Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

victrix posted:

I would dearly love to see Doom/2 go through a modern publisher approval process

The commentary on the rejection would be priceless

BUG: Player movement speed ridiculously high. Misplaced decimal?
BUG: Can't seem to heal no matter how long spent standing still.
BUG: Control setup is missing buttons for following features: cover, melee, grenade
BUG: Screen turns red when hit, but the blood overlay never appears.

Honestly, I found all of this in just five minutes of playing. What kind of poo poo are you iD Software guys trying to pull here? Your game is woefully incomplete and riddled with bugs. How do you expect this piece of poo poo to sell??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Don't worry, it has all been fixed with an unofficial patch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NURfvG0lfpA

Wait, you can crouch for cover, but there's still no melee and grenade functions.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
^^^ Kinda beaten, but I posted part 1. :smug:

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

BUG: Player movement speed ridiculously high. Misplaced decimal?
BUG: Can't seem to heal no matter how long spent standing still.
BUG: Control setup is missing buttons for following features: cover, melee, grenade
BUG: Screen turns red when hit, but the blood overlay never appears.

Honestly, I found all of this in just five minutes of playing. What kind of poo poo are you iD Software guys trying to pull here? Your game is woefully incomplete and riddled with bugs. How do you expect this piece of poo poo to sell??
I found a couple more... I hope they fix these before release. :ohdear:

BUG: BFG2000 way too broken (especially in multiplayer). Needs to be nerfed or removed completely.
BUG: No auto-save in single player campaign, even between levels.

Actually, this little joke reminds of this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4yIxUOWrtw

Edit: I didn't know this was an actual mod.

Obeast fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Nov 14, 2012

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Obeast posted:

BUG: No auto-save in single player campaign, even between levels.

TBH, this annoyed me about Doom. I much prefer how Zdoom autosaves at the beginning of the level.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Cat Mattress posted:

There's a full list of differences here. (As well as info on which source ports can be used.)

Some things I can kind of understand, disabling multiplayer is a really poor decision, but it would explain why they didn't catch the desynch bug with the wolfenstein soldiers replaced with zombies. And locking sounds at 11025, while I don't see why they'd need to do that, causing a few sounds to play slower due to their higher rate is obvious in hindsight (I'd assume they were all the same rate afterall) But disabling command lines, removing cheat codes and not having the confirmation for nightmare mode, as well as removing multiplayer.. were they trying to make this the shittiest version of Doom they could?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

QwertySanchez posted:

Some things I can kind of understand, disabling multiplayer is a really poor decision, but it would explain why they didn't catch the desynch bug with the wolfenstein soldiers replaced with zombies. And locking sounds at 11025, while I don't see why they'd need to do that, causing a few sounds to play slower due to their higher rate is obvious in hindsight (I'd assume they were all the same rate afterall) But disabling command lines, removing cheat codes and not having the confirmation for nightmare mode, as well as removing multiplayer.. were they trying to make this the shittiest version of Doom they could?

IIRC the BFG edition versions are based on the the XBLA ports, not the original PC game. That's why things like command lines and cheat codes are gone.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Is XWE simple to use? I want to replace sounds in Doom with silly noises and that seems to be the program for the job.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
XWE is an awful piece of poo poo that had support officially dropped for it like six years ago. It's known for corrupting WADs at the drop of a hat and I generally would advise against using it.

Try Slade3 instead. A much better editor. I've had it crash... maybe once? And none of my data was corrupted or ruined by it.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

bbcisdabomb posted:

TBH, this annoyed me about Doom. I much prefer how Zdoom autosaves at the beginning of the level.
Actually, thinking about it, that is a pretty valid complaint. Although, I'm always careful about saving at the beginning of each level, as well as before and after really hard parts (yes, I'm a loving wimp).

It's really bad, though, when a game much newer doesn't auto-save between levels. I'm looking at you XIII... :argh: I know it's not a new game in the slightest, but it's new enough to where you'd think the developers would put an auto-save between levels.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Doom levels are all designed to be playable from a pistol start, and in some cases actually play better that way. The way you restart levels without any of your guns or ammo is a pretty valid design choice from that perspective.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Playing Doom the Way id Did It in GZDoom r1353 with Brutal Doom and by E1M2 I already feel like dumping the wad. I got the red keycard but for the life of me I can't figure out what to do next. There was a darkened section that i cleared out that was opened by a switch at the bottom of a hidden elevator, very similar to the secret hallways in the real E1M2, but it didn't seem to lead anywhere and I think it was just a secret.

Then I went swimming in the big open slime pit to try and find another route and discovered that once you are in it, there is no way out: no stairs, no off-color wall that opens to an exit, nothing. That is definitely not the way id did it.

Also, when I loaded this wad, all my controls were deleted and the number keys won't switch weapons and the F-Keys don't seem to work either. Maybe a incompatibility between the source port and wad mixture? Any ideas?

