Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Quest For Glory II posted:

I like the Wii U as the official Indie Box, if Nintendo has finally learned from their mistakes as that IGN article claims. Developers have really come to hate XBLA and PSN and embraced Steam. If eShop becomes the console version of Steam, it's going to bring a huge bounty of smaller games from devs who can finally patch their games freely and set their own prices and set their own sales.

XBLA yes, but Sony has done some good work with Indie devs recently with stuff like the Pub Fund.

Still, more options for Indie's is never a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Yay finally went to my local eb and preordered; it's the best place to do so at since its in the middle of three giant shopping centre districts and hence gets nobody ever (at the MW3 launch they had three people and everyone who turned up got triple the normal bundled stuff as it was just lying around :D). Now, to decide what games to get with it (stupid Au delayed launch so at least I get a while to consider Internet reactions :) ).

I didn't see it anywhere but does anyone have a good link to information about how the feature of playing games on the tablet when the tv is busy? It's one of the features that sold it to my decidedly non-gamer wife...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Okay, so here's the full digital launch lineup for NA:

Retail downloads (all MSRP):

quote:

New Super Mario Bros. U
Assassin's Creed 3
Darksiders 2
Epic Mickey 2
ESPN Sports Connection (what the hell is this?)
FIFA 13
Game Party
Just Dance 4
Madden 13
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Rabbids Land
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Sing Party
Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed
Warriors Orochi 3
ZombiU

eShop games:

quote:

Chasing Aurora ($14.99)
Little Inferno ($14.99)
Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition ($9.99)
Nano Assault Neo ($9.99)
Trine 2: Special Edition ($19.99)

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 18, 2012

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Nano Assault 9.99$ :swoon: WOW, I was expecting 15.99 for sure.

AC3 chat.

http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/16/3654874/assassins-creed-3-wii-u-images-gamepad-functionality#!/3896559

Take a gander over here. Look at the gamepad functionality. Look at the big detailed map you get compared to a little circle in the corner of the screen, thats what I am excited for and why I am playing it on WiiU.

Well, that and I want to use my shiny new toy of course!

I maintain that just a better map, or a always there weapon select menu adds so much over another version I will play everything on WiiU.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 18, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I like the Wii U as the official Indie Box, if Nintendo has finally learned from their mistakes as that IGN article claims. Developers have really come to hate XBLA and PSN and embraced Steam. If eShop becomes the console version of Steam, it's going to bring a huge bounty of smaller games from devs who can finally patch their games freely and set their own prices and set their own sales.

I like the games on XBLA more than I like most 360 titles, but I dont care for the Xbox interface or it's storefront or its crappy pricing and sales.

Don't forget they paid to have Bayonetta 2 made. Looks like they're trying to get in good with the smaller third-party devs as well as the big companies.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Real tempted to get Scribblenauts Unlimited as my first digital purchase for this.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Just a heads up that the Transfer Tool is currently available for download from the Wii Shop Channel, so you can grab that now to save a little time tomorrow.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Retail downloads (all MSRP):

eShop games:
No VC then, like I've assumed?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

I'm just reporting what I've been told, I can't check for myself, but I guess not.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

To this point is there a source for these numbers, the WiiU site doesnt have it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bombadilillo posted:

To this point is there a source for these numbers, the WiiU site doesnt have it.
I'm assuming this info comes from people who have wii us early, because the firmware update went live at 7 PM ET.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I will be in heaven once we start to get some turn-based strategies on this system. It seems perfect. I would absolutely love being able to relax on my couch with that gamepad and play something like Shadow Wars or Advanced Wars in HD. Or Civ.

I'm really excited for what these end-of-cycle games are going to be like. Once the developers have the hardware for a while, they're going to put out some seriously interesting stuff. The other consoles won't be able to imitate it. What the PS3+Vita and 360+Smart Glass combinations will never be able to achieve is the assumption that every gamer can produce that setup.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Supercar Gautier posted:

Just a heads up that the Transfer Tool is currently available for download from the Wii Shop Channel, so you can grab that now to save a little time tomorrow.

Oh cool. And it looks like Wii finally got Youtube! A little too late though.

The animation of the Pikmin holding transporting the icon is morbid in the most :3: way.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I thought someone mentioned someone was going to be doing a twitch.tv live stream of all the games at launch or something? Anybody know where that is exactly?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

xgalaxy posted:

I thought someone mentioned someone was going to be doing a twitch.tv love stream of all the games at launch or something? Anybody know where that is exactly?

giantbomb.com are doing one tomorrow at 11am PST/2pm EST

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Any Walmart trip reports yet?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

iajanus posted:

I didn't see it anywhere but does anyone have a good link to information about how the feature of playing games on the tablet when the tv is busy? It's one of the features that sold it to my decidedly non-gamer wife...

It works on a game-by-game basis, i.e. it is the developer's choice to put this feature into a game. Although it looks as if the majority of games will have it, as most of them don't absolutely require both screens to be used at the same time.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I've been watching the stream at http://www.own3d.tv/messaffect/live/400562

The music that plays while waiting for a response in Wii U Chat is a parody of generic on-hold music and it is absolutely hilarious. Forget the Shop Channel music.

shadowobsessed
Jul 1, 2010

No worms on the bed!
Asking because I couldn't find it on a search, is the Wii U backwards compatible with Wii discs? I thought I read that it was but I just wanted to make sure. If yes that's awesome, because our Wii is out of commission so I could vastly expand our library :)

also yayy, picking up my Deluxe tomorrow at TRU.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh cool. And it looks like Wii finally got Youtube! A little too late though.

