Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Toady posted:

Kotaku:

I can't think of a device you can use while updating.
Just go to sleep, y'all.

edit: https://www.giantbomb.com quick looks for Nintendoland, NSMBU and ZombiU are up now.

ee: For quick access:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87hk7HCzV2s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMhMPknFPlY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTDQg_xUf3E

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Nov 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Quick Looks of NSMBU, Nintendoland, and Zomboo just went up on Giant Bomb

FUCK TORNADO
Sep 10, 2008
Giant Bomb's quicklooks are up for Wii U.

"I'm happy to report that ZombiU is pretty awesome"

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-zombiu/17-6810/

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Giantbomb has their quicklooks up, also i'd be willing to Toxx that microsoft and sony's next systems will have day 1 updates guaranteed.

Edit: :argh:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

katkillad2 posted:

Giantbomb has their quicklooks up, also i'd be willing to Toxx that microsoft and sony's next systems will have day 1 updates guaranteed.

Edit: :argh:

These days, day one updates are nothing because we're living in a reality of day-one paid DLC.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
New SMB U has a day 1 update too :saddowns:

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Does it try to connect, and then fail, or does it just go "Nope, poo poo ain't happening" the moment you tell it connect?

I get this message:

Then this message:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Oh man. the way Nintendoland mirrors the pad's view of the hub is not advantageous to other viewers in the room. It's sort of nauseating.

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin

bluegoon posted:

Just what the gently caress exactly is Lucas Sullivan doing playing WiiU on a Gamesradar twitch.tv feed?

Ha! Lucas works for Gamesradar now. He was an intern/contributing editor for PC Gamer. Still the same company: Future Publishing.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

I can't think of a device you can use while updating.
Just go to sleep, y'all.

Day one updates are not uncommon. The issue is that it's taken over an hour for the "1 GB" download, and it's not even daytime Sunday yet. Start your updates now if you can!

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Teenage Fansub posted:

Wii U being torn apart live.
http://www.twitch.tv/pcper

e: with screwdrivers.

This got shut down, new stream at Nevermind, it's back up, but this stream has better video quality: http://www.pcper.com/live/

X-Clamp on the big chip confirmed. I don't know if this is a bad thing or not.

They're going to tear down the controller next.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Nov 18, 2012

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Yechezkel posted:

This got shut down, new stream at http://www.pcper.com/live/

X-Clamp on the big chip confirmed. I don't know if this is a bad thing or not.

It won't produce enough heat to do anything.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Toady posted:

Day one updates are not uncommon. The issue is that it's taken over an hour for the "1 GB" download, and it's not even daytime Sunday yet. Start your updates now if you can!

Or just skip the update until they figure this all out or you're not using the system? My plan is to not start the update until tomorrow evening after I'm done playing so it has all night and the next day to update until I get home from work.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

flyboi posted:

New SMB U has a day 1 update too :saddowns:

Nintendo patching their games!? :aaaaa:

And yeah, Fred Meyer had enough deluxe units for most walk-in customers including myself. First kid in line was so happy walking out with his he did the nerdy hushed faux-yell of triumph as he held it aloft. Would have been adorable if he wasn't sixteen-ish.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Republicans posted:

And yeah, Fred Meyer had enough deluxe units for most walk-in customers including myself. First kid in line was so happy walking out with his he did the nerdy hushed faux-yell of triumph as he held it aloft. Would have been adorable if he wasn't sixteen-ish.

That's definitely a lot better than a lot of other midnight lines I've been to where the attitude is "LATER, SHITLORDS!!! *Peels out of parking lot*". An attitude that like a third of the line seems to adopt when they get their thing.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Republicans posted:

Nintendo patching their games!? :aaaaa:

NintendoLand seems to have a day 1 update as well... I wonder if Scribblenauts does as well.

Edit: Nope no update on scribblenauts. Neat thing though, you can tell Wii U to do a background download on updates and start the app so you can get to having fun and update later.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Nov 18, 2012

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Man ZombiU seems janky. The first like, 15 minutes of the quick look featured zombies getting caught in geometry and clipping through stuff and ragdolls spazzing out.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Crowbear posted:

Man ZombiU seems janky. The first like, 15 minutes of the quick look featured zombies getting caught in geometry and clipping through stuff and ragdolls spazzing out.

Still looks pretty fun though.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Ohtsam posted:

Still looks pretty fun though.

Eh. I think the melee combat looks pretty bad, and all the comparisons to Dark Souls are very superficial.

Also none of the touchscreen stuff looks fun to me.

Color me unimpressed.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Apparently you use your cricket bat for like 95% of single player? good lord.

Based on the gamespot video review the game seems almost as bad as red steel for the wii... (look at these ham fisted implementations of the controller!!)