Edit: Found it. Huge blood decal covered the switch that raises the bridge over the slime. Brutal Doom :allears:

Copper Vein fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Nov 15, 2012

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Shadow Warrior is now on GOG, if for some reason the idea of playing Shadow Warrior again appeals to you.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Kins posted:

Shadow Warrior is now on GOG, if for some reason the idea of playing Shadow Warrior again appeals to you.

You want to wash Wang, or watch Wang wash wang?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

The Kins posted:

Racism aside, it's a pretty fun Duke 3D-alike.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Hey why do the nipples in Duke3D look so terrifying?
This is what I'm talking about. :nws: if you are a Quaker or something.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Those are tassels.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Because fun fact: all of the strippers are modeled after Gillian Anderson.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Above Our Own posted:

When I was in 4th grade, I remember playing Duke 3D (when it first came out) on my friend's desktop. The "press 'use' on Stripper" thing was a late-night trick that we kept a secret from his parents. I really thought that was what a woman's nipples looked like. Big, awful, rubbery tubes--sort of like the elastic on a modern slingshot.

But yeah, they're tassles.

Also, I had a blast with Shadow Warrior. The tear gas grenades, the sword, the caltrops, being an rear end in a top hat in the crude vehicles the Build engine supported, the game was fun.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I also remember Shadow Warrior being really goddamn hard.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Above Our Own posted:

They're wearing these:

Okay, well no not these exact ones, but you get the idea.

I'm so happy to own Shadow Warrior again. It's been so long since I've chopped a dragon's head off and squeezed his brain like a bowling ball to immolate my enemies.

"Zilla sends his regards!" :unsmigghh:

EDIT: Should have refreshed before posting.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 15, 2012

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Kins posted:

Well it is the next closest thing to Duke 3D. Which is where you turn once you find out Blood and Redneck Rampage aren't anywhere near as fun. Or Tekwar, HAHAHAHA. 3dRealms was supposedly thinking about reviving Lo Wang now that they've got so much freetime, I won't be holding my breath.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I started messing around with SLADE but I'm not entirely sure how I can go about replacing sounds. I tried importing a sound but it was in MP3 format and I can't figure out how to get it into Doom format.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zeether posted:

I started messing around with SLADE but I'm not entirely sure how I can go about replacing sounds. I tried importing a sound but it was in MP3 format and I can't figure out how to get it into Doom format.
ZDoom can handle MP3 and OGG files natively, so if you're using that then don't worry too much.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

How would I replace the files in SLADE, though? Do I have to import MP3s and then rename them as the specific sounds I want?

Edit: Never mind, got it to work.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 15, 2012

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Yodzilla posted:

I also remember Shadow Warrior being really goddamn hard.

Really, all the Build Engine games are pretty drat hard. Hell, I think that Duke3D is the easiest, barring some lovely levels.

Redneck Rampage is, I think, the most difficult. I had to lower the health of some enemies because they were too much of a bulletsponge. Although the first half of Redneck Rampage is pretty bad in general.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

This might not have been the biggest year for Doom, but a last-minute Cacoward nominee that seems to be gaining some support is Beyond Reality. The final version was just released yesterday.

While it sometimes leans a little too hard on the 'wacky' (and there's those Deus Vult 2-ish poster images all over the place), the general theme is surrealism, and it works pretty well. 17 maps split into 3-4 level episodes with a strong, unique theme each, and pretty solid gameplay in general.

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

catlord posted:

Really, all the Build Engine games are pretty drat hard. Hell, I think that Duke3D is the easiest, barring some lovely levels.

Redneck Rampage is, I think, the most difficult. I had to lower the health of some enemies because they were too much of a bulletsponge. Although the first half of Redneck Rampage is pretty bad in general.

I think a lot of RR's difficulty probably comes from how rushed the game was in comparison to nearly all other big name BUILD engine games

I can't recall when it was first announced, but I know that they pretty much tried to cut their losses and ship out the game as fast as humanly possible since FPS was moving into true 3D, they even cut out two full episodes from the final release of the game

Also I hope GoG can get its hands onto more of the semi-decent and obscure FPS games in the near future, it would be pretty cool to see games like the witchaven series, Rebel Moon Rising, Last Rites, and Amulets & armor up on there in full non-glitchtastic glory

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Don't worry, it has all been fixed with an unofficial patch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NURfvG0lfpA

Wait, you can crouch for cover, but there's still no melee and grenade functions.

This seems really redundant. The guy already made jokes about combat areas, cutscenes, achievements and health regeneration in his first video (and the Quake video that inspired this) - why make another one except to revisit the circlejerk?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It was to celebrate the release of COD Black Ops. And rather than cutscenes in general, this one is more about parodying modern shooters' storytelling ("five years earlier", "the keycards, Ted, tell us what they mean").

