Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opus125
Jul 29, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Any tips on the first Eternal Battle fight? The game stripped me of my magical and dodging abilities for the fight, and worse, there's encroaching fire that encircles you so you basically can't effectively run away.

Edit: Never mind. I dumped seven skill points into the sword tree. They were quite easy.

Opus125 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opus125
Jul 29, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Man, I'm quite gripped by this game. I think I'm nearing the end of act 2. Usually I only play single player games as a reprieve from SC2, but now I'm just eager to go home from work and continue Geralt's quest. And a significant factor here is the storytelling and characters, though to be honest I don't quite have a grasp of the world and its history.

One part that made me laugh out loud...

My decision to betray the poor fellow who was haunted by the ghosts to the ghosts. I felt so lovely ( since I joined the ghosts in slaying the dude only to have one of the ghosts taunt you about being such a naive fool etc etc) that I reloaded a save to make the correct decision (after laughing hysterically).

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
That got me wondering, what do you guys think is the most hosed up thing you can make Geralt do?

I think my vote is for (Witcher 1)killing Vincent. What's the justification here besides playing the most ridiculously narrow-minded "all 'monsters' must die" Geralt possible?

Honorable mention to (Iorveth's Path/Act 3)having sex with Cynthia while Triss is still being held captive for just being hilariously hosed up.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 17, 2012

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Lycus posted:

That got me wondering, what do you guys think is the most hosed up thing you can make Geralt do?

I think my vote is for (Witcher 1)killing Vincent. What's the justification here besides playing the most ridiculously narrow-minded "all 'monsters' must die" Geralt possible?

Honorable mention to (Iorveth's Path/Act 3)having sex with Cynthia while Triss is still being held captive for just being hilariously hosed up.

Witcher 2 act 1 giving the Kaedweni murderers/rapists to Loredo's mother is potentially pretty hosed up even if they deserved it.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

CD Project conference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7ebXg-2i6E

Quick rundown...

- Puddle, Giana Sisters, Deponia 2 up for sale/pre-order on GOG.
- Mac support for a number of GOG games http://www.gog.com/catalogue/?system=osx
- Mac version of the Witcher 2
- Cyberpunk 2077 will be a sandbox oriented RPG, the creator of the P&P game Mike Pondsmith is on board with CD Project to work on the game.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Lycus posted:

You can do that? Holy poo poo.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

CD Project conference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7ebXg-2i6E

Quick rundown...

- Puddle, Giana Sisters, Deponia 2 up for sale/pre-order on GOG.
- Mac support for a number of GOG games http://www.gog.com/catalogue/?system=osx
- Mac version of the Witcher 2
- Cyberpunk 2077 will be a sandbox oriented RPG, the creator of the P&P game Mike Pondsmith is on board with CD Project to work on the game.

Cool can't wait for cyberpunk!

Also they're going to open Witcher 2 to modding so it'd be interesting what awesome things fans can come up with.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

GoldenNugget posted:

Also they're going to open Witcher 2 to modding so it'd be interesting what awesome things fans can come up with.

Did anything really great come out of the modding tools for Witcher 1? It feels like the Witcher series should have a devout fanbase of nerds who churn out good mods. But I've never heard of Witcher mods being a thing like, say, Elder Scrolls mods (obviously a lot more popular series but still).

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Did anything really great come out of the modding tools for Witcher 1? It feels like the Witcher series should have a devout fanbase of nerds who churn out good mods. But I've never heard of Witcher mods being a thing like, say, Elder Scrolls mods (obviously a lot more popular series but still).

I think I remember a few. I don't think the tools were nearly as good as REDkit is promising to be, though.

Sped-up video of making a basic environment and quest in 23 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-CEQFvsiTs

RobTG
Sep 11, 2001

by T. Finninho
Hopefully a bigger landmass with some monsters to hunt. Witcher 2 didn't give me the monster hunting feeling that Witcher 1 did.

Vivoviparous
Sep 8, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've been waiting over a year to play this game, and it finally came out for macs.

The problem is, there's a glitch during the kayran fight on computers who aren't complete monsters where the QTE event craps out and you just fall off the tentacle FOREVER.