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Goddamnit I am more excited than I thought I would be damnit! I can't wait until 10 am.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
If you're connecting your Wii U to the internet, go ahead and say no to the update when it asks and start playing Nintendo Land - my system auto-downloaded the update while I was playing and as I quit out to the main hub it just said "Gonna update now!" and installed it in under 5 minutes.

Setting up Nintendo Network IDs is super easy and the shop is pretty well laid out. Downloading NSMBWU tonight for those sweet 599 Deluxe bonus points.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Aww, they stripped the screws holding the Gamepad together and couldn't get it open.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Can anyone who went to a GameStop/EB Games say if they had the Wii/Wii U LAN adapters? My Wi-Fi sucks and I figure I'll have to buy the attachment to plug in an ethernet cable, but I've been having some bad luck finding them and I wanted to know if its just out of print or if I've been visiting bad stores.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Policenaut posted:

Can anyone who went to a GameStop/EB Games say if they had the Wii/Wii U LAN adapters? My Wi-Fi sucks and I figure I'll have to buy the attachment to plug in an ethernet cable, but I've been having some bad luck finding them and I wanted to know if its just out of print or if I've been visiting bad stores.

You don't need Nintendo-branded adapters, any old USB LAN adapter will do (for Wii, at least).

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

CubsWoo posted:

If you're connecting your Wii U to the internet, go ahead and say no to the update when it asks and start playing Nintendo Land - my system auto-downloaded the update while I was playing and as I quit out to the main hub it just said "Gonna update now!" and installed it in under 5 minutes.

This is pretty dope info, thanks!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You don't need Nintendo-branded adapters, any old USB LAN adapter will do (for Wii, at least).

Why did no-one tell me before the search I went through to track down one? :negative:

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Policenaut posted:

http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wc...rencyPreference

Buy it from the Nintendo online store.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for this! My Wii U is like a Christmas thing so I won't mind waiting some time for shipping.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well, all the places I checked did not have one. I can wait a few days.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Netflix app is available day 1 (download it from the eshop to update it) and it streams to the Gamepad with a touch.

E: The system autodetects your USB storage after you update and prompts you to format. Easy.

E2: No sales tax in my zip code when ordering from the shop, only takes Visa/Mastercard. I was getting errors trying to buy the game directly but adding funds($50 then $10) then buying it with banked funds was no problem. Downloads go automatically in the background and you can have the console power down once they're done with a setting switch.

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Nov 18, 2012

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Is transferring data from a Wii to the WiiU difficult? What exactly will I need to do?

Ancillary Drone
Nov 30, 2004

fast hackem
Has anyone gotten Netflix to work? I do a Member Sign In and the only thing you can click after that is Finish Sign in which wants your name and credit card info?? Shouldnt it be giving me an activation code?

I know it's signing me in because if I put bad info in it lets me know. Also, there's a Sign Out button that appears once you're signed in.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
I watched the Quick Look for ZombiU and it looked pretty good to me. The "oh gently caress!" reaction the Giant Bomb guy had whenever a zombie or two came at him was great. It does look limited in what it's trying to do, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It kinda reminds me, in a weird way that I can't fully explain, of Tokyo Jungle. The multiplayer looks fun, too.

The Gamepad stuff seems mostly okay. Even the tapping part was quick. It's probably not worth $60, but I'll get it anyway because of my Launchitis. We'll probably need a thread for it to contain all the bickering.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

gently caress TORNADO posted:

"I'm happy to report that ZombiU is pretty awesome"

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-zombiu/17-6810/

Thanks for that. There is hope again.

Any one of you jerks who are getting the console way before me seen a network adapter in-store? It'd be nice not to have to deal with wireless. As I recall the original Wii either required the Nintendo branded adapter or it was a gamble.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I think ZambiWiiUNintendo looks pretty awesome, but I'm a sucker for these kinds of games. Damnit, I told myself I wasn't going to buy this loving console. God drat it. I shouldn't be spending this kind of money at the moment!

I am weak.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
NSMBU requiring wii remotes for any multiplayer is dumb. I have none and was planning on buying a pro controller for 2 player for my wife and I. So much for that idea.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Struck out big time. Does anyone know if Costco is getting any in?

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!
Anyone having an issue with no audio in a center speaker in a 5.1 setup with Zombi U? I got nothin, it's really strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Mailer posted:

Any one of you jerks who are getting the console way before me seen a network adapter in-store? It'd be nice not to have to deal with wireless. As I recall the original Wii either required the Nintendo branded adapter or it was a gamble.

Just asked earlier up the page a bit, but you can order it directly from Nintendo here. I've tried looking in stores but I can never find it, so I'm just gonna order it direct.

• Locked thread