Nevertheless, it's funnier than the first. If you get the actual mod, you'll see there's a bunch of extra content that makes it actually kinda entertaining for a couple minutes, like the Wolfenstein arcade and the zombie invasion mode.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

NoodleBox posted:

Also I hope GoG can get its hands onto more of the semi-decent and obscure FPS games in the near future, it would be pretty cool to see games like the witchaven series, Rebel Moon Rising, Last Rites, and Amulets & armor up on there in full non-glitchtastic glory

Man, I keep trying to play Amulets & Armour but the control scheme is too weird even for me.

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Man, I keep trying to play Amulets & Armour but the control scheme is too weird even for me.

I know how you feel and its weird because I'm perfectly fine playing something like The Legends of Grimrock, which has a really similar control scheme, and yet I just can't really stand A&A's controls all that much

I guess they just are all around pretty clunky even for that time period, still a really neat game though especially with all the stuff they were able to get the Doom engine to do

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

closeted republican posted:

Unreal 1 is one of my favorite FPS games ever made because of how it "feels". The combat, the wide-open spaces for you to explore and the music all combine to make a game that just feels right, and definitely isn't something you'd see come out today. I think its stood the test of time just as well as HL1 has.

Then you look at Gears of War and realize that Epic could never make something like Unreal 1 again in their current state and you get all :smith:.

I feel the same way, Unreal is still an amazing game, despite the dated graphics, and it saddens me that we'll never see classic style FPS games again since the gaming industry is so obsessed with Call of Halo: Modern Warfare. It hurts even more since UT3 sucked hard, Epic will probably never make another arena shooter because of it. :smithicide:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

NoodleBox posted:

I know how you feel and its weird because I'm perfectly fine playing something like The Legends of Grimrock, which has a really similar control scheme, and yet I just can't really stand A&A's controls all that much

I guess they just are all around pretty clunky even for that time period, still a really neat game though especially with all the stuff they were able to get the Doom engine to do

Yeah, it doesn't even seem like the controls should give me as much trouble as they do. I mean, I completed Ultima Underworld and Pathways into Darkness. I think people who complain about System Shock's control scheme are whiny babies. I played Wrath of Earth without going insane, for god's sake.

But for some reason A&A fucks me right up.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Starhawk64 posted:

I feel the same way, Unreal is still an amazing game, despite the dated graphics, and it saddens me that we'll never see classic style FPS games again since the gaming industry is so obsessed with Call of Halo: Modern Warfare. It hurts even more since UT3 sucked hard, Epic will probably never make another arena shooter because of it. :smithicide:

Truth be told I think Unreal was pretty terrible and I say that as a big fan of classic FPS games. It was a graphical showcase and a start of a series that eventually produced some really awesome stuff(Unreal Tournament) but Unreal itself was just not good.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I ended up moving a lot of Amulets & Armor's controls over to WASD so that I can do all of the movement and attacking with my left hand while keeping my right hand on my mouse for inventory management and stuff. It's worked out pretty well. Of course that doesn't do anything about the crash bugs. :smith:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I'm trying to play DOOM64EX and I cannot get Wadgen to work. I've got the ROM in .v64 format, but wadgen claims it's "not a valid n64 ROM". I can boot it in Project 64 just fine, though.

Is there a specific format I need to convert it to? Do I need to add/strip headers or something (is that even a thing that applies to n64 ROMs)? Does anyone know what checksum it should have, since as far as I can tell DOOM64EX doesn't document that anywhere?

Apparently it wanted it in z64 format. Onwards!

And now, since I have a gamepad plugged in, it refuses to let me rebind the keyboard. :suicide: -noxinput fixed it.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 18, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Is there any way to prevent Berserk packs from forcing you to switch to your fists? I can't count how many times I've been screwed up or killed because I ran over a random Berserk pack and now I'm trying to shoot my fists at enemies.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Have your fists out ahead of time. :v:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Just finished Memento Mori 2 with Brutal Doom on UV.

I'm not afraid to say it: Memento Mori was what Doom 2 should have been. It got everything right. Jesus, the fantastic close combat, the beautiful level design, the huge loving expansive levels, the hub levels, wonderful ammo and health placement that had me running all over the place and scrounging, Levels 26 and 27 kick loving rear end... I could go on and on. Play this if you haven't. Make sure to disable jumping.

EDIT: I guess I should go back and find the secret levels now :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:

WHOIS John Galt posted:

Just finished Memento Mori 2 with Brutal Doom on UV.

Your praise made me wanna run MM2, but while loading the wad I realized I hadn't finished MM1 so I gave that a shot.

I dunno, there's some cool stuff, but "The Mansion" feels like a bad 1994 wad and "Halls of Insanity" has some stupid layout and two blue keys (apparently to make me question my sanity?). Some levels start you out in a small pool of slime, or with cacodemons staring at your back. A lot of "really?" moments.

Brutal .17 seems solid.