The only solution is to upload a save game and have a generous soul beat the fight, save it, and reupload the save game. Goons got me into this mess, hyping TW all to hell. I bought the 2 books that are translated into English, I beat TW1 twice, I've been agonizing over not having a computer hoss enough to play this game for over a year. I thought my Macbook Pro could do it, but apparently 512 mb of graphics memory just doesn't cut it even with every single graphics option on the lowest setting.

But there's no save games folder, and no support on the cdproject site. I've heard if I make it past this part there's no more horrible QTE to advance.

Any ideas, gentlemen and ladies? I'll buy anyone who solves this any $10 upgrade they want.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Vivoviparous posted:

But there's no save games folder

Really? I haven't used a Mac since those old Apple II they had in school when I was a kid, but they really don't store saves anywhere?

In Windows 7 they store them "C:\Users\[User Name]\Documents\Witcher 2\gamesaves". Is there no equivalent location on Mac?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Try User\Library\com.cdprojektred.TheWitcher2 or something. Also you might want to turn off turn off steam cloud save if you're using it.

Vivoviparous
Sep 8, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I found it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?5jn6k3hxnnov0hs

Kill the Krayan, stand by the corpse for me to loot. I'll buy you a $10 thing.

Thank you a bunch.

e: The library folder where the saves are stored is hidden and you have to manually type in ~library to get there. I sort of hate macs. A little.

Vivoviparous fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Nov 8, 2012

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
With an incentive like that, how could I refuse?

http://www.2shared.com/file/XKraLI5O/ManualSave_0188.html

I'd have done it for free, but if you insist, I take a Platinum Upgrade.

Vivoviparous
Sep 8, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Riso you beautiful person, I need your email address to upgrade you.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Vivoviparous posted:

Riso you beautiful person, I need your email address to upgrade you.

mailriso <at> gmail.com

I just remembered I had the same problem with the game on the old computer :v:

Vivoviparous
Sep 8, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think that should do it. Thanks again.

The game continues to be awesome, I just wish they had a little sympathy for people with mediocre computers. Skyrim runs fine with medium settings on my crappy laptop with a 256mb Intel card, and it's really the story and characters that set those two games apart more than the graphics.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Thanks for the upgrade, and enjoy the game.

I think the reason Skyrim runs a lot better is because it was made for crummy consoles first.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Have any mods been done? 90% the fun of NWN/2 was the mods.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I finally downloaded the Enhanced Edition after not playing since the original came out only to run into an annoying problem with the game crashing to desktop when I try to start a New Game, while it's loading the first cutscene or the Tutorial. No error messages, no nothing.

Playing the Steam version, trying to Google this problem hasn't given me any good fixes. I've tried verifying the game files, reinstalling the game completely, and messing around with some other options to no success. Anyone have any solutions? :smith:

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Long shot, but I'd start with upgrading your nVidia or ATI video drivers to the latest. What version of windows?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Do you get punished much for skipping the contracts and stuff? I find them really tedious and spent 2 hours jerking around trying to accomplish a few for what seemed like pretty minor rewards. With everything being unmarked and the areas being pretty round-about and confusing, it killed my desire to play for the night.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Faffel posted:

Do you get punished much for skipping the contracts and stuff? I find them really tedious and spent 2 hours jerking around trying to accomplish a few for what seemed like pretty minor rewards. With everything being unmarked and the areas being pretty round-about and confusing, it killed my desire to play for the night.
You only punishment is not getting the money and XP. Though I'll tell you that future contracts won't be as annoying as the Nekker Contract when it comes to finding the targets. That one's the worst of it.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Lycus posted:

You only punishment is not getting the money and XP. Though I'll tell you that future contracts won't be as annoying as the Nekker Contract when it comes to finding the targets. That one's the worst of it.

Harpy contract sucks too.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Harpy contract sucks too.
Yeah, true. They really should've given you some hint that you have to proceed with the main quest before you can finish it. Like, after you take out the first four, just have Geralt say to himself: "Hmm, I may be able to find more nests if I can find some way into the canyon."

