Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mo0 posted:

Probably a stupid question, but is it known yet whether or not having a classic controller is a substitute for the Pro controller, or is that going to come down to what individual games decide to support?

Yeah, it's a per-game thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

xgalaxy posted:

I called best buy a few days ago and the lady I talked to was pretty frank and said they took more preorders than they had units and said there was going to be some pissed off people and I shouldn't bother waiting because whatever additional stock they were going to get from then until probably the end of Black Friday was gonna have to go to the oversold preorders.

Then two days later Target.com had their bundle and I got one through that.

God drat it, you had to post this right before I went to bed. I swear, if they tell me my preorder is not there at Best Buy tomorrow I will be a broken man.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zenintrude posted:

Once again, take everything this man says with a giant pile of salt... he is the Armond White of game critics.

Take any game critic with a giant pile of salt. There's so many factors going into making game reviews worse than any other kind of entertainment review that you just can't trust any review that's out before a month after a game's release.

I cancelled my ZombiU pre-order because I was already kind of skittish about it and and the video showed me that it didn't look like the game I thought it would be. And I know that if it does turn out well I can pick it up Wednesday.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I also had a question about New Super Mario Bros U, but I dunno if any media has mentioned it. Is it possible to play multiplayer with the gamepad being used as a sort of substitute Wii Remote? So like, if you've only got three remotes, can you use the gamepad to add a fourth player who's just a regular character without any platform making stuff?

You use the gamepad to play off the TV and also in singleplayer (since they won't be asking you to buy a Wii remote just to play the game) so I'm going to say yes.

Mo0 posted:

Probably a stupid question, but is it known yet whether or not having a classic controller is a substitute for the Pro controller, or is that going to come down to what individual games decide to support?

Yes it will depend on the individual game, as the CC lacks clickable analogue sticks. It's been reported that COD: Black Ops II supports the CC though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Ubisoft said there'll be eShop demos for both ZombiU and Rayman, so don't sweat it.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Godspeed all you goons standing in lines tonight for the chance at a console.

Went to Gamestop today, payed it and the two other games I'm getting off. Gonna try to get up somewhat early tomorrow morning so I can get back early and have more time to play during the day.

Also to race home and secure my Nintendo ID.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Does anyone know if I'll be able to set up my Nintendo ID on a friend's console? We're both getting ours tomorrow morning, and I'll be spending all day at his apartment where we're gonna play Mario Friends.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Wish I was there posting with cool games journos.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

Detective No. 27 posted:

Does anyone know if I'll be able to set up my Nintendo ID on a friend's console? We're both getting ours tomorrow morning, and I'll be spending all day at his apartment where we're gonna play Mario Friends.

On that livestream, I saw the option to create a new User from a NinNet ID, instead of creating a new account whole-cloth. So probably you can set it up on your friend's console, then re-use the ID when you get home.

Jet Set Jettison posted:

E: Also is there any sort of 'group' feature? So goons can draw goofy things just for eachother?

I think so:

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/built-in-software/#/miiverse posted:

Customize your settings
You can set the publish range of your profile or posts to "Everyone," "Friends Only," or "Private." This lets you control who sees your posts.

Presumably they don't have enough staff to moderate anything but "Everyone".

Mennonites Revenge fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 18, 2012

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Jet Set Jettison posted:

E: Also is there any sort of 'group' feature? So goons can draw goofy things just for eachother?

You mean penises right? And, I hope so, is the answer.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

You mean penises right? And, I hope so, is the answer.

Yes obviously. It is the only reason to buy a Wii U really.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I'm curious about how Assassin's Creed 3 truly looks and performs compared to on the other platforms, given that it's believed to be native 1080p and 60fps. Wonder if there'll be many direct comparisons of cross-platform games in that vein in reviews once the console comes out.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The video chat isn't too bad for a built in mic.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

it's believed to be native 1080p and 60fps.

Who'd believe that?

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Pretty sure it's been claimed by a number of sources. Maybe BS, sure, but that's partly why I'm interested in the comparison.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I do not believe for 1 second that AC3 is 1080p and 60fps. Twice as many pixels twice as often as the 360/PS3 and right at the beginning of its life? Come on, now.

Googling "wii u assassins creed 3 1080p" reveals no credible sources confirming it's even at 1080p, let alone 60fps on top of that.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
There's no way Assassin's Creed will be 1080p native, and I'd say almost no way it'll be 60fps either, even at 720p.

