easiest way!

Nova Go Server
http://www.nova.gs

Nova is another web based client, throwing the yoke of Java off of the common baduk player. It has a bunch of different time settings and rulesets (including Ing SST if you're into the weird poo poo). There are also user groups and each group automatically gets a chat room. One of the cool things is that all of the ongoing games are displayed in a grid that shows their progression.

The correspondence games and real-time games are handled the same by the server, just that correspondence games are very long time controls. Its quite nice.

If you want to be added to the SA group, just let me know your in-server name and I can add you no problem. We can also select an icon and a banner image for our group, if you gotta any hot anime pics.

RoboBlaster
Mar 25, 2005

Run, Robot, Run.

Uncle Jam posted:

Nova Go Server

Looks cool, sign me up! (RoboBlaster)

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

RoboBlaster posted:

Looks cool, sign me up! (RoboBlaster)

Ok, added you and sent a challenge for a long run game.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

What's the best iPhone client for correspondence games?

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe

Tequila Bob posted:

Uncle Jam: thank you! Playing correspondence-style with conditional moves is awesome, so far. My name on there is WolfeFan, and I usually play in the evenings (7-11PM, CST). Also I'm probably pretty bad, since my experience is mostly from playing AI's.

Hey guy, I sent you a message on OGS, once I clear one of my 20 drat games I'd love to start one with you, I'm pretty bad too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Sounds good! Send me a challenge whenever you want.