The animation of the Pikmin holding transporting the icon is morbid in the most :3: way.

I've been watching YouTube videos on the Wii for years.

egoslicer
Jun 13, 2007

beergod posted:

At WalMart in Brentwood TN in line,5th place and guy says they have 8 and only one console per person.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

shadowobsessed posted:

Asking because I couldn't find it on a search, is the Wii U backwards compatible with Wii discs? I thought I read that it was but I just wanted to make sure. If yes that's awesome, because our Wii is out of commission so I could vastly expand our library :)

also yayy, picking up my Deluxe tomorrow at TRU.
Yes, the U plays Wii games. It goes into Wii Mode which is pretty much identical to using an original Wii.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
I've had my Wii U since Friday, but did not go online with it yet. I've been mostly playing AC3 and Mario. The graphics are great and I made the right call buying AC3 for Wii U. The game runs very smooth and I love remote play. It's great being able to take the gamepad into my bedroom for some late night playing. I can take it anywhere in my apartment with no problem.

Naval battles with the gamepad also own hardcore and I love being able to remove the HUD from the TV. Having a full map on the gamepad as opposed to a tiny circle on the TV makes it easier to find your way around. I'll post my ID when I get online and set up my account.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Chronojam posted:

I've been watching YouTube videos on the Wii for years.

Huh. Is the channel new? I used to use the browser to get on Youtube. Didn't notice the channel til now.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Detective No. 27 posted:

Huh. Is the channel new? I used to use the browser to get on Youtube. Didn't notice the channel til now.

Yeah the channel came out this Thursday at random. A bit late, but might been done since they were doing one for the Wii U and probably figure it was easy to make a port to the Wii.

Any word on anyone transferring their games from a Homebrew Wii? Just need to know if I need to change anything with the channel before deleting the Homebrew Channel.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh, right. Yeah you have always been able to use the browser, is what I meant. Do you get points for downloading the YouTube app?

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Welp. 12.01. Happy Wii U day. I'm not getting this until Bayonetta drops, most likely, but here's hoping everyone enjoys their new toy and gets their money's worth.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
How long does the battery last in the WiiU controller? Can you hook up headphones to it?

bluegoon fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 18, 2012

shadowobsessed
Jul 1, 2010

No worms on the bed!

Pablo Gigante posted:

Yes, the U plays Wii games. It goes into Wii Mode which is pretty much identical to using an original Wii.

Sweet, thanks! That makes my day :D

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I'm curious about how Assassin's Creed 3 truly looks and performs compared to on the other platforms, given that it's believed to be native 1080p and 60fps. Wonder if there'll be many direct comparisons of cross-platform games in that vein in reviews once the console comes out.

It looks great but I can't compare it to other versions. I used to buy them all for Xbox and AC3 looks so much better than the last one.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Looks like Miiverse has separate buttons for "Report Violation" and "Report Spoilers."

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Glumwheels posted:

I'll post my ID when I get online and set up my account.

Ok, here are the options for this. Waffleopolis said he was going to collect IDs through a bot on an irc channel, but he doesn't have PMs so Waffleopolis if you are out there how is that coming along?

We could also have a thread just for this purpose. I've asked Louisgod about this.

Third we could post them in this thread using the :siren: smiley so they stand out and can be put in the OP. This isn't the most ideal way though.

OR, or, I just though of this, we could simply ask people to put their IDs in their SA profiles, along with what games they're playing.

What do you guys think?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

bluegoon posted:

How long does the battery last in the WiiU controller? Can you hook up headphones to it?

3-5 Hours and yes you can.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
So are retail games downloaded through eShop tied to your username or to the hardware? If my Wii U explodes, and I need to get a new one, can I redownload all my games?

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
They are tied to your Username ("Nintendo Network ID").

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Disappointing Pie posted:

3-5 Hours and yes you can.

Any idea how long it takes to charge it back up to 100%?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

beergod posted:

I've got one.

"I'm here to pick up my Wii U layaway."
"We can't do anything with Wii Us until 8:15 tomorrow morning for some reason."

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mennonites Revenge posted:

They are tied to your Username ("Nintendo Network ID").

Nintendo making sensible decisions about online capabilities? :monocle:

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Ok, here are the options for this. Waffleopolis said he was going to collect IDs through a bot on an irc channel, but he doesn't have PMs so Waffleopolis if you are out there how is that coming along?

We could also have a thread just for this purpose. I've asked Louisgod about this.

Third we could post them in this thread using the :siren: smiley so they stand out and can be put in the OP. This isn't the most ideal way though.

OR, or, I just though of this, we could simply ask people to put their IDs in their SA profiles, along with what games they're playing.

What do you guys think?

Idk but just posting randomly in the thread is a good way to ignore IDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I've got one.

"I'm here to pick up my Wii U layaway."
"We can't do anything with Wii Us until 8:15 tomorrow morning for some reason."

Good to know, have one sitting in layaway for me that they called me twice about, which is cool.

• Locked thread