Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

PAL-land includes Australia/New Zealand and random parts of Oceania.

For the Wii-shop and E-Shop Aus/NZ have been separate stores from the UK, so a piece of advice to Aussies n' Kiwis, sign up as a UK machine for better prices and less weirdly absent games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Louisgod posted:

DID THESE THINGS

That's much better :neckbeard:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'm pretty sure he did mention the size when he was talking about the real amount of space that would be available on each version of the console after the update.

Well he said the OS was around 5GB yes. I didn't know the update was the entire OS.

I really hope the reports about the console bricking if the update gets interrupted are false because that is loving horrible.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 18, 2012

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003
So how is it so far?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

DinosaurHouseParty posted:

So how is it so far?

Everyone is looking at progress bars on their GamePads.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

DinosaurHouseParty posted:

So how is it so far?

Nice blue progress bar on a bright whie screen. As far as updates go, I give it a 4/5.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
The guy that was streaming before is now playing NSMB with someone:
http://www.own3d.tv/messaffect/live/400562

and sucking at it

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Teenage Fansub posted:

For the Wii-shop and E-Shop Aus/NZ have been separate stores from the UK, so a piece of advice to Aussies n' Kiwis, sign up as a UK machine for better prices and less weirdly absent games.

Yeah, I was gonna mention that but I don't know if it'll affect your Premium points or whatever.

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003
I'm missing out!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I still have to wait another two weeks to stare bleakly at the progress bar :negative:.

Teenage Fansub posted:

The premium code might be region-locked though. The Wii (or Wii-Mode) VC licenses might screw with this too down the line if they make some way to transfer them to the WiiU proper.

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin
If you're staring at an update screen and want to watch something, my co-workers are running through the launch titles on a stream here:
http://twitch.tv/gamesradar

They're playing Super Scribblenauts Unlimited right now.
Edit: They're playing Tank Tank Tank now

They have multiple cameras, so in some cases they show you what's happening on the gamepad while they play.

plasticbugs fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 18, 2012

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

This guy is about to play Scribblenauts Unlimited:

http://twitch.tv/qik1

Edit: He's setting up a camera to show the GamePad as he plays.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Nov 18, 2012

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

japtor posted:

and sucking at it

Yeah they're not even trying to kill each other at every opportunity.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Just a reminder that there's a power save feature on the Wii U that shuts it completely off after a certain period of time with no activity. Hopefully the download is considered "activity" but better safe than sorry. I'm assuming you can get into the settings before starting the update. Now I kinda wish there we had a midnight launch around here. Would've been nice to let it update while I slept. Getting a 5GB or so game from PSN takes a few hours for me. I'm guessing Nintendo's servers are about the same, especially when getting bombarded. Ah well, just a minor inconvenience (unless it bricks :ohdear: )

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

parasyte posted:

Trip Report: Discovered that the Wal-Mart in town is no longer 24 hours! Closed from midnight to 6AM.

Gonna make the rounds by Target and Wal-Mart after midnight and see how the lines are (or aren't).

There was no one lined up at my local store. I didn't even get any street passes.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Static Rook posted:

Just a reminder that there's a power save feature on the Wii U that shuts it completely off after a certain period of time with no activity. Hopefully the download is considered "activity" but better safe than sorry. I'm assuming you can get into the settings before starting the update. Now I kinda wish there we had a midnight launch around here. Would've been nice to let it update while I slept. Getting a 5GB or so game from PSN takes a few hours for me. I'm guessing Nintendo's servers are about the same, especially when getting bombarded. Ah well, just a minor inconvenience (unless it bricks :ohdear: )

It says that before you start the update that the auto shutdown is disabled during the update process.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I can't loving believe that the frimware update is 5 gigs, which makes the normal Wii U sku even worse. Jesus christ nintendo :psyduck:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Yessssss

Due to my speedy purchase and setup I got the Nintendo ID "Hamburglar" (my old username)

:thumbsup:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

PonchAxis posted:

I can't loving believe that the frimware update is 5 gigs, which makes the normal Wii U sku even worse. Jesus christ nintendo :psyduck:

Nintendo, loving up online? Well I never. I can't wait to leave this thing running the rest of the night.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

PonchAxis posted:

Rich from IGN confirmed he maintained the same space he had before the update. So it's just downloading, installing then deleting itself.

https://twitter.com/RichIGN/status/269999796612378624

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Nov 18, 2012

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

PonchAxis posted:

Ahahahahahahahahaha the white console is so loving worthless what the gently caress Nintendo? I'm picking mine up tomorrow morning but goddamnit.

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!

japtor posted:

and sucking at it

Gotta say the music in this game is super annoying. "baaaah!!"

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Yessssss

Due to my speedy purchase and setup I got the Nintendo ID "Hamburglar" (my old username)

:thumbsup:

I hope I get my name. 20% into the update now go go go!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I really hope that is just a onetime thing and the rest aren't as big (i.e. not downloading the entire OS), but that there is bullshit.

Dineren
Dec 14, 2008
Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure the update is more like 1-1.5GB, a streamer was monitoring his bandwidth while doing the update. Still way too big and absolutely terrible download speeds from Nintendo though.

Aeros Wilhelm
Sep 2, 2011

Is it safe to let the GamePad charge while I run the update? I'm a little :tinfoil: about these sorts of things. Also how long does it take to fully charge the GamePad?

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Anyone else having issues connecting to wifi?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

weird bleep posted:

It seems weird to review a system when half the features were only added a few hours ago.

It seems weird to review a system in general to me... If you are taking games into consideration in the review, wouldn't it make more sense to review it at the end of it's lifespan instead of the beginning? I guess they are doing the sliding review score or whatever, but the concept of applying a review score to a system seems strange to me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CaptainPoopsock posted:

Gotta say the music in this game is super annoying. "baaaah!!"

Have you not played an NSMB game? The annoying vocals and dancing enemies are a staple.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

I hope I get my name. 20% into the update now go go go!

Was gonna register a few cool usernames but it looks like only one Nintendo Connect account per Wii U :(

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Was gonna register a few cool usernames but it looks like only one Nintendo Connect account per Wii U :(

I thought you could have up to 10 per system...?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mo0 posted:

I added a Mii but I see no way to link it to a Nintendo Network ID account?

A little help over here someone?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Ports/remakes of old games and a slow 5 GB firmware update. Not regretting skipping out on this launch.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Haruharuharuko posted:

Ahahahahahahahahaha the white console is so loving worthless what the gently caress Nintendo? I'm picking mine up tomorrow morning but goddamnit.
Does the Deluxe come with the update pre-installed or something? What does the update have to do with the SKU you bought?

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Argue posted:

Does the Deluxe come with the update pre-installed or something? What does the update have to do with the SKU you bought?

No I was saying that its worthless as you have to have so much space free to even download the patch. And no the update has to be downloaded no matter which unit you bought.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Argue posted:

What he's saying is a 5gb download is massive on the white system's puny 8gb storage. There've already been reports that you only get about 3 once the OS is done with it.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Argue posted:

No, all of them require you to download the patch and relax guys it's definitely not 5GB. I don't know the exact number but I've been watching the bandwidth on my connection and i'm at around 600MB with 60%. It's likely a 1.1 or 1.5GB patch people just like to whine about everything.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mo0 posted:

Never mind, you're correct!

ultimateluigi987
Feb 14, 2012
Got my Deluxe, along with Sonic Racing! :getin: First one in line at Wal-Mart, didn't even need a pre-order!

...now I've gotta wait for it to update. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Why are people parroting a rumor about a 5GB download when they neither have the console nor a source? People want to be mad.

• Locked thread