Lycus fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 27, 2012

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Snapped this up in the Steam sale for £5 on the recommendation of one of the Gamers with Jobs crew. Fell in love the moment I saw the opening cinematic, did the tutorial this morning but got stuck at the part in which you are asked to do a Riposte. Can't seem to get the icon to appear.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Are you locked on? The targeting icon should be larger than a normal one if you are.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I had the same icon problem with Riposte. Its very finnicky & when it does appear it tends to blend in with the highly detailed armor/shirts

There isnt much else covered after, so I'd just start the game proper

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Lycus posted:

Haha. Okay. I was just getting awful flashbacks of the first area in The Witcher 1 and it made me wanna die.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
The contracts are really only necessary if you're trying to craft the Dark Mode armor or need the XP to better survive the early game in Dark Mode.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I'm making my way through chapter 2 and I'm loving this game, I just have two questions:

1. Is there a way to access some kind of battle/inventory log? Sometimes I'll get quest rewards and have no idea what they were unless I go through my inventory. If the reward is monetary than I have no clue at all.

2. Is there any point to buying books? I splurged on a library's worth from the sorceress' apprentice and I didn't see any pop up notifying me that I gained new knowledge after I read them. The flavor text itself didn't really say much about tactics or weakness of monsters either.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

notZaar posted:

2. Is there any point to buying books? I splurged on a library's worth from the sorceress' apprentice and I didn't see any pop up notifying me that I gained new knowledge after I read them. The flavor text itself didn't really say much about tactics or weakness of monsters either.
For monster books, that flavor text is only the first paragraph (out of three) of the full text. The other two paragraphs have all the tactics stuff. To read that part, you have to go to Character > Attributes > Knowledge.

For the first objective in the Contract quests, you have to either read the monster book for that monster or kill enough of that monster to fill your Knowledge with the three parts.

The other books are just lore.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

notZaar posted:

I'm making my way through chapter 2 and I'm loving this game, I just have two questions:

1. Is there a way to access some kind of battle/inventory log? Sometimes I'll get quest rewards and have no idea what they were unless I go through my inventory. If the reward is monetary than I have no clue at all.

If you dont want to read the flavor text which can sometimes be interesting I dont think you actually have to buy any books (unlike the first witcher) however there are some effects to reading books, for example in Act 1 for the nekker contract reading the book on nekkers allows geralt to "know" that he has to blow up their nests to drive them off. If you dont read the book you have to kill a bunch of nekkers and geralt will eventually realize he has to blow up the nests.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I replayed the tut to test the riposte. From Game:v:FAQs "I thought to riposte you had to parry first wait for the blow and look for the icon. It does not work that way. You have to hold parry and watch your opponents body. Before he even lands his attack the riposte symbol will appear on his body very briefly and that is when you attack."

To add to this, you also need some vigor, which you probably dont have at that immediate point in the tutorial. Just run around a bit until your vigor fills up, lock on with Alt, hold E, and just as the opponent starts to swing the icon appears. If you perform a parry then its too late.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Playing through hard mode for the first time is a bad time to also be doing the entirety of the melitele's heart quest for the first time. Doing it at level 7 certainly didn't help. Frustrating as hell, but winning after a solid 3 or so minutes of fighting dirty as poo poo felt so good.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Yeah, the Melitele's Heart fight can be one of the tougher fights in the game at first. I like loading up on Dancing Stars and Conflagurations, drop the Conflagurations everywhere before talking to Anezka, then spend most of the fight rolling around with Quen up throwing Dancing Stars like mad.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hello Witcher thread, I'm bumping this because I'm downloading TW1 on GOG and possibly TW2 if I end up enjoying it. I've always been interested in playing this series but I can be kind of picky about RPGs and lose drive easily if it's really unclear what I should be doing or where I should be going...anything you could recommend to keep that from happening in the first game?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

exquisite tea posted:

Hello Witcher thread, I'm bumping this because I'm downloading TW1 on GOG and possibly TW2 if I end up enjoying it. I've always been interested in playing this series but I can be kind of picky about RPGs and lose drive easily if it's really unclear what I should be doing or where I should be going...anything you could recommend to keep that from happening in the first game?

Just focus on the main quest and if you get bored, do the side quests. You can 100% do things which is fun but first time through I did lose interest. That being said, the first three chapters of Witcher 1 are slow. Chapter 2 especially. 4, 5, and epilogue are amazing!

Witcher 2 is very different in gameplay but really good overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Technical question! The shadows in this game look really odd to me. They all have a sort of dithering effect, like somebody trying to save a file with too many colors as a GIF. Is this how the game renders shadows or is there something I can do about this?

• Locked thread