The devs have said that they're trying to get the graphics up to par with the other versions, but it won't look better. Also it'll be missing some graphical effects supposedly.

http://xbigygames.com/assassins-creed-3-still-playing-catch-up-on-the-wiiu/

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Pretty sure it's been claimed by a number of sources. Maybe BS, sure, but that's partly why I'm interested in the comparison.

There's no way.
You could put ME3's worse Wii U performance down to bad port job, but this game chokes the 360 to death at 720P. It would be miraculous.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Yay! Christmas is saved, found a different Best Buy with a short line :D

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

http://www.own3d.tv/messaffect/live/400562
They're in Wii mode now. Looks really weird to just open up the Wii OS in software.

edit: Over. I was hoping they'd do a transfer.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
A number of articles refer to a Nintendo rep specifically stating both those things, and at least one I remember also referring to Ubisoft themselves. Not saying I definitely believe it, but definitively claiming "no way" strikes me as somewhat rash. I know the Gametrailers editor-in-chief said he thought the Wii U version was the best looking.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Teenage Fansub posted:

Wish I was there posting with cool games journos.

Suddenly I find myself saddened that I have all the artistic abilities and sense of two dead sloths. :(

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

A number of articles refer to a Nintendo rep specifically stating both those things, and at least one I remember also referring to Ubisoft themselves. Not saying I definitely believe it, but definitively claiming "no way" strikes me as somewhat rash. I know the Gametrailers editor-in-chief said he thought the Wii U version was the best looking.

Link me to them because the article I could find with the best source was this:
http://mynintendonews.com/2012/10/23/assassins-creed-3-wii-u-is-exactly-the-same-as-other-versions/

Which says it's "exactly the same".

edit: a hands-on claiming it's the same:
http://www.nowgamer.com/features/1603368/better_on_wii_u_assassins_creed_3_mass_effect_3_darksiders_2_handson.html

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 18, 2012

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

If it was in 1080p and 60fps, it'd be in every preview article on every website on the Internet. It'd be a major selling point.

Not only is it surely not 60fps, but I think the Japanese box specifically lists the game as 720p only. Could be remembering wrong but I know images of the back of the box are out there on the net so go look them up.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo reps don't know jack about anything, including their own games.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
So, ZombiU got a 4.5/10 from Gamespot. That's a bit of a bummer. Definitely making it hard to go for the premium bundle. Any other redeeming launch titles? Link to review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wSG2BGe3_c

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nintendo reps don't know jack about anything, including their own games.

If you needed proof, look at the rep comments about how the coins in NSMB2 were "totally" not a gimmick :rolleyes:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Launch ports won't be in any way shape or form representative of the wii u's ability due to the fact that they're rushed to market, the devs have to learn the new platform, and there's not a ton of money to be made on a port selling only to early adopters, so it doesn't warrant a ton of effort either.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Link me to them because the article I could find with the best source was this:
http://mynintendonews.com/2012/10/23/assassins-creed-3-wii-u-is-exactly-the-same-as-other-versions/

Which says it's "exactly the same".

edit: a hands-on claiming it's the same:
http://www.nowgamer.com/features/1603368/better_on_wii_u_assassins_creed_3_mass_effect_3_darksiders_2_handson.html

Articles referring to the rep:

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/07/third-party-wii-u-games-to-run-at-1080p-at-launch/
http://www.gamingvlog.net/2012/07/23/third-party-wii-u-games-will-run-in-1080p/

Gametrailers EIC quote:

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/08/05/gametrailers-editor-says-assassins-creed-3-looks-best-on-wii-u-teases-unannounced-multiplatform-game/

Can't find the one referring to Ubisoft themselves right now.

Again though, you're barking up the wrong tree if you think I'm positing these as "proof". And I take the point about Nintendo reps being ignorant.

But with a console released so many years after the PS3/Xbox, it doesn't seem reasonable to write off the Wii U outperforming them to that extent, even at launch.

Guess it won't be long before we know, anyway.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

flyboi posted:

If you needed proof, look at the rep comments about how the coins in NSMB2 were "totally" not a gimmick :rolleyes:

...they're not? Coin Rush is really fun.

(I know you're talking about the reward for getting a million coins and not just the coins themselves, but this needs to be reiterated: Coin Rush is really fun.)

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I'm curious about how Assassin's Creed 3 truly looks and performs compared to on the other platforms, given that it's believed to be native 1080p and 60fps. Wonder if there'll be many direct comparisons of cross-platform games in that vein in reviews once the console comes out.

I cant speak to stats, but I have the game in sitting here next to me beggin for a console, so I will tell you how it plays tomorrow. Cant judge cross platform for this particular game, but I can compare it to all the other AC games which I played on ps3, so Im familiar with how the series looks and feels.

I bet at midnight when reviews for it go live you will see direct comparisons on sites, so you got that going for you.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 18, 2012

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Bombadilillo posted:

I cant speak to stats, but I have the game in sitting here next to me beggin for a console, so I will tell you how it plays tomorrow. Cant judge cross platform for this particular game, but I can compare it to all the other AC games which I played on ps3, so Im familiar with how the series looks and feels.

Cool. Look foward to reading yours and others' thoughts.

Need something to tide me over for the next 10 days until I get mine.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Cool. Look foward to reading yours and others' thoughts.

Need something to tide me over for the next 10 days until I get mine.

I just shot over to IGN, they usually do side by side comparisons for games, not up yet, BUT the review for the wiiU version isnt either so I assume its embargoed. So expect side by sides to be up at midnight with the reviews, they will for sure do this with a big AAA title and a new console.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Crowbear posted:

There's no way Assassin's Creed will be 1080p native, and I'd say almost no way it'll be 60fps either, even at 720p.

The devs have said that they're trying to get the graphics up to par with the other versions, but it won't look better. Also it'll be missing some graphical effects supposedly.

http://xbigygames.com/assassins-creed-3-still-playing-catch-up-on-the-wiiu/

I saw Assassin's Creed III being played on a Wii U at a gaming trade show the other day, it was 720p, definitely (Or they were using 32 inch HD ready LCDs, doubt it.), and the framerate wasn't anything special either, in it's defense people were playing a ship level.

You don't have to over analyze it either, the WiiU is comparable to a 360's performance. Which is awesome considering the unit's size.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Apparently a good number of the launch titles are available on the eShop (at no discount, unlike the JP eShop) - pretty much everything but Batman and Activision's stuff, it seems.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

But with a console released so many years after the PS3/Xbox, it doesn't seem reasonable to write off the Wii U outperforming them to that extent, even at launch.

If you don't dial down your expectations you are going to be pretty disappointed with this system.
You can expect very marginally better ports and marginally worse ports.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It can outperform them but that's not the point. This is a launch. The ports are going to be rushed, have choppy framerates, be unoptimized, etc. IT'S A LAUNCH TITLE. not an end of cycle title.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I am not surprised that in typical Ubisoft launch fashion, ZombiU is trash.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Teenage Fansub posted:

If you don't dial down your expectations you are going to be pretty disappointed with this system.
You can expect very marginally better ports and marginally worse ports.

I don't feel comfortable backing a Nintendo machine as the prime contender for third party multi platform games. The strength of Nintendo is first party, and will always be first party. What the WiiU will do, is produce some games in the line of "What if Starfox ran on a 360's hardware in full hd?" which is majorly exciting to me!

If you want to talk performance, the gamecube and wii were the same loving machine, two generations of the same hardware! This is a completely new system, it's going to be rad, key word, *going* to be.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Teenage Fansub posted:

You are going to be pretty disappointed with this system.

That doesn't follow logically, given that I've made plain I have no firm expectations on the AC3 technical specs nor remotely implied that my entire enjoyment of the console is predicated on anything of the sort.

All I ultimately want is for to look at least as good as the other versions, and maybe run a bit more smoothly than AC2/Brotherhood/Revelations did on my PS3, though anything beyond is obviously welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I like the Wii U as the official Indie Box, if Nintendo has finally learned from their mistakes as that IGN article claims. Developers have really come to hate XBLA and PSN and embraced Steam. If eShop becomes the console version of Steam, it's going to bring a huge bounty of smaller games from devs who can finally patch their games freely and set their own prices and set their own sales.

I like the games on XBLA more than I like most 360 titles, but I dont care for the Xbox interface or it's storefront or its crappy pricing and sales.

• Locked thread